• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 2,380 Views, 298 Comments

Strokes of Fate - Silbern



(Starcraft Crossover) Dusk Breaker harnesses the raw power and knowledge of the Zerg Swarm. His legend is not of how much can he destroy but of how he tries to keep the balance of the planet Equis.

  • ...
25
 298
 2,380

Chapter One: Injection Melody

Twilight stretched as the sun's warm rays shone through the single window in her old room. Where some foals would have paintings or other artistic appeals scattered on their walls, Twilight had grade papers and favoured tutorials depicting about different spells. The lavender Unicorn gave a huff as she could barely hear Rainbow Dash annoying her with the inessential “Egg head!”. Besides Daring Do, Twilight was convinced that the Element of Loyalty couldn't stand anything higher then a colouring book as far as word count was involved. It was thinking of Rainbow Dash that brought Twilight out of her small humour stupor and out of her room to confront her day.

As she made her way down the stairs, something she has grown very tired of after her little 'vacation' to the Crystal Empire, it occurred that she had yet to plan exactly how to get her eldest brother to come back to Ponyville with her. She hummed at each passing thought as she gave a percentage of possibility and then storing it in three separate mental files, Yes, Maybe and No. While she had a feeling that the possibility of him just picking up everything he had and moving was bizarre, it also meant she could help mend the obviously broken connection he had with his family. Twilight scoffed at the bowl of cereal that was in front of her as she continued to run numbers and outcomes.

“Honey, you have to raise the spoon to your mouth if you want to eat the cereal.” Nighlight instructed with a tone he had long since abandoned after Twilight grew out of being a small foal.

“...Carry the 1 and I get...” Twilight breathed as she tapped a hoof lightly on her mouth.

“Ok, this is your Mother's department.” Nightlight immediately gave up any attempt at communication and simply levitated his own cereal bowl towards the living room.

Twilight smiled and nodded her head as she compiled all her data and decided on the simple solution. A vacation! It was so simple that Twilight mentally scoffed herself at not thinking of it before. Dusk Breaker must simply be tired, considering that to her and that of her parents knowledge, the stallion has yet to go on any real vacation away from Canterlot. As much as Twilight thought of herself as more of an indoor pony who loves books and studying, she also loved the places she's been and seen. A wide smile stretched across her face as memories of her adventures along with her friends came to the forefront of her mind.

It was settled for Twilight then. She had to convince her Brother to visit Ponyville for a much needed vacation. No sweat.


Dusk sat beside the remains of his piano as he attempted to press down on a portion of the keys that remained. What should have been a well played soothing assault on his ears was instead a small clack. He pressed his hoof down again only to receive the same ugly clack sound. He grimaced as if he had just been wounded by a knife in his side. What was he to do? That question continued to circle in his mind even when he did manage to catch glimpses of sleep. During some periods of Luna's night he had let his tears fall upon the broken wood and chords.

A subtle knock came from the front door before a gasp was heard from where Dusk was siting. The Stallion was already moving as his unkempt mane let long strands easily streak down either side of his face. His silent curses never reaching the ear of the intruder as he was soon face to face with a worried Twilight Sparkle. He should have guessed, she was always the nosey one.

“Dusk, what in Celestia's name happened to your door?” she exclaimed as her magic pushed the door opened to find the dishevelled Dusk looking at her with an annoyed expression. The signs of little to no sleep were as easy to read as ever as she could even see the redness in his eyes. Had he been crying? “Dusk, are you ok?”

The Stallion breathed through his nostrils in slight frustration. “I'm fine, Twilight.” his reply was curt.

“But your door.”

“I misplaced my key and my roommate is gone for a couple of weeks on business. I simply bashed my way through.” He explanation came quickly and Twilight still noticed that instead of letting her in, he stood so his wider frame blocked the sliver of the opened door. “Is there something you needed Twilight?”

The mare was taken back as she searched for a word to confront her older brother. None of this seemed right. Where was the young stallion that played with her and Shining when they were smaller foals? Dusk used to smile so much more back then compared to this imposter before her. She had more resolve then ever now to get Dusk to come to Ponyville.

“I'm here to ask you to visit me in Ponyville starting today!”

“No.”

Twilight was still smiling until the sudden answer quickly snapped her out of the daze. “Why not?” Twilight asked as placed a hoof step forward to show both her mental and physical resolve in this conversation. “I'm simply offering you a vacation away from Canterlot even if it's only for one day!”

“I'm busy, Twilight. Go home.” Dusk said as he began to close his door with a slight push of his magic.

Twilight was now letting the small flicker of anger grow brighter as she pushed the door open with magical ease. She could even feel the futile attempt of Dusk pushing back with his own magic. It was no use however as Twilight gazed at the startled stallion through the open door. A brief smile was put on her face as she enveloped her older brother and lifted him off the floor.

“Put me down! Twilight!” Dusk ordered as his legs flailed in any hope to reach a flat surface.

“No Dusk Breaker. You're coming home with me to Ponyville. Flail all you want!” She informed as she held her head up high, a flailing stallion floating behind her as she moved towards their parents place.

“Wait Twilight!” Dusk began to plead as his eyes searched through the window to be awarded with a glimpse of his piano. “I have to get to work in a hour!” his voice easily went soft as he flailed harder.

“You have no job, Dusk. You were fired last Friday.” Twilight broke through his lie easily leaving the Stallion limp and speechless. Twilight didn't even need to turn around to know she had him pinned against the figurative wall. “Cadence told us after you left last night.”

“Bitch.” Dusk muttered under his breath.

“I also heard that you had no girlfriend to begin with. Very smooth, dusk.” Twilight informed as if placing the cherry on top. “You're coming with me so I can help unwedge what ever stick you have up your butt. I want the Dusk Breaker that I knew while growing up.”

Dusk just scoffed at her as he crossed his fore hoofs over his chest.

“Where is the Dusk Breaker that made jokes and laugh with Shining and I? Where did the Stallion go that bought me my first telescope and taught me how to find constellations?” Twilight asked as she brought up several examples from her memories. “Where did smiling Dusk Breaker go?”

“He grew up, Twilight.” He answered with irritation. “Something you apparently have yet to experience.”

“We'll see.”


It had already been three or so hours on the train and Dusk was regretting not making a dash for the nearest exit. If he was lucky maybe he could jump from the train and die upon impact with the ground. While he ignored his sister's rambling about her friends that she was adamant on him meeting, he hummed a light tune to keep his sanity whole. Every dull in her speech-like rambling was meet with a nod and possibly a grunt, depending on if he was humming or not.

“... you may even love working on Applejack's farm!” Twilight finished as she gave herself some time to actually breath in between details of all her friends. Ever since the train had begun it's initial motion she never stopped talking. Dusk was even surprised to see his parents had tossed him a saddlebag with a few going away supplies.

“Uh huh.” Dusk calmly feigned a reply as he continued to plot different ways to escape the train and his sister. One involved pissing off Princess Celestia enough to get him banished to the moon. He turned his head to see Twilight's beaming smile. Almost worth it.

“Oh!” Twilight exclaimed as her eyes went wide. “You haven't seen Spike in a while have you? He's grown quite a bit, three inches to be precise.” Twilight droned on as her seat partner gave her another uninterested head nod. “I can't believe in another four hours and thirty two minutes, you'll be vacationing in Ponyville!”

Dusk could only groan. Only four more hours? Oh joy...


Expand. Grow. Consume.

The Hive directive was crystal clear. The last order from the Queen of Blades was absolute in all it's severity. The only thing that this tendril of the Zerg fleet was missing however was an actual strong connection to the Queen. The feeling of being lost, separated and extremely vulnerable was now the main stay of the Over Lord. His being every so slightly descending into the unknown planet's atmosphere. It was the only viable option due to the minimal resources he had to draw on. The bulbous figure had considered continuing his space flight but when the lush planet eventually showed up he had opted to land.

It would start to consume required Bio-mass and soon gather not only a sizable army but another planet staging point for his Queen's use. If the Zerg could feel joy, it would have been then. This lonely flier however was not ready for the shock that was about to rip through space.

“Sarah.”

“You readin' all this?”

“You have your orders Mr. Findley. Carry. Them. Out”

“Tychus, what have you done?”

The Over Lord lost all control. It was as if he had just plugged himself into a high electricity circuit while standing in a puddle. All thought processing and focus was lost as the bulbous form was now plunging towards the planet. The carapace that had barely protected it during atmosphere entrance was now being peeled away. It took only a matter of seconds for both tendrils and charred flesh to be completely lost.

Then a miracle, depending on the viewer, happened.

The bulbous form crashed into a heavily forested area that surrounded a small lake. The crash happened directly into the body of water as steam and debris was showered amongst the small area. Although the Over Lord was fried beyond healing and now lost, there lived one specimen. A drone. The worker bee of the Zerg infrastructure.

This drone had one new directive that was bestowed upon it by the dying Over Lord.

Old Queen extinguished. Find new Hive Lord.


Dusk kept his unamused face as the confetti hit from the party cannon. The door from the train had just opened when it made a surprisingly graceful stop at their destination, the Ponyville Train Station. What didn't surprise him however was the “warm” welcome of confetti and a cheer of “Welcome Home!”. Multiple mares had gathered around the door and fell silent as they fixed their gaze at the unexpected traveller.

“Uh oh.” Pinkie said as the guilt towards her premature trigger hoof set in. “Sorry about that!”

The girls watched as bits of confetti fell off of Dusk's muzzle. His facial expression not turning for the better as he simply rolled his eyes and turned to head for the exit.

“Girls!” Twilight's voice boomed out as she moved off the train to embrace the group hug along with her friends. “I had no idea you would be welcoming me back!” the Librarian said with surprise.

“Well we thought it would be a nice gesture and the shop wasn't too terribly busy, Dear.” Rarity said with a flick of one of her curls. An action Dusk had seen one too many times. It was something he thought every city girl was well taught to attract attention, as if the vast amount of money didn't.

Pinkie Pie began to bounce in place. “We also heard that you were bringing a surprise home with you!” Pinkie informed as she started to poke her head through Twilight's saddle bags. “What is it?” Pinkie asked although it was muffled coming from inside the bag.

Twilight could only chuckle before pushing back the eager party Mare. “It's not a thing but a who, Pinkie.” Twilight replied only to get odd glances and over all confused looks. “I brought my brother home for his Vacation!”

“Well ain't that somethin'!” Applejack replied as she moved her head past Twilight to get a better look at the closing train doors expecting to see the white Unicorn and possibly Princess Cadence. “Is he still on the train, Twilight?”

“He's right there.” Twilight pointed at Dusk just as he pulled the last strand of confetti from his mane and magically flicked it at the group of mares.

The girls cringed until Twilight turned her attention back at them and leaned in so only they could hear. “He's had a rough go at life for the past month or so. I brought him back in the hopes that we could help him relax from the city.”

Dusk watched from a small distance as the group began to chatter away in quiet hushes. His eye brow arched in curiosity for only a few moments until he simply left. Down the small amount of steps and onto the dirt path to Ponyville. His excitement was mediocre at best.

“..and that's my plans. Girls!” Twilight said as she backed off from their group huddle, a confident smile on her face.

“I'll try my best, Twilight.” Fluttershy said with a small smile of reassurance. “He seems... nice?”

“Uh Twi?” Rainbow Dash said as she looked down the train station platform.

“Ok, starting tomorrow will be our group get together. Show him some of what Ponyville's sights and attractions!” Twilight said as she stomped her hoof down.

“Dusk is gone.” Rainbow stated flatly as she crossed her hoofs across her chest in annoyance.

“Bwaaah?” Twilight said as she turned her head to find the spot she last seen him in was now occupied by Equestrian oxygen.


Dusk already past the outer buildings as the random ponies gave the Stallion a look over before continuing with their tasks. He received some approving looks and some mildly uninterested ones but mostly he went undisturbed. No walking along with a large crowd of ponies to and from the store or work. In a way it was relieving in knowing that amount of space he had to himself. The edge of his lips began to arc skyward as the weight of being crowded and then ambushed by the Mares began to slip away. Dealing with his sister rant on about her friends was becoming suffocating and if he had to deal with another moment he'd have burst into flames.

The Unicorn gave out a breath of relief in knowing that he dodged such a situation. His random path however had lead him to the heart of Ponyville where a tall tree was spotted down the road and he was surrounded with shops and small restaurants. One thing caught his eye above all else however as he made his way through the small crowd of ponies that seemed to be heading towards a nearby bar. His stop however was a dimly lite shop that had only one display window but in that window was something that made him pause with envy. His mouth felt slack as his wide open eyes gazed over every detail. Before him was a polished black grand piano with brass edgings and a simple cushion bench seat. It was beautiful, breathtaking and as soon as his eyes ran over the price tag, he let an audible gasp leave his lips. It was so expensive that he'd have to rob every store and filly to afford it. Heck, he'd even have to steal from the owner of this shop to help afford it!

His gut sank as the multiple worries dawned on him. His loan that was now doubled to ten thousand bits and the thugs accompanying it. How was he going to afford it? His only real money maker had been the job that he lost last week and even then, he'd have to double his shifts. To an already full time job it seemed impossible. What began to worry him more however was the loan sharks that he had bartered through. Dusk planted his rump in front of the store as his mind went through several horrible outcomes.

“Is there a reason your moping in front of my store?” A feminine voice disturbed Dusk from his thoughts as he turned his head to see a Mare looking down on him from her step. Her coat was a soft yellow that seemed to easily absorb the flickering light of the candle from inside her shop. Her mane and tail that wasn't covered by her apparel, which has seemed to have seen better days, was deep ocean blue. The natural highlights did well to attract one's eye to the detail much like Dusk found himself doing. He even neglected the raggedy hat she wore upon her head and the bandana that was wrapped loosely around her neck, a combo that would have Canterlot ponies often turning their noses up in disgust.

“Ummm.”

“Ah'm a might sorry but I'm about to close sh-” the Mare said as she gave the Stallion that sat awkwardly outside her music shop a curious eye.

“I like pianos.” Wow. Smooth as silk there, Dum-Dum Pop.

“Ah~h ah see now.” The cream Mare said as she pointed a hoof towards the piano in the display window. “Eeyup, she's mah finest piece in the shop!” The Mare said with pride unbeknownst that the Stallion was eyeing up a cutie mark instead of the piano. “I haven't seen you 'round here before. Do you play the piano?”

Dusk felt an incredible embarrassment suddenly as a slight blush flushed to his cheeks. “Well, I suppose I dabble in the musical arts. I'm Dusk Breaker by the way, I'm visiting from Canterlot.” The Unicorn responded with a hint of hesitance at his reasoning upon being here in Ponyville.

“Well that'd explain it!” The Mare stomped her hoof before laughing. “Ya had the look of one of 'em city colts as soon as I saw you!”

Dusk just gave a half hearted chuckle as if he was suddenly conscious that he may actually stand out that much.

“The name is Fiddlesticks. This is my family shop 'The Sharp Note'. Want to take a closer look at the piano inside?” The Mare offered as she pushed the door open that already had the closed sign placed upon it.

“No, I couldn't. You're clearly closing up and I wouldn't want to take more of your time, Miss.” Dusk politely declined before he did anything else clumsy or foolish in front of the beautiful Mare. Prior experience taught him that 'Abort! Abort! Abort!' was always the best option when dealing with attractive Mares.

“Take any of my time?” The mare giggled at the notion. “Ah was heading to the pub for a drink anyway. Let's see if ya can play anything decent.” Fiddlesticks motioned towards the door as she held it open, a soft smile upon her face.

Dusk only let himself gulp once before walking inside the shop with his tail slightly in between his legs. Not one of his proudest moments to be sure. “I'm not that great Fiddlesticks. I only know a song or two.” Dusk immediately tried to downplay himself to make sure the Mare knew what she was asking of him.

“Less talkin' more playing, City Boy.” She said with a grin before siting on a nearby chair. The light of the lone flickering candle easily lighting up the front of the shop that the setting sun didn't already do.

Dusk had instantly felt like he was at home with the atmosphere inside of the shop, besides the Mare eying him up. He made his way to the piano as his magic field levitated the bench out slowly before siting on it. He knew the song that he planned to play as he gave himself one more breath to concentrate his magic upon the keyboard. The calm quiet of the shop easily filled his ears as the store door remained open so the small breeze could roll through the shop.

Then he began.

The song began softly as it remained among chorus. Each note, however faint, was also leaving a soft echo in the room. Dusk bobbed his head as he followed with each note until the small break. Then as if a bucking dam had given way, an on rush of notes began to fill the store with heart lifting emotion. Colours swam in his mind of grey and yellow dancing in a sea of lush green. It was a picture as if done by oil pants in constant movement. The couple danced away as if the troubles were a never approaching factor. They lived for the moment and never for the money. It was beautiful.

Dusk knew the end of the song was approaching as his surprising smile stayed planted firmly upon his face. Something that made his cheeks hurt until he felt something brush beside him slightly. His eyes shot open to find that Fiddlestick, now accompanied with a violin, was beside him.

“One more time from the top, you lead.” She said as her form went lax. Both violin and bow held steadily in waiting.

Dusk had no words until he found his magic enveloping the keyboard once again. This time however he was soon accompanied by the slow pacing of a beautiful violin. Dusk could only smile more as he knew that Fiddlesticks was following almost perfectly. Everything she was doing was made up on the spot and accompanied his style impeccably. Where he went slow she went faster, the entire song was then a race but both knew they would cross the finish line together. His mind swam with the oil picture of the couple dancing. His vision was different now as the violin had the yellow mare jump more lively to each note.

The ending almost came too soon as Dusk pressed down on the final note. His eyes opened to find two very embarrassing things. One was the crowd outside the shop that were watching with intent until they cheered and applauded. He then noticed something far more interesting as he gazed towards Fiddlesticks who gave him a warm, alluring smile back as she hid her blushing cheeks slightly.

“Dusk!” Twilight cried out in joy at the store's entrance. “We were looking everywhere for you!”

“Ah'm mighty sorry cousin.” Applejack said as she took her hat off and nodded towards Fiddlesticks.

“Not a worry, Cous'” The yellow mare replied as she placed her violin down on a nearby stand.

“He wasn't bothering you was he, Fiddlesticks?” Twilight asked with worry as she gazed back to the store owner with worry as well.

Dusk sat at the chair rolling his eyes, something Fiddlesticks couldn't help but giggle at. “I'm going back to the Library.” Dusk announced as he stood beside the piano. He shared a glance at Fiddlesticks for a moment before he turned to walk out of the store.

Fiddlesticks waited a moment until Dusk Breaker was out of ear shot. “He wasn't botherin' me none plus he's a cute one. Where'd y'all meet him anyway?”

The group of Mares scrunched up their noses except for Twilight who gagged slightly. “That would be my older brother, Fiddlesticks. He's visiting from Canterlot for a week or two.” Twilight explained.

“Come on Fiddles, you didn't seriously hit on 'im, did you?” AJ asked as she nodded her head suggestively.

Fiddlestick knew better then to lie to Applejack; it was practically a lost cause. No, she just sheepishly kicked an imaginary stone that was on the hardwood floor. “I didn't hit on 'im! We just played a song together, I swear!”

“That's good to hear considering he just got off the train an' all.” AJ said satisfied with the answer.

“He's still a cutie though.”

“Fiddlesticks!”


The lone Drone had far left the dead carcass of the Over Lord to sink to the bottom of the small lake. He had felt no sympathy or panic but instead just a need to fulfill his goal. He floated only a foot above the ground on blue fin like membranes that stuck from either side. His maw that held two pincers eagerly snapped together a few times when he felt a danger approach. His travels were danger free however as he finally hit the edge of the forest line. It witnessed the soft glow of a small group of buildings that seemed to belong to the human race. The Drone then began formulating a plan of ambush to establish the new Hive Lord.

It would be suicide to charge into the community expecting to just kidnap, too high profile and dangerous. No, the Drone opted for safety instead of risk. The creature made it's way back into the forest until it found a small burrow uninhabited. The drone chewed on the edges to make the hole slightly larger so it could sneak in. The last light of the sun disappearing but the Drone was not falling asleep. Plans were being made as it formulated a DNA injector found on his under belly. As brash as it was, all the Drone had to do was inject a large dose into the victim's bloodstream. It would take a few days to completely convert the victim but that was where the Drone came into the picture. It would be the lone defender to the new Hive Lord. He may not be a Hydralisk or even a Zergling but he would have to do.

The Drone waited patiently for the sun to rise and with it, the local populace.