• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 3,573 Views, 171 Comments

The Key to Friendship - ImperfectXIII



"Friendship is Magic Parts 1 and 2", with a Kingdom Hearts twist.

  • ...
12
 171
 3,573

Chapter 10: Forze Del Male

“Hello again, little filly.”

Twilight looked across the dilapidated throne room and beheld the sinister magnificence of Nightmare Moon. She watched as the Elements of Harmony’s spherical husks of stone orbited around the alicorn, an unseen force keeping them afloat.

“I really must offer you my thanks,” Nightmare Moon crooned. “Were it not for you and your friends, I never would’ve found the old castle. This place, this vast expanse of trees that you call the Everfree Forest – it all used to be undisturbed grassland. A veritable labyrinth where once were rolling hills and plains.”

“You saying we led you here?” Twilight spat. “Forgive me if I don’t feel like saying ‘you’re welcome’.”

“Stubbornly defiant, I see. Are you under the impression that victory is still within your reach? The truth stares you in the face, foal. Your precious Elements are no more than stone, sapped of every last drop of their power when I was sealed away a thousand years past. Only with them could you have ever hoped to defeat me, and they are now useless to you.”

“If they’re useless to me, why were you so concerned with finding them before us?”

“…What?”

“The Elements are powerless now, right? But when you were wearing Applejack’s face, you were in such a hurry to find the castle that almost nothing else mattered. Not the injured Timberwolf, not the nest of baby dragons; heck, when Rainbow Dash called you out on it, you pretty much gave your intentions away right then and there.”

“…” Nightmare Moon was silent, curious as to where the little bookworm was going with this.

Twilight put one hoof forward. “The only truth that ‘stares me in the face’ right now…is that the Elements of Harmony scare you. They locked you up a thousand years ago, and you wanted to find them first before we could use them on you because you’re afraid of being locked up a second time. Or worse.”

The orbs of stone floating around the black-coated mare fell to the floor with a series of resounding thuds. Nightmare Moon herself seemed almost insulted by Twilight’s accusation. Afraid? Of the Elements of Harmony? She feared nothing. Her power was absolute and without equal. For the longest time, she scowled at the little pony across from her, mute, before her lips curled up into a smirk. “…You are an amusing one, Twilight Sparkle,” she said in an audible whisper. “Rising to the challenge in the face of your princess’s utter defeat? Admirable…but oh so very unwise.” Nightmare Moon’s malformed Keyblade then materialized in the grasp of her ethereal, star-studded mane.

In response, Twilight summoned the Academia, cracks still running up and down the shaft. She pled inwardly to Princess Celestia, if she could somehow hear her, that her weapon would hold out long enough to see her through this confrontation.

“Show me…the power of your convictions… Twilight Sparkle!!!” Lightning crashed around Nightmare Moon once more…as she lunged forward.

My Little Pony: The Key to Friendship

~ Chapter 10: Forze Del Male ~

Five sets of eyes darted about the old castle atrium, as the voices they belonged to cried out for their spirited-away companion.

“Twilight!” Applejack shouted, her friends scurrying around her in panic. “Where are you?!”

Rainbow Dash came in for a landing at the cowpony’s side. “There’s no sign of her anywhere!”

“Yoo-hoo! Twilight!” Pinkie Pie called out, picking up a lonely stone block as though it were weightless. “This isn’t a time for hide-and-seek!”

Before anxiety claimed her entirely, Rarity caught a glimpse of a shimmer in the corner of her eye. She trotted over to the window and looked to the northwesternmost tower. From its windows, she saw a spectrum of bright lights coming from within. “Girls, look!” Rarity yelped to her friends.

Applejack regarded the glowing lights briefly and gasped in realization. “C’mon, y’all!” she directed to the others, and she bolted for the large wooden doors at the far end of the chamber. But a sudden, second-long tremor broke her sprint, nearly knocking her off balance. “W-What in blue blazes…?!”

When a second, stronger tremor came, unease started to set in for the five mares. Then a third tremor came, and a fourth, each slightly stronger than the one before it. Whatever was approaching was beyond the passage leading out of the atrium. By the time of the sixth tremor, powerful enough to push the group of ponies a couple of inches off the ground, a large, scaly claw stepped out into the open.

That was all Fluttershy needed to see to know it was time to hide.

A second scaly foreleg appeared before the colossal beast pulled the rest of itself through the door opening. A great mass of amethyst and lime green scales and dark green spines revealed itself to the party.

Spike, number-one-assistant-to-Twilight-Sparkle-turned-dragon-of-darkness-and-destruction, reared back onto his hind legs and belted out a mad, thunderous roar that echoed across the roofless castle chamber and the Everfree sky beyond.

The ponies in front of the great dragon froze. Applejack’s eyes grew to the size of dinner plates, and her mouth moved on its own. “…Whoa nelly…”

Spike took in a big lungful of air through his nostrils and, lurching his neck forward, exhaled a stream of green and black fire. Applejack and the others ducked as close to the cold, hard floor as they could as the trail of flames traveled over their heads. When Spike was finished, a ring of fire lined the edge of the room; he had effectively sealed off their means of escape.

Rainbow Dash picked herself and glowered at the dragon. Her wings beat agitatedly. “Looks like Nightmare Moon’s guard dog wants to play!”

Spike picked up on the Pegasus’ movement almost instantly, lifting one of his claws up to flatten her. The ponies scattered across the floor just as Spike’s claw slammed harshly against it. He saw them flee and, singling out Pinkie Pie, gave chase. His footsteps weren’t as deliberate as they were when he first entered; the small tremors he caused with each forward step now only slightly shook the room. He chased the pink pony halfway around the room’s perimeter and closed the gap in no time. As his eyes focused on her cotton candy-like tail, he opened up his toothy maw with intent to chomp down on it. But just before he could, Rainbow Dash soared in from the left side and struck at Spike’s jaw with a hind hoof, causing him to stagger and allowing Pinkie to get away. Spike recovered from the blow within moments and looked to the flying pony irritably.

“Nyah-nyah!” Rainbow taunted the dragon, blowing a raspberry at him for good measure.

In retaliation, Spike swiped his claws and blew fire at her, quickly finding that none of his attacks were landing due to the Pegasus’ amazing speed.

“Heh! Too slow, ya big newt!”

Spike exhaled through his snout then, blowing a thin puff of black smoke in Rainbow Dash’s face. She breathed in the eye-watering smoke and coughed. With her vision clouded, Spike swatted her with his tail and sent her flying across the atrium.

Ohhh, Spikey-wikey~” sang a high-pitched voice from the side.

Spike looked over and saw his original target Pinkie Pie standing by with a small, short-barreled cannon on wheels.

“Open WIIIIIIIDE!” the pony with the frizzy mane said. She mashed a button near the cannon’s base, and out of the barrel shot an entire chocolate cake.

The pastry whizzed through the air and splattered messily against Spike’s face. Pinkie mashed the button again, and it fired off an apple pie this time. Once again, it left a sugary, sticky mess on Spike’s snout. When he roared in anger at this, a second cake shot into his open maw and down his throat. Not bothering to savor the cake’s flavor, Spike swallowed and bellowed again; Pinkie Pie’s efforts served only to make him angrier.

“Hmm… If cake and pie don’t work… Time for me to pelt this palooka’s patootie with my powerful, peppy, plot-kicking Pinkie Pie Peppermint Pulverizer! …Patent pending.” Pinkie decided that the next thing she’d shoot at Spike…would be herself! She suddenly leapt into the barrel of the cannon and threw on a helmet that she seemed to pull out of thin air. The cannon’s blast launched her into the air at Mach speed. “WHEEEEEEEEE!”

The crown of her helmet collided violently with Spike’s jaw, and as the pony-shaped cannonball ricocheted off in a random direction, the dragon reeled from the hard hit, knocking into the wall at his right.

Pinkie Pie flew through the air for several seconds before her loss in momentum carried her down toward the ground, where Rarity clumsily caught her. “Good gracious, Pinkie! Are you alright?!”

Still dazed from her head collision with Spike’s scaly hide, Pinkie slurred, “The Pinkie Pie Peppermint Pulverizer…needs perfecting…”

When Spike finally found his bearings, he let out a smoky snort. He looked around for its pony prey and saw nothing in his immediate line of sight. Just then, something tugged at his spines that caused his head to lurch back. As he glanced to his backside, he saw Applejack brandishing a lasso; one end was in her teeth, the other end wrapped around his topmost spine. With a defiant growl, he jerks his head frontward, pulling the Stetson-wearing pony at the lasso’s opposing end off the ground.

Applejack had foreseen this though, and launched toward Spike at such a trajectory that, when he pulled her off the ground, she’d land with her hooves on his head. She now rode him like a bull at the rodeo. “YEE-HAW!” Applejack’s voice echoed. “Git along, little doggie!”

Spike whipped his head back and forth in an attempt to shake the orange Earth pony loose. No such luck; Applejack’s forelegs were wrapped as tightly around his spines as a boa constrictor. Using the spines as reins, Applejack shifted her weight and guided Spike’s stampede. One lap around the Elements’ monument, and she steered him face-first into a wall. She jumped away as Spike wobbled dizzily.

Applejack met Rainbow Dash’s eye as she flew by. “All yours, pardner,” she said to her blue friend with a wink.

“I’m on it!” Rainbow returned with a salute before diving in.

She streaked through the air at unimaginable speeds, circling Spike’s head in a rainbow-colored spiral. Gale force winds buffeted Spike as he shook off his dizziness. He roared upon seeing Rainbow’s helix of color. With another mighty swing of his tail, he zeroed in on Rainbow Dash and blew her away with a great thwack.

Once again, the blue pony went flying, skidding across the dusty castle floor and coming to a stop near her fellow Pegasus in hiding. “Hey, Fluttershy! Feel free to jump in at any time!”

“I-I can’t!” the cream-coated mare cried as she hid her face in her hooves. “I’m scared of dragons!”

“Really?!” Rainbow Dash shouted, incredulous. “You, ‘Little Miss I’m-Not-Scared-of-a-Snarling-Howling-Timberwolf’, are afraid of dragons?!”

“Timberwolves are different! They’re not huge, scaly, terrifying, teeth-gnashing, fire-breathing, pony-eating MONSTERS!!!

Rainbow sprang to her hooves and urged, “Come on, Fluttershy, we need you! Twilight needs you!”

The pressure only made the timid pony tremble harder. “I’m sorry! I just can’t!”

“Argh!” Rainbow peeked out from Fluttershy’s hiding spot and saw the overgrown Spike advancing upon Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie. His bared fangs oozed hot saliva. Rainbow Dash took wing in an instant and sped through the air. “Leave them alone!”

The giant dragon brought his right claw up and, for the third time, smacked the little flying pony’s body away. This time around, her collision with the wall was harsh, the ground that met her even colder. “…Ow…” she raspingly whimpered.

Fluttershy covered her mouth with her hooves at this terrifying sight. “Rainbow Dash, no!” she shrieked. Her lip quivered, and her thoughts raced. She watched her new friends cower in fear of the ravenous Spike. She listened to her best friend in the world groan as she fought to stand. She heard the threatening growls of a baby dragon corrupted by darkness.

Why was this happening? The day before, the only thing she really worried about was when one of her many animal friends sprained an ankle. Today, a dragon she was deathly afraid of.

Fluttershy looked to her friends again. How helpless and weak they seemed. Just as helpless and weak as she was. And she realized: as afraid as she was of ‘Nightmare Spike’, she was even more afraid of seeing her friends hurt. “…”

Pinkie, Applejack, and Rarity held close to each other, trembling uncontrollably. Spike opened up his mouth to devour them whole, swathing them in his putrid breath.

STOP!!!

Against his better nature, Spike paused when the voice from nowhere ordered him. He glanced to the side to see Fluttershy, who’d come out of hiding to confront him. There was a distinct change in her demeanor; gone was her expression of shyness and fear in favor of one of intense anger.

“This has gone on for long enough, mister!” the typically bashful Fluttershy scolded. “Nightmare Moon may have filled your heart with darkness, but these are my friends you’re messing with! And no one – I repeat – no one messes with my friends!”

Spike was stricken docile. An inexplicable force emanating from Fluttershy’s eyes made him strangely compliant to her demands. She took a few steps toward him, and out of fear of being crushed by this unearthly power, he took steps away from her.

Rarity couldn’t believe what she was bearing witness to. “Are you seeing…what I’m seeing?”

“Ah’m seein’ it…” Applejack replied, “…but Ah ain’t sure Ah believe it…!”

“And they’re your friends too, you know!” Fluttershy persisted. “Same goes for Twilight and Shining Armor, right? Did you just forget about them? Did Nightmare Moon take your memories away when she turned you into her puppet? If she didn’t, you better straighten up and fly right, mister! Or so help me…!”

However the message was sent, it appeared to be received. Spike blinked several times, the pure white glow of his pupils being replaced by his signature deep-green. He struggled to move his lips, and out came a deep, gravelly voice.

Ffffflllluuuuu…tttttttteeeeeerrrrr…ssssssshhhhhhhhyyyyyy…

“Spike?” The young mare became hopeful.

The giant dragon groaned and shook his head; the darkness controlling him had been suppressed by Fluttershy’s ‘Stare’, but was now fighting for mind supremacy. Spike’s mind fought back. On the outside, this had taken the form of Spike running up to surrounding walls and ramming them repeatedly with his skull.

“S-Spike!” Fluttershy cried out in alarm. “What are you…?!”

Twwwiiiiiii…lllllliiiiiiiiggghhhhtttt…!

“Well, Ah’ll be,” Applejack started again, securing her hat. “He’s fightin’ Nightmare Moon’s control over ‘im!”

“Come on, Spike! You can do it!” Pinkie Pie cheered, flailing her hooves. “Show that mean old meanie-pants Black Snooty who’s boss!”

“The poor dear’s just hurting himself!” a worried Rarity remarked.

Stampeding from one side of the atrium to the other, Spike drove his skull into a wall over and over in an ill-conceived attempt to cast out Nightmare Moon’s influence. Rainbow Dash knew those walls wouldn’t endure much more though, and that the entire chamber would soon cave in on itself. “Alright, that does it! Time to put an end to this!” With steeled will, she shot upward into the night sky, putting several miles between herself and the ground. She cast her gaze down to where she’d taken off from and zeroed in on Spike. She then positioned herself to dive…and dove. Her wings beat fervently against the pushing updrafts as she plummeted. In the final seconds of her descent, Rainbow Dash spun around to strike Spike’s noggin with a hind hoof, and…

~WHAM~!!!

…struck at the dragon’s scaly head like a wrecking ball.

His vision thus blurred, Spike collapsed onto the stone floor, teetering on the very edge of consciousness. All around him and the ponies, the flames in Spike’s ring of fire finally died down.

“And stay down, ‘Smokey’!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. “Aw, yeah! Who’s awesome? I’m awesome!”

“Alright, Rainbow, there’ll be time for that later,” said Rarity to rein in her Pegasus friend’s antics. “I do believe we still have a task ahead of us. We must find Twilight.”

“But what about Spike?” Fluttershy wondered. “We can’t just leave him.”

Applejack chimed in. “Don’t worry, sugarcube. He should be right as rain once we deal with our little ‘Mare in th’ Moon’ situation. Now c’mon, y’all! Twilight could be in a heap o’ trouble!”

As Spike lay defeated on the stone atrium floor, the five ponies raced around his hulky form and up the flight of stairs that awaited them outside the chamber.

Hang in there, Twilight! Help is on th’ way!


Twilight let out a pained grunt as she was thrown back, her hooves skidding across the floor and picking up dust. Her coat was marked from head to hoof by bruises, thin cuts, and light burns. Her mane was somewhat matted and frayed. And the Academia in her magic grip was even worse for wear.

The winded unicorn shot Nightmare Moon the evil eye, as Nightmare Moon, barely perspiring, shot back a conceited grin.

“Disappointing thus far,” the alicorn gloated, her Keyblade pulsating black waves. “Is this truly the extent of your resolve?”

Twilight looked past Nightmare Moon, past the menace of her dark weapon, to the old castle throne behind her. Specifically, to the assembly of stone orbs resting at the foot of the throne.

If I can just get to the Elements…!

Focusing on Nightmare Moon once more, Twilight stamped at the ground. The wicked mare regarded her unamused. “Really now, are you that much of a glutton for punishment?”

Twilight didn’t give Nightmare Moon the satisfaction of a reply, responding only with a single shot of fire.

The alicorn’s Keyblade sliced through the oncoming projectile, and her eyes narrowed. “It appears so. Fine then. If you refuse to acknowledge the power of my darkness…then I will extinguish every last trace of your light!

She swung her midnight-colored key and threw the first attack of Round 2: a crescent arc of dark energy that carved through the air. Twilight dove out of the crescent’s path and broke into a gallop around the throne room. Nightmare Moon followed her movement, launching crescent after crescent at her. Briefly taking shelter behind a pillar to catch her breath, Twilight leapt out and fired a blast of concentrated magic from her horn. As her opponent absorbed the blast with her weapon, Twilight took to the air on a burst of wind, electing to fire upon the alicorn from above with a rapid-fire volley of red flame. Nightmare Moon swatted the fireballs away with a spin of her blade and projected her power onto the airborne Twilight, dragging her down with gravity magic. Just before she collided with the ground, Twilight conjured an energy bubble for her to bounce on and cushion her fall. The bubble expanded, sending Twilight up again, in an arc directly over the black-coated alicorn. From above, she shot down a trio of lightning bolts that Nightmare Moon wasn’t prepared to guard against.

“Argh!”

Twilight returned to the ground, and the evil mare retaliated; with an upward swing of her Keyblade, she summoned a column of purple fire that traveled across the floor in the littler pony’s direction. In response, Twilight conjured a rectangular wall of energy to absorb the blast. Though several yards divided them, Nightmare Moon closed that gap in a matter of milliseconds. Twilight’s eyes went wide. S-So fast! She shattered Twilight’s barrier by force of will alone, and lashed her tail around Twilight’s neck.

Freeze…!

A flash of extreme cold overtook Twilight’s body, encasing her entire form in ice. Nightmare Moon proceeded to hurl the frozen Twilight into a wall; the ice smashed on impact, and the mulberry pony fell limp.

As Twilight struggled to stand, she also strained to gather her thoughts. Never had she faced an enemy so powerful; not even the strongest Heartless gave her this much of a hard time. But she reasoned that banishing Princess Celestia to the sun served as proof positive of her might. She was unable to contemplate further, however, as she was suddenly picked up off the floor. She looked ahead and saw the wicked white glow in Nightmare Moon’s eyes again, and a magical force pulled her toward the alicorn. Twilight feared she was about to deal the finishing blow…

…until she saw that there was no glow around Nightmare Moon’s horn. This force pulling her in – it wasn’t unicorn magic, it was Keyblade magic! A Keyblade spell that Twilight herself was familiar with! She reacted swiftly, bringing the Academia up and casting the appropriate counter-spell. The magnetic field around Twilight’s body met the field around the alicorn’s…

…and they repelled!

“What?!”

Yes!

Twilight immediately took advantage of this break in the evil pony’s concentration, jumping up and bringing her Keyblade down upon the enemy in a surge of power. Nightmare Moon reeled. She followed up on this with a whirling dervish of blade strikes that drove the enemy back a few feet. To cap off the assault, a show of Faith. A pillar of bluish-white light came down from above, and the alicorn let out an anguished scream as she felt her insides burn. The intense light faded, and the mare of the moon fell to her knees.

Now’s my chance!

Twilight shut her eyes, focusing her magic again, and momentarily popped out of existence, popping back into it beside the Elements of Harmony. She wavered for a second, unused to expending so much magic at once, before gazing down at the stone orbs at her hooves. “Just one spark,” she said to herself. Like before, she thrust the Keyblade into the ground and concentrated power to her horn. “Come on, come on…!” Before long, the same magical aura given off by Twilight’s horn was building around the orbs, coating them all in a swirl of magenta.

Nightmare Moon spun around to see Twilight, her turquoise eyes bloodshot and her expression indignant. Her form became as mist, and she rocketed toward the young Keyblade pony.

As the magic continued to build, Twilight felt something within the Elements flicker to life. She became considerably more hopeful from this feeling, even as Nightmare Moon corporealized before her. The Elements weren’t as drained of their power as the black alicorn had alleged, but there was indeed very little to harness. No matter; if there was even a slim chance that they could be used against her…

Nightmare Moon bared her teeth. “You…insolent little…!”

Twilight ignored her. She was almost there, she could feel it. She fed power to her Keyblade, and those energies then poured into the Elements. There was a pop and a fizzle in the air, as energy was distributed among the five orbs. But as that energy fed back into the Academia, and subsequently back at Twilight, the unicorn felt something akin to…a push. A very hard push. The magical feedback threw Twilight back at least fifty feet. “Owww…” She had one of the worst headaches ever when she picked herself up.

Power still surged within the Elements; the effect was not unlike lightning jumping around inside a cloud. Nightmare Moon observed this with abject horror. “No… No!”

Twilight couldn’t help but smile spitefully at the alicorn’s expense. No doubt she was thinking the same thing Twilight was: she was about to lose.

The energy continued to crackle and hiss until…it sputtered and died. The auras faded. Nothing happened.

Twilight’s heart skipped a beat. “W… W-What? But…where’s the sixth Element?! It should’ve…! Why didn’t it…?!” Once again, she’d been stricken inarticulate.

At the other end of the spectrum, Nightmare Moon – realizing her victory had been all but assured – started to laugh. A soft chuckle at first, but slowly built to a hearty, malicious cackle. She suddenly reared up on her hind legs and slammed her hooves on the ground…

…causing the Elements of Harmony to shatter as though they were made of glass.

Twilight’s heart sank as low as it could possibly sink. She saw her only hope – all of Equestria’s only hope – of being rid of the threat of Nightmare Moon disintegrate before her very eyes. The mighty Elements of Harmony, the most powerful magic known to ponykind, now lay in fragments on the throne room floor.

But Nightmare Moon wasn’t quite done crushing Twilight’s spirit yet. She pulled the Academia out of the ground and held it out in front of her. “You little foal!” she spat. “Thinking you could defeat me?! I warned you that I was not to be crossed! I warned you about learning your place! Now you will never see your princess, your little dragon friend, or your sun! And this…!” She brought the Academia up over her head and struck it against the ground, snapping it in two along the cracked shaft.

“!!!” Another hefty blow to Twilight’s already fragile psyche.

The upper half of the Academia fell to the floor with a clatter, and Nightmare Moon tossed the handle and keychain away. It slid across the floor and stopped in front of Twilight. “…The penalty for your impertinence,” the cruel mare hissed. “I’ve sealed off your door. The sun will never again rise, and the night – my beautiful, wondrous night – will last forever!!!” The alicorn’s laugh once again filled the air; she couldn’t contain her rapture.

Twilight slumped to the floor. She didn’t care that it was freezing cold to the touch. Princess Celestia was gone. Spike was gone. The Elements of Harmony were destroyed. Her connection to the Keyblade was severed.

That was it then. All hope was lost.

She clenched her eyes shut and buried her face in her forelegs in a pathetic attempt to hide her despair.

Twilight cried silently. She failed.

They were right there… I was so close… I can’t believe how much I let everypony down, how much I let Equestria down…

“…ight…”

I’m sorry, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash…

“…ilight…”

I’m sorry, Shining Armor… I’m sorry, Spike… I’m sorry, Princess Celestia…

“…wilight…!”

I’m so, so sorry…

“TWILIGHT!!!”

The sorrowful unicorn gasped. Somepony was calling out to her. Or more accurately, someponies. She craned her head back and looked to the passage leading out of the throne room. An assembly of pony-shaped shadows drew near.

“We’re a-comin’, Twilight!”

“Save some of the fight for us!”

“We’re almost there, Twilight!”

“Help is on the way, darling!”

“We got your back, Twilight! And your front! And your sides too if you want!”

It was them. The five ponies who had come to the castle with her. The five ponies who braved the dangers of the Everfree Forest with her. The five ponies who gave her the warmest (albeit most eager) reception to a new town she’d ever had. They’d come looking for her. They were worried about her.

Another tear escaped Twilight’s eye…

…and she felt it.

The spark.