• Published 1st Jan 2013
  • 2,695 Views, 56 Comments

The Darkness among the Stars - Haseo



For A thousand Years, the Kingdom of Equestria sustained in Peace & Harmony. The Ruler of this Kingdom defended their little Ponys from all Evil. But what happend before known History began? What is lurking in the Darkness among the Stars?

  • ...
1
 56
 2,695

Chapter 20 - Silent Spectator

Chapter 20
Silent Spectator

The girls slowly rose from their peaceful sleep, rubbing the last traces of their slumber out of their eyes. Accompanying the candles, the intruder lit the whole room. They got blinded from the light that came through the now open door. Twilight's view became clearer in a rapid rate. She recognized the source of the high-pitched voice as her sister-in-law, Princess Cadence. She jumped out of her bed right in front of her. “Sunshine, Sunshine! Ladybugs awake. Clap your hooves and do a little shake!”

They laughed and hugged each other while the others got out of their beds. Except Rainbow Dash, she just rolled out of her bed and pulled herself slowly over the floor until she reached the bathroom. Princess Cadence and Twilight beamed at each other like they haven't seen one another for centuries. “Twilight, it's so nice to see you! At the gala we didn’t get the chance to talk. How was your date with one of Shiny's guards going?”

Everypony looked now at Twilight, eager to learn what they had obviously missed at the gala. Twilight blushed and hid her face with one of her hooves. “I suppose the whole Nightmare Moon thing kind of prevented us from talking.”

Twilight wanted to keep the audience away from the other topic but Cadence wouldn't let her be like this. “Aaaannd?”

Twilight's blush got even heavier. “I… I just talked to Phalanx a little bit on the balcony. There is nothing... I think...”

Princess Cadence winked at Twilight. “I think you forgot with whom you're talking. I know very well when my favourite foalsitting filly has a crush on somepony.”

The Princess nudged Twilight weakly and began to laugh like everypony else. “That isn't funny, girls. Stop laughing!”

Twilight’s blush slowly decreased and she began to play with her mane. Princess Cadence put her hoof around Twilight and squeezed her gently. “From what I could see, I think that he likes you, too.”

Her face lit up immediately, like a huge bolder had fallen from her back. Princess Cadence’s eyes widened and a big grin formed on her lips. “Oh by Celestia! I was right! You really like him!”

The purple unicorn's coat colour changed to a light red around her nose. She pulled the blankets from her bed with help of her magic and wrapped herself into it. “This is so mean!”

The girls laughed together until Twilight finally let her silken shell down. From the other corner of the room Applejack watched them with a curious eye. “So what is the matter now? What is this ruckus all about? You said our 'attendance' is needed or something like this.”

Everypony stared at Applejack. The laughter silenced. It was quite a few seconds until Princess Cadence answered her. “Well, yes, the tournament Aunt Tia had announced. I managed to organize everything for today somehow. Everything is settled. The only things missing are you six. I will go to the Canterlot Colosseum. The servants prepared breakfast for you upstairs. Please come to the VIP-Lounge to attend the tournament along with Princess Celestia, Luna and me.”

Twilight got curious about the set up in the lounge. “What about my brother?”

Princess Cadence smiled at Twilight. “Oh, no pony told you? Shiny is going to compete as well! I know it is dangerous but he wanted at all costs to fight alongside with us against Soul.”

Applejack looked through her friends right into Princess Cadence eyes. Her gaze was unusually dark and filled with anger. Princess Cadence remembered how Applejack felt for Soul and understood the warning from the love-fooled mare. “I’d better go now, hehe.”

The girls looked at each other in confusion. They couldn't think of a reason for Cadence’s awkward exit. Pinkie Pie immediately broke the awkward silence and jumped up and down. “What are we waiting for? There is breakfast upstairs! I'd bet the Princess added even a few sweets.”

The pink mare quickly turned around and bounced out of the door. The others just followed her silently. When they walked up the spiral staircase, natural light lit their faces, always a little bit more with every step they took, until they reached the gate to a corridor that was filled with the light of the morning sun. Ahead of them was a huge wooden door with various carvings of ponies and other magical creatures. A guard stood at each side of the doors. They bowed in front of them and pointed them inwards with their hooves. While they passed the doors behind them, the sound of stones rubbing on each other rang. Rarity turned around and saw the gate they just had passed closing. It was engulfed by a golden magical aura. Without any words spoken, they entered the room while the doors behind them closed neatly and a quiet click. They were greeted by a huge table with dishes for six guests.

On the table was everything a pony could need for breakfast. Baskets with freshly made bread and pastries laid between plates with fresh vegetables and fruits. Various jars coloured in every imaginable hue filled with marmalade stood there. At the centre of the table was a delicious looking cake with a little note next to it. The note said: 'I remember too well how much Pinkie likes cakes in the morning.' The note was signed by Princess Celestia herself.

But Twilight’s attention was pointed at something different here. The room wasn't that big. Behind them was the door and in front of them was a massive stone wall with a fine crafted chimney. At each side were four windows. But next to every single one were two royal guards. They didn't wear their normal light and comfy armour that was more for show than for real fighting. Instead, they wore a heavy and massive looking armour that covered almost their whole body. It wasn't unusual for royal guards to be unicorns but only half of them were pegasi that wore remarkably lighter armour as the unicorns wielded monstrous versions of a halberd.

Everypony took a seat at their destined places. On top of the dishes were pictures of their cutie marks. The mood increased drastically as they began to laugh and joke around again. Twilight nevertheless always eyed the guards. They just looked stoic at the opposite wall of the room.

Applejack stared for a few minutes at her slice of bread. She hadn’t really eaten nor wanted to talk to her friends how she really felt. But this could be the last chance. War could already be at their doorstep. “Listen, Girls. Ah just wanted to apologize for my behaviour in the recent time.”

The girls looked worriedly at each other. Rarity stretched over from her seat to lay a hoof on Applejack's shoulder. “Na, na, darling. You don't have to apologize to us.”

The farmer took her hat from her head and pressed it against her chest. “But ah feel like Ah have to tell, like Ah have to explain what is bothering me. The first time Ah spoke to Soul was like talking to an old friend, no not like a friend, more like Ah was always with him. Ah would trust him in every possible way. If he woulda told meh to jump from the barn Ah think Ah would had done it. Ah don't know what you’re thinking about him, but Ah can't bear the thought that Ah’d have to hurt him or even worse. The moment we stood on Twi's balcony and the feel when Ah embraced him there without restraint, was one of the most beautiful moments in mah life. Ah thought that maybe he felt the same for me... When Ah saw him only a few minutes later holding Rainbow in his strange star prison, Ah didn't know that Ah should do. Ah was just torn between her and him. After he told us what Rainbow had said to him, what actually had caused that pursuit, Ah even threw him along with mahself on the ground and cuddled with him. Ah had wished that moment never had to end. But it had not only to end for the moment. It seemed like it had to end forever. And as much as we know at the moment, it was a farewell forever. Even if we see him again, he would be our enemy, and Ah just don't know what I should do now! You are mah friends that Ah worship so much but Ah feel such a strong connection between him and me. Ah can't be just mah element! It has to be more than this!”

Applejack's head fell to the table, tears escaping her green eyes and small sobs were audible. She felt how the weight on her shoulders increased more and more. Her eyes slowly wandered upwards to meet the eyes of her friends that had gathered around her with watery eyes. Fluttershy lifted Applejack's head with her hooves and looked at her with pure kindness and understanding in the eyes. “We know. We are thinking the same. Every single of us will do everything to bring him back. Back to you.”

Applejack's frown turned into a small smile of relief. Pinkie pulled all of them in a tight group hug where Applejack's tears of sadness dried and new tears of joy rolled down her cheek. All of them were crying now. Even the usual so stoic and emotionless seeming guards had tears in their eyes.

The farmer struggled a little bit to free from the hug and looked down on them. “Thank you girls, thank you so much. Ah couldn't ask for better friends in the whole wide world.”

Their close embrace broke as the wooden doors behind them slowly opened by magic. A small light brown unicorn mare accompanied by two heavily armed guards entered the room. Her mane was tied together to a short ponytail and she wore small red reading glasses. She looked exactly like you would imagine a secretary. She smiled at the girls and waved them to the door. “Good morning Ladies, My name is Dusty Quill, I hope you enjoyed the breakfast. The Princess has assigned me to bring you to the Colosseum of Canterlot now.”

The girls gave Applejack another quick squeeze before they finally released her. Pinkie grabbed Applejack's hoof and pulled her quickly upwards. They walked slowly to the door while the guards stationed inside the room followed them immediately. Twilight looked for a brief moment back to see how a formation started behind them. When she looked forward again she saw that these weren't the only guards. The whole corridor was filled with other guards now. They had never seen so many guards at a single gateway. Dusty Quill noticed that Twilight observed the guards and looked slightly worried. “The Princess just wanted to guarantee your safety arriving at the Colosseum. There is no need to worry. Nothing can enter or leave the castle to harm you.”

Fluttershy let out a huge sigh of relief, but Twilight didn't buy it. She knew that something was wrong, that the Princesses are obviously up to something. Not even at her brother's and the niece of the Princess’s wedding were so many guards present. Also, the guards who where actually there weren't so highly armed.

In front of the wall where they had came through on the way out of the vault, they did a sharp right turn. Feet by feet, more guards joined them. They were completely surrounded by them. Not a single enemy would be able to get near them. At the end of the corridor, even more guards and a pure white chariot awaited them. The chariot was decorated with both, the insignia of the Sun and the insignia of the Moon. Four strong pegasi stallions were supposed to pull the chariot up in the air.
They mounted the chariot carefully and Dusty Quill gave the sign to take off.

Inside the chariot sat beside the six girls two more guards and Dusty Quill herself. The inside was made of deep-red plushy fabric. They felt how the chariot accelerated and slowly lost contact to the ground. When Twilight let a casual gaze pointing out of the window, she noticed that they were surrounded by countless pegasi guards. They flew around the chariot in a formation that reminded her of an giant ball. Rarity noticed this as well. “Wouldn't it be safer if we travelled on the ground? So we couldn't possibly crash.”

Twilight knew how bad minded that sounded. She could only offer a small smile that showed more discomfort in this moment than it should have done. “It doesn't really matter. In the air we're safer against these Layfeeder things. Against Nightmare Moon or Radiant Flare we would have trouble on land and in the air.”

Twilight looked for a second at Applejack. The farmer already knew what Twilight was up to and
continued her sentence. “And if we had to fight Soul here. It doesn't matter where we are, he could kill is within mere seconds.”

Rarity had to gulp at the fact that they could encounter somepony that strong so high in the air. But the clouds passed peacefully. No blades came to meet somepony's flesh. It wasn't a long flight over to the huge Canterlot Colosseum. The chariot took a wide curve around the Colosseum to slow down and land gently on the ground next to a side entrance. They were more than happy to be on solid ground again. They really didn't want to know how it would be if you fell of the sky.

They thanked the pegasi who had brought them to the playground and entered the Colosseum. A few guards which were guarding them in the sky followed them inside, still observing every movement in the surroundings. After the small corridor that lead them from the side entrance inwards followed a much larger one. This one was fancily decorated with pink silken fabric, roses, and shiners. Even with streamers and balloons hung on the walls. It was clearly the hoofwriting of Princess Cadence. She really mastered to set up such an big event in nearly no time.

Dusty Quill leaded them through the complex corridors of the Colosseum until they reached another fine crafted door. Pictured were a unicorn stallion in some sort of solar armour pointing a spear upwards while on the other was a pegasus mare in a lunar armour wielded some sort of hoof weapon. It looked like knifes were attached to her hooves and a part of her wings. The guards that were protecting the door pushed it gently open to let them pass. Dusty Quill pointed inwards. Dusty herself turned around and left them. “I hope you will enjoy the festivities.”

Twilight waved her goodbye and approached the gate. She already figured out who must be hiding behind them. She wanted to talk to her mentor at all costs. Rarity shoot past her and tossed her by accident to the ground. She was so eager to see some nobles in the VIP-Lounge. Her eyes glimmered with joy but faded as fast as it came. Rarity only stood there and didn't move, she didn't expect so see what scene occurred in front of her.

Twilight raised to her hooves with help from Fluttershy and followed the rough mare. She never saw them like this before. She didn't knew if she should be really scared now or not. The others followed them inside the room, their jaws dropping to the ground as they saw the three Princesses standing at the railing together with Shining Armor and Phalanx.

Princess Cadence wore a shiny pink and golden armour, its plates sparkling in the sunlight. The armour looked like it was just recently crafted and polished. Princess Celestia wore a shining golden armour. Many little scratches and fissures told them that this armour had seen more than just one battle. Judging from the recent war history, it must be the armour that she had worn over a thousand years ago when she had seen Soul the last time. Princess Luna wore the dark equivalent of Princess Celestia's armour. It was made of a dark blue metal. It looked much like cobalt. Some leathery parts could be seen under the heavy plates, the armour no tfitting fit Luna so well. She looked like somepony had stuck her inside the bigger clothes of her older sister. All three of them turned around and greeted them, but Twilight could hear unease in Princess Celestia's voice. “Princess, is everything all right?”

The Princess of the sun hesitated for a moment. She didn't think that her nightly talk with Discord would leave such obvious traces. “No need to worry, my faithful student. We just had much to organize in this short amount of time.”

Before Twilight could ask more questions, her brother ran to her and pulled her immediately in a hug. “Twily! Cadence told me that she already told you that I will compete as well!”

Twilight returned the hug and slowly put the hooves of her brother down. “As well? Who else is will be competing?”

Behind Shining Armor, his pegasus subordinate stepped into the limelight. “I'm happy to see you Twilight. I will compete along with your brother and my Captain.”

Twilight blushed a little bit when Phalanx spoke to her. She couldn't bring out a single word. Princess Cadence observed the situation and tried to help her. “I'm sure she is happy as well, but I think it is time to go down. Princess Luna wants to announce the participants.”

Shining Armor and Phalanx nodded to Princess Cadence and made their way down to the actual battlefield. When Phalanx passed Twilight, he whispered something into her ear. “I compete only because of you, I will fight alongside you and protect you with my life.”

Phalanx had already passed Twilight as she tore him back and pulled him into a tight hug. “Please don't do something stupid! Understand?”

Phalanx struggled free from her embrace and didn't dare to look at Twilight. He turned around again and followed his Captain. The Princesses and her friends had to grin at this scene.
Princess Celestia used the spare time before Shining and Phalanx arrived in the arena to tell them something about the Colosseum. “Before Shining Armor and Phalanx arrive downstairs, I want to tell you something about this Colosseum. It was build eight-hundred years ago to serve the Royal Guard as trainings site and battle arena. Sometimes were tournaments organized to find new recruits for the army, similar to today. You already noticed the whole building is build in the same style as Canterlot Castle.”

Pinkie Pie jumped up and down, making random noises to get attention. The Princess smiled at the hyper mare and allowed her to speak. “Uhh, Princess? And why is there a giiiaaaannt bell?”

The eyes of the Princess narrowed as she turned to the giant bell that hung inside the only tower that was attached to the Colosseum walls. “This is the Cloister Bell. It hung originally inside our old castle in the Everfree Forest. Every time something terrible was about to happen the bell began to ring. The bell remained silent for the last thousand years. The last time it rang was when Soul and Star faced each other.”

An awkward silence turned in. Nopony knew what to say in such a situation. Gladly, Shining Armor and the others entered the arena. Princess Luna cleared her throat and shouted outside with her Royal Canterlot Voice. “Welcome fellow subjects to the tournament that will lead Equestria into a different future! A better, a more peaceful future were no threat can harm us! I would like to say welcome to the representatives of Saddle Arabia and Griffhala. I want to introduce you today’s participants. For Equestria are competing: Our Prince and Captain of the Royal Guards! Prince Shining Armor! Our second fighter will be his humble subordinate! The strong and brave Phalanx!”

The crowed began to cheer fanatically. “For Saddle Arabia: The strong and mysterious Nazir and his twin brother, the shadow walker; Asad! For Griffhala: The Guardians of the crown and defenders of freedom, Odin the Slaughterer and Thor the Furious!”

While Luna announced the participants, cold sweat dripped from Twilight's forehead. She stumbled backwards and fell on her plot. The ponies turned around to see what was wrong with Twilight. She stared at them with fear and uncertainty in her eyes. “I can fell this weird aura again. Like he is staring at me.”

The ponies looked at each other in confusion. Princess Celestia approached her student to give her some comfort. Twilight still shivered. “I think Soul is watching us. He is somewhere inside this arena.”