• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 2,380 Views, 298 Comments

Strokes of Fate - Silbern



(Starcraft Crossover) Dusk Breaker harnesses the raw power and knowledge of the Zerg Swarm. His legend is not of how much can he destroy but of how he tries to keep the balance of the planet Equis.

  • ...
25
 298
 2,380

Chapter Nineteen: Primo Victoria

Blurry. The only word that reliably described Jager's condition as he stirred from his unwanted sleep. His visor on his suit was cracked but the heads-up display was still functioning, thankfully. A pain echoed in his head but through pure ignorance the Marine simply focused on the diagnostics from his suit. No punctures, no broken bones or lacerations. His body may have been fine but the headache reminded him of tequila and an ass whooping directly aimed at his temples.

The Engineering Hanger was tensely quiet as his eyes darted left and right in hopes to see his fellow comrades but to no avail. Doctor Yarko was nowhere to be seen and neither was that damn Zerg bitch.

A light overhead flickered as sparks flew out causing the bulb to burst. Cursing his luck, Jager activated his suit's flashlight to illuminate more of the deserted Hanger. Large cargo containers and nothing else.

“My Kingdom for a rifle,” Jager cursed as the flashlight scanned the deck at the sight of the crumpled mess that once resembled his weapon. There was only one thing a Marine was to do in this situation. Get more Marines. Jager opened a channel to the Bridge immediately “Bridge, this is Security Sunray. I'm in Engineering with no weapons. What is the Ship's current status? Over,”

The line was silent. Not even a crackle of response came back.

Jager tried again and again and again; no response. His skin crawled and the shadows began to seem more menacing as his desperation grew. He doubled and triple checked his suits communication software. It was green across the board. The only explainable problems now were either the Ship's communication Hub is out of commission or the more daunting option, there is no one on the Bridge. Jager tried to calm his breathing as he slowly walked along the Engineering deck, making sure his back was always to the bulkhead.

He sent emergency calls to all signals within the Ship's radius. Bridge, Security, Engineering, anything that could receive a transmission was tried. Real, genuine fear was now settling in as the large Air-lock doors separating Engineering from the rest of the ship slowly opened. Where did everyone go? How was he still alive? He didn't even see his squad mates from earlier. Corridors and rooms were deserted of any life besides himself. All the ship's large pane windows had the protective shutters initiated which only increased the claustrophobic feeling.

“Is someone there?”

Jager halted dead in his tracks at the sudden intrusion of a voice. It sounded as if spoken through a speaker or possibly just far away. He could tell that the speaker was scared though, a feeling he could share in spades. “I'm Sgt. Jager of the Security team. Where are you?” the Marine frantically asked as he turned his head several times to find the person speaking.

“Jager! Is that you?” the called out again but with a flicker of hope in her tone.

Jager recognized the voice in an instant. “Alexandra! Thank the gods!” Jager breathed out with relief as he frantically searched down the long corridors for any sort of life. “Where are you, Alex?” he asked as he stopped at an intersection.

“Look up, Jag,” Alex called out with a tone that hinted towards her holding back tears of joy.

The Marine in blue raised an eye brow in confusion before realizing the security camera has been following every move he was making. “You're in Security right now?” Jager asked as he looked up to the Camera with a such a big smile it hurt his cheeks.

“No. We had to abandon most of the ship yesterday to due the breach,” Alex began to explain although the joy seem to drain out of her after each word. “You've been out of it for hours, Jager. Things have turned from bad to worse,”

Jager stood there with a sullen face at hearing the news. How could it have gone that bad? They didn't have that many Zerg aboard and the Security teams were all Veterans from previous Zerg encounters. Fiddlesticks was the only mystery equation but it seemed odd to him that she'd kill innocent, unarmed Humans. It wasn't in her psych profile. “Where are you now, Alex?” Jager spoke out to distill the unnerving silence.

“Don't worry about us. You need to stop Otterman!” Alexandra said with urgency.

“Otterman? What are you talking about?” Jager asked as he quickly scanned his environment to make sure that nothing was trying to kill him.

“He has Fiddlesticks!” Alex cried out.

“Good! We can start to make things right aga-,” Jager tried to respond before getting cut off.

“No, that is not good! The remaining Zerg on board have gone feral due to their inability to communicate with her!”

“You're right. That's bad.” Jager groaned as he desperately wished that he still had his rifle, again.

“He captured Fiddlesticks and left the rest of us to die. The Bridge crew have been killed along with most of engineering. I have a few other survivors with me but we have no weapons,” Alex explained between breaths. “He ejected all escape pods and locked himself in the Science Wing waiting for rescue to come. The bastard plans on taking all credit for the discovery along with the fame,”

“So let me get this straight. I have to rescue the same bitch that threw me into a bulkhead and that's only if I'm not mauled to death by Zerglings!” Jager cried out in a hushed manner, his frustration blaring obvious.

“And one Hydralisk,” Alex added in sheepishly.

“You got to be fucking me,”

“A Hunter-Killer variant to be exact,” Alex's description expanded.

“That's just peachy,” Jager groaned as he ran his gauntlet over his face in mental exhaustion. “You just had to save your little Pony friend from the Evil Humans, didn't you?”

“I almost had her to an escape pod! The door sealed in front of us before we could board it than everything went spiralling downhill, but there's no time for that! You need to save Fiddlesticks! Please!”

“Fine! I'll save your damn friend but only because it saves our skin! I hope she burns in hell for everything her race deserves!” Jager cursed before making his way down a hallway only to see two large talons appear like ghastly blades out of the shadows. The Zergling's screech echoed down the long corridor as Jager stood there motionless, praying to any god that would listen.

“Run, Jager! There's an elevator shaft to your left!” Alex called out in panic as the camera rotated to see the slow, approaching danger.

Jager didn't even give her a response as he kicked both himself and the suit into overdrive. The Zergling easily caught on to his prey's intentions as it made great speed to close in.


Celestia stood amongst a Company of Royal Guard accompanied by her Sister, Luna, and several Gryphons. Their Gryphon companions all wore assortment of Military uniforms that displayed their individual House that they represented. The mood amongst them was something akin to a powder keg, not like the Princess could blame them. It shocked her as well when a Pegasus courier collapsed with exhaustion outside her bedroom doors.

“I still do not believe that Dusk attacked an entire garrison without some purpose beyond attracting conflict,” Luna spoke out without averting her gaze to the Zerg buildings ahead of them. “Dusk may be territorial but to blatantly enter Gryphon territory?”

“It's troubling no matter how one looks upon the situation,” Celestia responded as she patiently waited in the gentle warmth of the Sun. “What worries me more is that I have yet to hear from Fiddlesticks since her disappearance. I fear for her safety,”

“Then why are we waiting here on their bloody doorstep?” A Gryphon dressed in a sharp red uniform motioned as he pointed a claw towards the main Zerg Hive building. “My Houses' Lord didn't send me to simply watch them from a distance. We need answers!”

“I'm awaiting one more member. One member who has witnessed it all for your Lords,” Celestia spoke but her patience and temperament being less wieldly as of late. It took a few minutes worth of grumbling from the Gryphons before a large shadow covered the smaller beings on the grassy knoll. Whispers of awe and fear were shared amongst both guards and Ambassadors alike as the large creature landed gracefully twenty meters away to avoid gusting the smaller creatures away.

His scales were as dark as night, his claws sharper than any steel. He held an aura of authority about him as he moved closer in a slow motion as he collapsed his wings to his side. The bright, fiery red in his eyes eagerly analyzing the crowd assembled before him.

Celestia smiled wholeheartedly as she waved to the Dragon before her. “Var kuum, Ma'lk vor Halstein,” she spoke in the Draconic tongue which confused most around her beside Luna.

The Dragon bobbed his head in a gentle gesture to show his respect. “Var kuum, Ma'lk Theen. Your invitation is an honour although the situation is not exactly peaceful,” Halstein, Son of Ragnof, spoke with a deep voice that many could feel in their very bodies. “My Father spoke of this Dusk Breaker as a particular individual of interest and I have seen why now,”

Celestia nodded her head with slight remorse of her part in this mess. “He is indeed. Is it true that he assaulted the Gryphon compound a day ago?” Celestia questioned as the crowd grew quiet for the dreaded answer.

Halstein let out a breath as he scanned the crowd. “He was efficient and his prowess at commanding his Army was commendable. The Gryphon garrison had no chance against the attack of that magnitude,” the Dragon explained which caused many of the Ambassadors to break out in chatter and threats.

“So it is true,” Luna spoke with a huff of disappointment.

Celestia nodded her head solemnly before turning her attention to her Sister who shared the same emotion of remorse.

“There is one more thing,” Halstein spoke which caught everyone's attention. “The Mare you spoke of, Miss Fiddlesticks, I'm afraid is still missing,”

The Princesses rose their head at the news as they searched the Dragon's facial expression for more info. “Fiddlesticks never came here with Dusk Breaker?” Luna asked as she ignored the curious rambling of the Gyphons behind her.

“Dusk arrived with a Pegasus and a Unicorn but no Earth Mare of the description which you passed along to me,” Halstein answered as he lowered his body onto the grass to rest. “I have noticed Dusk often searching skyward until recently,”

“What do you mean by recently?” Celestia prodded as she raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

“He has disappeared one night and I've yet to find him since,” Halstein responded with little hesitation. “My eyes are some of the most renowned, Celestia, and they still cannot find Dusk,”

Luna was in deep thought for a moment before speaking up. “If Fiddlesticks is still missing does that mean Dusk attacked the compound due to evidence of her whereabouts?” Luna suggested as her gaze slowly turned to view the Gryphons who continued to mutter amongst themselves.

“I doubt the Gryphons would abduct Fiddlesticks just to start a conflict. If War is what they truly want then they would have just declared it out in the open with honour,” Celestia spoke as she thought about the situation. “Would someone be manipulating him from the shadows?”

“There is one way to find out,” Luna said as she turned her gaze to the Hatchery.


Mr. Fang was nervously pacing around in his lavish office, mutterings escaping his lips now and again. The blinds to the windows were shut to keep any kind of light out. In the dark however kept the greatest secret he held thus far in his life. The great clock near one of the sofas made a maddening sound as the Stallion tried to concentrate on his goal. Looking up on the wall was one screen that Mr. Fang was starting to despise slightly less than the Zerg Alicorn.

When the screen finally flickered to life, Mr. Fang practically galloped to it. The Stallion's eyes searched over the image madly only to see a darkened figure in a dimly lit interior.

“Good evening, Mr. Fang,”

Mr. Fang was livid as he paced around his office thankful that his room was shrouded in darkness. His eyes never left the screen upon his wall however as the moments in silence dragged on. “Where is Fiddlesticks, Doctor?” Mr. Fang finally stopped his movement to wait in silence.

“Their was some complications but she is still under my control. You have nothing to worry about, Mr. Fang,” Otterman responded with little amusement, finger tapping on a nearby desk.

“Complications?” Fang spoke through gritted teeth. “You missed one of our scheduled meetings, Dusk is refusing any of my request till he see's Fiddlesticks and Celestia is now more focused on my operations! Please, for love of everything natural, tell me where I shouldn’t be worrying?”

“You are over reacting, good Sir,” Otterman waved his hand as if that act would calm his business partner down.

“Over reacting my Hoof!” Fang spat with ill intent. “I need Dusk to beat the stupid Gryphons into submission so I can export my goods! Thanks to your complications, I have yet to speak to him in days!”

“Wait,” Otterman spoke with slight reluctance. “When was the last time you spoke with Dusk?” the Doctor asked as his vision shifted away from Fang and to something else on his desk. The Human's fingers rapidly tapping on something as different lights flashed onto Otterman's face.

Fang was put off slightly as he studied the Doctors face. The aged man seemed worried, eyes eagerly and attentive to whatever was on his desk. “I spoke to him a day and a half ago after he successfully accomplished his mission,” Fang spoke softer then his attitude moments ago, unease in his tone.

“This can't be,” Otterman mumbled as he shifted his chair to rapidly tap away on what looked like a different monitor. “You deceptive little infection,” Otterman spoke softly before breaking into a nervous chuckle.

“Doctor?” Fang spoke out to break the man from his distraction. “What is going on, Doctor?”

Otterman blinked a few times before adjusting his attention back to the Pony. “Tell me, Mr. Fang, what do you think would happen if the Zerg race was allowed to exist on your planet?” Otterman asked as his body stopped all movement, a slight smile on his face.

“They killed my Son. I will not allow something that monstrous to exist,” Mr. Fang spoke with hatred so deep indebted in him that it was almost physical.

“I see,” Otterman spoke softly as he reclined in his seat. He motioned for something beneath him as he brought what appeared to Mr. Fang as a bottle containing dark drink. “Than I ask for your forgiveness for my sins,” Otterman spoke as he tipped the bottle back to take a large swig.


Fiddlesticks stirred slightly as a groan escaped her lips to protest any sort of movement. She felt the cold metal below her and new that it was much different than her cell. Fiddlesticks still couldn't sense the Swarm or Dusk but it was a situation she has started to get used too. It was lonely and suffocating all at once. In Ponyville she was always surrounded by Ponies and Family which could always give a helping hoof when need be. Dusk only added to that great feeling, although initially a pain, as he literally took her own a adventure which she secretly cherished.

Fiddlesticks gave one final groan as her muscles protested as she rose to all four hooves unsteady. Eyelids fluttered a moment as her blurred vision laid out a empty room with a single monitor in the corner. “This jail thang is really grating on mah nerves,” Fiddlesticks spoke with rising frustration as her steps echoed eerily in the large room.

“Good evening, Miss Fiddlesticks,” a voice spoke from the speakers which caused the Mare to jump in place.

“Otterman! Let me go!” Fiddlesticks cried out towards the monitor as it flickered to life to show the man sitting in his desk holding a bottle. His face showed signs of stress including dark circles under his eyes. If the half empty bottle in the Scientist's hands were anything to indicate something, he has been rough for a bit.

“Did you know I have worked for over ten years for such an assignment?” Otterman spoke softly, his focus fluttering sluggishly around on his monitors. His gaze noticed the surprised look on the Pony's face and could only wave his had at her earlier request. “You are my only remaining chip in this poker game and I have no more Aces. I misunderstood Dusk Breaker, Fiddlesticks,” Otterman mumbled as a klaxon echoed throughout the ship.

Fiddlesticks could only hear a muffled version of it but was still confused by all of it. Her focus returned the screen quickly as she noticed the Human tapping away on something. “What in Tartarus did 'ja do?” Fiddlesticks shouted as she noticed another screen light up on Otterman's desk.

“Greetings, Miss Yarko,” Otterman spoke nonchalantly as he took another swig from his bottle.

“What have you done, you Mad Man!” Yarko shouted in terror, tears streaking down her face. Her eyes shifted for a moment as she noticed another monitor in the background. “Fiddlesticks! I'm so sorry, Fiddlesticks!” the Woman plead, a hand on her screen as if to reach out and touch.

“Ah'm fine, Alex! What is going on with that annoying sound?” Fiddlesticks shouted back top overcome any of the interference.

“You activated it, didn't you?” Alexandra spoke to Otterman who was just absentmindedly staring at the wall.

“Oh? Huh?” Otterman stirred for a moment before looking back to his monitors. “Oh, yes, the Nuclear Warheads. I've activated both of them,” Otterman spoke with a slight smile as if achieving victory.

Alex narrowed her eyes as she tried to figure out his plan. “Why do you need two Nukes?” she asked already fearing the answer.

“I'm afraid I have paid a horrible price. Dusk Breaker has beaten me with a poker face I didn't know he could present,” Otterman spoke before laughing so much the bottle slipped from his hands. He coughed any sort of laughter away as the Klaxons finally died away to fill the room in a uneasy silence. “Dusk is already in Orbit,”

“No...,” Alex spoke in disbelief as she let her head fall into her hands. Small sobs could be heard from her as she refused to raise her head.

“Are y'all happy now?” Fiddlesticks spoke out with grim determination. “Ah warned ya that Dusk was coming to get me,”

“Oh, I'm afraid Dusk will never find you. Dusk's actions combined with your recent jail break, Miss Fiddlesticks, has caused me to play my last hand,” Otterman spoke out as he reclined back in his own chair.

“The second Nuke,” Alex muttered as the pieces started to come together in her mind. “You plan on blowing up the ship if Dusk comes near!”

“Game, Set and Match,” Otterman spoke out as he closed his eyes in a peaceful position.