• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 8,025 Views, 181 Comments

The Amazing Adventures of Captain Invincible! - shallow15



Twilight Sparkle discovers Spike's secret hobby: writing stories about the amazing Captain Invincible, and the characters bear a striking resemblance to ponies she knows.

  • ...
6
 181
 8,025

An Interlude

“Spike? Spike, is that you?”

Spike snorted and awoke at the sound of the voice. He let out a gigantic yawn and looked up to see Rarity standing over him, looking concerned.

“Spike, what on earth are you doing sleeping in the park? And so late!” she asked.

Spike blinked and looked around. He had fallen asleep under a tree in the Ponyville Park and the sun was setting.

“Oh, jeez,” he said, getting to his feet. “I didn't mean to sleep this late. I just wanted a quick nap.”

“Well, come on, I'll take you back to the library. I'm sure Twilight is worried sick about you.” Rarity blinked as she saw Spike's face fall. “Spike? Is everything all right?”

“Fine. Everything's fine,” Spike mumbled. Rarity frowned.

“Spike, if something's wrong, you can tell me. Did you and Twilight have a fight?”

Spike looked down at the ground and nodded.

“Oh, dear,” Rarity said. “Well... come with me. You're probably hungry, and I have some simply divine gems left over from my last order. It'd be a shame to let them go to waste.”

“Thanks, Rarity,” Spike said quietly. The two of them began walking back toward the center of Ponyville and Carousel Boutique. They were silent for a moment, then Spike broke the silence.

“She read my stories.”

Rarity looked over at Spike. “I'm sorry?”

Spike let out a sigh and told Rarity about the stories of Captain Invincible, how he hadn't wanted anyone to read them, how he had hidden the journal to make sure they'd be kept secret, and how Twilight had confessed to reading them behind his back.

“What gets me is she could have just asked me!” Spike finished. “She didn't have to sneak around.”

“I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt your feelings, Spike,” Rarity said. “True, she should have told you when she started reading your stories, but I seriously doubt she was trying to be deliberately snoopy or anything like that.”

“I know, but... if she did this, what's going to happen when I get older. I know she wants to look out for me, but some things should be kept private.” Spike looked up at Rarity. “Am I wrong to think that?”

Rarity stopped walking and turned to face Spike. “Not at all. Anypony would object to their privacy being invaded like that. But, she did tell you and apologize.”

“I know,” Spike muttered. Rarity caught the downhearted tone of voice and brought her head down closer to Spike.

“It's not just that she read the stories, is it?” she asked. “Spike, what's really bothering you?”

The dragon took a deep breath and let it out with a sigh. “It was supposed to be a surprise.”

“What sort of surprise?”

“When I started writing them, the stories were just for me. You know, something to act out the stupid fantasies in my head. But as I kept writing, something happened. Suddenly, I had a plot, and what looked like it would be a really good series. I wanted Twilight to read it. I started doing my best to tell stories she'd love.”

Rarity smiled as she put it together. “But you didn't want her reading them until they was finished.”

Spike nodded. “If she didn't like them, at least that meant the whole story would have been told.”

“And she told you what, exactly, when she admitted she'd been reading them?”

Spike looked away and muttered something Rarity couldn't make out. She quirked an eyebrow.

“I beg your pardon?” she asked. Spike looked back at her.

“She liked them. She said they were really good.”

“Then it sounds like the worst is over. All that remains is for you to let her know that you forgive her.” Rarity paused, a concerned expression crossing her face. “You DO forgive her, don't you, Spike?”

“Of course!” Spike said, astonished. “Why wouldn't I? Yeah, I was mad, but it's not like I hate her for it.”

“Then I'm not seeing the problem. You go home, Twilight will apologize again, you'll forgive her, and everything will be back to the way it was, yes?”

“It's not that,” Spike said. “It's just... the surprise is ruined now. She's already read everything I wrote.”

“Everything?” Rarity quirked an eyebrow.

“Everything,” Spike confirmed. Rarity looked at him for moment then smiled.

“What about the ending?”

Spike looked up. “What?”

*****

Spike opened the door to the library, letting himself in quietly. The tree was dark, the only light coming from the last rays of the sun as it set. He walked over to one of the lanterns, intending to light it when he heard a sigh come from behind him.

Spike turned to see Twilight asleep on her reading cushion, her head resting on her hooves. Spike smiled, and rather than lighting a full lantern, lit a candle. He walked over to Twilight and held the candle close. Twilight didn't respond, but Spike could see tear tracks drying in the fur under her eyes. He gave another sad smile, then went upstairs, grabbed a spare blanket, then brought it back down and covered Twilight with it. When that was done, he looked at his journal, still on the reading stand. He picked it up and thumbed through it, re-reading the end of the last story. He thought about everything that had happened that day. Twilight's words, Rarity's advice, and his own feelings on the matter. After a moment, he came to a decision.

He closed the book, picked up the candle, and took both to the lower room of the library. He placed the book on the table in the center of the room, found a quill and a bottle of ink, sat down on one of the stools, and began to write.

Author's Note:

Next: The thrilling conclusion to "The Amazing Adventures of Captain Invincible!"