• Published 12th Feb 2013
  • 7,750 Views, 461 Comments

Northern Lights - MysteriousStranger



Third and last part of the "Magic of Love" series

  • ...
15
 461
 7,750

A Close Encounter

Months had passed and it was now spring. Flowers were in bloom once again and all the critters were out of their burrows. A white view was now replaced with a green one. Winter clothes were now back in the closets, ready to be used next year and apple trees had their fruit ready to be eaten by hungry ponies. It was a beautiful morning… A morning that a certain blue filly Unicorn couldn’t enjoy because she was busy practicing magic with her mother.

"Try again, Aury… Now!” Aurora focused on the branch in front of her. She was trying to make it bigger but she still had no success. They had been practicing since the month after she'd first arrived in Ponyville and got a new family; deciding to rest during winters. Aurora was now capable of doing various kinds of magic spells now, but since Twilight decided to increase the level of magic, it became hard on her. Once again, she failed to make the branch bigger. It just kept levitating and falling after a few moments when Aurora dropped it in exhaustion.

“I… Can’t… Sorry…” The blue filly was catching her breath. She didn’t get to have a break since breakfast and it was almost time for lunch.

“Alright, we’ll call it a day.”

Aurora collapsed, panting.

“Remember that after lunch, your mother and I are going to visit some friends.” Twilight continued.

“Yeah… Lyra, Bon Bon and Trotting Paradise, I remember.”

“You're going to see your friends, right?”

“Yes! We are going to explore the fields around Ponyville. I’m so excited!”

“That sounds nice, but be careful. Don’t go too far and don't go into any caves, am I clear?”

“Yes, mom…”

“Good. Now, let’s get inside... I don’t know about you, but I’m hungry!” They both entered the cottage and were met with lunch already served. Fluttershy came from the kitchen when she heard the door opening.

“Oh, I was just about to call you! How was the training?” The Pegasus asked, smiling.

“Not so good…” Aurora sadly sadly as she sat.

“What happened?” Fluttershy asked, her gaze drifting over to her wife.

“She still has problems in changing the size of an object, but she’s doing great! I’m sure that she will make it soon; we just have to practice more!"

I promise to try harder, mom… ”

“Don’t worry, Aury, we still have time for the exam. We won’t do it until you're ready.”

“Okay… I just don’t know why I can’t do it…”

Fluttershy was now next to the filly, nuzzling her cheek with her nose. “Maybe if you clear your mind first, you’ll do better. Rest well tonight and try again tomorrow, dear.” Fluttershy said as she patted Aurora’s head.

“I will try… thanks, mommy!”

“You’re welcome, dear. Now, let’s eat!” After lunch, Twilight, Fluttershy and Aurora left the house; Spike and Angel Bunny waved at them before closing the door. The couple headed to their friend’s house whereas Aurora headed to the Crusader's Club House.

***

“Password?”

“Rainbow Dash is number one.”

“Come on in, Aurora!” Scootaloo grinned as she opened the door.

“Ah still don’t know how you convinced me to use that password.” Apple Bloom said as she rested a hoof on her forehead.

“I have my charm.”

“Anyway…” Sweetie Belle said, appearing from behind Apple Bloom. “Now that you’re here, we can go to explore!”

“Huh? Am I the last one?” Aurora glanced behind Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom to see Cutie smiling shyly and Flying Feather staring back at her.

“I had to go to Sugarcube Corner myself to make sure she wouldn’t be late again.” The pink Pegasus said in an inpatient tone. Cutie looked away, embarrassed.

“I’m sorry…” She said in a low tone, her friends barely able to hear her.

“Don’t worry about that, Cutie. Maybe next time you can get here before us!” Sweetie Belle giggled to the cyan pony, smiling warmly, but the shy filly looked down.

“Shall we get going then?” Scootaoo questioned, breaking the moment of silence.

“Oh, yeah! Let’s go!” Apple Bloom exclaimed as she put her bag on and headed to the door. Everypony else took their bags too and followed her. Aurora grabbed the book about Herbology she asked Twilight to get the day before and put it in her bag before catching up to her friends. The crusaders walked for two hours, still able to see see the town behind them. They were going to take samples of plants from the surroundings of Ponyville.

“Alright, Crusaders! Let’s search for plants and compare them with the book that Aurora brought. Spread out!” Apple Bloom commanded. The fillies dispersed in different directions, each of them taking flowers and other plants from the ground and putting them in their bags. They spent an hour collecting samples before making a circle and comparing them to the ones in the book. It wasn’t easy. There were hundreds of different plants in the book, and when they did find the ones they were looking for, the name was strange and its description was long and complicated. After another hour of boredom, they gave up when they saw that none of them had a cutie mark. Aurora put the book back in her saddlebag and, like everypony else, she threw the plants she collected away. When they were on their way back to Ponyville, however, Aurora suddenly tood still. She looking to a different direction. Her friends noticed it and approached her.

“Aurora? What is it?” Sweetie Belle called her friend but the blue filly didn’t show any sign of hearing them, so they decided to look to whatever had gotten her attention. It was a cave.

“Why are you lookin' at that cave?” Apple Bloom looked away from the cave and to her friend.

“What could be in there? Aren’t you curious?”

“We know what’s in there, probably a dragon!” Scootaloo nervously commented.

“A dragon? Why don’t we go say hi?”

“Are you mad!? We shouldn’t bother a dragon! We should just leave it alone.” Flying Feather suddenly said, giving Aurora a look.

“I agree with F-Feather… we should just go…” Cutie whispered.

“You girls go ahead. I’m going in.”

“What!? Aurora, come back here!” Apple Bloom yelled at the blue Unicorn, but she kept walking towards the cave.

Before entering it, she turned. “Did you forget that I live with a dragon? How different can it be from Spike?”

“An adult dragon is nothing like a baby dragon, Aurora! Come back!” Sweetie Belle tried to reason with her friend, but her warning fell on deaf ears. Aurora turned back to the cave and entered it. The rest of the Crusaders trotted toward the cave and followed her hesitantly. It was dark. They couldn't see anything. Even so, there was a glow ahead of them--the glow that gems produce. The five fillies whispered Aurora’s name. The later replie after a few calls. They headed to where Aurora’s voice came from.

“Alright, you entered a cave, now let’s get out of here before we wake up the dragon!” Apple Bloom whispered urgently.

“Not yet; look at that glow! I’ll take Spike some of these gems. He'll be so happy!” The blue filly said, also whispering.

“If there are gems in here, then that’s another reason to leave. It means that there’s actually dragon in here!” Sweetie Belle tried to push her outside, but her friend resisted.

“We aren't leaving until I have some gems!” Aurora said, almost yelling. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle covered her mouth with their hooves, but it was too late. The glow disappeared, and a movement could be heard, along with deep breathing. A pair of yellow eyes appeared in the darkness and a roar could be heard.

“Let’s get out of here, now!” Flying Feather exclaimed as she grabbed Cutie’s hoof and directed her to the exit. The rest of the Crusaders followed after, yelping all the while. They could hear the sound of the dragon’s claw’s hitting the ground, so they moved faster. They soon left the cave,, but the dragon was still hot on their tails. It was about to get out of the cave when a magical barrier blocked the entrance. The beast tried to escape using his claws to break through, but it was too strong.

“I won’t be able to hold it forever, kids! Escape while you can!” The crusaders looked to where the voice came from and saw a Blue Unicorn with lavender eyes focusing on her magic.

“Auntie Trixie?” Aurora asked in surprise.

“Just... go!” Trixie yelled, her eyes still closed.

“And leave you alone with it? No way!” Flying Feather shouted, shaking her head.

“There’s nothing you can do but get back to Ponyville. I’ll be fine! I can take care of myself!” Trixie promised, giving them a sincere smile, though she looked like she was having trouble with the spell.

“I think we should do as she says, we have to go…!” Cutie suddenly spoke.

“We are not leaving her!” Scootaloo gave her friend a stern look.

“Maybe if one of us looks for help?” Apple Bloom questioned before turning to Flying Feather. “Bring Twilight and Fluttershy; they'll know what to do!”

“That won’t be necessary!” Flying Feather replied, pointing to the road that lead to Ponyville. Twilight, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Rarity were galloping toward them. They saw the fillies first, and then Trixie holding the dragon inside the cave.

“Fluttershy, come with me! The rest of you go with the kids!” Twilight commanded and they split up. The fillies hugged their respective family when the mares got to them, but Aurora could only watch her mothers and Trixie.

“Twilight, is that you?” The blue Unicorn said, surprised when a stronger magic barrier appeared in front of hers.

“Yes, don't give up, Trixie! Fluttershy, try to talk to the dragon. We’ll keep it inside so it won’t hurt you!”

“I can try…” Fluttershy approached to the barrier. “Excuse me, good dragon? We don’t want to hurt you… can you tell us what’s wrong?” Fluttershy’s voice seemed reach to the dragon because it calmed down and it stopped hitting the barriers.

“I was sleeping peacefully in my cave, just taking a nap before continuing on my way. But I’m a light sleeper. I heard something, and I woke up to see those ponies. I thought they wanted to steal some of my gems so I chased them.”

Fluttershy looked at Twilight, who in turn looked at her daughter, not exactly happy.

“Aurora, could you come here for a moment?” The filly Unicorn slowly walked towards her mother. When she looked at her, she was sad. “This dragon says that you went into his cave and that you tried to take some of his gems. Is that true?”

Aurora slowly nodded. “It was my idea… They tried to stop me, but I didn’t listen…”

Twilight became furious. “And after I told you to stay away from caves!? Why didn't you obey me!? Do you realize how dangerous that was!? You put your friends in danger!” Tears started to fall from the filly’s eyes. “We’ll talk about this when we get home... You're in big troubles, little girl now get back to your friends!”

Aurora slowly turned and headed back to where she was, not daring to look at her friends. Apple Bloom put a hoof on her shoulder. After watching the scene, Fluttershy spoke to the dragon again.

“I apologize for the behavior of my daughter… It won’t happen again. You can go back to sleep…”

“Fine, I won’t hurt them. Will you remove this thing now?”

“Oh, yes, we apologize for that too.” Fluttershy said, stepping back. The Unicorns let the barriers fall as the dragon turned and vanished in the dark. Trixie turned to see her friends, but her sight was blocked by Twilight’s mane as she hugged her.

“Thank you for saving them, Trixie. We're so lucky that you showed up when you did!” The lavender Unicorn said as she hugged her friend tighter.

“It was nothing, Twilight. I did what I had to.”

“How are we going to repay you?” the timid Pegasus as she approached her friend.

“You don’t have to do anything. Your friendship is enough.” The three mares went to where the rest of the ponies were.

“Let’s go back…” Twilight said, purposefully ignoring her daughter gaze. Aurora looked at Fluttershy instead, feeling terrible.

“Mommy… I’m sorry…”

“I can’t help you, Aurora…” Fluttershy furously said before all of them started to walk back to Ponyville in complete silence.

Author's Note:

So… Aurora learnt something in the hard way, stay tuned for more everypony! :D
I want to thank Blue Dragon for editing this chapter before its release! :)
Chapter revised. There should be less mistakes now.