• Published 12th Feb 2013
  • 7,742 Views, 461 Comments

Northern Lights - MysteriousStranger



Third and last part of the "Magic of Love" series

  • ...
15
 461
 7,742

Welcome to Damashooves

The ride was long and silent. They were the only ones in the whole train. Twilight was reading a map of Damashooves to get familiarized with the place, but the city was too big to memorize every single corner of it. However, knowing Twilight, she would do her best. The lavender Unicorn put the map back in the bag after a couple of hours. Applejack, on the other hoof, spent those two hours just looking out the window, hoping that everypony would be okay and wondering what her wife and friends might be doing without them. She was so focused on her thoughts that she didn’t realize that she was hungry until her stomach could be heard by her friend.

“Applejack, you’re starving.”

“What? Oh, yeah… Ah brought some apples, do you want one?”

“Yes, please. I just realized that I’m also starving.” The farmer pony took two apples from her bag and gave one to Twilight. “Thanks, Applejack.” She took a bite. “Can this trip take any longer?”

“Damashooves is outside of Equestria, sugarcube, so Ah think that we'll be here for a while… Why don’t you get some sleep? Ah’ll wake you up in a couple of hours. We will need to be fully awake to find our fillies.”

“Good idea, I could use some rest… “ She finished eating her apples before laying on her seat. “See you in a couple of hours, Applejack.”

“Good night, Twi.” As soon as Twilight closed her eyes, she fell into a deep slumber. She was a more tired than she'd initially thought. As they'd decided earlier, Applejack woke her up two hours later; it was her turn to rest. Twilight spent her two hours reading more about Damashooves, trying to learn the differences between that city and Ponyville. Damashooves was a desert town, a poor desert town, but it hadn't always been that way. Something happened two years ago that made most of the city poor, with guards patrolling every street. The city was now under control of a mysterious group--Twilight guessed that they had to be the ones who took the fillies. She was determined to leave Damashooves with them and answers. When she was about to wake her friend up, she heard a pony calling.

“Next stop, Damashooves in fifteen minutes!”

Twilight hurried to wake Applejack up. “Applejack, we're here!”

“Huh…? Wha...?”

“We'll be arriving in fifteen minutes!”

“Already?” The farmer pony stood up and made sure everything was in her bag while Twilight closed her book and put it inside her own bag. The train stopped and they got out; there were no other passengers, so the train left as soon as they stepped outside. The mares were received by a dusty train station that looked like it had been abandoned for years. They decided to move on and find the fillies and leave as soon as possible. They started walking around the town to find clues that would lead to the ponynappers, but as soon as they arrived, everypony was looking at them and whispering into each other’s ears. They all had looks of pity, wearing old robes. The mares took their foals away, avoiding Twilight and Applejack as if they were dangerous; the stallions only watched them.

“Why are they looking at us like that…? Applejack?”

“Maybe because of this.” The farmer pony pointed to a wall that was filled with posters and photos of them and their friends--all of them had something written under it. The ones of Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Lyra and Bon Bon just said "Fillyfooler, call the guards if you see her." But the one of Twilight was different; it said "Extremely dangerous fillyfooler, call the guards and leave if you see her."

“What does this mean? Why are these things here?” Twilight said, approaching her poster and removing it. “Extremely dangerous? I've never done anything wrong in my life! None of us have!”

“Ah think we should hide for now…”

“Why?”Applejack pointed to where a couple of guards were talking to a citizen and turned to them.

“You two, stop!”

“Let’s get out of here, now!” Applejack exclaimed, taking Twilight by the hoof and galloping in the opposite direction. They climbed a ladder and dropped it when they were on the roof, hitting both guards. They jumped from rooftop to rooftop until they reached a dead end--the next building was too far to reach by jumping.

“Now what do we do?” The bookworm pony asked, looking at her friend. Wind blew their manes and they smelled a familiar scent, Twilight didn’t recognize it, but Applejack did.

“Ah know! Do the same as me.” The farmer pony said as she approached the edge of the roof where pigeons were standing. They flew away as Applejack got closer. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before jumping off the roof, diving muzzle first. A sound was heard, but it wasn’t of her hitting concrete; it was softer.

“Applejack!” Twilight trotted to where her friend had leaped and looked down, but she couldn’t see anything. “Applejack, where are you?!”

“Jump!” She heard her friend’s voice.

“What?!”

“Just do what Ah say! Jump, Twilight! Have faith and make that leap!”

Twilight gulped and approached the same spot where Applejack was. After mentally counting to three, she jumped with her eyes closed, too afraid to open them. She landed on something soft. She opened her eyes, but everything was dark. “What is this?”

“A wagon full of hay. I can recognize the smell of hay anywhere.”

“Hay! I should have known!”

“Shh! I hear hoofsteps…” Both of them remained silent as they listened carefully.

“I’m sure that here’s where she jumped. I don’t see her... Maybe she’s gone.”

“Let’s search here just in case. She may be hiding... Starting with this wagon.” The hoofsteps started to become louder as the guards approached.

“There's two.” Applejack whispered. “One’s coming to my side, the other one to yours. We’ll have to knock them out and hide them here at the same time... Ah’ll give the signal.” Twilight nodded, but she wasn’t sure if her friend saw her. They waited a few moments until they saw the guards’ hooves searching the hay. “Now!” Both Twilight and Applejack emerged from the hay, grabbed the guards and hit them in the head, leaving them unconscious. Then, they hid them in the hay. After that, both of them jumped from the wagon and ran to an alley, watching more guards trotting past.

“Looking for the fillies won’t be easy with the entiere town after us… What will we do?” The Unicorn asked. The situation was out of their hooves. Suddenly, it all made sense. They were the most wanted ponies and their daughters had been ponynapped; these hooded ponies didn’t ponynap their fillies by coincidence, they were after them and they knew that somepony would try to rescue them, so they placed wanted posters in the city and patrolled it--but why them? What did they do to deserve this?

“Psst, over here, strangers!” The mares jumped in surprise and looked behind them to where the voice came from. There stood a stallion wearing a white robe with red lines and a hood, which was off. The robe covered his entire body, but still appeared to be comfortable enough to move in. His attire and expression made it obvious that he had his share of secrets. He was a brown earth pony with green eyes and a dark brown mane. “Quick, before they see you!” The stallion opened a door next to him and pointed inside. “Now!” Twilight and Applejack looked at each other. They weren’t sure if they could trust him, but they didn't have a choice so they hurried inside. The stallion entered and closed the door behind him. The place wasn’t very big and it was dusty. It had just one room and a counter with books behind it. On the floor there were some sleeping bags.

“Who are you? And why are you helping us?” Applejack suspiciously asked.

“My name is Iron Strong.” He said as he walked to a blanket hanging in the wall and removed it, showing a hoof formed in the wall with stones. “I belong to the Brotherhoof of Equality. Welcome to Damashooves. We’ll help you find your fillies.” Both mares stopped looking at the hoof and instead stared at Iron Strong.

“How did you know?!” Both mares exclaimed in unison.

Author's Note:

Nothing like a warm welcome XD
Seems like our ponies aren’t alone, but what is this Brotherhoof? Answers coming soon! ^_^
I want to thank Blue Dragon for editing this chapter before its release! :)
I sent this chapter to her before leaving, I'll start with the next chapter soon! ^_^
Chapter revised. There should be less mistakes now.