• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 834 Views, 9 Comments

Circumstantial Evidence - Mad Hatter



Sun Shower gets a call from the Ponyville Fire Department, and things are more gruesome than usual.

  • ...
 9
 834

Grim Realizations

It was blood. Java Chip had caught himself on the machine when it malfunctioned, and paid for it dearly. The sudden realization brought the smells of the gore and burnt flesh to Sun in a hurry. She had seen death before in her line of work, but this was especially gruesome. A quick check, flying near the ceiling showed that he was the only pony here, and apparently the only victim. She returned to the station and walked into the office. “Get the coroner.” and the address was the only thing she had to say.

Back at the shop, the coroner quickly developed a case of the dry heaves. “Suck it up, the worst is over.” Sun flatly stated. Sans bones and the hoof still attached to the creation, there wasn't much to collect. Plenty to clean up though. Arrangements were made and the Chips were contacted. They reacted as expected.

Sun watched the funeral from a distance. A (Obviously) closed-casket affair, somber and simple, laced with tradition. The standard for earth ponies. She walked home as the crowd herded themselves to the reception for Java's favorite coffees and reminisces regarding him. She had been given a couple of days off; a standard practice for when things like this happened, rare as they were in Equestria.

Sun took a cup of tea, almost feeling bad for not having coffee this time. The record player was set up with a regular of hers.

I must've dreamed a thousand dreams
been haunted by a million screams
but I can hear the marching hooves
they're marching into the streets
now did you read the news today
they say the danger's gone away
but I can see the fire's still alight
and burning into the night

There's too many stallions
too many ponies making too many problems
and there's no friendship to go 'round
can't you see Equestria's in confusion ah ah ah ah

This is the world we live in (Oh oh oh)
and these are the hooves we're given (Oh oh oh)
use them and let's start trying (Oh oh oh)
to make it a place worth living in

Oh Mare-do-well where are you now...

Sun Shower was always into the heavy stuff. She went through her regular workout to this, putting even more energy than usual into it, despite knowing that it wouldn't have saved this one. It was the night she'd usually go out, but these occurrences just ruined the mood. An early night was the result.

The next morning she had the usual routine, almost waiting to get back to work. Sun wasn't heartless by any means, but it was almost expected eventually, and she was mentally prepared for it. What wasn't prepared for arrived in the mail.

Sun Shower,
You are hereby required to report to Canterlot Court Tuesday at nine am. Any attempt to flee will result in capture and an additional charge of evading justice. You will answer any questions before the court and it's heads, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna in all honesty in all cases.
Equestria Dept. of Justice

This was bad news. Sun turned to the other page, filled with normally minor details. It seemed like a mistake of the system until she reached a mid-point.

Murder... Java Chip of Ponyville.

Tuesday was tomorrow. For the first time in a year, Sun felt sick.

Author's Note:

Along with the standard notice given at the top of chapter 1, the ponified lyrics are based off of "Land of Confusion": Copyright Genesis (Though this version is based on the cover done by Disturbed).