• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 2,381 Views, 298 Comments

Strokes of Fate - Silbern



(Starcraft Crossover) Dusk Breaker harnesses the raw power and knowledge of the Zerg Swarm. His legend is not of how much can he destroy but of how he tries to keep the balance of the planet Equis.

  • ...
25
 298
 2,381

Chapter Nine: Home Sweet Home

Fiddlesticks rushed about her small kitchen as if the demons from Tartarus were nipping at her back hooves. Stacks of newly bought cook books were scattered about all opened to various places as a few pots began to boil over. To describe her state as being hectic would be kind to the poor Mare as she rushed again to the oven where the smell of a possibly burnt loaf of twelve grain bread laid. Swinging the appliance door open to see the risen dough baked perfectly to show a rather delicious looking light brown crust. Fiddlesticks could only jump on the spot with glee as she finally was given a blessing by Celestia herself.

The moment was quickly buried as a resounding knock came from the downstairs shop door. Fiddlesticks head shot up in panic as her eyes went wide. Oh no, no, no, no! It can't be seven yet! To Fiddlesticks shock however as her eyes shifted to the wall mounted clock, it was past seven. Horse Apples! Another knock resounded through the shop which made the Mare jump once more.

“Fiddlesticks?” a very familiar voice called out.

The poor girl began to place the loaf on a nearby cooling rack before running to the stairs. She soon discovered that her approximate number of guests had jumped to an astounding seven ponies. Her mouth went slack as she witnessed a sheepish looking Dusk Breaker within a group of four heavily armoured guards. The last two guest were none other then Twilight Sparkle and the Goddess Celestia. Ah should have made more salad.

“Greetings, Fiddlesticks. I must apologize upon this intrusion into your rather comforting shop,” Celestia bade as she nodded respectively to the shop owner. Fiddlesticks responded with a simple low bow to the royal figure. “I have been informed that both yourself and Dusk Breaker had a date for seven o'clock, correct?”

Fiddlesticks shifted her gaze from Celestia to Dusk and noticed immediately the way he averted her gaze. Removing her hat she looked back up to the Princess and nodded.

“In part of my investigation, I must ask. Do you know what Dusk Breaker has been doing as of late?” Celestia asked with her tone edging on an inquisitive pressure.

Fiddlesticks opened her mouth to speak until she heard a distinctive sound of metal clanking together. Her eyes followed Dusk who had shuffled slightly which made her gasp. He had large metal cuffs on each of his hooves. “Ah, Ah,” the Violinist mumbled before taking a step back in shock. So many things begun to swim through her mind that it almost hurt.

“Did Dusk ever talk about his new job or possibly why he has been so busy as of late?” Celestia asked again but using a much softer tone and a genuine smile. The Goddess watched as Fiddlesticks legs gave out and she landed on her rump. The mare slowly shook her head however which made Celestia only close her eyes and exhale slowly then. “I figured as much,”

“I'm afraid we have to take him away to Canterlot, Fiddlesticks. My deepest apologies go to you, my little pony,” Celestia explained before motioning her guards for the shop exit.

Dusk stood still as his saddened eyes focused solely on Fiddlesticks. Regret, guilt, longing, and remorse pooled out from him as the couple silently gazed at each other. It wasn't until a pull on his chain from one of the guards made him grind his teeth in anger. “Pull once more on the chain, fool, I dare you,” his threat immediately made the room dive a few degrees in temperature as Dusk's eyes shifted into slits, much like a snake eyeing it's prey before striking.

“You have a minute, Dusk Breaker, I advise making use of it,” Celestia granted as they watched their prisoner from the door way.

Dusk shuffled towards Fiddlesticks until he noticed that for every few inches he moved, she backed away. Dusk's form slouched along with a long sigh escaping his lips as his eyes pleaded to her. “I'm sorry, Fiddlesticks, I never wanted you to be a part of this until I was ready to tell you,” he tried to explain until she spoke.

“What 'ave ya done?” she asked without closing the distance between them at all.

Dusk sank to the floor as well before answering “It will take too long for me to explain everything now. For now all you need to know is that I'm being charged for multiple counts of murder on Diamond Dogs,” Dusk explained as he witnessed Fiddlesticks mouth hang open in utter shock. “They attacked one of my Drones though! I was simply retaliating against their attacks!” He spoke as if pleading to the very jury that was in charge of convicting him.

Fiddlesticks shook her head vigorously at the excuses. Drones? Attacks? What in Equestria is he talking about! Small beads of tears rolled down her cheeks as small sobs escaped her lips.

Twilight's heart wanted to give at the sight. She couldn't help but let a tear of her own glide down her cheek as a hoof raced up to brush it away. A sudden warmth developed around her as she opened her eyes to see soft feathers wrap around her like a welcoming blanket in a cold storm. Twilight's gaze lifted to see Celestia smile back at her in a way a mother would comfort her child.

“Please, Fiddlesticks!” Dusk begged to the mare of his heart. He watched as she slowly opened her eyes to look down on him from her uneasy position on the stairs. “Please don't give up on us. I've never dated a Mare like you before and I want to continue what we have,” Dusk tried his best to get his words to reach deep within her heart but soon found his own falter as Fiddlesticks turned away from him.

No! Don't leave me alone! “I'll promise anything for you!” Dusk pleaded as he felt another tug on his chain which he choose to ignore. Slowly his form was being tugged towards the door but Fiddlesticks still remained looking away from him. The emotional dagger began to twist within Dusk Breaker as he watched the one mare he honestly thought he could love with all his soul. Dusk refused to give in as he pulled against the constant tugging of the guards.

Celestia watched with a small amount of worry as Dusk began to show signs of struggle against his chains. She couldn't blame Dusk for trying to comfort the Mare he obviously had grown close too but Celestia couldn't allow it. She motioned for her guards to reel him in as they responded with a quick nod before pulling on the heavy chain. They watched as the Stallion slowly begun to slide towards them until he pulled back. Celestia observed as the guards pulled on the chains with all their might but Dusk refused to budge, in fact, Dusk began to walk towards Fiddlesticks.

Twilight viewed with shock as Dusk began to drag the four guards along with him. Each guard was heavy just by themselves but with all their heavy plate armour? She could hardly believe that Dusk had such strength within him. Even Big Macintosh would find the task difficult!

Fiddlesticks couldn't believe the thoughts that arced through her head. You failed again, Fiddlesticks. How many Stallions is this now? Her thoughts were poison but the tinge of pain was so familiar. It was almost like an old friend visiting again from such a long time of disappearance. Fiddlesticks form was slouched against the wall as her unfocused gaze just stared blankly at the stairs. The tears stung but everything just felt so familiar by now. Except for the warmth that begun to surround her body as her eyes focused to notice a shadow that had fallen over her.

Dusk couldn't feel his own tears that glided down his own face but he no longer cared. He sat beside the slouched, defeated mare but he didn't let her be alone. His fore hooves wrapped around Fiddlesticks and pulled her in tight. “Please, Fiddlesticks. I never want to be alone again,” Dusk spoke softly between sobs as he hugged her tightly to his core.

Fiddlesticks found the indulgence in his hooves to be irresistible. The warmth and care that radiated from his body was the stable in the storm that she desperately tried to find for years now. How can I pass this up? A smile graced her lips as she choked back a sob.

“I'm not perfect, Hun, but I'll never leave you alone at night,” Dusk promised as he felt a pair of hooves begun to graze under his fore legs. He smiled as Fiddlesticks begun to squeeze him tightly to her as her head nuzzled against his chest fur. “I'll tell you anything as long as you stay with me,” Dusk made one more promise before he felt another tug on the chain.

Celestia stood with a slight frown even though she had an idea floating within her conscious. Releasing a sigh she knew that this Fiddlesticks was now intertwined with a destiny that was much more grand then a simple music shop. “Miss Fiddlesticks,” Celestia enquired as she watched the two hugging ponies break their joining for a moment to look towards the Goddess. “I wanted to break you away from Dusk Breaker because his path in life is much different then yours. It seems now however that you two are more linked then I would have liked,” Celestia began to explain as a lavender hoof pressed against her.

Twilight nodded towards her teacher as they shared a smile. “We would like to invite you to stay in Canterlot until Dusk Breaker's situation is resolved, Fiddlesticks,” Twilight invited as she smiled at the couple. Celestia also smiled although slightly weaker then Twilight's.

Dusk gazed at the Princess with surprise as his mind raced. What's your motive behind this move on our chess table, Celestia? In the end however he simply smiled as he gazed down to the shocked pony who was still nuzzled up against Dusk's chest. He watched with amusement as her mouth closed and opened several times without an actual reply coming forth.

“Do not worry about your shop, I shall make sure all bills are paid and you are compensated for your extended leave,” Celestia offered once more as she also watched with amusement at the stumbling mare.

“Guess Ah should start packin',” Fiddlesticks mumbled as she got to her hooves and made her way upstairs leaving an eccentric Stallion waiting. She closed the door behind her as the darkened bedroom greeted her with an unusual quiet. What have ya got yerself into, girl? She thought as she pulled the lone suitcase from her closet and flung it to land on her bed. She threw in a few of her favourite bandanas and a few spare strings for her violin but other then that she didn't have much to pack. Heading into to the bathroom to grab her essentials she stopped at her dresser as her eyes hung on a single photo frame.

She wrapped her hooves around the frame and held it against her chest. “Ah miss ya,” she whispered as she placed the photo frame into her suitcase. The light of the setting sun glinted across the surface to show a beautiful Mare playing the violin with a very content smile displayed on her face. In the bottom right corner were the words,

Never believe that you can't,

Love, Mom


Shining Armour watched the exact same Sun from his bedroom window inside one of the towers of Canterlot Castle. His expression wasn't one of bliss or joy after a night with his loving wife who still laid sleeping peaceful on the dishevelled bed. This Stallion watched the Sun's rising as if watching the enemy cresting over the hill with their banner raised high as if to shake their enemy to their core. It was a notion he first thought was rather bizarre considering that his Goddess was of the Celestial Star that brightened every beings life.

From his vantage point he watched numerous caravans and inbound trains carrying multiple goods make their way within the city limits. He knew that more then a few of those transports carried the few key rulers left on this planet. Griffins from the Empire, Deer from the Cervidas Kingdom, Boar from Boardor, Camels, Zebra, Buffalo and multiple ponies ranging from countries like Germaneigh, Prance, Ib'Xian Empire and even a few Dukes from within Equestria. Shining stood breathless for a few moments as he was truly astonished at the power of Celestia. She simply had to beckon them and they came. Even the great Dragon lord Ragnof was rumoured to appear before the Grand Summoning. The very idea made the Stallion shutter before he felt a comforting hoof touch his sides.

“What troubles my Husband, hm?” The elegant Princess Cadence enquires as she leans some of her weight beside him. Her body heat soon melds with Shining as the Captain of the guard nuzzles into her side affectionately. “Ah – ah! No trying to shift the subject!” she warns.

Pulling away, Shining simply grins at his wife before looking back at the waking Equestrian land scape. “How much do you know about this approaching Grand Summons?” he asks with out shifting his gaze away from a train that was originally from Ponyville.

“Not much, I'm afraid,” Cadence answered quickly as she stared off towards the same train as her Husband was occupied with. “Celestia only informed myself of a threat to our very planet. Beyond that she was rather vague in her message,” she explained before letting out a rather loud yawn.

Shining only frowned in response to her rather limited explanation. The Captain suddenly turned to face his already set out uniform and with haste begun to don it. An act that immediately begun to fly red flags in his wife's fore thought.

“Where are you going?” She asked but the Stallion remained quite. “Shining Armour, what in Equestria is going on?” she bade for him again but still he decided to keep his eyes on the polished helm sitting on the armour stand. “Please, Shining, your starting to scare me,” she said as her hoof steps closed the distance between the two.

The stallion stopped for a moment before donning his helm. “I'm sorry, my beautiful wife, but this is not something I can discuss without Celestia's permission,” Shining explained with a frown as he gave the side of Cadence's face a small peck before placing the helm upon his head and making his way for the door. The room he left where one mare stood shocked at what could possibly be awaiting her.


The door opened from the dark prisoner train car where several well armed guards stood as a rampart was attached to the door. The bright sun shone through as the area was quiet before one chained hoof appeared from the darkened interior. Stepping out with only a small glint from the sunshine was but a simple pony, being rather tall, but still quite ordinary. The loading area was spaced quite far from the passenger cars but then again Dusk could only assume as much.

Celestia walked amongst her faithful guards as both Twilight and Fiddlesticks flanked both her sides. The three watched as Dusk was offloaded from the large steel prison car like simple cargo. Quickly he was unchained from the car and then re-chained onto several guards. Celestia observed all of it with little to no expression given while the two mares beside her watched with rather distaste.

Fiddlesticks could hardly believe that the Dusk Breaker she knew was being treated like a common thug. It was true that the entire train ride was one large conversation shared between the three mares about Dusk's doings but it still stung. She watched however as the Guards begun tugging on the prisoner's chain to make him advance.

“Oh, Celestia!” Dusk called as he easily resisted the constant tugging of one of the guards. “Isn't this little charade getting a little dull?” Dusk asked as he raised one chained hoof as far as he could to emphasize his point.

Celestia didn't even stir to acknowledge him. She simply motioned her guards to continue as they gave the chain another tug. An act that started a rather violent reaction.

“I tried to be civil about this, Celestia,” Dusk warned as his horn begun to give off a rather eerie purple aura. Several razors shot out as the guards watched each chain suddenly hung loose as the sturdy metal was cut like paper. It took only a second before the guards fully realized that the prisoner was loose before rushing in to secure him.

“Wait, Dusk!” Twilight called out until she had to dodge quickly to the right. The object she had to dodge was a single unconscious guard as his body connected with the large cargo boxes behind her. “We have to stop him, Celestia!” Twilight begged as she watched her teacher simply observe the fight.

Dusk dodged as one hoof jab tried to connect squarely with his jaw. The attacker was immediately remedied with a kinetic blast that had him collide with another of his cohorts. A wild grin soon established itself on Dusk as he sent a few other razors to break spears into two pieces. The guards soon begun to smarten up as they surrounded Dusk and upon command all charged in at once. An idea that was soon defeated as Dusk gave one final yell as a mass of kinetic was released in a form of a dome that emitted out at once to reflect any incoming projectiles, in this case, Guard Ponies.

Celestia caught each of the reflected guards within her magical grasp and begun to set them down nearby with subtle ease. Her gaze however never left the Prisoner who buffed out his chest with pride before approaching the Princess until two more spear points came to his throat. “Seriously? You guys are persistent,” Dusk rolled his eyes once more with annoyance.

“Gather medical aid for them,” Celestia ordered one of her guards as he saluted and ran off to finish his assigned task. “What do you hope to gain from that distasteful display, Dusk Breaker?” She asked with her tone easily displaying her displeasure.

“What?” Dusk asked looking to the pile of unconscious and groaning Ponies. “Would you prefer that I had them all killed? For a Pony such as myself that had saved all of Applejack's cow friends, you have odd ways of showing some appreciation,” Dusk nodded as he sat in front of Celestia before giving a wink in Fiddlesticks direction. An action that was only responded with an slightly agape mouth of shock from his previous actions.

“I've shown my appreciation by not condemning your species to death the moment I've witnessed such an act of defilement of life,” Celestia responded as she turned to witness a fresh group of armoured ponies that was lead by none other then Shining Armour himself. “Greetings, Captain. I trust all of the arrangements for the Grand Summons is in place?” Celestia smiles appreciating the distraction.

“Indeed, Princess. Everything you have in the detailed report is in place and further awaiting your orders,” Captain Shining Armour saluted before standing back in his original position of attention. His vision shifting for only a moment to take in his grinning brother. “I take it that your trip was pleasant, Princess?” Shining enquired even though he had a vague idea that it was something different entirely.

“Twas pleasant. Your brother, Dusk Breaker, is under arrest for multiple accounts of murder against the pack of Diamond Dogs. He is to be taken to the Dungeon immediately until further notice,” Celestia begun informing as Shining ordered a few of his guards to take Dusk away.

Dusk narrowed his eyes as his horn begun to light up once more.

“Dusk!” Fiddlesticks scolded him in a harsh tone. They all watched as Dusk's magic aura immediately dissipated and he turned to the mare with an exasperated expression. She stared at him for a moment longer until Dusk simply let out a groan of relinquish. Fiddlesticks smiled as she turned to the Princess with hopeful eyes “Perhaps we can all jus' walk to the Castle with no chains involved?”

Both Princess Celestia and Twilight stood motionless for a few moments until they shared a quick glance to the other. Spending years together have gathered a strong bond between teacher and student as Twilight simply nodded which Celestia then turned to Fiddlesticks. “If you surely believe you can keep a tight control over your coltfriend then we will continue to the castle without the use of shackles,” she decreed as a smile fell on Fiddlesticks face.

“Princess!” Shining Armour cut in as he scowled towards his brother who simply grinned back at him. “We cannot have something this dangerous walking amongst innocent ponies without some sort of reinsurance of his subdue,” he reinforced his idea but before he could speak more Celestia raised her hoof.

“We shall let Dusk walk unshackled,” the Princess reinforced her order as she waved a hoof in the direction of her Castle. “Shall we?”

Dusk trotted past Shining before swinging his flank around to bump into the Captain who barked back at him. The threat fell on deaf ears as Dusk simply called him pet names that the younger brother received back in his colt days.


No, no, no! Dusk groaned as he sat in one corner of his Prison cell. What did I tell you about being incognito about all of this?

My apologies, Hive Mind. I thought that the suggestion was rather fitting.

Carpet bombing Canterlot with Banelings is not anywhere near being incognito! Dusk reprimanded his Swarm mind. For the past several hours he had been quietly thinking of how to eliminate two threats. The first was the obvious Goddess of the day, Celestia, while the other was rather slippery. Mr. Fang.

I have one last suggestion, Hive Mind. I'm not partial to it but some past Cerebrates have developed a certain strain that has been dubbed 'Changeling'.

Dusk's ears twitched at the name as recent memories of the attacks upon Canterlot bubble up.

No, Hive Mind. Those creatures are inefficient and a dying breed in the Swarm's opinion. The Swarm have our own unique strain that follows the same principle but is usually born from an Overseer and even then they are a short lived life form.

Then why bring it up?

There may be a solution to those problems, Hive Mind. Due to our involvement in the Diamond Dogs Den, we have gathered a large amount of bio energy. We can pool this into a single Changeling born straight from a single Larvae but we only have enough Bio Energy to do this once and since the Princess has both land and air patrols around the hive we are restricted from gathering further energy. A point I must protest against, Hive Mind.

Dusk ignored the obvious protest. What do you need from me then?

If we grow this Changeling from a Larvae then the life span shall grow exponentially. The problem lies with exactly who your trying to impersonate. We need a sample of the targeted Pony DNA to impersonate.

Dusk hummed in thought as he thought about several Ponies who's political status and standings within Canterlot could benefit him. Faces of countless strangers flashed through his mind until a familiar odour wafted through the large iron bars of his cell. Dusk rushed to stand up before trotting to the edge of his cell to see the Dungeon Guard exhale a cloud of smoke from his cigarette.

I think I have the perfect Pony.


Celestia, Luna, Cadence and Twilight sat together as servants had just poured a fresh cup of tea for each. The discussion was rather light as each Mare gossiped about the smallest details until the inevitable happened. The Princess of the Crystal Kingdom simply asked about Dusk Breaker's vacation into Ponyville, a question that simply spawned a very detailed account of his ascent to power.

Cadence sat with disbelief at the accusations of her Brother-in-law, Dusk. The morning suddenly made much more sense when she was talking to Shining Armour. Am I honestly the last one to know of such grave news? Cadence thought as she turned to Twilight suddenly causing the Unicorn to jump slightly.

“Does Mom and Dad know?” Cadence asked only to get a rather disturbing quiet in response. Twilight bit her lip knowing full well how they would react to such news. “How are we going to break such a thing to them? They will be broken to hear that their very own Son is to be put to court in the Grand Summons!” Cadence raised her voice as her worry fused with anger.

“We are quite aware of the fact, Cadence,” Luna said with exact calm before taking another small sip from her cup.

“Now, now, Luna,” Celestia scoffed as she gently rested a hoof upon her Sister. “We should discuss this with them over dinner. A quiet and calm environment along with Ponies they trust should help them,” The Monarch spoke with a calm voice that offered reason which Twilight found very reassuring.

“What of Shining?” Cadence spoke with a much more composed expression as she levitated the tea cup towards her lips. “I thought he was to accompany us to discuss further proceedings,” The youngest Princess spoke before taking a slow sip of her steaming beverage.

“He told me that he was going to check on Dusk Breaker one more time before joining us,” Twilight spoke up.


Shining marched briskly towards the Dungeon quickly saluting passing military members with practised ease. Much of the staff still had no clue as to the high value Pony who dwelled beneath their very hooves. Shining knew and the very fact that everyone else remained blissfully ignorant was slightly irritating. He didn't let the feeling bother him for long as he used his mental training to suppress his emotions before saluting one of the Dungeon guards who just closed the door behind him.

Shining let his face enter a scowl as he remembered the rather intimidating helm that the Prison Wardens wore. A completely enclosed casing that only had a slit for them to see through. It often saved them from a hit on the head by a wild Prisoner but left their field of vision quite limited. It had it's purposes Shining magically swung the door open as the darkened stair case meet him.

Shining's decent was quiet as torch light flickered to meet the stranger. Reaching the bottom let the Pony usher out a breath of relief as he noticed Dusk's cell doors still securely closed and a pony still stationed at the nearby desk. Shining quietly ignored the Warden as he trotted up to Dusk's cell to see his Brother balled up in the darkened corner, a sight that made the Captain smile. “Regretting your decisions now?” Shining asked with inner amusement before waiting for the obvious jab of a rebuttal.

The Cell and motionless form remained quiet.

“Wake up, Dusk!” Shining shouted at his brother only to see the form sit still in response. The very thought of his older Brother acting like a little Colt made him almost grind his teeth. Irritation bubbled in his consciousness once more as he struck forth with a hoof against the metal bars.

The Cell door swung open with a gut wrenching screech that made Shining sick. His horn quickly lite the Cell only to find a wincing Warden stripped of his armour. Shining quickly turned to the Warden who sat at the desk before prodding him once with his hoof only to see the Guard slouch over and crash on the ground. Shining could only take in large breaths before dashing up the flight of stairs and running into one of the open spaces of the Castle Courtyard before igniting his horn and shooting a flare that soared high before exploding into a bright red.

Celestia dropped her tea cup as the delicate glassware shattered on the marble floor of the tea room. All the ponies watched Celestia for a moment in shock until they followed her gaze towards the window. The rush of hooves broke through the door as over a dozen guards made a protective circle around the Princesses. One of the Captains of the Royal guard gave Celestia a quick salute before reporting.

“Dusk Breaker has escaped, your Highness,”


Dusk ditched the last of the infuriatingly heavy armour pieces in a nearby bush as he made his way to the front gate. The two front guards gave him an observing gaze before letting him continue on his way. Dusk simply nodded his appreciation before trotting down one of the busiest Canterlot streets licking his lips.

I'm home, Honey.