• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 2,648 Views, 56 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 10: The Magician and the Angels - Doctor Perseus



After a month of traveling, things seem to be going well for the Doctor and his companions. However, after a certain egotistical unicorn appears in the TARDIS, they find themselves trapped in an army base that has a bad infestation.

  • ...
8
 56
 2,648

Blue Flames

Chapter 4: Blue Flames

Power Room, Fort McDonald, Trixus, Regulus Orbit, Autumn, 6609 C.E.

The Doctor was examining the power source closely with help from his Sonic Screwdriver. Alexander was standing next to him.

"Have you found anything out yet, Doctor?" he asked.

"Curious. Very curious. This power source acts, looks, and feels like a gas and yet it isn't a gas," the Doctor responded.

"If it isn't a gas then what is it?"

"It's a form of matter outside the main four phases of matter: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. This is made out of none of them. Tell me, Alexander. In this universe, are there more than four phases of matter?"

"Possibly. Scientists of all types have debated on whether or not certain substances can be classified as a separate form of matter entirely. There is one substance, though, that has been debated the most and I believe most scientists are ready to classify it as the fifth phase of matter."

"And what would that be?"

"Magic."

"Magic. I wouldn't doubt for one second that this power source is magical. Though that brings up even more questions."

"How so?"

"I haven't been in this universe for that long, maybe around a little bit over a month, but I have come into several magical encounters. Magic only seems to exist if somepony or something conjures it."

"This is true."

"So if this power source is magical, who or what is it being conjured by?"

Alexander fell silent. At that moment, Derpy and Spike ran into the room.

"Doctor!" Derpy cried.

"Derpy? Spike? What's wrong?" the Doctor asked.

"It's Twilight and Trixie! They're awake!" Spike replied.

"Well that's great!"

"There's something different about them, Doctor."

"What's different about them?"

"I think it would be best if you saw them yourself," Derpy said.

Refuge Clinic, Fort McDonald, Trixus, Regulus Orbit, Autumn, 6609 C.E.

Twilight examined herself in the mirror. It didn't take her long to notice the faint, blue flames deep in the back of her eyes. She knew something was inside of her but she didn't feel any different than what she normally felt like. There were no voices in her head, her skin didn't feel clammy or hot, and she didn't feel incredibly angry or sad. She felt normal, plain and simple.

"What are you?" she whispered to herself as she looked at the flames in her eyes, almost as if expecting a voice from within her mind to respond. She heard a chuckle from behind her. She looked to see that Trixie was sitting on the edge of her hospital bunk, chuckling softly. "Something funny?"

"What? Oh...no. I was just thinking of a strange coincidence," Trixie replied. Twilight was happy that Trixie was no longer acting like her usual, boastful self. She didn't seem to be as angry towards Twilight as she had been earlier. Something was different about her.

"What kind of a coincidence?"

"I wasn't lying earlier when I said that I was in the middle of a show when I randomly appeared in the Doctor's...what's it called again?"

"The TARDIS."

"Right, the TARDIS. The show wasn't that big of a deal. I haven't been able to get that many show opportunities since that whole Ursa Minor mishap two years ago. Apparently, news from Ponyville travels around quickly when it involves giant monsters and lying performers. It's been hard, trying to find work and somepony to take you in. I've been able to get some money working at shops and occasionally giving little performances here and there at birthday parties and bars."

"I guess some of that was my fault."

"You think?!"

Trixie fell silent. Twilight could tell that the magician wasn't as angry as she was displaying herself to be.

"No," Trixie continued. "It wasn't your fault. I was the one going around boasting about my supposed gifted, magical abilities to far beyond the average performer's norm. Those two colts wouldn't have gone off and disturbed that Ursa Minor if I hadn't been boasting about achievements that I didn't even have."

"Well this is certainly a change from the norm for you, Trixie," Twilight said with a smile.

"I've been angry for a while, Twilight. Mostly at you and your friends. I was so stubborn that I refused to take any responsibility for what happened and encircled all of my problems around you. All you did was clean up the mistake I caused, and I hated you for it. But...I don't anymore. Something here has just pushed all the anger away."

"The blue flames?"

Trixie pointed at her eyes and nodded.

"You see them too?" Trixie asked.

"Yeah," Twilight replied with a smile. "By the way, what was the coincidence that you were talking about?"

"Remember how you said the effects of the power source remind you of the Master's Rejuvenation Spell?"

"Yeah."

"That's actually the spell I was attempting to cast right before I got transported into the TARDIS."

"Seriously?! Huh. Something tells me that's more than just a coincidence."

"What do you mean?"

"I have no idea."

The clinic doors opened and in walked the Doctor, Derpy, Spike, and Alexander.

"So what's the problem?" the Doctor asked as he looked at the two unicorns.

"Look into their eyes," said Derpy. The Doctor looked straight into Twilight and Trixie's eyes and quickly saw the flames hiding deep within their irises.

"Interesting. Do either of you feel different in any sort of way?"

"No, though Trixie has begun acting nicer," Twilight replied with a grin. Trixie shuffled her hooves slightly until the Doctor began scanning her eyes with his Screwdriver.

"Get that out of my face!" she snapped.

"Apparently she hasn't done a full change," the Doctor chuckled as he proceeded to examine Twilight's eyes with the Screwdriver. "Curious. The flames in your eyes have readings similar to that of the power source."

"I'm not really surprised there. That's probably what put the flames in there," said Twilight.

"But what does it mean, Doctor?" Alexander asked.

"I'm not sure," the Doctor replied.

"Are they going to be okay?" Spike asked.

"As far as I'm concerned, I see no reason to fear for their health. They both appear to be healthy and normal, despite the loss of consciousness earlier and the blue flames in their eyes."

"That doesn't make me feel better by that much."

"Perhaps I should have worded that differently."

"You think?" asked Twilight, Derpy, Spike, Trixie, and Alexander together.

"Alright! No need to gang up on me! Let's just head back to the power source and see if we can deduce anything from it."

Refuge Entrance, Fort McDonald, Trixus, Regulus Orbit, Autumn, 6609 C.E.

Applejack and Pinkie Pie were standing next to the entrance, staring at the iron doors that separated them and the others from the Weeping Angel colony.

"Do ya think those doors can keep them Angels out of here?" Applejack asked.

"I hope so! I wouldn't want to come across those Angels again and get on their bad side!" Pinkie replied.

"Sugarcube, the first Angel we came across popped a poor stallion's head off like a cork. Ah think it's safe to assume that we're already on their bad side."

"Oh...right!"

Applejack smiled and then let out a great sigh. Pinkie looked at her friend to see that something was off about her.

"Hey, Applejack. Is something wrong?" Pinkie asked.

"Nah, Pinkie. Well...ah guess ah do have something on my mind," Applejack replied.

"Is it a secret?"

"Ah wouldn't say it's a secret. More or less ah would call it something that's on my mind that I don't really want to talk about at the moment."

"Oh...I understand."

"Pinkie...do ya miss home?"

"Of course I do...but I've definitely enjoyed our time traveling with the Doctor!"

"Yeah, I've enjoyed that too...but how much do ya miss home?"

"A whole lot! I miss the Cakes, I miss Gummy, I miss Vinyl and Octavia, I miss Lyra and Bon-Bon, I miss the Mayor, I miss-"

"Alright, sugarcube, ah get it."

"Why did you ask that anyway?"

"Ah don't know. Ah guess I'm starting to feel homesick too...but ah don't want to return home just yet."

"Huh?"

"Ah have a feeling that everypony's getting ready to head back to Ponyville in 1002. Ah just want to revisit one particular event one last time before heading back home."

"And what's the event?"

"Ah really don't feel like talking about it at the moment."

"Okay...I understand, Applejack."

It was at that moment that a loud bang emanated from the other side of the doors. Applejack and Pinkie jumped. Rarity walked in from the interior of the refuge base.

"Where on earth did that racket come from?" she asked.

"The other side of the doors," Applejack replied nervously.

"You don't think-"

Another knock came...and another...and then another. Soon the doors were close to shaking off their hinges. Something hard kept smashing onto the other side of the doors and the sound of scratching could also be heard.

"I think we need to tell the Doctor!" said Pinkie. Applejack and Rarity nodded. The three mares then took off towards the power room.

Power Room, Fort McDonald, Trixus, Regulus Orbit, Autumn, 6609 C.E.

Twilight and Trixie approached the power source once again. It still felt cold to the touch but, thankfully, it didn't cause them to pass out this time.

"Do you feel anything?" Alexander asked.

"No," Trixie replied.

"Nothing," Twilight added.

"There has to be something that we're just not noticing," said the Doctor. Suddenly, the entire room shook violently.

"What was that?!" Spike asked.

"An earthquake?" Derpy guessed.

"Asteroids don't have earthquakes," said Alexander. That's when Applejack, Pinkie, and Rarity burst into the room. They were followed by Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. "What's going on?"

"We think the Angels are trying to break in," said Rarity.

"What?! They've never been this ferocious in their attempts to get the power source."

"I wonder what's changed their attitudes so suddenly," said the Doctor. Twilight and Trixie turned towards the power source and noticed something odd about it: it was beginning to change color.

"Doctor," said Twilight. The Doctor turned and was stunned to see the gas ball changing from blue to purple.

"I think the power source is trying to tell us something."

"Or maybe it's trying to tell us something," said Trixie as she pointed to Twilight and herself. The source began quickly shifting between blue and purple and began spinning like a top. It was spinning so fast that it was blowing air at the ponies like a large fan. Twilight and Trixie froze as they both stared deep into the ball of swirling, magical gases.

"Twilight?! Trixie?!" the Doctor called. Twilight and Trixie remained silent as they continued to stare deeper and deeper into the ball of gas. A tear began falling down Trixie's cheek and Twilight gasped as if she had just learned a shocking secret. The power source then stopped spinning, returned to its original, blue color, and both Twilight and Trixie broke out of their trance. "What happened?! Are you two okay?!"

"We...we saw...some...things," Twilight breathed. Trixie was breathing heavily and looking around the room like something was going to take her.

"No! It can't be true! I won't let it happen! It's not going to take me!" Trixie cried as she ran out of the room.

"Trixie!"

Twilight chased after Trixie. The Doctor and the others followed in hot pursuit.

Refuge Cabins, Fort McDonald, Trixus, Regulus Orbit, Autumn, 6609 C.E.

Twilight eventually managed to catch up to Trixie in the survivor cabins. Soldiers and scientists were running all over the place as the building continued to shake from the Angels' attack. Trixie was nearly in tears now.

"We can't let it happen, Twilight! We can't!" Trixie cried.

"If that's what's supposed to happen then that's how it's got to be," Twilight sighed.

"We can stop it, can't we?! Please, Twilight! I...I don't think I'd be able to do it!"

"I'm not completely faithful in my abilities either...but we must do it to save the others...and ourselves!"

The Doctor and the others caught up with them.

"Twilight! Trixie! What the hell's going on?!" the Doctor asked. Trixie tried to break free from Twilight's grasp but Twilight held on to her tightly.

"Time sure is complicated. Right, Doctor?" asked Twilight, who looked almost as frightened as Trixie.

"What's going on? What did you see?!"

"Doctor...the power source...it's-"

Trixie let out a frightened scream and, in the blink of an eye, Twilight and Trixie disappeared into thin air. The Doctor and the others were speechless. Standing in place of the two unicorns was a Weeping Angel, whose face was curved into an evil smile of success.