• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 3,574 Views, 171 Comments

The Key to Friendship - ImperfectXIII



"Friendship is Magic Parts 1 and 2", with a Kingdom Hearts twist.

  • ...
12
 171
 3,574

Chapter 12: The Next Awakening

The group’s return trip to Ponyville was much shorter than it was for them earlier, thanks to having both a degree of sunlight to illuminate their path and having the power of the sun princess’ Keyblade on their side.

Their numbers, however, were down by one; Pinkie Pie had sped ahead of the group some time ago for not-even-Celestia-knew-where. Naturally, Twilight would’ve voiced her concerns about the cotton candy-maned pony rushing off on her own, but after her proclamation of “I have an idea,” she was already gone. Luckily, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were ‘Pinkie-savvy’ enough to talk the mulberry unicorn down before she’d organized a meaningless search party.

At any rate, the group’s trek through the Everfree Forest was met with little to no hindrance; Celestia’s mere presence warded off the woodland dwellers of the dark, and her Heaven’s Light Keyblade easily dispatched any foolhardy Heartless. The alabaster alicorn stayed close to Luna, never leaving her little sister’s side for a second. The younger princess didn’t object.

To the alicorn sisters’ rear strolled Twilight and her friends (sans one Pinkie Pie, of course). Twilight could’ve bored holes in the back of Princess Luna’s head from the way she focused so intently on it. Each time the moon princess felt the little pony’s gaze drill into her, she glanced behind, only for Twilight to yank her eyes away in nervousness.

Applejack inched over to Twilight and leaned in to whisper, “Hey. Somethin’ buggin’ ya, Twi? You’re eyein’ the princess’s li’l sis over there like she was one o’ yer books or somethin’.”

Twilight hesitated to respond. “It just…feels so weird. Walking with Ni— I mean, Princess Luna like this as if nothing’s happened. Are we supposed to just forget that she banished Princess Celestia, stole the sun away from Equestria for several hours, and nearly destroyed us?”

“Well, ya heard the princess yerself. Luna ain’t Nightmare Moon. Not anymore at least.”

“Yeah, but—”

“And besides, just look at ‘er. Does she look anythin’ like the pony we fought back at th’ old castle?”

Twilight looked over to Princess Luna. Indeed, she and Nightmare Moon couldn’t look more dissimilar if they were night and day themselves. “…No. It’s just taking some getting used to, I guess.”

“If ya still ain’t too sure, you could always talk to her. Take yer time. We’re here fer ya if ya need us.”

She gave her cowpony friend a grateful smile. “Thanks, Applejack.”

“Anytime, sugarcube.”

And yet Twilight found it difficult to keep calm. She continued watching Luna closely, fearing that at any moment Nightmare Moon would make a resurgence. Was she truly as ‘purified’ as Princess Celestia said? Or had the Nightmare simply been suppressed to a far corner of Luna’s heart? What if one little nudge was all it took? She’d lose herself to the darkness again, and the ‘Mare in the Moon’ would be back. Would the Elements of Harmony work a second time?

The countless unknowns tortured Twilight to no end. Even as Ponyville came into view over the horizon.

My Little Pony: The Key to Friendship

~ Chapter 12: The Next Awakening ~

SURPRISE!!!

Twilight could only describe it as déjà-vu. She and her companions all wore faces of extreme shock, the likes of which not even Princess Celestia’s distinctive poker face could mask.

As the group entered the town limits, a veritable sea of jovial ponies greeted them. Overjoyed to see the sun again, everypony was outside, flooding the streets of Ponyville with laughter and cheer. They welcomed the ponies who returned to them the day – the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. They welcomed their beloved sun princess back from her brief banishment. Surprisingly enough, they even welcomed the young moon princess Luna openly.

Twilight could think of only one pony capable of putting together such a grand reception in such a short amount of time. Sure enough, in the corner of her eye, she saw the party pony Pinkie Pie hopping over, accompanied by Shining Armor.

“Twily!” the older unicorn greeted his sister, and the two met for a short but warm embrace. “Nice going, kid! I knew you could do it!”

“Thanks, Shining,” Twilight returned with, almost blushing.

“Shiny!” a voice from below cried out.

Shining Armor craned his head down and met the eye of one very excited-looking dragon. “Spike!” This time, the captain of the Royal Guard did pull Spike in for a noogie. “Good to see you back to normal, buddy!”

“Hehehe…”

Turning away from the brotherly scene, Twilight faced the bouncing Pinkie. “Pinkie Pie, what is all this?”

“Isn’t it great?!” the pink pony squealed. “As soon as I remembered we’d be heading back to Ponyville, I thought ‘GAAAAASP~ Oh, my gosh! Princess Luna’s never been to Ponyville before! This calls for a party!’ Just like I threw you a party, remember? But then I thought ‘GAAAAAAASP~ Oh, my gosh! Princess Celestia’s not banished anymore! And Princess Luna’s not banished anymore either! This calls for an even bigger party!’ But THEEEEEN I thought ‘GAAAAAAAAAASP~ OH! MY!! GOSH!!! Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are sisters! And they’ve finally been reunited after a thousand years! This calls for an extra-super-duper big party!’ And I figured, why not combine them? So I raced home as quick as I could, told everypony to come outside, and we all put together my ‘Welcome to Ponyville/The Sun is Back/Reunion of the Royal Pony Sisters Extravaganza’! With sun cookies and moon pies and cake and punch and ice cream and Pin the Tail on the Pony! What do you think?!?”

Twilight blinked, as she was curious how the pink-maned mare was able to spout all of that in a single breath.

Pinkie’s good mood wavered just a little in the face of her friend’s blank stare, fearing a repeat of her outburst the previous day. “…Too much?”

Within moments, Twilight’s lips curled up into a smile. “…It’s perfect, Pinkie.”

Just like that, Pinkie’s own ear-to-ear grin was back. “Hee-hee!”

“Hey, check it out,” said Shining Armor, directing his sister and her friends’ attention to the town square, where numerous ponies gathered around town hall. On the veranda just outside town hall’s doors, Princesses Celestia and Luna stood shoulder to shoulder. Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Applejack were at the front of the crowd, awaiting their princess’s address; Twilight, Pinkie, Shining Armor, and Spike shortly joined them.

Luna looked out onto the massive pony assembly nervously. It had, after all, been a thousand years since she’d last addressed them. She glanced over and up to her elder sister’s face and met Celestia’s expression of encouragement, giving a half-smile in return before facing the assembly again. She brought a hoof up to her mouth, cleared her throat, and…

CITIZENS OF PONYVILLE!!! WE BID THEE ALL A FOND GOOD MORROW!!!

Luna’s royal Canterlot voice reached every ear in the vicinity. Those unfortunate enough to be at the front of the crowd got the worst of it, being nearly blown clear off their hooves.

ALLOW US TO FIRST IMPART UPON THEE OUR SINCEREST—!!!” She’s suddenly cut off when Celestia places a hoof over her mouth, to everypony’s discreet relief.

“Um, Luna?” the elder alicorn started. “I’m sure everypony can hear you just fine without the extra volume.”

Luna protested, “But tradition dictates—”

“Yes, I know, but a lot’s changed in the past millennium. Just…dial it back a little, okay?”

The younger princess frowned a little at the change in tradition, but nodded and relented for the sake of getting her message across as smoothly as possible. She looked out to the crowd of (now thoroughly startled) equines once more and slowly exhaled. “U-Um… Greetings, all. W-We are Princess Luna, and we thank thee for thy most warm reception to thy village. But whilst we are deeply humbled, there is…something you must know about us that we fear many of thee are not aware of. We are – or rather, were – the scourge of the darkness thou knowest as…Nightmare Moon.”

Horrified gasps and unsure murmurs blanketed the crowd at this revelation, which Twilight and her friends expected. To Luna’s right, Celestia held out a hoof, voicelessly beckoning them all for silence.

Luna pressed on in spite of their growing unease. “We understand thy trepidations. Both prior to and following our banishment to the moon, we’ve brought much destruction and despair to our dear subjects and beloved Equestria that simple words of apology can never make amends for. Though we are a creature of nightmare no longer, none can compare to the true nightmare that thou hast endured. Our sister may forgiveth us, but we will not ask forgiveness of thee until we have rightfully earned it. We make no excuses for our actions, and we pray that, with time, we will have healed the scars left by our own sinful hooves.” She bowed her head to them in shame. “…In witness of our sister Celestia and the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, this we solemnly vow.”

Twilight’s mouth hung slightly open. Princess Luna’s words carried so much regret behind them, it seemed almost unthinkable that she was once Nightmare Moon. To the left and right of her, she saw as her brother and friends moved to kneel before their princess of the night. Then, like a big wave at a sporting event, other ponies around and behind her bowed to Luna as well. Were they truly this forgiving? Could Luna even be forgiven? She looked straight ahead then and saw a tearful Luna lean against Celestia. And as against her better judgment it was, Twilight found herself kneeling as well.

Celestia stepped forward. “Raise your heads, my little ponies,” she began affectionately, “for this isn’t a day for sorrow or fear. Nightmare Moon is no more, and my dear sister has returned. The solstice may have passed, but this is still a time for celebration. If it pleases our gracious host Pinkie Pie…let us party!”

The town square burst into cheers, as the ponies of Ponyville threw their hooves up and stamped the ground joyfully. It may have come a day late, but the Summer Sun Celebration was now in full swing. Everypony ate, danced, and played to their hearts’ content.

Not even the asocial Twilight could resist joining in the fun.


Princess Luna had snuck away from the party some time later, but it was no less festive from her absence. She strode into a little grassy clearing outside the town square. Even though she could still hear the loud, happy music, it was quiet enough for her to be alone with her thoughts. She sat at the top of the small hill and closed her eyes, simply taking in the rays of her sister’s sun and letting the cool summer breeze waft over her coat. Oh, how she missed this. Though she was nocturnal by nature, the feeling of the sun’s warmth was one of her favorite things in Equestria.

…After several minutes of this, Luna’s ears perked up when she was alerted to another’s presence. “Who goes there?” she called out to her rear. She heard a tiny ‘eep’ come from a nearby bush. “We know thou art there. Show thyself.”

The bush in question softly rustled before a timid unicorn poked her head out. “Um…hi,” greeted Twilight.

“Oh. …H-Hello, Twilight Sparkle,” Luna greeted back.

“I-I can come back later if you want!”

“No! I mean… Thou may stay if thou wishest.”

Luna turned away from Twilight again, and Twilight just stood there. Sensing that the young alicorn princess was in need of somepony to talk to, she slowly approached until she was at Luna’s side. Looking over, she saw Luna’s gaze was fixated on the sky.

Ohhh… Now that we’re alone, what am I supposed to say? ‘I hate you’? ‘I forgive you’? I should’ve planned this out better!

Luna went first. “Thou art still afraid of us.”

“W-What?” Twilight was caught off-guard.

“It is alright. Our actions as the Nightmare cannot simply be moved past. There is much we must do to regain our subjects’ trust.”

“But…what about what Princess Celestia said? You aren’t Nightmare Moon. Or…weren’t, I guess.”

Luna shook her head. “Our sister means well. But were it not for our bitterness and jealousy, the Nightmare would never have been born.”

“…”

“…Tell us, Twilight Sparkle. Dost thou fear the darkness?”

“Fear the…? I don’t understand.”

“One thousand years ago, before Nightmare Moon was born, we saw many a pony’s dream. When they dreamt of Celestia, they were calm, at peace. When they dreamt of us, they were distant and frightened. Because we are of the moon and night. And what else is often associated with the night?”

“…The Heartless.”

“Indeed. Though we do not hold it against them, many ponies of that time believed the night we brought forth caused the Heartless to appear, that we were the source of all Heartless.”

“That’s not true!” Twilight suddenly cried. “Heartless come out during the day too! It’s just that they favor darkness over light, that’s all!”

“Of course learned ponies such as thyself know better. But ‘twas a different time, and such was one of the time’s common beliefs.” Luna closed her eyes as a soft blue aura of magic wrapped around her horn. “But while the darkness is indeed something to be wary of, it is not something to be feared.”

There was a dark blue flash, and Twilight’s eyes went wide when she saw a Keyblade manifest before Princess Luna. A drastic departure from the warped design of Nightmare Moon’s own, this weapon was more simplistic and elegant. A byproduct of the Nightmare: Princess Luna’s Nox Aeterna.

As she held the blade in her magical grip, Luna continued, “Darkness, like the light, is a force, an essence of life. It knows neither good nor evil. It is light’s equal and its opposite; one cannot exist without the other.”

Twilight suddenly went silent. The princess certainly wasn’t wrong. She did fear the darkness. But she was also curious about it. For as long as she’d been aware of it, the unicorn had wanted to learn more about it. But how do you study something you’re afraid of? For years, she’d taken care not to delve too deeply into it for fear of losing her heart and becoming a Heartless. She looked up to the princess’s muzzle. Then again, here was Princess Luna, an entity of darkness herself. She probably had more to teach than any book did. Twilight was suddenly overcome by a desire to study Luna and her powers of darkness, to see how differently they worked from the light. What new and interesting things she could learn!

“Um… Twilight Sparkle?”

“Huh? Y-Yes?”

“Thou art staring. It is making us most uncomfortable.”

“…Oh! I’m so sorry, I didn’t realize--! I-I didn’t mean to…!”

A light giggle escaped Luna’s lips. “It’s alright.”

The two shared a brief laugh that eased some of the tension between them. After a short silence, Twilight spoke again. “Are you coming back to the party?”

“In a little bit perhaps. I was never one for such large social gatherings.”

Shifting awkwardly, Twilight offered, “Would you…like some company?”

Luna smiled. “…We would very much welcome it, Twilight Sparkle.”


After the party died down and the sun started to set in the west, Twilight met with Princess Celestia and Shining Armor in the library. Twilight and Celestia stood across from each other in the den, while Shining Armor and Spike stood off to the side.

“You wanted to speak with me, my faithful student?” Celestia started, her colorful wispy mane flowing calmly atop her crown.

“Yes, Princess,” Twilight replied hesitantly. “I was just wondering. Now that Nightmare Moon is gone and Princess Luna’s been restored…what’s going to happen now?”

Celestia involuntarily tilted her head. “What do you mean? Your duties in Ponyville are complete, aren’t they? Now you can return to Canterlot and resume your studies like you wanted.”

“…”

“…That is what you wanted, isn’t it?”

Twilight rubbed at her foreleg as she struggled to find her voice. Breaking eye contact with her mentor, she continued. “It is. I mean, I thought it was. It’s just…part of why you sent me to Ponyville in the first place was to make friends. And I did. I met with five of the strangest ponies ever. And just when I learned how wonderful it is to have friends…I have to say goodbye to them. I… I don’t want to say goodbye.”

“What are you saying, Twilight?”

“Princess Celestia… With your permission, I’d like to stay here in Ponyville.”

As soon as the declaration left Twilight’s lips, Shining Armor and Spike went wide-eyed.

“N-Not forever!” the young unicorn quickly amended. “I just think there’s a lot I could learn while I’m here. I discovered a magic through the Elements of Harmony that I didn’t know existed. I’d…never felt anything like it before. I want to learn as much about it as I can.”

A smile graced Celestia’s muzzle as her pupil spoke. “The magic of friendship. A mysterious yet powerful magic indeed. Your new friends must mean a lot to you if you don’t want to be separated from them.”

Twilight pressed a hoof to her chest, and her face flushed with the tiniest bit of red. “…They do.”

Awww! We love you too, Twilight!

Pinkie! Shush!

A surprised silence fell upon the room. The four of them blinked in unison at the two voices, and Twilight and Celestia turned to face the door.

What’s going on now?

I dunno, I can’t hear anything anymore.

Do you suppose they heard us?

Don’t look at me! Pinkie’s the one who opened her big, fat mouth!

The violet unicorn projected her magic onto the door and yanked it open…

“WHOA!!!”

…causing the five ponies pressed up against it to come tumbling inside the library. The pony pile consisting of Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Applejack cast their eyes forward and awkwardly met the puzzled gazes of Twilight and Celestia.

“Sooooo…” Rainbow Dash spoke up from underneath everypony else, “…I hear you’re sticking around town? Heh-heh…”

Princess Celestia lightly giggled while Twilight just shook her head in embarrassment. “What’d I tell you? Strangest ponies ever,” she snarked to the other three.

When she was done having her laugh, the princess of the sun addressed Spike to the side. “Spike, take a note please.” Almost on cue, the little purple dragon had a sheet of parchment and quill at the ready. “‘I, Princess Celestia, hereby decree that the unicorn Twilight Sparkle shall henceforth take on a new mission for Equestria. She is to continue to study the magic of friendship, and will report to me her findings from her new home in Ponyville. Moreover, as a versed wielder of the Keyblade, she is to involve herself in protecting the small town from the Heartless.’”

“And my Mark of Mastery Exam?”

“Once you’ve learned a bit more about friendship, we’ll discuss your reexamination. There’s no hurry. Besides, the use of the Elements of Harmony on Luna has taken a considerable toll on her power. I want to monitor her recovery closely.”

“I understand,” Twilight relented with a bow, “and thank you very much, Princess! I promise to study harder than ever bef— Ack!” The unicorn is cut off midsentence when she’s barreled into from behind and a pair of forelegs wrap around her.

“Yippee!” an ecstatic Pinkie Pie cried out. “Twilight’s staying! Does this call for another party?”

“No!” Twilight protested but maintained her grin. “No more parties today! I’m all ‘partied out’! Hah!” She found herself even more smothered when the other four grouped around her for a giggly group hug.

For Princess Celestia, Spike, and Shining Armor, it was truly heartwarming to see.


Before long, a royal Pegasus-drawn chariot was prepped outside the library to transport Celestia, Luna, and Shining Armor back to Canterlot. Twilight and her friends stood by to see them off. This time, it was Shining Armor who found it difficult to let go.

“Shiny…” Twilight squeaked from within her brother’s death grip. “Come on. You’re embarrassing me in front of my friends.”

“Never thought I’d be hearing you say those words,” said the emotional captain as he loosened his grip.

“I’ll write you and Mom and Dad all the time.”

“You’d better,” Shining Armor said, looking like he was about to cry.

It was too good for Twilight to pass up. She teased, “About to have another one of your ‘liquid pride’ moments?”

“Shut up!” the older unicorn snapped back, pulling his sister in for a short noogie before she wrestled free. “…Love ya, Twily.”

“Love you too, B.B.B.F.F.”

As Shining Armor turned and made his way over to the chariot, Princess Celestia approached her student. “Twilight.”

“Yes, Princess?”

“I take it you’ve read up some on the Elements of Harmony? You’re one of the bearers now. What are your first impressions of them?”

“My first impressions? Well…” Twilight lowered her gaze and thought hard. “They’re definitely a source of immense power. When we used them for the first time, I felt…strong. More aware. Like I suddenly knew all there ever was to know. In fact…it felt like how it feels to wield the Keyblade.”

“I thought as much. While you’re living in Ponyville, I’d like you to do one other thing for me, Twilight.”

Twilight became more alert, curious about what other task Celestia was entrusting her with. “What is it?”

“I’d like you to keep a close eye on your friends. Now that the Elements of Harmony are bound to them, their lives will soon become a lot more…interesting.”

“Interesting how?” The unicorn mare was understandably confused by her princess’s choice of words.

“Do you remember when you first awoke as a Keyblade wielder? The dreams?”

Twilight thought back to the days leading up to her awakening. “You mean the dive? And that place with the stained glass pillars?” She was struck by thought-provoking realization. “…Are they going to…?”

Celestia nodded. “Undoubtedly. I’d like you to let me know as soon as they begin experiencing the same thing you did. I have a feeling they’ll need the both of us – mostly you – to help them through their ordeal.”

“…I’ll do whatever I can to help them,” Twilight assured.

Twilight’s assurance eased Celestia’s anxieties. “Glad to hear.” She knelt down and softly nuzzled Twilight’s cheek. “I’ll see you soon, my dear student.”

The mare with the mulberry coat watched as her mentor fluttered her way into the chariot and as the winged royal guards in the harnesses drew the chariot into the orange sunset sky. Twilight’s heart filled to the brim with emotion over her new life in Ponyville, and the same melody from days before crept into her voice once again.

There’s so little that I know

And I know I still need to grow

The task I humbly and happily accept

Is to pass it all on, so other ponies won’t forget

Walking up from behind, Rarity joined in…

The magic we all share

…followed immediately by Fluttershy…

And how much we learn to care

…then Pinkie Pie…

The joy of learning and laughing together

…then Rainbow Dash…

I know our time won’t last forever

…and finally Applejack.

So we’ll stop and take it slow

Just then, all six were singing in immaculate harmony.

For there’s so much left to know

To know

With her eyes fixed on the distancing chariot her brother and teacher rode on, Twilight held her new friends close and brought the song to a gentle end.

I can wait a little longer to grow

For there’s so much left—

—To know.


Two days later…

Twilight awoke to yet another picturesque Ponyville morning. The front door of the Golden Oaks Library opened with a light creak, and the unicorn pony trotted merrily onto the dewy grass outside. For the most part, it had an uneventful couple of days since she took up permanent residence in the little Equestrian town, which she was thankful for. The ‘Nightmare Moon incident’ had left her wanting some time to decompress. But even with this change of scenery, some things refused to change; Spike was as heavy a sleeper as ever. And considering what the incident had put him through, Twilight allowed the little dragon to sleep in.

As she hummed a cheerful tune, Twilight trotted in the direction of the café. But a shadow slithering in the corner of her eye broke her pace. She turned to face the odd phenomenon and gasped at something rising out of the ground: a pony-shaped Heartless with Pegasus wings.

Murkwing!” exclaimed the blue-maned pony, instinctively readying the Academia.

The winged Heartless flapped its wings once and retreated.

“Hey! Get back here!”

Indeed, even with this change of scenery, some things refused to change. Twilight pursued the Murkwing a moderate ways across Ponyville, but any attempts to corner it were made futile by its aerial ability.

“Argh! Hold still!”

Once Twilight had chased the flying Heartless into the town square, she fired upon it with a volley of fireballs. It swerved to dodge the first two, but the third hit its mark, and the Murkwing dive-bombed out of the air. It hit the ground below with a splat before reforming itself. With a temporarily singed wing, the Heartless was grounded.

“Gotcha now! …Uh-oh.”

Twilight’s small victory would prove premature, as the Murkwing was soon joined by at least a dozen other Heartless of assorted sizes and shapes. Nightfoals, Murkwings, Heartless with unicorn horns, and even some as heavily built as Shining Armor comprised their numbers. It was a rare occasion that saw Twilight this outnumbered, but she didn’t falter.

Just then, a voice that seemed to come from above. “There you are!”

And within seconds, Twilight was joined by her five new friends, each of them coming from a different direction. She looked to them one by one, surprised by their sudden arrival. “Girls!”

Applejack greeted the unicorn with a tip of her Stetson. “Hey there, Twi. Fancy runnin’ into ya here.”

“Morning, girls,” said a slightly out-of-breath Rarity.

“What are you all doing here?” Twilight asked them.

Rainbow Dash gritted her teeth at the Heartless pack. “Caught a couple of these creeps lurking outside my house today.”

Fluttershy chimed in then. “That big one over there was about to take the heart of one of my animal friends!”

“Well, I guess your reasons for being here aren’t important,” Twilight conceded. “At least you helped herd these Heartless together so I can get rid of them all at once.”

“On your own?” Rainbow Dash scoffed as she floated down to Twilight’s side. “Haven’t you learned anything by now?”

The Keyblade-wielding pony saw her friends line up beside her. Rainbow Dash and Rarity stamped at the ground. Applejack readied her lasso. And Pinkie Pie was loading balloons and confetti into her ‘party cannon’. There was no point in trying to talk them out of it, Twilight thought. Besides, though they weren’t chosen ones yet, they’d proven themselves capable of holding their own against the Heartless and other threats. With a sigh, she set her sights on the pack of black-coated creatures. “…Let’s do it, girls!”

With a harmonized cry of “YEAH!”, the Elements of Harmony followed their friend into battle.

Her name was Twilight Sparkle.

She was a Keyblade wielder.

She discovered the magic of friendship.

And she couldn’t be happier.

THE END

Author's Note:

- Princess Luna's Keyblade model is based on the Oblivion Keychain from Kingdom Hearts