• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 835 Views, 9 Comments

Circumstantial Evidence - Mad Hatter



Sun Shower gets a call from the Ponyville Fire Department, and things are more gruesome than usual.

  • ...
 9
 835

Intermission: Waiting for Celebrity

The massive double doors opened and shut behind them, showing it's doppelganger at the far end. The waiting room had, as is reasonable, no change whatsoever in the short time since Sun Shower's first trial. The only differences were most of the faces of the waiting accused, and a different pony working behind the desk. This younger mare retained freckles under a pale blue mane and over a tan coat. Upon seeing Twilight, she did what any responsible schedule-keeping unicorn would do.

She fangirled out on the spot.

A telekinetically-held pen hit the floor and papers in her immediate vicinity disorganized themselves slightly on the desk as she pushed the chair back in a jumping motion. “T-Twilight Sparkle!”

A majority of muzzles turned in the direction of the first bit of entertainment in hours. Reactions varied from noticeable interest to intensified fear regarding their own reasons for being there. The show continued with her galloping towards her quarry, stopping merely a foot from her muzzle.

“I-it's such an honor to meet you – I always wanted to meet the Princess' faithful student!” She takes Twilight's hoof into both of hers and gives an intense shake that would've been respectable to a farmpony. “There's so much I want to ask you! You know, I wanted to go to Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, but my family didn't have the money. It doesn't matter though, think I did pretty good for myself, right?” The starry-eyed stare continued as Twilight looked between her, Zecora, and the door.

Twilight collected herself just before needing her breathing exercises and began to answer. “Yes, of course. Always nice to meet a... fan. Before we start talking about our individual exploits, perhaps we can sign in?” The over-excited mare blinked a few times, realization sinking in.

“O-of course, Ms. Sparkle. Right this way!” as she practically dragged the protégé' with her to the desk where she picked up the pen and straightened her papers. Zecora plodded behind, reaching the desk a few seconds after the first two, even in such a short distance. Twilight calmly signed her name on the sheet in it's proper place and stepped aside, pen laid at the edge of the table for Zecora's signature. The zebra reluctantly took the writing instrument in her muzzle and signed in the place just below Twilight's. The mare of the mahogany noticed the attitude of Zecora and leaned in with a sneer.

“So that's why Twilight Sparkle's here. She caught you red-hoofed doing something? Don't deny it, zebra – the courts will deal with you and she'll-” Remaining words were suppressed when a small flare of magic lit up Twilight's horn.

“No. That's not why I'm here. You listen to me – We are here for reasons of our own, and if you keep throwing around accusations, it will mean your job. Understand?” The cold tone surprised both Zecora and Twilight's fan as the aura dissipated. By this time the guards were standing next to the group.

“What's the meaning of this interruption?” a stone-faced guard inquired while starting down the three.

Twilight answered without shifting her equally stoic gaze. “It seems the new employee has forgotten protocol four.” (Protocol four being the responsibility of the employee to reserve judgment regarding anypony brought in and process all petitioners equally). The guard gave a blank stare for a moment to try and remember what that exact rule was. Instead, he turned to the secretary and asked “And your rebuttal, miss Glossy Ink?”

Glossy looked sheepish for a moment, digging through memories to recall that exact rule herself. Once it hit her she looked outright nervous. “Um, yes sir.” Turning to Twilight “I'm very sorry Ms. Sparkle, I forgot my place for a moment.”

“I'm not the one to apologize to, Ms. Ink.”

Glossy turned her head to Zecora but didn't make eye contact. “I apologize Ms...” looking at the sheet “Zecora. It was unprofessional of me.”

Zecora's expression took on a slight edge of annoyance that faded after her reply. “I accept your apology, but please mind your job as it ought to be.” With that she returned to moping and took a nearby space against the wall.

“Seems that's settled, please excuse us officer.” as she took her place nearby.