• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 2,380 Views, 298 Comments

Strokes of Fate - Silbern



(Starcraft Crossover) Dusk Breaker harnesses the raw power and knowledge of the Zerg Swarm. His legend is not of how much can he destroy but of how he tries to keep the balance of the planet Equis.

  • ...
25
 298
 2,380

Chapter Six: Powder Keg

Shining Armour was beyond furious and although he wouldn't admit it to any pony else, he was also slight frightened. He had followed the Royal Sisters back to the Hospital where extra supplies were being delivered along with another garrison of royal guards. Extra tents were already set up as ponies scurried about with several tasks to complete, nary time to stop and acknowledge Royalty. Celestia didn't pay them much heed as she stopped before her own private tent and turning to address a rather complex Captain. “Is there something you need, Princess?”

Celestia took a moment to smile at him before placing a hoof on his side. “You need rest, Captain. No doubt today has taken it's grand toll on you.” she suggested with a tone that befitted a mother more then a ruler. She lowered her hoof to the ground before retreating to the confines of her mobile home leaving Shining to dwell with his thoughts.

“Princess, may I ask you a question?” the Captain asked taking a step forward as he watch Celestia halt for a moment before turning to face him.

“Of course! Ask away, Shining Armour,” Celestia said as she pulled one of the tent flaps open, an invitation that Shining nodded his thanks to. Following him in she immediately made her way to one of the soft pillows placed near a small ornate table. “What is it that plagues your mind, Captain?” she asked with her casual, caring tone.

“I have to be frank,” Shining began as he lowered his helmet to his side. “I'm not comfortable with dealing with the Zerg, your Highness,” he admitted his eyes looking to his ruler for some guidance. He was worried for a moment as she didn't answer but instead gazed at him with what he suspected was deep thought.

“I share your sentiment, Captain,” Celestia began as she levitated a nearby tea pot and poured herself a simple serving. “But I'm afraid that card was never in our hoof to deal. Care for some?” she asked as another tea cup levitated nearby.

Shining nodded his head in respect as he levitated the offered steaming beverage towards his lips. “I worry for Twilight, Princess. Could the corruption have possibly swayed her will as well?” he asked before taking another quiet sip.

“In all honesty, Shining,” Celestia frowned at the thought of the subject. “I'm in the dark with nothing but a single, wet match. Although I have much experience and strength in both the magical and diplomatic fields, Dusk is new and therefore unpredictable. You may have missed the subtle signs but he pushed for the Zerg's well being before his own.” she explained before Shining held up a hoof, a motion she nodded too.

“What do you mean? He seemed pretty selfish to me asking for raw materials before offering back anything but simple research. He already said that he thought about just assassinating both you and Luna!” he threw a hoof down in anger as Dusk's tone reminisced inside his skull.

“Dusk Breaker is simply trying to keep himself together. I suspect that he was trying to put up a tough front several times since his Zerg discovery. Be thankful twas us that discovered this species rather then the Gryphons. Imagine the Empire along side of the Zerg?” Celestia noted as the thought simply made her shudder before a relaxing drink of tea radiated warmth through out her.

Shining Armour could only share the sentiment as he thought of the destruction held by the rather aggressive birds. Although his knowledge on the Zerg is very limited, he didn't want to face an army of those creatures.

“Exactly,” Celestia finished the last of her tea before setting the cup gently down on the nearby table. “For now we should simply sleep and coming tomorrow's morning we will gather our bearings. Good night, dear Shining”

Shining Armour thanked the Princess for her tea and simply left her alone as he saluted the two guards standing at attention outside of her tent. His walk back to his own tent was perplexed as Dusk's image swirled through his mind. What are you doing, Dusk?


Dusk awoke with a long yawn as he blinked a few times against the sun's rather offensive light. Having no will to stir from his current position he simply tried to recap from the previous day. It was far from perfect but he was still alive and the Zerg still a mystery, a gem he decided to keep hidden as long as he could. Although if he was to get anywhere with this truce of his, he would have to tell them at least the location of the Hatchery. Not a very attractive ideal Dusk knew as he scrunched up his face just thinking about it.

A groan emitted from under the blankets as Dusk froze in thought, his ears going stiff at the sound. Soon he felt something cling tightly onto his side as he let out a quiet yelp. His body jerking against the surprise intimacy as he quickly threw the blankets off of the mattress.

“Sweet Celestia, turn off the darn lights!” Fiddlesticks begged as her head buried deeper into Dusk chest.

Dusk watched as one of her hoof's aimlessly searched the bed stand in the hopes of some sort of drawstring or possible switch. The very act made Dusk chuckle until another hoof was planted firmly onto his mouth. He could only laugh more as she raised her head to stare daggers at him, a motion which made him do the unthinkable. Lightly his hoof bumped onto her nose.

“Ah hate you,” she mumbled before lowering her face away from the sun light.

It took Dusk a good half hour just to release himself from her grasp. Dusk leaned against the door for a moment before making his way into the kitchen, not mentally prepared however. “Twilight, what are you doing?”

Twilight paused for a moment as she and the two Zerglings were silent. What caught the Hive Mind's attention was not that the three beings were interacting but why the Zerglings were adorned with chef hats. The kitchen remained awkwardly quiet until Twilight remembered about the pancakes on the oven top.

What the hell is going on here?

You were still asleep, Hive Mind, when your sister had awoken from her sleeping cycle. Under your direct orders, I did not condone any aggressive behavior towards her but it would seem she had different plans.

To play dress up?

Apparently so, Hive Mind.

Dusk only groaned before ordering his two Zerglings to ditch the hats and regroup back into the Library. He watched as they shook their heads to dislodge the absurd head ware before scampering off into the adjoined room.

“Those things were surprisingly nonchalant about the hats,” Twilight noted as she flipped the last pancake onto an already wavering stack. Humming, she levitated multiple plates, cups and assortment of silver ware onto the table before giving a bright smile at a job well done. “Breakfast is ready!”

Dusk instantly heard a pattering of what he suspected was the only other resident besides Owlicious, who sat quietly on his perch near the window.

“Mornin' Twi! Mornin' Dusk!” Spike greeted eagerly before jumping into his seat with an obvious hunger deeply set in his gaze. Not even Owlicious landing on the young dragon's head could distract him from the prize that Twilight was setting on the table.

“I'll go fetch our guest,” Dusk said as he begun to trot past his sister until a hoof stopped him. “What's up, Twilight?” he asked but something in her eyes instantly told him this conversation wasn't going to be pleasant.

“Are you sure you want to get involved with her?” Twilight asked with a tone bordering on worry and if Dusk didn't know any better, resentment. She pulled her hoof back and without even casting a glance at Spike she managed to serve him a few pancakes. “I don't want this to sound like a repeat of Cadence but are you sure?”

Dusk rolled his eyes at her before rubbing a hoof in her mane, effectively leaving lavender eyes to glare back at him. “For a mare that is trying to refrain from this being a repeat,” Dusk said as he poured water into a glass. “You're not trying very hard,” he said before leaving her to stew. He stopped before the guest room door as the question begun to stick to his conscious.

Should I get her involved?

No, Hive Mind.

I was asking myself that.

She is nothing but a distraction, Hive Mind. Your concentration should be on the swarm and not with a female of your species to copulate with.

Sweet Celestia, if I'm stuck with listening to you for the rest of my life I'm going to need company to keep me sane.

With that thought he knocked a couple of times only to get a angry growl in response. Chuckling to himself he entered the room to find the mare burrowed under both blankets and pillows. Setting the glass of water down on the side table he quietly made his way to the side and pulled the edge of the blanket up. From the dark he noticed two orbs of utter hatred staring back.

“Ya 'ave three seconds before Ah smack that look off yer face,” Fiddlesticks threatened as her eyes narrowed at the Stallion playing peek a boo.

“And here I thought I was playing the Stallion in Shining Armour,” Dusk joked quietly knowing full well what happens after a night of drinking away. He levitated the glass of water into view as he noticed the sudden change in her expression. “But I guess the Mare in Distress doesn't need me. Tis a shame, considering I was going to ask her on a another date today.” Dusk watched for a reaction but only got a slow hoof appearing from the blanket's depth to grab at the glass. Being the dastardly Stallion that he is, he pulled the glass away just out of her reach. Dusk continued the process until he could see the lump under the blanket move closer and closer to the edge.

“An' why in Equestria would Ah want t' go on 'nother date with you?” Fiddlesticks asked before sticking her head out from underneath the covers. “Considerin' ya never took me out on the first date,” she accused directly at him as she finally managed to grasp the glass from his magical aura. Looking up she knew why she managed to grab the beverage. Even with a raging headache Fiddlesticks could tell that the comment struck deep, possibly deeper then she anticipated.

“I'm sorry that the date didn't exactly go as planned or even started for that matter,” Dusk apologized as his gaze fell away from Fiddlesticks. The guilt was apparent as he felt a sudden pang against his chest. “Things just got hectic and before I knew it I was in the hospital, again. I swear I can make it up to you if you give me another chance,”

Fiddlesticks suddenly felt the same pain of guilt as she remembered that it was Dusk who came to her rescue after her clumsy incident. She let out a deep breath before finishing the rest of the water then placing it on the table. “Where do ya plan on takin' me tonight?”

Dusk's eyes went wide as his ears snapped to attention. Looking back towards Fiddlesticks he was rewarded with a small kiss on his lips. He froze in spot as his mind desperately tried to comprehend what had just occurred. “What was that for?”

“Ya did manage teh save me from the terrible cardboard box monster which is mah storage room. If tonight goes well then ya may get 'nother,” Fiddlesticks reasoned before getting cut off as Dusk just went ahead and kissed her again although his lasted much longer and to her very welcomed surprise, much more passion.

“I'll pick you up at six for dinner.”


Dusk sat himself down on the very same spot he occupied from the previous night as across from him sat a rather refreshed Celestia along with a hoof full of guards and a few scientist. This time however, Twilight had taken a seat between the two parties. Dusk didn't know if she was just trying to become a mediator but he couldn't exactly complain considering it was her house. “Let's begin,” Dusk said as he lightly tapped his hoof on the edge of the table.

Celestia coughed once to clear her throat before speaking. “Very well, Dusk. I assume you are ready to let my professionals have a deeper look into this 'Zerg'?” Celestia asked with a confident smile as she noticed Dusk smile back at her. It was a sign that the air of hostility from yesterday has dispersed even if it's only temporary. “Shall we go then? Doctor Pain Killer is rather excited to get started,” Celestia raised her hoof to the familiar pony who still wore a few bags under his tired eyes.

“Absolutely not,” Dusk replied as he still held his smile on his face.

Celestia didn't let her smile falter although the few ponies around her seemed slightly shocked that a simple Unicorn outright denied the Princess. “You want your resources first I take it?” Celestia asked even though she was sure about his answer.

“Correct,” Dusk replied as his gaze never left the Princess. “I had a quick chat with my intelligent, little sister and she had devised a plan of sorts,” Dusk pointed his hoof gingerly to Twilight whom simply beamed at the compliment. “She has followed Rarity once or twice to her favourite gem picking ground. I have already sent some Drones to search for the valuables and upon any discovery I will show you the way to my Hatchery,” Dusk finished with a smile hoping that such a deal could be made.

Celestia smiled softly and nodded her head. “I'm glad to see that you are proactive but please consult me next time you consider expanding your already hidden border line,” The Princess said before placing a hoof on the edge of the table. “Other then that small detail, I accept!” The ponies surrounding the Princess breathed a sigh of relief until they heard screeching. Instantly the Scientist gathered together as their eyes watched the clearly agitated Zerglings. Guards held steel in their gaze as spears and swords were at the ready. “What is the meaning of this?” Celestia asked as her smile had disappeared.

Dusk wore a face of anger as if personally insulted by a pony from with in the very room.

Are you absolutely certain?

Yes, Hive Mind. The unknown attackers have killed a Drone.

Dusk smacked his hoof onto the table which made Twilight jump in surprise. “One of my Drones have been killed. You wouldn't know anything about this, would you?” Dusk narrowed his eyes towards the Princess. He noted her surprise at the accusation but she easily masked it once more. “Where's your sister or even better, my brother?”

“I would not risk the relations between us so early. My sister is back in Canterlot to look over political means and to make sure that the Grand Summons is prepared.” Celestia stated her defense. “How did you know that your Drones are under attack?” the Princess asked but she never got a reply as she watched Dusk making his way to the door.

Celestia and Twilight followed eagerly until they noticed the sun was blotted out by a large figure descending towards them. The gathered ponies watched with awe and shock as they could make out the detail of the creature. Long tendrils hung from it's bulbous body while it was covered with large sacks that Celestia could only fathom of what it's contents could be. How it flew was the most spectacular thing as it had neither wings, propellers or any known propellent. They watched in silence as it's tendrils grazed along the ground until they grasped onto the two Zerglings which were then hoisted much closer to the body as if a mother holding an infant.

Pain Killer stood with his mouth wide open in awe. He was on edge about being assigned to the Zerg team but it's was quickly dashed at seeing such a creature. If he could only just get a day alone to study this species, he would be happy.

Dusk stared at the creature for a moment as he felt the bond between them both mentally and now physically as he placed a hoof against one of the patches of carapace. The moment was dashed however as he begun to crawl up the creature until he was perched atop.

“What are you planning, Dusk Breaker?” Celestia called out as her surprise was now held with determination. “I need you to act calm and reserved! Do not stir something that you cannot control while in my Equestria!” Celestia shouted which only received a nod from Dusk before he was airborne.

“He's going to do something stupid, isn't he?” Celestia asked with a sigh.

“I honestly do not know anymore, Celestia,” Twilight answered very much the same enthusiasm as her teacher. “I'll show you to where I had advised Dusk,” Twilight offered as she began to make her way towards the rocky terrain.

“Holy cow!” Spike exclaimed as he pointed to the fleeting Overlord from the Library window. “Dusk has a new hot air balloon too?”


“Damn this place!” Dusk shouted out in frustration. He had searched for hours along the landscape until he finally caught the Drone's pheromone trail. Flanked by his Zerglings he gave rapid chase to the trail until it just stopped dead in it's tracks. He even had the Overlord start a searching pattern by air and still nothing was revealed. The only thing that was of any profit for the day so far was that the remaining Drone from the search party had found several small deposits. Something that made the trip worth while as Dusk could feel the amount of Bio-energy which was stored in the Hatchery grow dramatically.

Report, Swarm.

The drone has returned from your position with the minerals, Hive Mind. I've begun morphing for four more Zerglings per your orders.

Excellent. When I find and catch these bastards I will teach them true fear.

I suggest we expand our might with Hydralisks, Banelings or Roaches, Hive Mind. We have enough resources for one of their DNA housing units.

Dusk was quiet as he mentally recollected all of the Data from the three creatures to pick from. As much as he wanted Banelings for their very effective volatile nature but when dealing with ponies so close by he rather not chance it.

I suggest we start to morph towards Hydralisks, Hive Mind. Roaches are resilient to many forms of attack but they are not exactly agile creatures. They will be at a disadvantage in this forest that you are so adamant about keeping alive.

Fine, Hydralisks it is then. When can I expect to meet my first Hydralisk?

Tomorrow morning, Hive Mind.

Dusk licked his lips at the idea of furthering his expansion. If he could impress the Princess enough then he could peacefully expand although it would be farther away from Ponyville. As much as he relished the ideal of freaking out his Sister and friends, Dusk decided that doing it with deadly creatures may not be the right idea. Tempting though Dusk thought with a chuckle.

“Finally we caught up to you!” Twilight announced as she gave herself a few moments to catch her breath, a manor only the scientists had to follow. She trotted up to Dusk's side only to find the Stallion grinning to himself. “Are you ok, Dusk?”

“I'm fine, Twilles,” Dusk replied before turning around to face the group. “I have good news too, Celestia. My remaining Drone has indeed found minerals in this area and although I have lost one of my creatures, I will let you study my species,” Dusk announced himself as he noticed a exciting murmur emit from the lab coat ponies who were still trying to gather their breath.

Celetia examined the environment and only noticed the prior large dog like creatures and the flier searching the area. “I'm glad we can continue this relationship between us, Dusk. Can you show us the way to this Hatchery that you mentioned?” Celestia asked with a calm gesture as she waved one of her fore hoof to the Everfree forest.

Twilight was confused for a moment as she watched her oldest brother. Dusk didn't respond but instead locked himself in what seemed to be a staring contest with Celestia. “Are you sure that you're fine, Dusk?” Twilight asked with growing concern displayed in her tone.

“I'm ecstatic, Twilight.” Dusk responded as he waved a hoof towards one of his Zerglings. “Everypony please follow the Zergling, he'll guide you through the forest,” Dusk ordered as he noticed the scientists waiting for the Princess to give them her approval.

“Accompany them, Guards. I will catch up in a few moments after I have a chat with Dusk Breaker,” Celestia ordered which the soldiers saluted too. Dusk and Celestia watched as the crowd followed the lone creature towards the forest's edge. “You want to know how I found out?” Celestia asked as she donned a much more serious tone.

“Yes,” Dusk answered as he was anything but patient.

Twilight was looking back and forth from the two until giving in. “What in the hay are you two talking about?” she asked with a growing hint of confusion.

“She already knows where my Hatchery is, Twilight,” Dusk admitted with some bitter embarrassment.

“Don't beat yourself up, Dusk Breaker. I already had a strong hunch that your base of operations was in the forest. No where else to hide such foreign designs unless you really want to travel the distance,” Celestia explained her reasoning as she begun a slow walk to catch up from the scientist. “My pegasi guards informed me of the small clearing that they almost missed. I have to say, Dusk, I'm not happy about what you've done to the wildlife,” Celestia admitted her own feelings.

Dusk rolled his eyes at her remark but tried to remain calm none the less.

Remind me to invest in something to shoot down air opponents.

Yes, Hive Mind. Do not forget that the Hydralisk can also take down air units depending on the distance.

Dusk didn't forget but the reminder made him smile slightly. It was a reassurance to help him balance out the discovery that the Princess was not as lax and peaceful then he thought. “I suppose I would have done the same in your position, Celestia,” Dusk admitted which made the Royal mare smirk in response.

The group casually walked through the forest and although Twilight and a few others were scared at the thought of being in the infamous Everfree forest, not a soul appeared from the multiple shadows. Dusk could smell the multiple creatures watching them but he had a feeling that they knew better then to attack. What he wasn't prepared for was the multitude of questions directed at him upon the Hatchery's discover.


“What have you done?” the ragged Diamond Dog asked just before he slapped his partner over the back of his head. His partner simply whimpered before fleeing from the gruesome scene that developed in the tunnel. The plan was simple just like any other as the Dog prodded the remains of the crushed Drone. They lured the strange looking thing in with a few gems and then caused a collapse behind it effectively leaving it trapped. The ending result however left a rather messy splatter amongst the dirt floor.

“I need better help,” Barkins the Diamond Dog admitted with a scowl before turning to head deeper into the lair. His pack was hungry and their constant whining was getting on his nerves. He had to hunt the forest on multiple occasions but it had ceased a couple of days ago considering the rumor spread amongst the wild life. Barkin growled at the very thought of such a dangerous thing to be spreading as he finally made it to the central den. Over a hundred pairs of eyes followed him until he sat upon his throne.

The den was surprisingly quiet as Barkin scanned the audience. He knew each of them were hungry and mere rats and mice were not going to do it any longer. They needed to feed and he knew exactly what would quell their stomachs.

“Tonight we will feast!”

A roar of howls and enthusiastic barks replied.