• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 6,077 Views, 179 Comments

If the Flight Suit Fits - TheLastBrunnenG



A Spitfire and Dash romance, about as smooth as a head-on collision at terminal velocity.

  • ...
17
 179
 6,077

Shattered

“As for the correctives, one last note. Rapidfire, you were still a meter low on the knife edge pass. No sweat today,” shrugged Soarin from his usual seat in the Wonderbolts’ lounge, “but next month in Hoofington a meter low’ll put you through the wall of the concession stand. Clear?”

A nod from the chastised pegasus later, Soarin cleared his throat and stood up. “Okay, good show, everypony! Before we put a wrap on the debrief, one final note. I don’t have to say it, but I will - Rainbow Dash, you flew like a bat outta Tartarus today! No idea how you pulled that off, but I know I speak for all of us - ” He paused, his squint-eyed glare boring holes in a scowling Misty, “I speak for all of us when I say, congratulations! The solo speed record will never be the same.” After the thunder of stomping hooves died, he added, “Any questions?”

Dash’s grin fell away and her ear twitched visibly. “Yeah, where’s Spitfire? She’s had the performance review in hoof for two hours now. Why isn’t she debriefing us?”

Soarin’s smile drew tight and thin-lipped. “Okay, everypony, that’s it for today. Dismissed!” Threading his way through the departing crowd to the newest and youngest Wonderbolt, he leaned in close and said, “Listen, Dash just - just forget it, okay? She’s on the warpath right now and you’re the last pony she wants to see.”

“You gotta be kidding me, Soar!” Rainbow threw her hooves up and rolled her magenta eyes. “We take home a stack of awards, blow the Coliseum attendance figures completely off the charts, and I’m sitting here holding a plaque that certifies me as Equestria’s fastest flyer. Anywhere. Ever! And you’re telling me she can’t even pop her head in to say ‘Hey, good job, guys!’ or maybe ‘You all rocked!’ or even freakin’ ‘Thanks!’?”

The stallion held a hoof to his temple and closed his eyes. “It’s kind of personal, Dash. At least, I think so. When she stormed off the observation deck after the show, she was more concerned about slamming as many doors as possible as loudly as she could than about giving explanations.” Looking up, he sighed, “And if you’re wondering, yeah - you’re the reason she’s not here right now.”

“Buck this, Soarin. She wants to stalk off and stew on something, fine. But Spits doesn’t get to shrug off the team and her duties just ‘cause she’s pissed about something, or even about me. And she doesn’t get to pretend I don’t exist. Not today.” Rainbow shot out of her chair and rounded the corner as Soarin reached a hoof to stop her but found only empty space.

“Dash, back down,” he called down the hall toward the disappearing rainbow-striped tail, “give her time, she’ll … oh, horseapples.”

Locked. Spitfire’s office door was open to the team any time of day, and to Rainbow Dash any time of day or night, and it was locked. Dash rattled the handle furiously as she said, “Come on, Spits, open up. It’s me. I know you’re in there.” Rapping on the door hard enough to jostle its tarnished gold ‘Captain’ nameplate, she continued, “You got a problem, fine. But you’ve gotta talk to me. You want me to camp out here in the hallway all night? I can totally do it! I’m a champion napper, not just Equestria’s fastest …”

As the words left her mouth, something heavy smashed against the door, sending her jumping back a few involuntary paces. The sound of splinters and metal clattering to the floor echoed through the deserted hallway. The blue mare dropped into a fighting stance, wheeled around, and delivered a thunderous buck to the door with both back hooves. It swung open crazily, creaking and dented.

There, opposite her across a plain and aged metal desk, Spitfire sat motionless. Her hooves lay clasped on the desk, muscles taut and legs shaking. Her muzzle was contorted into a snarl but her eyes were hidden behind mirrored sunglasses. Dash strode to the desk and put her front hooves on it, inches from Spitfire’s own.

“What the hay is going on, Spits? First you bail from the observation deck before the show’s even over, then you skip the debrief, which you’ve never once missed since you brought me aboard, and now you give me the silent treatment and lock me out?” Dash was panting, teeth bared, and dropped the plaque to the desk. “I brought us a freakin’ record today, Spits! And you won’t even give me the time of day?”

Spitfire turned slowly, almost imperceptibly, to face the plaque. Dash raised an eyebrow and asked, “What, this? This is what’s got you in a knot? Think I’m just gunning for attention? Maybe you think I’m still trying to prove myself, so all those turkeys in the lounge will see that I really am good enough, and that I’m not just here because I’m your pet?”

Dash waited for a response as long seconds passed in silence. Slicing through the still air with a deft wing, she slapped the sunglasses off the yellow mare, letting them bounce and skid across the floor. Spitfire’s eyes never left the plaque on her desk, stamped with a stylized pegasus in flight and the words ‘Rainbow Dash, Cloudsdale Coliseum, 1006 A.E., World Record for Solo Single-Pass Transit: 699.5 certified speed’. “What, you want me to go slower? No more world records, no more trophies? Want me to play average and dumb? If I honestly believed that,” she spat, “I’d leave you and the ‘Bolts right now and go herd squirrels down on the ground.”

Spitfire remained frozen, stock-still except for a quiver under one eye. The blue mare leaned down and glared at her, muzzles inches apart. “Oh, no. You don’t get to play the stern-and-silent card with me, Spitfire. You and I have made each other cry like fillies and scream like banshees for almost a year now. Spill it, Spits!” Rainbow’s voice dropped to a desperate hiss as her ears drooped a little, “Give me something, here, please.”

Spitfire stood, walked around the desk with slow and deliberate steps, and retrieved a metal plate from the pile of debris resting against the door. Returning to her chair, she dropped the shard on top of the plaque and lay her head on the desk, running her hooves through her blaze-orange mane. Dash looked down and read, ‘Spitfire, Trottingham Arena, 997 A.E., World Record for Solo Single-Pass Transit: 679.5 certified speed’.

From under her hooves Spitfire muttered, “I trained for two years to make that attempt, Dash. I even had a tailwind! And you not only broke it, you demolished it like it was nothing. You’re better than I was at your age, and a damn sight better than I am now." She swallowed hard and whispered, "I don’t deserve to be mad at you. I don’t deserve …”

Minutes passed in silence before a blue wing fell over her. “Spits… I’ve never flown Trottingham Arena. I knew about the record, but I heard it was a headwind. Must be more to it than that. Maybe … maybe you could tell me the story?”

Author's Note:

TMP Prompt # 241. The Prompt: Pony A is seething with anger. Pony B tries to get Pony A to tell them what’s wrong.

Date references are "After Exile" meaning the years since Celestia exiled Luna/Nightmare Moon. Also a shout-out to a certain movie.