• Published 1st Jan 2013
  • 2,695 Views, 56 Comments

The Darkness among the Stars - Haseo



For A thousand Years, the Kingdom of Equestria sustained in Peace & Harmony. The Ruler of this Kingdom defended their little Ponys from all Evil. But what happend before known History began? What is lurking in the Darkness among the Stars?

  • ...
1
 56
 2,695

Chapter 5 - Return to us

Chapter 5
Return to us

The rulers of Equestria were shocked at the terrible situation. Her one and only student in over 400 years was gone. For hundreds of years, she hadn’t shed a single tear until this day.

“How could I let this happen? It's my fault! I shouldn't have left her alone!” The once mighty and elegant Princess of the Sun fell to the ground in pain, winced like a little filly.

Her sister could only try to comfort her. “It isn't your fault. We couldn't know. You know Twilight far better than I, but I'm sure that she will return to you.”

The eyes of Princess Celestia lit up a little bit as Luna spoke her next promise.

“Twilight Sparkle is one of the strongest and most talented unicorns since Time and Space... She won't fail. She took the Element of Magic with her. I promise you, Twilight will return!”

Even the Princess of the night now had to sob as she mentioned the possibly strongest unicorn duo in the world’s history. Princess Celestia’s tears slowly dried on her alabaster cheek, but a sad frown still sat on her face.

“We told each other the same thing when both of them disappeared back then … They never returned.”

Now it was the turn of Princess Luna to cry. “But this is different, back then they fell in battle, they sacrificed themselves for us. We just couldn't believe what they did for ponykind.”
Both Princesses looked sadly in a different direction in the room. They made sure that their eyes didn't meet the other one.

“We can't track her, the spell book she used is completely destroyed. The best thing we can do is wait. Wait for her return.” The princesses slowly leaned towards each other, they waited for the arrival of the little lavender filly, at least in their eyes.


[/hr]

At the same time, in a place far from the archives, a sole unicorn wandered through a weird tunnel. The whole tunnel was made out of a substance that looked like clouds, but they didn't felt soft like the ground in Cloudsdale. It felt solid like earth.

The tunnel seemed to be illuminated from the outside. It was a beautiful mix of bright white morning light. When the sun began to rise, an overwhelming crimson light dominated. The whole tunnel was covered in a beautiful pale orange which seemed to go on forever. Step after step, the curious unicorn went forwards.

With every step, her amazement grew. Lightning bolts seemed to flash outside of her path, the bright light from them made the colours inside the tunnel even more impressive. But soon the end came. It was like a window to a different world. The world she had seen in her dreams so many times. She reached the gap in the clouds. Before Twilight laid her own world. The librarian stepped forward, but a barrier denied her entry.

As she rudely hit the barrier with her nose it began to wobble. She tried to penetrate it with her magic but it was in vain. Once more Twilight tried to break the barrier with her magic, she concentrated only on her magic, and noticed something strange. Something on her head began to glow like it was trying to guide her. She didn't realized that she had somehow taken it with her. Twilight’s eyes began to glow as she slowly levitated through the mysterious barrier.

It was her very own tiara.

The Element of Magic.


The next thing Twilight could remember was that she was standing at the exact same point were her dreams always started. She wanted to step forward, but before her hoof left the ground and a voice rang all over the forest.

“Why are you here?” The voice came from all sides at the same time, so Twilight didn’t know where the speaker was.

Still a little bit scared of what was awaiting her, she answered fearfully. “I'm here to fight my fear! I'm here to fight that monster off!”

Short silence rang out in the forest until it spoke once again. “May your desire come true.” As soon as this voice faded, Twilight felt the strange gaze again. She turned around and saw at the other side of the glade, the black being. It stood there, proud and tall, though it didn't move. The eager unicorn tried again to use magic. With the help of the Element of Magic, this time she was successful. Now she stood in front of her former predator. Both looking each other in the eyes. Nothing happened for a few moments until Twilight spoke to him.

“Why didn't you attack me? Is it because my Element -... .”

Before she even finished her sentence properly, the beast's head rose high in the air. He stood now on his rear legs and took a deep breath.

Once again fear could be seen in the unicorn’s eyes. “I didn't mean that you have to attack me right now.” She ducked away in fear and closed her eyes.

The monster began to spit black flames, but the flames spared her and nothing happened to Twilight.

“How is that possible?” She looked around herself. The grass around her was burned, only she remained unharmed.

“Good evening Miss Brave.”

Behind Twilight stood an older black unicorn stallion. He was even bigger than Big Mac and his dirty grey mane seemed like it hadn’t been cut in decades. Though he had very strong blue eyes. His body was covered in an old armour. It resembled the armour that Luna's personal guards were wearing when she came to Ponyville. But all insignias were destroyed. His cutie mark was covered under metal and leather. He was in terrible shape, even his left eye seemed to be hurt. He ignored her staring and began to speak.

“How did you get past the lock?”

Twilight immediately snapped out of her thoughts and answered the stallion who could easily be twice her age. “You mean this wobbly barrier? With this crown-thingy, I could get easily through. Though I don't really know why I'm wearing it right now.”

Now the stallion was curious. “This crown-thingy… I've never seen it before, but somehow it feels familiar.” Twilight looked briefly up and told him the proud origin of her tiara. “This is the Element of Magic.”

The eyes of the stallion grew bigger and bigger as he stared at her tiara. “I think I've seen you before. For a few days, a purple pony shaped shadow has been wandering through the forest and mountains. You were there as the basilisks were killed?”

Twilight couldn't believe what had she heard. “So were there, too? How did you escape the monster?”

The stallion was now even more surprised. “What monster? Do you mean the dragon?”

Twilight thought it was impossible not to notice it. “I mean the huge black one. That one the dream is all about.”

Again, the black stallion seemed not to understand what she was talking about. “Dream?” Realization hit him like a brick as he understood what the little filly was talking about. “Ahh! Of course, it is obviously just a dream. Maybe I've had just luck not to walk right into it. I think you should just wake up now, before it comes for you.”

His weird way of speaking this sentence made Twilight suspicious. “It vanished just before you came. You must have seen it.”

He became visibly uncomfortable. “Maybe it disappeared because you didn't run away, and you looked your fears in the eye.”

Twilight wasn't satisfied yet. “But I have one question, you don't really seem to be part of this world. Like you're some kind of foreign object to this world.” Suddenly the expression of the old unicorn became much more serious.

“Who are you?” Twilight slightly blushed as she noticed that she didn't introduce herself. “My name is Twilight Sparkle. I'm the personal student of Princess Celestia and one of the Elements of Harmony, more precisely, the wielder of the Element of Magic.”

The only healthy eye of the stallion began to twitch, but Twilight hadn’t realized it. “You should really leave this place now.” The old Unicorn turned around and walked away, but Twilight wouldn't let him go.

“I told you my name and now it's your turn.”

He stopped for a moment. “Call me, Soul Tearer.”

The young mare still couldn't let him walk away. “You’re not a product of my dreams. Right?” This time Soul didn't stop so Twilight went on. “I would never leave a friend behind.”

Shocked, Soul stopped in his tracks. As he turned his head, the small unicorn filly leaped in his direction and shouted at him. “I'm taking you back home!”

His eyes grew big as he understood what Twilight was going to do. “No, stop! You will die if you try it!”

Twilight smashed into the flank of the stallion and once again everything faded to black.


[/hr]

Twilight tried to open her heavy eyelids, and slowly she regained sight. What she saw surprised her.

Both Princesses cried and cuddled in front of her. She had to giggle instantly. “Oh sorry, I didn't meant to interrupt you.” Princess Celestia pulled the little unicorn straight into a bone-crushing hug.

“Oh Twilight! I'm so happy you are back!”

Twilight smiled at the Princess and at the same time she observed her surroundings. No old stallion was to be seen. She thought that it was really only a dream after all. “No need to worry Princess. I was only dreaming.”

Both Princesses looked at each other in amazement. “What do you mean dreaming?”

Once again Twilight had to laugh a little bit. I found a spell which I used to travel inside my dream, so that I could beat my nightmare. And I think it worked.”

The Princesses looked at each other, confused, but believed what they heard. “Nevertheless you will stay this night in Canterlot.”

Twilight looked behind the Princess and noticed that it was already evening. “I have slept the whole day in the library, no need to stay here. I feel great really.”

Princess Luna stepped forward and took the word. “And why did you take your element with you?”

Twilight had totally forgot about that fact. “I guess to be sure in case anything went wrong.”

Princess Celestia took a deep breath before she spoke to her student. “Listen, if you're sure everything is all right, then I believe you. As soon as you return the element to its place, you can come with us and enjoy the rest of your stay.”

The three of them walked to the chamber where the elements were stored. Twilight slowly put the tiara on its original place. Princess Celestia locked the magic door behind her and they walked off all together. Not a single pony had noticed the small crack in the gem of the tiara. A crack carved into it when it protected the little unicorn.

Protected her from something terribly strong...