• Published 17th Sep 2011
  • 5,598 Views, 157 Comments

Friends Forever - Snow



A look into a possible future for Twilight and her friends, years after the show ends.

  • ...
9
 157
 5,598

Friends Forever IV: A Kind Heart

Sunlight drifted in warmly into a small unicorn's window, illuminating a room that would perhaps not be out of place in a palace. It glimmered across polished surfaces of heavy oaken night stands and a magnificent vanity mirror. It shown over precious silks of vibrant purple hanging from a four poster bed large enough to sleep a family at once, and illuminated oil portraits of a family of somber-looking ponies, all with dull colors, polite smiles on their faces that did not touch their eyes. Most of all, however, what those golden rays washed over were more books than were contained in many small libraries, turning the spines of storybooks vibrant hues, and blazing merrily off of embossed lettering of textbooks.

This was the bedroom Twilight found herself starring at in awe, eyes roaming over the plentiful plethora of playful ponytales and exciting enumerations of encyclopedias. She couldn't help wonder if she was in one of her own dreams, at least until her eyes pried themselves from the books to behold the severe family they seemed to belong to. That brought her back to reality, such as it was, and her eyes scanned the room, already excited to meet the owner of the dream,, almost as much as she was at the prospect of seeing another of her dearest friends.

"Um... Excuse me.... um......."

The voice came from behind her, and was so soft and timid that for a long moment Twilight thought it may have belonged to Fluttershy herself. In fact, it was followed by a squeak so familiar that Twilight found herself about to pounce the source in a hug.... only to find nopony behind her, or rather nopony where she was looking. Instead, she had to direct her eyes downward.

There, seated primly on the floor was a unicorn filly that couldn't be more than a few years old. She bore no cutiemark, and couldn't yet have graduated magical preschool, much less kindergarten. She had large red eyes, silvery-white mane neatly brushed back, and dark grey fur. On her small muzzle was perched a pair of frameless, round glasses. She looked positively terrified, but still held herself poised and dignified with mannerisms that had the air of being enforced rather harshly.

"F-Father's study is d-down the hall t-to the l-left..." Soft didn't begin to describe the tone of her voice. Perhaps fragile would be a better word.

Even as Twilight stood somewhat dumbfounded, she managed to take in the view of the dream she had apparently interrupted. The small filly was seated on a cushion with a book nearly as large as she was open on the floor in front of her, and in a small semicircle were several dolls, which were looking up at the Alicorn as well with glowing blue eyes. It hit her as a little creepy until she recalled that they were a kind of toy invented in the past few years, very very expensive. They were enchanted ten ways to Tuesday, almost as much mechanical as magic, and could learn to a fair degree, even talk, if one purchased the higher end models. In fact, to her knowledge the older ones could become roughly as smart as eight year old foals, and as long as they were maintained, could last years and years and years. The ones in front of her looked pristine, and numbered as a cat, a puppy, a bunny, and even a small pony, almost the same size as the filly.

"..Oh!" Twilight exclaimed, she had realized she was standing there staring for a long moment while the foal very obviously was resisting the urge to hide behind something. "Well um... Actually, I'd like to talk to you a little bit, if that's alright with you."

The tall purple mare lowered her head level with the filly, and offered her a warm smile that truthfully came from the heart, trying to communicate wordlessly that it was, in fact, a request, and not one that needed to be obeyed.

It took a long moment of the small foal sitting there, staring into Twilight's warm lavender eyes, quivering now and then, before she could muster an answer. "I-I was r-reading t-to my f-friends..."

They sat in silence for another few moments before Twilight realized that was all the response she was going to get. It wasn't quite a refusal or acceptance, but she could guess well enough that the filly gave answers like that rather frequently. So, she went out on a limb, and knelt down. "That's just fine. I rather enjoy stories myself. Would it be alright if I stayed and listened until you finish? We can talk after if you like."

Consternation replaced fear for a moment on the girls face; she was not expecting to be allowed to continue, much less have somepony interested in her storytelling too. The fact that this huge, strange pony had knelt down nearby without preamble or ritual surprised her as well. So, off kilter, the filly responded with a nod and a squeak.

And so, the nervous and shy filly tried lifting the book in her magic, a thin veil of sparkling silver, only to lose grip on the heavy tome after a few long moments. It was obvious she was either too young or too nervous to hold it, even in her dreams, and as a result the filly eventually had to give up and lie down in front of it, peering through her glasses, and began to read aloud.

At first, her voice continued to stutter, almost too soft to hear, though the dolls finally turned back to her. The sound of her own voice and the steady, written words beneath her eyes reassured her and emboldened her voice, until she spoke with a flowing tone that rather surprised Twilight. It was melodious, and once it had lost that nervous stutter, rather pleasant to listen to. This girl was a born story teller! On the note of stories, the one being orated appeared to be a retelling of the founding of Canterlot and the crowning of Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna.

Time passed in that odd way of dreams, and by the end Twilight was beaming, her eyes closed. For the filly to narrate this well, she had to know the book by heart. After all she literally was reciting it in her sleep.

'Even if she weren't the new Element of Kindness, I think I'd like to get to know this pony.' Thought Twilight, which brought her mind back to current events. She always could get distracted by a good book. It was on that note she opened her eyes as the filly was closing the book and floating it with difficulty onto her back. Without thinking, the Alicorn took it gently in her own magic and helped the filly with the task, which in turn made the straining girl's eyes snap open in surprise.

"T-Thank y-you." The stutter had returned, but the filly's voice was neither soft nor timid. It seemed that unless she had the reassurance that her words were the correct ones, she spoke that way.

"Oh it's no problem dear." Twilight's reply was warm and she stood with a stretch, extending her wings which made the filly squeak again, jaw dropping.

"H-holy... Y-you're P-Princess Twilight!" The filly stumbled over herself, tripping on her front hooves as she tried to bow mid-step, and ended up on the floor in a heap, glasses askew. It was the most adorable thing Twilight had seen in... Years, now that she thought about it.

"Calm down! No need for that!" The Alicorn held back laughter only through sheer trained discipline, and leaned down to nuzzle the filly gently, helping her back up with her muzzle. She couldn't hold back a somewhat Celestia-esque smile, however. "Though, I'd like to know your name in exchange, please."

"S-Silver Chalice, Y-your hi-highness...." Her voice was back to its subdued, fragile, and shy state, apparently adopted around anypony she thought to be 'important' as far as class went.

"Silver Chalice..." Twilight combed her memory. Chalice...chalice... Oh, one of the older families. The Ponyville Spoons married into the Rich Family a few generations after... What were their names, Silver Tiara and Diamond Spoon? No, that's not quite right. Still, that clicked a few things in her memory. "Oh yes! The Chalice family mansion in Ponyville."

That caused Silver Chalice to blink in confusion. First one of the Princesses was there to see her, which only clicked shortly after giving her own name, and second, how could Twilight not know where she was if she was standing there in her bedroom. This was so surreal to her she must be...

"Oh. I'm dreaming." The small fillies voice evened out, as though she were no longer concerned with her own words. With that realization, the room flickered a little, and the dolls vanished, the book as well, edges starting to soften as the pony pressed against the sleeping magic instinctively.

"Easy now dear. Yes, we're in your dreams, but I still need to talk to you, if you feel up to it. Of course, if you'd rather not I can leave and let you wake up." Twilight did still very much want Fluttershy back, or even just to see her again, but she could wait if she needed to, and it came down to Silver's decision anyway.

"Wait. You mean I-I'm not d-dreaming y-you?" Caution and nervousness began to creep back into the filly's voice once again, and her ears wilted at the prospect of having slipped up in front of one of the Princesses. Father would be furious if he found out.

Twilight answered by walking over to the grey filly, and draped a wing over her, much as she did Honey Apple. It was a gesture rather alien to the filly, who rarely interacted with Pegasi, and never experienced being wrapped in warm feathers, and so obviously couldn't dream such a sensation. Still, it wasn't unpleasant, and for a short moment the filly caught herself relaxing against the mare's leg.

"W-what d-do y-y-you w-wanna t-talk ab-about?" She had no clue how to handle the situation. She had been taught not to speak unless spoken to, to always carry herself with dignity, etcetera, etcetera; lessons that a pony that young really shouldn't be subjected to, and as a result, her stutter was getting worse in accordance with her nervousness.

Not being quite as slow on the uptake as she once was, Twilight knelt down, still draping her wing over Silver Chalice, and smiled over at her. "Well, I wanted to talk about you, and an old friend of mine named Fluttershy..." The Alicorn began regaling the filly with stories of her old friend, such as how they met, how Fluttershy faced down a manticore (a creature that had since largely passed into myth), and later stared down a cockatrice, and even faced her worst fear of a full grown dragon. She talked about how she flew fast enough to catch Rainbow Dash (a name even Silver Chalice recognized), took care of every animal a pony could imagine, and even befriended an Ursa!

Silver Chalice, for her part, sat enraptured. She had very rarely been read to herself, and this Fluttershy pony sounded like something straight out of one of her storybooks. Eventually, however, she had to ask. "P-Princess Twilight... I-I'm sorry to interrupt b-but how does this have a-anything t-to do with m-me?" Her question ended as almost a squeak.

Twilight, for her part, paused and blinked a few times, before laughing softly. "Oh I'm sorry Silver, I got lost in memories. Have you ever heard of the Elements of Harmony?" Upon recieving a shake of the head in answer, she continued. "Well, I'm not surprised, The Elements haven't been needed in a long, long time. The Elements of Harmony are the physical embodiments of the most powerful magic in Equestria, probably even the whole world. Loyality, Generosity, Honesty, Laughter, Kindness..." She paused, giving the filly a smile. "And when those five come together in friendship, it creates the spark of Magic. Fluttershy was, a long time ago, the bearer of the Element of Kindness. I'm here because the one pony in all the world with a warm enough heart, and a caring enough nature to inherit that element, is currently tucked under my right wing."

There are advantages to breaking shocking news to somepony while they're asleep. For one thing, they can't faint. Not for lack of trying, though. Still, Silver Chalice managed to squeak out a sound that sounded suspiciously like, "Me?!"

That particular grain of cuteness broke the Alicorn's back (or at least her ability to hold back her laughter), and she started laughing warmly, somehow managing not to sound as if she were laughing at Silver, and laughter like that is contagious. The two were soon giggling together, though the little one didn't know exactly why.

"Yes, Silver dear. You're the new Element of Kindness." Twilight resumed after getting her own giggles under control.

"Um... I won't have to f-fight a manticore or anything will I?" Silver Chalice asked after a few more giggles, the stutter temporarily all but gone.

With a shake of her head, Twilight gave her a reassuring hug with her wing. "No I don't believe you will. The thing is... Well Fluttershy was one of my dearest friends, and because you're the new Element of Kindness, the two of you are connected. If you're willing, we can meet her, and maybe if you wanted to, I could have my old friend back, in a way."

That piqued the filly's interest, but confused her as well. "Have her b-back? But how?"

"Well Silver, once she's here there would be a few decisions to make. I'm not too clear on the details exactly, but if you wanted to you and her could become the same pony, to varying degrees. That's up to you to decide though; it's your body, your life, and your choice. Either way, I'd be happy to get to know you better." Twilight was careful to stress that it was Silver's choice, and that she liked the pony for who she was, not just who she could be.

Judging by the look on Silver Chalices face, however, it was obvious it went over her head. Twilight inwardly sighed, she couldn't be expected to make a decision like this at such a young age.. At least that's what she thought till Silver looked up and said, "I-if it's alright, I-I'd like to meet her, at least... We can t-talk about what will ha-happen next r-right?"

Relief, and a little guilt at feeling it, welled up inside of the Alicorn, who nodded in response. "Of course. As one of my other friends said, the Elements are for helping ponies, not hurting them. You don't have to do anything you don't want to."

With that said, Twilight once again reached deep into her heart, where she still felt the fires of her friendship burning brightly, and her tiara showed with light, light which left the gem atop it and coalesced into the necklace around Silver Chalices neck, and from behind the two of them, there was a small, surprised squeak.

Looking slowly over her shoulder, Twilight's eyes alighted on her butter-colored, pink-maned friend, who looked sufficiently shocked to be hiding behind her mane, peeping out with one eye. At least, till she recognized the large purple mare as Twilight, at which point the pink and yellow Pegasus turned her expression from one of shy surprise to joy, aqua-green eyes sparkling.

"Twilight, it's so nice to see you." Fluttershy's voice was just how Twilight remembered it, and it brought tears to her lavender eyes. Soon she had not just Silver Chalice tucked under a wing, but she hugged Fluttershy in under the opposite wing as well, the buttery-colored mare not entirely sure how she ended up there. Normally, she was too timid to engage in many physical shows of affection like hugging, but after seeing her friend for the first time in... Goodness however long, she made an exception gave up a tentative neck-hug to the larger mare beside her.

"It's wonderful to see you too Fluttershy! You have no idea how much I've missed you. Or Rainbow, or Rarity or Pinkie or Applejack..." The excited Alicorn's voice caught in her throat, and she had to fight back tears. Fluttershy for her part seemed to be trying to think of something to say.

Taking advantage of the momentary silence, the white-maned filly tucked beneath Twilight's wing greeted the stranger in her dream with a squeaky "H-hello m-miss F-flutters-shy M-my na-name is Silver Chalice." Of course, the end was barely a whimper by the time she had finished speaking.

The fact that she had spoken at all surprised Twilight a bit, but no more than Fluttershy un-tucking herself from her wing, and zipping over to the filly that might perhaps rival her in timidity. In fact, at the sudden movement Silver Chalice tucked herself further under the wing, as though trying to hide.

"Oh dear. She is possibly the cutest thing ever!" Fluttershy's voice bore the same tone as it had upon meeting Spike for the first time, and Twilight couldn't help but grin at the memory. In fact...

"Well, why don't I let you two talk? I'm... guessing you got the rundown like Applejack...?" Twilight inquired of her friend, who took a long moment to pry her eyes from Silver Chalice (much to the filly's relief), and received a nod.

"Um, yes I think so. One minute Applejack was sitting there about to eat a slice of apple pie then her necklace popped up around her neck and she vanished! I guess I know what happened now." Flutter smiled down at her own necklace, and then seemed to recall something else she was going to say. "Oh um, also, we um... We saw what you did for us, Twilight."

Saw what she.... "...Oh gosh." Twilight blushed, possibly for the first time in... Decades? Centuries? "Was it... Was everything OK? I mean I know you didn't ask for-"

Twilight was cut off by a warm smile from her friend, who then nodded. "I love the hospital Twilight. Thank you for taking care of all my animal friends for so long, too."

Unable to think of a single thing to say, the purple Alicorn simply sat there, eyes full of tears and her breath caught in her throat. Her friends were watching her, all this time! Why didn't Applejack... Oh, probably because she got distracted by Honey Apple.

By the time she surfaced from her thoughts, Fluttershy had knelt in front of Silver Chalice, and her warm, approachable demeanor had the filly talking with barely a stutter to be heard.

"-from P-Ponyville, but Father doesn't let me get out m-much so I like to s-spend most of my time reading to my f-friends.." Silver Chalice's words filtered in mid-sentence, and received encouraging nods from Fluttershy.

"That's very nice of you. When I was little my mom used to read to me too. What are your friends names?" This was from Fluttershy, when Silver trailed off. Twilight couldn't hold a smile back. It seemed her friend would be getting the life’s story from this little filly and, though she longed to stay and listen to the two talk, she knew now that if the others- Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie pie- didn't know what to expect by now, they probably would soon, and would be waiting for her.

Her drive rekindled, Twilight gave her two friends, both old and new, one more wing hug before standing and excusing herself, receiving distracted nods from both, and a smile from Fluttershy.


Luna started in surprise when Twilight awoke from where she was seated nearby, a stack of scrolls neatly arranged to either side of her, and one open in front with a quill out. It had been a few hours since Twilight first ventured into Silver Chalices dream, and in the interim it had passed from Celestia's court to Twilight's, and Luna's. Celestia was happy to cover for Twilight of course, and most of Night Court was scroll-work anyway. No important visitors in Canterlot, either, so Luna had simply asked an attendant to have her work delivered to the royal wing.

"How did it go...?" Came the inevitable inquiry from the Night Princess, a hopeful tone on her voice.

Twilight, who had woken with not a tear to beheld grinned. "It went absolutely spectacularly!" The grown mare bounced a little in place and it was obvious the only reason she didn't make more noise was for the benefit of the still sleeping ponies.... And on that note, she glanced at the clock and blinked rapidly. "Oh uh, sorry for taking so long. How much longer till the sleeping spell wears off?"

Luna just laughed softly and set her quill and paper down. "As long as you need it to, their parents know where they are, and I've got all night." That made Twilight smile, and the lavender mare stood, stretching as she did. Or she started to; a gentle flash announced the second element necklace appearing around its owner’s neck. "I guess they reached an agreement."

Not one to dally around after so long waiting, she looked over the other three sleeping ponies. One more foal, and two ponies in their teens perhaps. One of the latter, an earth pony mare with a bright azure coat and a nearly black mane was smiling in her dreams, and wiggling a hoof. Twilight cast a questioning glance to Luna, and was answered with,"Loyalty."

That surprised Twilight, and she wondered how Rainbow Dash would react. In fact, she definitely wanted to see her speedy friend again... So, mind made up, she carried her cushion over and, after stretching out a cramp or two, settled back in, and with a soft flash from Luna, ventured into dreams...

TO BE CONTINUED IN: Part V: Promises To Keep.