• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 2,719 Views, 164 Comments

Grounds for the Dead: A L4D2 Story - SCP Pinkamena



When the life you know was blown away, how will you cope waking in another?

  • ...
6
 164
 2,719

When One Door Closes, Another Opens

Grounds For The Dead: Chapter One

.......KABOOOM!!!

Bright light.

Searing pain.

Melting flesh.

Burning hair.

These are things they felt. They're not supposed to feel pain, nor are they supposed understand what pain meant. But they understood it. They understood it good.

The bridge they were standing on fell to piece around them, along with flying cars and broken trailers falling on them. Spitter was the first to go, she was crushed by a wire holding the bridge up. Hunter attempted to jump away, but was caught in the middle of the explosions. Boomer was very careful not to let anything touch him but alas he died too after having a half-ton slab of concrete drop on his form. Witch hated the loud noises, but she knew they was no escape for her. So she stood waiting for the bridge to tumble from underneath her. Smoker, being the tallest, was sent over the bridge into the water were a bone-crushing fall met his body.

Jockey, the shortest of the group if you don't count the Hunter crouching, was jumping from falling slab to falling slab in hopes to stay alive, he met his doom by a simple slip up. He was smeared like ketchup on a hamburger. Tank and Charger, being the toughest of the eight, stood their grounds waiting like the Witch. The Charger put his hulking right arm on the Tanks shoulder and simply nodded, and in return the Tank huffed out a grunt of acknowledgement. They watched as their world, their home crumbled to pieces around them.

__________

Singing birds.

Warm sunlight.

Wind blowing.

Trees groaning.

The sickly green unicorn pony opened his eyes ever so slightly to reveal a that he was in a small forest. But what surprised him even more was he heard other animals. A small herd of rabbits and hares went by as fast as their little feet could carry. He tried standing on two legs and fell over on his side. He hacked up another cough that could bring up anyone's lungs, and tried again attempting to go on his hands and knees. Only he had no hands. He let out a startled cough and shut his eyes and shook his head.

He opened his eyes again thinking that he was seeing things...or that the uninfected cut his hands off. He looked down at the stubs that used to be his hands and found that they weren't stubs but more like hooves. He heard a growl of pain, and looked to his side. Their, writhing on the ground, was a small hooded pegasus pony. He looked at the pegasus before he coughed loudly getting his attention. The hooded pony looked at the sickly unicorn who coughed again.

The pegasus walked over to him, having the look of concern in his eyes.* The hooded pony walked around him like a wolf stalking a stag, and sniffed. He could immediately smell the old cigarette smell, he jumped and tackled the pony in a bone crushing hug. The unicorn patted his head before the pegasus fell to the ground again, clearly exhausted.

"Where are we?" He said thinking out load. His voice was raspy as if needing air when he said one word. The hooded pony shrugged on the ground.

"I don't know," He said. His voice was much like the accent in Manhattan. He stopped think for a second. "Wait a minute, Smoker, you talked!" He said pointing at Smoker. Smoker was somewhat surprised to see that Hunter had a brain... or what was left of it anyway.

"...So am I! How are we talking?" Hunter asked looking for answers. Smoker was figuratively the smartest one in the group of eight infected, but even he had no clue. Smoker only shrugged and walked up to Hunter before placing a hoof on his head. Hunter looked up at Smoker silent asking where they were. He could only shake his head. They both heard an insane laugh of about three feet away. They looked back to see Jockey looking at them while containing his laugh to make it a giggle and the look on his face was almost alarming to them because on his face was an eternal smile that would never leave his face.

"Hiya!" He screamed. Jockey's voice was shrill and scratchy like he need a drink of water. The other two only gave nervous grins and waved slowly as Jockey came out and sat down with them. His coat was white and he had a red-orange mane and tail. His eye twitched every second or so, and he would giggle at nothing.

"It... hurts..." He thought to himself. Everything he did hurt. Walking, talking, jumping, clawing at the uninfected faces, and worst of all smiling. His eternal smile was the thing that hurt most. No matter what he did, it was always their. And it hurt.

All.

The.

Time.

He giggled again and let out a silent sigh. Hunter was still sitting with Smoker until a gurgling sound reached his ears. Off in the distance, he could see two other ponies. One that had a girth problem that would make every fat person seem skinny, another had a massive left forearm that looked like it could break through buildings. Hunter perked up and looked at Smoker.

"Look! The others!" He said as he leaped from his spot over to the other two 'Specials'. He landed dead infront of the fat pony and smiled at him knowing who it was. "Hello, Boomer," He said still smiling because he knew his friends were here.

"Hunter? Is that you?" Boomer asked. His voice was droopy and sounded almost in a mocking tone. His coat was blue and his mane was a small and black. Hunter nodded and gave the large pony a hug. Surprisingly, Boomer did not explode, nor did he up-chuck anything over or on Hunter. Boomer pushed Hunter of of him and turned his attention to the two others on the other side of the pond. He waved and they waved back at him. Hunter turned to the larger stallion with the hulking left forearm. They looked at each other for what felt like forever before Hunter put out his hoof.

The large pony looked down at the hoof, backed up and sent his out as well. The hooves touched, making an audible 'clop'.

"It really is you Charger," Hunter said putting his hoof down.

"Aye, that I be," Charger said. His voice and accent had a lick of southern, but still had an Irish tone to it. His coat, like Jockey, was white. The only difference being is that he had no mane or tail, and that his hooves were visible.* Hunter smirked and was about to say something before being cut off by a loud splash. He, Boomer, and Charger looked at the pond to see a mare with a somewhat long neck and long mane spring up from the water. Her coat, like Smokers, was sickly but instead of green it was yellow. Glowing green spit trailed from her mouth and was leaking into the water dissipating quickly.

She coughed up water from lungs before breathing very heavily. She shook her head and her eyes came to rest on the other five. She looked back down a the lake to see her reflection and looked back up at the others. Smoker coughed and Hunter did the 'Sorta' shrug. Charger, Jockey and Boomer were talking at the time didn't notice Spitter. She dragged herself out of the pond and sighed.

"OK, where are we?" She said. Her voice was scratchy, but then again that's what you get for having acid spit. She looked at her companions and they all shrugged. She sighed again, and sat on her haunches. Fun fact about Spitter, she can be disappointed easily. As she was about to say something, a loud groan and weak sob cut her off. Every member of the group knew who and what made those sounds.

They watched as a large, muscle bound pony with a tan-brown pony and a little sliver and grey pegasus came into the clearing where the pond was. The hulking mass of pony looked down at the others and then snort of what almost sounded like laughter.

"You are all tiny ponies..." Tank said as he gave off a deep chuckle.* The others gawked at him. He was huge, and his mane was cut short like Boomer. They then fixed their gazes on the little pegasus, her coat was grey and her mane sliver. Unlike Hunter, her wings looked as if they had been torn and stripped of flesh leaving several sharp appendages. She silently sobbed and her eyes unlike the other slightly glowed. Her voice even though she was sobbing, was soothing and caring. Tank glared at Charger before bring his muscle bound forearm up and once again, an audible 'clop' was heard.

Smoker coughed loudly again getting their attention. "So, now that we're all back together... where are we?" He said. Their guess was as good as his.

Author's Note:

Whoa. Really long chapter longest I think I've written.
Any way enjoy!

Star One: I'm not sure if Hunters have eyes bu this one does.
Star Two: Think of how Big Mac's hooves look.
Star Three: Tank will have speech problems, so I don't want comments saying this makes no sense or this is spelled wrong.