• Published 12th Feb 2013
  • 7,742 Views, 461 Comments

Northern Lights - MysteriousStranger



Third and last part of the "Magic of Love" series

  • ...
15
 461
 7,742

Mane Six: The Next Generation

As Twilight and Fluttershy continued admiring the photo, many memories came back to them as if they'd only happened the day before. Looking at the photo of their daughter, all the moments they shared with her returned to their minds.

“And we introduced her to our friends the same day she oficially became our daughter. None of them were sure if they heard right! We can’t blame them, though; we never even discussed the possibility of adopting a foal.” Twilight said as she kept looking at the image of Aurora in their album.

“We then introduced her to Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. Poor Aury was so nervous! It surely was the first that time other ponies of her age were nice to her.” Fluttershy commented happily, “But she eventually played with them. When she got back, she was so happy that she finally had friends!”

“She’s smiling all the time now. She never mentioned Hoofington or the orphanage again and we didn’t either. I’m glad that we helped her to make her happy.” The Unicorn managed to say before yawning and closing the book. “I’m heading to bed. Are you coming, Fluttershy?”

“In a minute. Let me put the album back on its place, love.”

Twilight nodded and gave her a peck on her lips before trotting upstairs. Fluttershy, then, placed the book above the fireplace, just beside the crystal figure Fluttershy gave Twilight on their first anniversary. The timid Pegasus admired the gift for a few more moments before heading to their mini-library. She took a book out of the shelf and opened it, putting a marker on one of the pages. She sat down and began reading a book titled The Golden-Maned Filly and the Three Bears. She was trying to memorize every single children's story so she could narrate them Aurora, even though most of the stories were for younger foals. But even so, she decided to give her daughter the childhood she never had. She spent forty minutes reading stories and re-reading them until she could tell every single detail without looking. She put the books back and headed upstairs to join her wife. She quietly opened the door and stepped in her bedroom without making a sound. Twilight was snoring softly. Fluttershy approached the bed and climbed into it silently. She didn’t want to wake her wife up, so she decided to face the opposite way instead of cuddling her as usual, but as soon as she did so, Twilight turned, she moved closer to her and embraced her tightly.

“What took you so long…?” The Unicorn mumbled. Fluttershy was about to reply but Twilight snored again. The Pegasus sighed and closed her eyes, holding Twilight’s hoof with her own. It didn't take long before she had also fallen asleep.

***

The next morning, the couple was still sleeping, smiling in their dreams. However, mornings didn't remain peaceful for long anymore. Suddenly, the door opened and Aurora trotted to the bed, she climbed it up and began bouncing up and down on it.

“Wake up, mommies! It's morning already!”

“Alright, alright, Aurora, we’re up! Please stop jumping before you hurt yourself!” Twilight said as she sat up, rubbing her eyes. The blue filly obeyed, sliding off the bed.

“Did you wake Spike up, dear?” Fluttershy asked after she yawned and stretched. But it wasn’t Aurora who answered the question.

“Yes, she did…” The dragon commented as he entered the bedroom, also yawning. “Like yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that…”

“I always wake up first and I get bored… I want company! Besides, I’m hungry!” The blue filly happily said.

“You go downstairs, we’ll be there shortly.” The lavender Unicorn promised as she climbed off the bed. The filly unicorn grinned and trotted downstairs, taking Spike with her.

“She’s such a sweetheart, isn’t she?” The yellow Pegasus commented, getting off the bed as well.

“Yeah… She’s always energetic during the mornings, but she slows down as the day goes on.”

Fluttershy approached Twilight while the later was talking and kissed her.

“Good morning, love. I like how she is during the evenings. You know, when she’s at her limit and sits on the couch and asks us about our life before meeting her… She’s such a good listener. Shall we go down?”

“Yes!” Twilight said with a nod. They walked downstairs and to the kitchen right next to each other, seeing Angel Bunny on their way there.

“Good morning, Angel Bunny! How did you sleep?” Fluttershy asked the rabbit when she saw him, but he just yawned and fell to the floor face down. Twilight used her magic to put the bunny back to bed and returned to her wife’s side.

“Five more minutes, right?” They giggled and continued on their way to the kitchen. Aurora was already sitting with her hooves on the table. She looked at her mothers when they entered the room.

“Spike is already cooking; he shouldn’t take long!”

“I hope you slept well, dear." Fluttershy said as she kissed her daughter’s forehead.

“I did! How about you?”

“We certainly did!” Twilight replied with a smile, taking her seat. “What are you planning to do today, Aury?”

“I’m going to see the rest of the crusaders after breakfast, if that’s okay!”

“Of course you can. But don’t forget to bundle up. We don’t want you catching a cold.” The Pegasus said in a worried tone as she went to the kitchen.

“I will, mommy, don’t worry! I’ll use my favorite coat that Auntie Rarity gave me!”

“Good.” Fluttershy trotted back to the room with four forks, placing them on the table and sitting. Spike appeared five minutes later with two plates of pancakes, putting one in front of Fluttershy and the other in front of Aurora.

“Thank you, Spike. Aury, wait until everypony else is sitting before eating!” Twilight scolded just as the blue filly lifted her fork.

“But mom, I’m hungry!” The filly protested.

“Listen to your mom, Aurora!”

The young unicorn placed the fork back on the table with a sigh. “Fine, Sorry…” Spike came back moments later with two more plates of pancakes, one of them with gems. He placed one in front of Twilight and sat with his own.

“Now you can eat, dear.” Fluttershy said with a warm.

“Finally!” Aurora took the fork again and started to eat. After breakfast, Aurora ran upstairs while Twilight and Spike went to the library (not before saying goodbye and receiving a kiss from Fluttershy). The filly Unicorn got back a few minutes later, wearing a purple coat.

“I’ll be back later, mommy!”

“Wait! Aren’t you going to give me a hug?” Aurora hugged her mother and then dashed outside. “Be careful, dear!”

“Yes, mommy!” The filly yelled as she disappeared in the snow. Now Fluttershy was alone with Owlowiscious in the room.

“...I’ll prepare Angel Bunny’s favorite breakfast before waking him up. He'll be so happy! Do you want the same as always, Owlowiscious?”

“Who?”

“Okay then. Would you mind keeping me company while I prepare the food for both of you?”

“Who?” Fluttershy waited until the owl stood on her back before going to the kitchen.

***

Aurora trotted as fast as the snow allowed her to the Crusader's club house. She jumped the fence when she arrived at Sweet Apple Acres and kept trotting, almost colliding with a snowpony that Applejack and Rainbow Dash were making.

“Hey, Aurora! Watch where yer goin’!”

“Sorry, Applejack I’m in a hurry! Is everypony at the club house already?”

“Yeah, sugarcube, only you and Cutie aren't.”

“I better hurry then... Bye, Applejack! Bye, Rainbow Dash!”

“Hey, that’s not how I told you to call me!”

“Okay, sorry… Bye, Awesome Dash!”

“That’s better. See ya around!” As Aurora left, the farmer pony gave her wife a soft punch on the shoulder. “Hey! What was that for?”

“Awesome Dash? Did you seriously asked her to call you that?”

“Why not? It makes me look cooler!”

“Very funny, but if you don’t mind, I’ll keep callin' you Dashie.” Applejack said with a smile.

“You can call me whatever you want, AJ…” The cyan Pegasus nuzzled her nose with Applejack’s. She then gave her a peck on her lips and let her wife rest her head on her shoulder as they watched the snowpony.

When Aurora arrived to the club house, she knocked on the door. Somepony cracked the door open slightly.

“Password?”

“The birds will sing.”

“Come in.” Scootaloo said as she opened the door, letting her friend in.

“Thank you, Scoots!” Aurora said as she entered. She saw Apple Bloom talking with Sweetie Belle and a pink filly Pegasus with an orange mane and green eyes. Her name was Flying Feather, the daughter of Applejack and Rainbow Dash. They turned to see her when she approached them.

“Good morning, girls! Sorry for being late!”

“Yer just in time, Aurora. We were about to begin discussin' about our plans for today! We're goin’ to find out if we can get our cutie marks for ice-skatin’ first!” Apple Bloom exclaimed.

“And if that doesn’t work out, we can always try to get one for being plant experts! All we need to do is ask Twilight for a book about botany!” Sweetie Belle bounced excitedly.

“I told you, Sweetie Belle, it’s winter... Most of the plants are under the snow!” Scootaloo said with an impatient tone as she approached to the group.

“Oh, yeah… I’m out of ideas.”

“We’ll come up with somethin’ if ice-skatin’ doesn’t work! Now, we only have to wait for Cutie and we can go!”

“She always takes her time to come… She’s so slow!” Flying Feather stuck her tongue out.

“She doesn’t like to trot so she always walks everywhere. We have to be patient with her.” Aurora said.

“Fine… Five more minutes or we’ll leave without her.” The pink Pegasus said after sighing.

“Fifteen.”

“Ten.”

“Alright, ten, but not a minute more!”

Somepony knocked on the door six minutes later. Scootaloo cracked the door open slightly.

“Password?”

"T-The birds will sing?"

“That’s the one, Cutie, but it wasn’t a question.” Scootaloo said as she let the last member in.

“S-Sorry… ” Cutie whispered as she walked in the club. She was a cyan earth pony with brown eyes and a purple mane.

“The meeting started ten minutes ago… You're always late, Cutie!” The pink Pegasus sad as she angrily approached a scared Cutie.

“I… I’m sorry, I promise to arrive in time next meeting…”

“That’s what you said last time.”

“I’m trying to get here earlier…”

“Maybe not enough.”

“Girls, please, we are all friends here!” Apple Bloom intervened, standing between Flying Feather and Cutie. “Now Feather, apologize to Cutie.”

“But…”

“Now!” The pink Pegasus sighed.

“Fine… Sorry, Cutie…”

“It’s okay…”

“But next time I’ll go to Sugarcube Corner and bring you myself!” Everypony in the room sighed. They couldn’t win against the brash pink Pegasus.

“Alright, everypony, we are all here so let’s get goin’ to the frozen lake!” Apple Bloom announced as she opened the door. The crusaders put their coats on and left the club house, ready to get their cutie marks.

Ice-skiing didn’t work out as expected. Only Cutie seemed to be able to do it; everypony else kept losing their balance and couldn’t even stand up.

“Cutie, how come you can keep standin’?” Apple Bloom managed to ask before falling again.

“Well… My mom taught me…”

“Really? Can you teach us?” Aurora said as she tried to approach the cyan pony.

“I can try…” For the next few hours, Cutie tried to teach her crusader friends how to skate on ice. Flying Feather lost her patience fast and threw her ice skates away, sitting on the snow as the rest of her friends kept trying to learn. They managed to stay standing after the lessons, but still couldn’t skate properly. When they started to get hungry, each of them went to their homes to eat and decided to reunite again in the afternoon. They spent the afternoon playing, making snowponies and threw snowballs at each other. They had so much fun than they didn’t realize it was time to go back to their homes until their families came looking for them.

“Sweetie Belle, it’s starting to get dark! Why don’t you spend the night with me, darling?”

“That sounds like fun, sis!” Sweetie Belle said as she left with Rarity, waving at their friends.

“Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Feather, come on! Time to get back to the farm!”

“Okay!” The three fillies shouted in unison before following Rainbow Dash. They also said goodbye.

“Time to get back home, Cutie! I’ll bake you your favorite cupcakes!” Pinkie Pie promised as she put the cyan filly on her back.

“O-Okay…” Pinkie Pie left, trotting happily with her daughter on her back. Before leaving, she hugged Fluttershy and Aurora.

“Come on, Aurora… Let’s look for your mother and then get back to our warm home.” Fluttershy said as Aurora approached her.

“Okay!” Aurora hopped onto Fluttershy’s back and they left to the library. Once there, the older mare knocked on the door and, after a few moments, Twilight opened the door.

“Oh, honey, Aurora!” Twilight kissed Fluttershy. “You’re just in time, I was just about to close.” The lavender Unicorn and Spike walked out and closed the library before they all headed back to the cottage. Aurora told them about her adventures during the day while her parents listened to every detail and were glad that she had fun. Then it was Twilight’s turn to tell them about her day. Winter was always the season that ponies came to the library to get books since they all want to sit by the fire, reading. This day was no exception. The last two ponies left moments before Fluttershy and Aurora’s arrival.

The family arrived at their home. The filly Unicorn quickly headed to the fireplace and sat next to it the moment the door was opened. Fluttershy trotted to the kitchen with Spike while Twilight sat next to her daughter, who rested her head against her mother as soon as she sat. Angel Bunny appeared from upstairs as soon as he heard the door opening. He went to the kitchen.

After dinner, Aurora could barely keep her eyes open. Twilight put the Unicorn on her back and headed to her bedroom, alongside Fluttershy and Spike. After they put her to bed and covered her with blankets, Aurora yawned.

“Which story are you going to tell me now, mommy…?”

“How about The Golden-Maned Filly and the Three Bears?” The blue filly listened closely as the pegasus began the story. “Once upon a time, there was a filly walking in a forest. Her mane resembled gold…” Aurora fell asleep in the middle of the story, with a smile on her face. Fluttershy caressed her mane and moved to let Twilight kiss the filly’s forehead.

“Good night, my sweet Aury…” The Unicorn then turned to the dragon’s bed. “Good night, Spike.”

“Good night, girls…” The mares opened the door to find Angel on the other side, patting his foot impatiently and with his arms crossed. He then hopped onto Aurora’s bed and let his head rest on the filly’s hoof. The couple smiled and headed to their bedroom. It was time for them to sleep as well.

Author's Note:

We are back on the present, and I’ll keep it that way, thanks for your comments and I hope you’re liking it so far! ^_^
Thanks to Blue Dragon for editing this chapter before its release!
Chapter revised. There should be less mistakes now.