• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 2,648 Views, 56 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 10: The Magician and the Angels - Doctor Perseus



After a month of traveling, things seem to be going well for the Doctor and his companions. However, after a certain egotistical unicorn appears in the TARDIS, they find themselves trapped in an army base that has a bad infestation.

  • ...
8
 56
 2,648

The Survivors

Chapter 3: The Survivors

Refuge Entrance, Fort McDonald, Trixus, Regulus Orbit, Autumn, 6609 C.E.

Everypony held their breaths as the gun barrels continued to point at them. The group of ponies operating the guns lowered their weapons upon realizing that the new arrivals were nothing to be afraid of.

"Thank Celestia! For a second there I thought some more Weeping Angels had gotten in!" exclaimed one of the armed ponies.

"You know about the Weeping Angels?" Twilight asked

"How could we not? They're all over the place!"

"He's got a point," said Spike.

"Who are you? Are you the rescue team or something?" asked another one of the ponies.

"Not really. We just ended up here by accident," said Derpy.

"Well you certainly took a wrong turn because now you're trapped here like the rest of us."

"Did any of you see a stallion by the name of Jefferson out there?" asked a pegasus mare in the back.

"We only came across one stallion and he...he was killed by a Weeping Angel," said Twilight. Some of the ponies lowered their heads while others threw their army caps to the ground.

"Damn it!" cursed a pony at the front who was obviously the leader. He was a buff earth pony with a brown coat, a brown mane, and a cutie mark that consisted of a tan shield.

"I'm sorry for your friend but you must tell us what's going on here," said the Doctor as he took a few steps forward.

"We don't like conversing with others whose names we don't know."

"The feeling is mutual."

"You first."

"Fine. If you insist. I'm the Doctor and these are my companions: Twilight Sparkle, Derpy Hooves, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Spike, and Trixie."

"The Doctor? As in-"

"Yes, as in the Doctor. I reckon that you've heard of me."

"Of course! I have read much about your travels. My name in Alexander Cross. I'm the leader of this band of survivors."

"Pleased to meet you. Now could you please explain to me and my friends why there's an abandoned army base infested with a family of Weeping Angels?"

"I'll be happy to explain everything to you, Doctor."

Alexander turned around and began walking towards the interior of the refuge base, beckoning the Doctor and the others to follow him. As they began walking, Alexander said, "By the way, Doctor, there isn't just a family of Weeping Angels here. It's an entire colony."

Refuge Cabins, Fort McDonald, Trixus, Regulus Orbit, Autumn, 6609 C.E.

Alexander led the Doctor and his companions past a series of rooms, each with at least two soldiers or scientists bunking inside of them.

"So where are we exactly?" the Doctor asked.

"You're in Fort McDonald. It's an army base built on the asteroid of Trixus...well it was an army base. Now it's nothing more than a prison," Alexander replied.

"What happened here? How did Weeping Angels come into the picture and how do you know what they're called?"

"Weeping Angels have popped up all over the place throughout history. Thankfully, most of the time you were there to stop them. One of my favorite Weeping Angel stories was the infiltration of Fort Rice in 1899. I believe you remember that one well since you were there."

"Yes. I remember."

"Anyway, ten years ago, in November of 6599, a large group of Weeping Angels just suddenly appeared out of thin air. We didn't know how they came to be here but we found out quickly that they were near impossible to beat. It didn't take long for us survivors of the initial attack to be pushed back into this small corner of the fort. The Weeping Angels have been breeding and reproducing constantly since the initial invasion. Now there's an entire colony here."

"How were they all able to mature to adulthood so fast?"

"I can only assume that the far-reaching effects of the power source they're searching for could have something to do with that."

"So there is a powerful energy source involved. I knew something was odd when the Angel simply decapitated your friend rather than sending him back in time."

Alexander led the Doctor and his companions down a flight of stairs that led into a large, circular room. In the center of the room sat a huge orb of blue energy.

"Incredible!" Twilight gasped. Pinkie Pie ran up to the orb and touched it. Swirls of blue gas wrapped around her.

"Ooh! It tickles!" she giggled.

"What's it made of?" Spike asked.

"Nopony knows. It just appeared here randomly ten years ago," Alexander replied.

"Let me guess. It appeared just before the Weeping Angels did, didn't it?" Rainbow Dash guessed.

"Correct. We don't know why it's here but it sure has proven useful this past decade."

"How so?"

"Since this appeared, none of us has aged a day. We've never had the need to eat, sleep, or even use the restroom. It's almost as if it's keeping our bodies frozen in a single, comfortable state."

"Strange," said Twilight.

"It certainly is," the Doctor added.

"It's strange because those effects seem to match the effects of the Master's Rejuvenation Spell."

"The Master's Rejuvenation Spell?" Rarity asked.

"Oh please! Every unicorn should have at least heard of it! It's an extremely powerful spell that can give any weakened creature all of its strength back," said Trixie as she rolled her eyes. "At full power, it can heal any type of injury and even suffice a creature's basic needs for a temporary time. But it's very difficult to pull off and can cause serious problems to the unicorn casting it if it's cast wrong. Putting a halt to the aging process sounds out of even that spell's league, though."

Rainbow and Rarity mumbled something to each other and Trixie proceeded to give them a death stare. Rarity fell silent, thinking about Trixie's earlier mane threat, while Rainbow simply glared back at her.

"The problem is that this thing is both our savior and our executioner," Alexander continued.

"Because this is what the Angels want," said Derpy.

"Exactly."

"An energy source powerful enough to stop aging. I can see why the Weeping Angels want it."

"But how can this power source cause the ponies to stop aging if it's also causing the Weeping Angels to mature faster?" Applejack asked.

"I think the answer's obvious!" said Trixie. "Obviously, this power source has differing effects according to which species is within its radius of power. It's common logic."

Rainbow mumbled something to Applejack and Applejack couldn't help but snicker.

"But we can't let them have it. The outcome of Weeping Angels gaining control over a huge energy source is never good," said the Doctor. Twilight walked up towards the power source and examined it. She stretched out one of her hooves and passed it through some of the magical gas. The gas felt cool to the touch but it had a sense of familiarity to it. Trixie was also drawn towards the power source. Like Twilight, she passed her hoof through it and it felt cool to the touch for her also.

"Twilight? Trixie? Is something wrong?" Fluttershy asked.

"Nothing's wrong," said Twilight and Trixie together in an almost robotic voice. Their expressions were glassy and they refused to turn away from the power source. The Doctor approached the two mares and shook them slightly. Twilight and Trixie suddenly grabbed their foreheads and passed out.

"Twilight! Trixie!" the Doctor exclaimed.

"I'll get some help!" said Alexander as he turned back and ran out of the room.

"What's happened to them?!" asked a worried Spike.

"I don't know," the Doctor said as he turned away from Twilight and Trixie and looked up at the mass of blue energy. "I just don't know."

Refuge Clinic, Fort McDonald, Trixus, Regulus Orbit, Autumn, 6609 C.E.

The golden light reflecting off from the planet of Regulus shone through the window like a dim shower of sunlight. Twilight and Trixie lay in a pair of beds across from each other, both mares caught in a calming trance of unconsciousness.

Twilight was standing in the middle of a plain of blue grass. The grass sparkled like diamonds and was cold to the touch.

"Just like the power source," said Twilight as she moved her hooves through the grass. She looked towards the sky to see a massive blue ball acting as the sun for this dream world of hers.

"Where are we?" asked a familiar voice. Twilight turned to see that Trixie was there with her.

"Asleep, I guess."

"Why are we asleep? I thought that power source prevented sleep."

"I know just about as much as you do about what's going on here, Trixie."

The two mares fell silent. Suddenly, two ghostly figures fell down from the ball of blue gas. The figures looked like the ghostly outlines of two ponies.

"It's almost time," the figures said. Their voices were distorted but they sounded like the voices of somepony Twilight and Trixie knew very well. "It's almost time."

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked.

"We've slept for so long. We've existed in a never-ending second. It's been a short experience for us and yet we know that we've been here for a long time."

"What are you talking about?!" Trixie asked.

"When time calls for it, you'll know what to do. You'll know what to cast. You'll know what to cast...and what to hold onto."

The sapphire grass slowly began to turn to stone and the blue orb of gas turned into a solid, gray rock. Twilight and Trixie watched as the ghostly figures turned into a pair of Weeping Angels.

Twilight and Trixie awoke with a start. Both of them were sweating terribly.

"You're awake!" exclaimed Derpy, who was sitting next to Twilight's bed with Spike.

"What happened?" Spike asked.

"I don't know," said Twilight.

"That makes two of us," Trixie added.

"Do you remember anything?" Derpy asked.

"I...I remember passing out next to the power source and then...the plain," Twilight replied.

"What plain?" Spike asked.

"The ghosts," said Trixie.

"What ghosts?"

"The Weeping Angels," Twilight and Trixie said together.

"What about the Weeping Angels?!"

Spike fell silent as he looked deep into Twilight and Trixie's eyes. Their eyes looked normal except for a faint, blue fire burning in the far back of their irises.

"What are you staring at, Spike?" Twilight asked.

"I'm not sure," Spike replied. Spike then leaned in close to Derpy and whispered, "I think we need the Doctor to take a look at this."

Derpy looked at Twilight and Trixie and quickly noticed the faint eye-flames too. She turned to Spike and whispered, "Yeah. Let's go get him right now."