• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 2,381 Views, 298 Comments

Strokes of Fate - Silbern



(Starcraft Crossover) Dusk Breaker harnesses the raw power and knowledge of the Zerg Swarm. His legend is not of how much can he destroy but of how he tries to keep the balance of the planet Equis.

  • ...
25
 298
 2,381

Chapter Twelve: Set In Stone

Celestia felt ill when the numbers arrived upon her desk. Over fifty ponies had lost their lives to a few of these Zerg creatures. Casualties were almost completely killed in Action with only a few escaping with their lives but with one limb less. All those families forever missing one shining star. With a long drawn out sigh she began with the very first letter that would be addressed to the families.

What if there was an army of these vile things?

What if Dusk didn't have them under his control?

As her pen levitated with grace across the letter she was plagued with mental decay. It had been centuries since her last letter that went home to a family that lost a loved one to service. A tear fell onto the parchment which stopped the feathered pen from it's movement. Celestia was shocked for a moment until she dabbed at her face with a hoof.

“The pain stings, does it not, Sister?” a voice broke the silence as Celestia turned her gaze towards the sole intruder at her door. Luna walked slowly into the room before a guard outside the chamber leaned in to close it after her. Levitating a rather lavish pillow to park her royal haunches, Luna gives her elder Sister a small smile. “I'm sorry things have worked out the way they had, Sister, but it was meant to be,”

“I know,” Celestia moaned as she set her pen down to levitate a freshly brewed tea kettle. Pouring two cups she tried to relax but the thoughts of Fatherless or Motherless foals kept invading much to her displeasure. “You would think that over so many years within my rule that I would have finally been able to accept such things with greater ease,” Celestia explained with relative comfort knowing that her words were shared only with her own blood.

“Tis just a gesture to show that you still have a caring heart. I would fear the day that you did not bother to write to those distraught families at all!” Luna tried her best to aid in comfort, effort that seemed to catch the older Princess with a smile.

“Thank you, Luna,” Celestia smiled gently before magically levitating the feathered pen back to the parchment. “Has there been anymore word of Twilight or her Mother?”

“We have every single official searching high and low along with every single undercover resource. So far we have discovered little to nothing however,” Luna's face was crestfallen as her report left her lips.

“I see,” Celestia acknowledge with utter distaste.

“What will be Dusk Breaker's fate then?” Luna asked curiously not exactly sure if bringing up the single pony to many of the Royal Sisters problems at this moment is a good idea.

“It's up to the Council of Species to decide,” Celestia responded with a rather unnerving monotone voice.

“You honestly had hope within him, didn't you?” Luna verbally prodded her elder sister with a hint of unsatisfiable curiosity. “Even with everything that he has caused, every life taken; you held onto a flicker of hope within him. Not every Pony can be saved, Celestia,”

“Do not think that I have not learned such a lesson with a thousand years by myself upon the throne!” Celestia demeanour's changed changed to such a cold expression as her voice was but a harsh whisper. Luna retreated a few steps as the sudden realization of her intrusion was quite evident as the very candles flickered with each word the Sun goddess ushered. “I've had a thousand years rebuilding, changing, learning, and evolving to know that very thing oh too well. I hate to be rude, Sister, but please leave me to this accursed task,”

Luna bowed her head with a rather guilty look upon her face as she quickly departed the room leaving a sullen Princess looking down in defeat as another tear hit the scroll.


Dusk Breaker dwelled many meters beneath the castle as the darkness completely succumbed him. All four hoofs were chained to separate parts of the cell as he hung motionless. Not even a small mouse graced the Hive Mind's presence as the only sound was the small breaths escaping his lips. His conscious felt so empty since the attack against his Hive. So many lights suddenly extinguished! The pain echoed through him like constant tidal waves of misery.

Hive Mind?

Dusk ignored the mental intruder much like he has the other thousand times.

Hive Mind?

A long sigh escaped but he remained strong in his defiance.

Hun?

Dusk Breaker's muscles coiled as if to strike as he heard the honeyed words filter through his mind. His mind tried to comprehend what he just heard but he didn't want to believe it. Quickly he searched the entirety of his Swarm, the pitiful amount that there was, and found one small light.

Can you hear me, Dusk?

What have you done to Fiddlesticks? Dusk's anger boiled as his mental vision focused on the Swarm conscious.

I have done nothing but help both the Swarm and Miss Fiddlesticks, Hive Mind.

That's complete crap! How could she communicate with me then?

Dusk, it's ok!

It was your intimate moments that transferred the Zerg DNA, Hive Mind. You infected her.

Dusk reeled as the clanking of chains against the stone floor echoed out into the pitch black confines.

Everythin' is fine, Dusk! I got one of 'em Drones in my Apartment along with the big Egg thing.

Get rid of them, Fiddlesticks! Don't get dragged further along in this then you already have! Dusk begged but he could feel Fiddlesticks anger even from his cell.

Don't ya start! I'm bustin' my hump to come up with a way to get you released from Prison!

Wait? What?

Ya heard me. Swarmy and Ah are comin' up with a way to get you out!

Swarmy?

That would be my rather mundane 'pet' name, Hive Mind. Please make her stop saying it.

Dusk chuckled lightly in his cell before returning back to his synapse communication.

Swarmy keeps mentionin' something about Carpet bombing but Ah have a bad feelin' about it. The Grand Summons is tonight, Dusk. What are we going to do about it?

Heh, yeah, don't let them do that. This is my last chance to barter some sort of deal with Celestia.

Ya honestly think she will give in at all?

Dusk remained quiet until he caught something that made his ears twitch. Raising his head for the first time since being admitted to this dark cell he finally managed to see some sort of light peeking through a small slit. A creaking sound echoed through his dark cell as the heavy iron door opened farther. Two tall ponies entered and through the low light Dusk could already see the slim armour of the Night Guard.

“It's time,”


Celestia waited at the head of the weathered table as the full moon covered the peaceful mountain side with a bright glow. It would help many of the creatures there as the multiple species were eyeing one another with multiple range of emotions. Orks regarded their smaller Goblin kin with some sort of form of greetings while the Deer, Zebra and Camel ambassadors glared at the Dragoon councillor. The Boars were the most acceptable sort with some surprise as the single creature sat beside the Buffalo chieftain sharing a cup of tea. The Ponies from abroad were chatting with one another except for two individuals who kept mostly to themselves. It was hard to be approachable when you wore Forest Wolves for jackets.

Celestia watched all of them with diligence as she suspected more then one attempt at insults or other distasteful actions. When the Orks tried to throw a goblin across the table only a stern look and a loud cough made them abort any such ideal. Her attention was slightly diverted however when a sudden whoosh of air pressed up against her coat. Turning her head she gazed upon her sister calmly sitting at Celestia's side with only a small smile.

“Did I miss anything?” Luna asked knowing full well that her big Sister wouldn't have started the meeting without her. Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armour, who sat on the other side of Celestia, merely chuckled at the Lunar Princess.

“Har, Har, Luna. We are waiting for our last guest to arrive,” Celestia answered as she threw the Orks one final glare to stop their Goblin catapult idea.

“He's always late though!” Luna groaned out with frustration as she stamped her hoof down.

“He's over ten thousand years old, Luna. You should show him respect instead of harsh criticism,”

Luna only rolled her eyes at the impromptu lesson. “What about Dusk Breaker? Is he ready to be shown to some of the most important individuals on this very planet?”

Celestia gave out a light chuckle at the question as she leaned down so only Luna could hear her. “We had to put over six Magic Nullifiers upon his horn, Luna.”

Luna was utterly shocked as her mouth hung open for a few moments. “Surely you jest? Three or four rings usually make a pony permanently brain dead!” Luna was flabbergasted at the very thought before an echoing roar was heard from towards the North. A colossal figure approached from the sky as his very form begun to block out the very moon itself. A fact that made Luna somewhat cower in her spot considering the past between the approaching figure.

“It's been over a thousand years, Luna. I'm pretty sure he won't assault you on sight,” Celestia nudged her younger sister until she sat up straight once more. The Dragon Lord, Ragnof, had to do a single lap as the crowd admired the great creature of legend. The Bellows of a Thousand Fires some called out nick names Ragnof had received over the years. Celestia, well versed with dragons, ignited her horn to protect the assembled meeting to the vast gust of winds as the Dragon grasped onto the side of the mountain for his seat.

The very sight of the Dragon Lord was magnificent as his jet black scales shimmered in the night. The thick membrane of his wings stretched far as they were able before slowly coming to a close to his sides. The jagged edges of his face contorted softly as the old creature gave out a large bellow of smoke that was easily following along the curve of Celestia's magical shield.

“It's nice of you to show, my old friend,” Celestia called out as she waited until the last remnants of the smoke was gone to dispel the orb surrounding the council. “I trust you found your way here to be quite exciting?”

A very low rumbling bellowed from the dragon's lungs as his head lowered closer to the large stone table. Many of the attendants soon found how sharp both his eyes and teeth are as his voice spilled out. “Var kuum, Ma'lk Theen,” The very tone from him practically oozed of ancient wisdom long lost to the shorter lived mortals present.

Celestia only giggled at the large, intimidating creature as the foreign tongue was easily lost amongst even the most Draconian of the assembled species. “Var Kuum, Ma'lk Vor Ragnof,” Celestia returned the greeting in a deeper voice that many only stared at quizzically. “My apologies, old friend, but I must ask that you speak in the common tongue for the rest that are not honoured enough to know of the Scale,”

A grunt of annoyance came from the creature as it eyed the mass of species. “It seems that my last sleep has been for much longer then I realized. Since when did we let in traitors and murderers?” Ragnof let his judging gaze fall upon the Lunar Princess as she stood her ground against a enemy she fought long, long ago. “So the little Moon was released from it's imprisonment?”

Celestia narrowed her eyes the Dragon Lord as the rather quiet mountain side was only home to the large creature's breathing. “Those dark times are far behind us, Ragnof. My sister has paid by appropriate means and is now redeemed,” The solar Princess' voice came out calm but even the most dense individual could sense the threat woven into each word. Luna held her ground but she seemed somewhat lost every time the scrutinizing gaze of Ragnof fell onto her.

“The last time we meet Little Luna I had to expunge your followers with my very breath,” Ragnof spoke as he huffed out smoke through his nostrils. “I still remember their screams for mercy as their flesh-,”

“Enough!” Celestia cried out to cut the Dragon off. Celestia could already feel her little Sister start to shake from the swelling memories. “I called you for your wisdom upon a different matter! The past is the past. We need to look to the future,”

Ragnof let out a low grumble of annoyance before slowly nodding his head. “Agreed. What is the reason you have the Council of Species assembled?”

Celestia nodded to Ragnof before lighting her horn which made the table shake for a moment before a large circle in the very middle appeared. For a few moments nothing appeared until the light of the Moon began to shine off a reflective surface. Only a few moments more passed as the assembled council witnessed a single pony chained to the stone tablet he was standing on. A large glass dome surrounded the prisoner which many began to whisper about.

The Gryphon ambassador smacked a claw against the stone surface of the table in annoyance. “You assembled us to discuss one single Pony? My time is more valuable then this!”

“This single Pony has recently killed over fifty of my subjects,” Celestia informed the assembly with a calm monotone voice. That very tidbit of news suddenly seem to install a new sense of intrigue amongst every being present. Murder happens possibly a few times in a decade but when over fifty body bags are filled so quickly in one of the most safest places on the planet; it draws attention. “I've assembled all of you to decide the fate of both himself and his species,”

“His species?” Ragnof asked with peeked curiosity. “Last time I checked, ponies were all one species with only three sub categories. How is this small one any different?”

“This is Dusk Breaker. Eldest Brother to Prince Shining Armour and Twilight Sparkle. He has been infected with a foreign biological organism that he has dubbed the Zerg,” Celestia began to inform the council as they all listened with apt attention. She ignited her horn once more to makes multiple pictures show along the face of the stone table. Weird structures and creatures were shown as multiple murmurs erupted from the assembled species. “We have evidence that Dusk Breaker has formed a sense of mental synapse with the creatures to the point where they follow his orders with little to no regard of their own life. The perfect soldiers,”

“The perfect soldiers?” The serpent like Dragoon scoffed at Celestia's remark. “They are nothing compared to a Legion of our finest. Have your ponies been growing soft in your long years of peace, Celestia?”

The Solar Princess said nothing nor let her expression changed to acknowledge the Dragoon. “We have a small live action feed of a recent assault on their Headquarters. Brace yourself for these images will be graphic,”

Celestia lit her horn once more as a large monitor hung in the air facing the crowd as heads turned to watch the floating screen. For a few moments it was simply pure white until both audio and video begun to play.

Watch the left flank! Left flank!

The image came through crystal clear which soon became a curse for some of the watchers as the Unicorn who was recording the event turned to see a guard be pinned against a nearby tree by his throat. The projectile was a large barbed object that easily begun to be coated in a layer of red. The imagery began to shift back to the front as what Celestia described as a Zergling begun to climb over the front line troops before pouncing on the Unicorn beside the video captor. Talons dug in deep into the Unicorn' side as mandibles went for the throat. Panic obviously set into the Unicorn taking the video as the camera was blurred for a moment due to quick movement. A few seconds later found the image back onto the downed Unicorn except the Zergling was now being skewered by several Guards.

Medic!

The video shifted towards the front line once more as a voice spoke out in stuttering murmurs. A large creature with two long scythe like limbs towered over the soldiers with ease.

Sweet Celestia...

With one swipe the Hydralisk had taken two heads clean off as well as battering a few off to the side. The Hydralisk continued his forward motion until the Unicorn was the only one in his way. A shrill scream was the last thing everyone heard as the reaper's scythe was raised high above. The monitor then went black.

Celestia cancelled the spell before all eyes were drawn back onto the pony chained within the dome. “I've tried to be civilized with Dusk Breaker. I've tried to make some sort of peaceful connection between our species but he keeps attempting to forcefully taking what he wants with little to no care about consequences. He is not one hundred percent evil as he has never outright attacked innocents even though his methods are aggressive. The Zerg also appear to be a territorial creature's or at least echo that of it's leader's ambitions,”

The audience was quiet as multiple eyes observed Dusk Breaker for what he truly was. It was the low grumbling from Ragnof that eventually broke the silence. “Can he hear any of us?”

“I have placed a silence spell over the glass dome. He is completely unaware of any of our conversation,” Celestia answered as she observed Dusk Breaker. The imprisoned pony just sat on his haunches with his head looking at the stone floor beneath him.

“Perhaps we should hear part of his story from his own mouth,”

Celestia recognized the gruff voice as a tall pony figure step forth. A long wolf cloak hung over his large muscled frame as it's teeth still hung in its maw. A single hoof pulled back the skull hood to show a dark brown coated pony that held one too many scars that impeded any growth of hair. “Greetings, Hardradi. All in favour of raising the dome to let Dusk speak his piece?”

Several attendants raised their limbs while others were more then happy to see the pony under lock and key. Ragnof raised one of his large claw's in favour as well as Princess Cadence and Celestia. It seemed with a dragon on their side a few more begun to call in favour. Celestia nodded to the winning vote as she begun to levitate the glass off Dusk Breaker.

“Dusk Breaker, you are charged on multiple accounts of murder and a long list of outstanding offences. How do you plead?” Celestia asked without missing a beat.

“Guilty,” Dusk raised his head sharply as his ears twitched a few times. Even his voice managed a few more murmurs from the gathered crowd.

We, the Council of Species, are gathered today to decide your fate. We are allowing you to speak your own mind although the final decision will rest with a favoured vote. Understood?” Celestia asked easily staying in her unbiased character.

“I understand,”

“Good. Let's start with some questions first,” Celestia paused for a moment as Dusk nodded in her direction. “Do you have any regret for any of those lives you took through violent means?”

“No,”

“What are your ambitions with the Zerg?” Celestia asked as she narrowed her eyes at the suspiciously straight forward behaviour.

“To maintain a healthy Swarm,”

“Swarm? Is that the Zerg collective?” a Deer voiced his own question.

“Correct,”

“Do you have absolute control over the Zerg?” The Gryphon asked with sudden interest.

“Correct,”

A larger murmur filled the crowd as Celestia watched everything like a hawk. It didn't take long before more questions started to file through the crowd.

“Can the Zerg fly?”

“Some strains of the Zerg DNA can,” Dusk responded without looking away from Celestia.

"That large creature, the Hydralisk, is it the largest creature the Zerg possess?”

“You mean what I possess. No, the Hydralisk could be crushed under some of my Strains,”

That was the final flood gate opening as the entire assembly began to brake out with questions. Celestia noticed however that Dusk never gazed away from her. Those lavender eyes almost began to play tricks in Celestia's head as she swore she could feel something eating away at her thought, like a pressure against her mental fortress doors.

Quiet!” Luna used the Royal voice to easily squelch any further questions. The assembly sat with unease as their eyes fell onto Celestia who remained quiet.

“If I may Celestia?” Princess Cadence asked as she raised a hoof to speak. Celestia nodded which Cadence took as she shifted her gaze to Dusk. “If we were to release you right now, what would you do with this dangerous gift you possess?”

“A rather broad question there, Sister,” Dusk chuckled as he shifted his gaze from Celestia to Cadence.

Celestia let out a sudden breath when his gaze left her. The sudden pressure in her head vanished as if it was never present to begin with. Her breath was ragged for a few moments as Luna pressed a hoof against her side.

“Sister, are you feeling well?” Luna asked as she watched her sister trying to gain her composure.

“Just a small headache,” Celestia lied through her teeth with ease but it was better then getting her sister worried. “Nothing to worry about,”

“To answer your question, Cadence, it depends on how this jury finds me. Am I too violent to let live? Will I be put down like a wild animal?” Dusk answered before the Grpyhon slammed his claw back onto the table.

“Kill him? Bah! We should use him!” the Ambassador suggested as he gazed around the crowd. “Imagine a military force of perfect soldiers to keep peace around the globe!”

NO!” Celestia shouted out with ferocity. “Never should we have to resort to the Zerg for a means of defence. Do you honestly think you can control him?” Celestia argued back.

“We're controlling him now!” the Gryphon shouted back as his wings stretched out in the natural intimidation effect.

“You honestly think any of you are controlling me now?” Dusk intercepted the conversation as the crowd went silent. Dusk simply chuckled before raising one set of chains while igniting his horn. The crowd watched in shock as a single razor blade tore through the metal like butter.

“Impossible!” Shining Armour shouted as he drew his sword and placed a barrier over the Princesses.

“These Magic Nullifiers prevent me from channelling my magic, not psychic influence,” Dusk explained as he easily discarded the black rings that were around his horn. “Now it's my turn to speak. It is true, I am a very, very dangerous Pony. My children are capable of very daunting tasks at a simple thought from my mind. My Swarm will never be perfect by Pony, Deer, Gryphon or even Dragon standards but even if I have to eliminate all life on this planet, my Swarm will survive,”

“You dare challenge the Gryphon Empire?” the feathered Ambassador stood with anger in his eyes.

“You think Gryphons the kings of aerial combat?” Dusk turned his attention to the rather loud Gryphon. “I'd rip your wings off and let you fall to your death. The only guess is if you would die by blood loss before becoming a splatter on the ground,”

“Dusk Breaker!” Cadence cried as she was finally witnessing the change within her brother-in-law.

Dusk ignored her as he turned to the majority of the attendants. “Let me live in peace as my own nation. I can contribute to a helpful global cause if only you give the Zerg a chance to do so in our own environment,”

The crowd remained quiet except for one.

Hardradi put a hoof onto the table as he gaze towards Dusk Breaker. “My son, Hallbjorn, has informed me that you have the heart of a warrior and a fair head on your body. The Forsaken forest to the West of Germaneigh belongs to no Pony nor Gryphon, perhaps we can use that as your test,”

Shining Armour slammed his hoof down with outrage. “Absolutely not! We cannot let something this dangerous to just run free! That spells doom for every free race on the planet!”

“I can't believe I'm siding with a Germneigh ground walker but I believe if this fool think his species is so tough then let him try. The Empire will be ready to put him down if he does anything but breath in that Forsaken dump,” The Gryphon Ambassador declared as he crossed his fore arms.

Celestia was hurt inside at what was stretching before her. This was Dusk's golden second chance at a peaceful existence. She wanted him to live that life but part of her wanted to strike down that pony where he stood. So many have already died because of that infection he has now called home. Celestia turned her head to look up at the rather silent dragon who also seemed to be rather lost in thought. “Ragnof, what do you think of all this? Your mountain is to the North of the Forsaken forest,”

Ragnof blew a large smoke cloud towards Dusk that was instantly blown back into the Dragon's face. The entire crowd gasped in sudden horror as seconds passed with no reaction from the Dragon. That was until a long, deep echoing laughter rolled down the mountainside. “Aye, my eyes will look over this Zerg race. My Son and Daughter will also contribute to the cause,”

“It is decided then,” Celestia said after a deep breath. “Dusk Breaker of the Swarm, from this day you are no longer a citizen of Equestria but a guest. The Forsaken forest is yours but you must remain in the forest. Leaving the forest for anything but a diplomatic mission will not be acceptable. Are these agreeable terms?”

Dusk nodded his head towards the Princesses. “I suppose you should clear room for the Swarm Embassy,”

Author's Note:

It feels good to be back!

My apologies for such a long wait! I moved, got a promotion, hobby stuff and overall a busy life for a bit. Hopefully I can jump back into a better time table!