• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 7,317 Views, 174 Comments

Modern Warmare - Beatleboy62



Task Force 141 gets transported to Equestria, with a new war here, will they ever get home?

  • ...
8
 174
 7,317

Safety Set To 'ON'

Chapter 3

Safety Set To 'ON'

As they walked through town, all eyes were on the two humans. No pony had ever seen such strange creatures before, let alone walking down the main street of their town. Silence loomed as all ponies stopped dead in their tracks to let the six mares and two humans through.

"It feels like everyone is watching us." Nikolai said to Soap.

"That's because they are."

Nikolai tried to give a calm face to the crowd, but could only muster a nervous grin, only adding to the tension in the town. Once on the edge of town, Soap reached behind his back and handed Nikolai his Ranger shotgun, "Watch your back, we don't know what's out there."

Twilight silently listened, hearing his comment, worried at how aggressive he sounded.

"It's really just bunnies and squirrels, nothing to be worried about," She reassured, trying to get him off edge, "you'll be fine."

Soap made sure to flick on the safety of his pistol. "For all our sakes I hope you're right."

Price and the rest of the group had arrived back at the crashed Osprey. They were all wet and freezing as none of them had prepared for the cold, and unlike Soap and Nikolai they had been in the below freezing weather for about two hours now.

"Nothing's here sir, it looks like they found them and took them out, somehow without breaking the windshield," Ghost said, holding the perfect pane of glass, "The marks in the snow look like they dragged him, and I don't think he would have went in the direction of the hoof marks by his own will."

"Well then, you know where we're going then." Price said, "We don't leave anyone behind."

Soap, Nikolai, and the ponies had been walking for about a half hour now. The snow was getting harder to walk through as it turned to slush in the late morning sun.

"So when we find your friends, what do you plan on doing?" Twilight asked Soap.

"Well, I'll tell them that you all mean no harm, as if they ran off in the way you described, they're going to be acting very cautious. We haven't exactly seen many friendly faces lately. But whatever happens, I'll need you to stand back when we get to them. Three of the four are sane, but the fourth is unpredictable."

Inside he thought, 'Please Price, don't do anything stupid.'

About 10 minutes later, they were a mile into the Everfree Forest. The girls were quiet as Soap and Nikolai scanned their surroundings for any trace of their team. Seeing as they were about 50 feet in front of the ponies, Nikolai began whispering to Soap.

"So, if we do happen to find them, what do you plan on doing?"

"Well, while I'm unable to say I trust them one hundred percent, I can say that they're one of the more trustworthy faces we've met recently. If things do happen to go south I think that if we could take on Shepard and most of Shadow Company, we could take on a few horses."

"Ok then, say we do happen to find Price and the others and make peace with the horses. Got any clue what to do after that? There are still a lot of questions we're just avoiding about how we got here."

"That's just a bridge we'll cross when we get to it. For now, we can just stick to finding the others."

After a few more minutes of walking, Soap stopped, seeing something in the distance.

"Price? Price!" Soap yelled, waiting for a reply.

"Soap, thank god!" Price yelled, running up.

Soap turned to Nikolai, "Go back and tell the ponies to stop until I give my signal. I want to explain our situation to Price first."

Nikolai nodded and ran back, as Soap walked forward.

"You have no clue how good it is to see ya lad." Price said, "When you and Nikolai were unconscious, we thought some strange horse things captured you."

"Well, about that…" Soap replied, turning around and whistling loudly. Price stood dumbstruck as Nikolai walked up next to the ponies.

"Whatever you thought about them, you're most likely wrong. You see this bandage on my head? They applied it. They were helping us." Price didn't reply, as he was trying to take in what he had been told. "I can vouch for them, and on the off chance things go south," he said, whispering, "I'm pretty sure the remnants of Task Force 141 could take out a few colorful horses."

Price sighed, than nodded. "Well, I guess we have no other options right now. Fine, but I'm keeping a wary eye."

Soap gave a slight smile, "Good, I'll tell them."

After walking back to the ponies, Soap talked to Twilight, "They've agreed to come with us, but they're still suspicious. Try not to do anything too sudden." He looked at Pinkie Pie, who was excited at the prospect at making new friends. "Especially you Pinkie."

As they walked back to town, each group of friends kept to themselves, talking mostly about the new faces they had all met.

On the equine side…

"Why do you think that one human was wearing a mask?" Rarity asked, "I think it even had a skull on it!"

"What about the one with all the strange markings on his arms?" Applejack asked about Yuri's tattoos, "Do they have Cutie Marks too?"

Twilight was mostly concerned with Price, "He looked like the oldest, and I think he was the leader of their group. Was he the one Soap was referring to as 'unpredictable'?" Twilight sighed and continued, "I just hope Celestia gets my message soon."

And on the human side…

"Wait, so you're telling me these things have villages?" Ghost asked Soap while everyone listened.

"Yeah, with buildings specializing in certain trades and services, just like one of our towns back home. The similarity is striking."

"Well, what should we do when we get there sir?" Ghost asked, this time to Price.

"Nothing too rash," Price said, "We'll play our hand as we go along. If anything happens, keep alert and have your weapon ready at your side."

"Well, about that…" Soap interrupted. "One of them, the purple one, Twilight, I think she knew that my rifle was a weapon. She was even a bit hesitant to let me bring it along. If we stay here any amount of time I think that they'll-"

"Hey hey hey!" Yuri cut in, "Does anyone know how we even got here to begin with?" He looked around, but everyone shook their heads. "One minute we're in the Osprey over a desert, then we're in this bright light and suddenly transported over a snowy forest in a land where ponies rule. If I missed something I would enjoy being clued in."

"That's the thing, none of us know. I think for now we should just let a sleeping dog lie, and when we stabilize ourselves here, then and only then we'll worry about how to get back."

Everyone nodded in agreement to which Soap replied, "Good."

As they walked through town again, all eyes were still on the humans, who could do nothing but walk. They all kept their heads down trying to avoid eye contact, save for Price who was eyeing every pony he saw, sending some back to their houses in fear of this new creature.

Once safely back inside the library, a new silence landed on the group as they strained to figure out what to do now.

"Well…I guess we should introduce the rest of our group." Soap said, motioning for Yuri to begin talking.

"Yuri, friend of Nikolai."

"Gary, Gary Sanderson. Most people call me 'Roach.'"

"Captain John Price." Price bluntly said.

Ghost didn't say a word, staying silent.

"Hey, Ghost?" Soap said, "Excuse my friend here, he isn't exactly the most talkative guy out there. This is Ghost, and no, he doesn't take the mask off."

A bit unsure at the somewhat cold greeting, the ponies also replied.

After seeing Roach wince in pain, Soap motioned to him, "Fluttershy, it would be great if you could help Roach, his leg appears to be broken." Fluttershy nodded quietly and began bandaging Roach's leg, wrapping it around the makeshift splint Ghost and Yuri had made in the forest.

As the everlasting silence returned for what seemed to be the hundredth time, Spike walked in with a scroll.

"Twilight, Princess Celestia just sent back a message about-WOAH! Who are these guys?"

"Bloody hell!" Soap returned, "Is that a dragon?"

"I'll tell you later Spike, what does the letter say?"

"Um," He fumbled with the ribbon on the scroll. "She talked about bringing your new guests to Canterlot Castle, and that a few Pegasus Guards should be here soon to bring you all there."

"Anything else?" Twilight asked.

"No," Spike said, "It looks like she had it written in a hurry too. Something important must be happening in Canterlot right now."

A thud of hoofs hitting the ground sounded from just outside the library. "Well, that must be them." Spike said, still staring awestruck at the new guests.

Twilight quickly pulled Soap and Nikolai away to talk to them.

"We're going to meet with Princess Celestia, the ruler of our nation and eternal sun goddess of Equestria. This is really serious. While I trust you, your friends seem a little, uh, untrusting at the moment. I need to be sure they will be ok around her, do you both understand?"

"Yeah," Soap nodded, "Back where I'm from, we have a Queen who is treated with the upmost respect and security. I take it you feel the same way here about your Princess."

She nodded, "Yes. Can you please just make sure your friends stay in line?"

"I'm sure they'll all straighten up when they realize we're meeting royalty. Even they have standards."

"Thank you," Twilight said, "This first meeting with Celestia is important for all of you."

Soon enough after a brief flight in chariots to Canterlot Castle, they were at the door to Celestia's Throne Room. A lone guard stopped the humans:

"I'm afraid I'll have to confiscate any weapons before you enter."

He took all their knives and multi-tools, but let them keep their guns, as he had no clue what they were. Price chuckled as they entered the room behind the ponies.

It was the humans turn to look awestruck as they entered the room. Spread about the walls were tapestries which they could only guess told stories about the creation of this odd place. On either side on a long red carpet stood sentry two guards wearing armor reminiscent of ancient Roman armor standing confidently at the base of the throne. At the top of the stairs sat who they all assumed to be Princess Celestia. They all noted that she was bigger than all of the other ponies, and had a set of wings and a horn, a combination they had not yet seen. Seeing as none of them were able to speak, Princess Celestia began talking.

"Well, Twilight did mention that her new guests were a bit different, I was at least hoping that they were capable of intelligent speech."

After wiping the dumbfounded look off of his face, Soap stepped forward. "Um…greetings, your majesty. Please excuse us; we're at a loss for words at the moment. Traveling to a faraway land with few similarities to your own tends to do that."

"The way you speak, it makes me think you've met royalty before."

"Well…" Soap smiled as he remembered being presented his Victoria Cross by the Queen for his actions in the Royal Army, before he joined the SAS. "Yes your highness, I have."

The Princess smiled in returned, "Then it's great to know that you all come from a civilized place…wherever that may be. Where exactly are you from?"

Soap turned to Price, unsure of what to say. Price saw this and spoke, "Don't worry lad, I got this one."

"To be honest," Price said, "We know where we're from, a world not too unlike this one, but we have no clue how we got here. One moment we're in our world, the next, here. Poof."

"Poof?"

"Well, a bright flash of light, but that's beside the point. All we know is that we're here, and we shouldn't be."

"Do you have any idea on how you all plan on getting home?" Celestia asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Not a clue, up to this point, we've just tried to get back together. We've been avoiding the question as to how we got here really. I suppose that if we got a closer look at our point of entrance, we could at least get an idea of what happened."

"Yes, and I'm quite sure Twilight and her friends would be more than delighted to help you." The 6 mares in the room became wide eyed at this. "It would be a great lesson in teamwork, considering how these gentlemen seem to work together for a living. Right Twilight?"

"Oh, well..." she saw the questioning look on Celestia's face, as if to say 'you have no choice,' "Yes, we would all be very glad to help, right girls?"

They all mumbled a collective 'yes.'

"Good, glad to see this matter settled."

As the ponies and humans began to leave, Celestia looked at Price

"Now, before you leave, Captain Price is it?"

"Yes your majesty?" Price replied.

"Could you please give me a bit of a background on you and your people? While I trust Twilight's intuition on you and your friends, I'd like to know a bit more about you, even if it is just to satisfy my own curiosity. Would you mind humoring my request?"

Price smiled. This was the first time in a while he received a warm reception from a foreign leader. Warm, as in they weren't trying to kill him.

"Sure, it would be my pleasure, what would you like to know?"

" Well, to start off, what 'are' you? Myself, and most of my subjects, are 'ponies.' What are you called?"

"Humans. To use a scientific name, Homo Sapien, but that's not used often. Think of us as big, hairless, monkeys."

Celestia laughed, "Good to know you have a sense of humor. Now, Twilight referred to you as Captain Price, is that your full name, or just a title?"

"It's just a title. My name is Jonathan Price, and Captain is just a title."

"In what group are you a Captain? Here in Canterlot, we have a Royal Guard that is managed by a Captain, and one of the ponies you met earlier, Rainbow Dash, is Captain of the Weather Patrol."

Price sighed, "I'm sure we would have to face up to this sooner or later, so I think it would be best to tell you now. Soap, the human you saw earlier with the bandage around his head, told me that he told the other ponies that he was a 'Tactical Specialist,' saying that he helps people get out of tough situations, whether it be by stealth or force, always to protect the ones he cares about most. While that is true, there's more to it." He pointed to the Task Force 141 insignia on his right sleeve, a blue spade with a skull, knife, pair of wings, and two olive branches. "This symbol shows that I am part of an elite group of soldiers meant to infiltrate enemy lands, secure anything that is needed for the good of our country and it's allies, and if needed…" He sighed, "Kill."

Both he and Celestia sighed at this, but he soon continued.

"It amazes me to see how peaceful your world is. Ours is so extremely volatile that it requires people like us to quell anything that might try to disrupt the little peace that we have. Right before we got here, we were fighting for our lives to destroy enemy equipment that would have been used to attack our home soil. That machine we crashed in was what was bringing us to safety, and then we were inexplicably brought here."

Celestia suddenly had a serious aura about here, as she readied to give Price an important question:

"Do you enjoy killing?"

Price took his M1911 out of his holster and put it on a side table, "No."

Celestia raised an eye at this and continued, "If you do not enjoy doing this, then why do you continue to do it?"

Price felt his side, remembering where to bullet struck him on the bridge with Zakeyheve.

"I don't do this because I want to; I do this because I have to. That's it, nothing else."

"Elaborate, please."

"Well, many, many years ago I joined my country's army, partially because it was a job, and partially because it was family tradition to have at least some time in the army. After my first tour of duty in hostile territory was over, I joined up again, this time in an elite squadron of troopers. We would fight the fights that no one else could. By that time, I had already been in the army for ten years. After coming home from there a hero, I had one more job opportunity available to me, to be a part of an even more elite group of people who not only go out and attack threats, but act as the first line of defense against anyone who would want to attack us. The more I worked there, the more I felt that it became my responsibility to protect my land, that if something happened anywhere, it would personally be my fault. I guess the feeling just never went away."

Celestia nodded, satisfied. "Thank you. But one more question:" She picked Price's M1911 off of the table and brought it close to her face, "What is this device? I've seen each of you with one of these, but I have no idea what role it could possibly fulfill." Price had the magazine in his pocket, so he knew it wouldn't discharge, but he still was a bit nervous. It was his gun after all.

"May I see it?" Price asked.

Celestia complied, levitating the pistol back into his hand. Price made quick work of the gun, taking it apart and laying out all of the pieces in front of Celestia.

"This device, when apart, is absolutely useless, just hunks of strangely formed metal." He began reassembling the gun with such pace that only years of repetition gives someone. "But when together, it becomes a force so powerful, that if you or your guards knew what it really was, I wouldn't be let within a mile of Canterlot with it." After unloading the bullets from the magazine, he popped it in pulled the slide back, making the satisfying noise of a gun being cocked. "This," he said holding the gun by its barrel, "Is a gun. Peacemaker, warmonger, devastator, it all depends on who you are and how you use it. It's perhaps one of my people's greatest achievements."

Even Celestia's guards leaned forward, curious to see what exactly what this device was and what it could do. Celestia herself looked puzzled, wondering how such a small device would be able to cause so much devastation. "Is there any way we could be given a demonstration?" One of her guards asked.

"Well…is there anything you wouldn't mind broken?" Price asked.

Celestia smirked, and then pointed to a bust of a griffon in the corner. "A former Griffon Delegate to Equestria, Sir Thick Feathers has recently stepped down from his position due to participating in a counterfeiting ring specializing in important documents. I was going to just return the bust, but, if that device can really devastate…"

Price nodded, and loaded the bullets back into the pistol. After flicking off the safety, he pointed at the bust of the griffon 50 feet across the room. Holding his breath, he took aim and fired. The 45 caliber bullet sent a solid crack right down the middle of the marble bust, the shockwave of the bullet breaking it into thousands of pieces.

Looking back at the guards, the two next to the throne were awestruck at this device. Looking at Celestia, Price saw that even she was leaning a bit more forward than before. He flicked the safety back on, twirled the gun on his finger, and stuck it back in the holster.

"And there are still six shots left." Price said with a smirk.

Seeing the Princess quite, Price posed a question of his own.

"Permission to speak your Majesty?" Price asked.

"Permission granted, but please, there's no need to be this formal all the time."

Thank you," Price said, relaxing a bit, "now that I've told you about my people, would you mind answering a single question?"

"Very well, what do you wish to know?"

"I told you that we have no clue about how we got here. Do you have any clue?"

"Well, while I do not know exactly what happened, I felt a large surge of energy flow throughout Equestria at approximately when you arrived in your machine. The odd thing was that whatever brought you here wasn't powered by the soft glow of magic; it was powered by a sharper energy, like lightning. That's all I've been able to gather, sorry."

Price nodded, "Thank you. Neither myself nor my men wish to be a burden on you or your people, but is there any place we can stay? Winter isn't exactly a forgiving season."

Celestia motioned to the door, "I'm more than sure that Twilight and her friends can quarter you in their homes until we find another solution."

Price sighed under his breath, "Thank you Princess. If that's all that is needed, I think I will re-join my men."

"That is all, thank you Captain Price."

As Price left he thought to himself, 'Well, this will certainly be interesting.'