• Published 12th Dec 2012
  • 5,077 Views, 708 Comments

Elements Change the Dark Hearts - Nightmare_0mega



What Measure is a Monster? When six darkened beings from different worlds and times are brought to Equestria, will they adapt to the peace, or seek to destroy it?

  • ...
7
 708
 5,077

PreviousChapters Next
Banned from Heaven

Adna froze, its gaze fixated on the gargantuan angel high above, flanked by its brethren. The warm atmosphere of heaven itself encased the land in golden light like a new dawn and repopulated the vacant skies with new clouds, far thinner and more gentle than Equestria's own. The Affinities summoned flapped their wings slowly and rhythmically, keeping themselves in place in the sky. The angel that had spent time in this alien land looked to Fortitudo, recalling its life in heaven. In all of Adna's centuries of existence, it had only seen a member of the Auditio once. When hunting witches in the mortal realm on a world called Earth on its northern continent, it bore witness to Fortitudo and its divine wrath, as it bathed the land below it in purifying fire to kill a particularly troublesome pact-bearer. The fires were hot enough to pierce through the barrier between Limbo and the living world, destroying the forest the witch had hid in. It was a terrifying and almost awe inspiring moment, and as quickly as it happened, Fortitudo vanished, leaving behind the burning former northern paradise. Adna seldom heard stories of the Auditio before and after then, of grander cataclysms they create in the name of the Father. It was said that the Auditio are only brought forth in times of crisis, times of urgency, and times of trouble. The little Affinity was only afraid of why Fortitudo was brought here, as seeking one lost angel was hardly worth such ceremony.

"Adna," the massive angel spoke gently, "Torzu od niiso, esiasch. Geh aaf il bransg."a

"... Be among thy... guard?" Twilight muttered. Everyone within earshot turned to her with quizzical expressions.

"You can understand that, Twah?" Applejack asked disconcertingly.

"Almost," she replied, "Adna's first words to us were in a language I recognized but couldn't quite remember, before cycling through different languages and settling on a slightly dated version of our current language. After doing a little research that day, I found out what said language was. Its Old Equish, a rather dead dialect to be sure. Dating back before the original truce of the Three Pony Kingdoms. Long before Equestria was Equestria. It's startling to hear it now so clearly spoken."

"Jeez, what DIDN'T you learn while being the Princess's 'teacher's pet'?" Rainbow Dash asked honestly, despite her attempt to rib on her friend.

"Not much," Twilight said automatically, more focused on the strange and oddly beautiful spectacle they all beheld. If only I had my notepad and a camera.

"Adna?" Fluttershy asked, causing the rest of the ponies to turn to the owner of the name. The angel was purely fixated on the seemingly peaceful invaders, opening its wings slowly in silence. Before they could say anything more, the lost angel kicked off the ground and began flying up, closer to the new angels in the sky above. "Is he gonna be ok?"

Twilight watched the angel closely. "I'm not sure, Fluttershy. He hasn't said anything since they showed up." She looked back to the imposing creatures that waited in the golden sky. "I'll be honest. I am a little worried."

-o-v-o-v-o-v-o-v-o-

Adna tentatively and slowly ascended the skies high above the training facility, keeping its gaze upon Fortitudo. The little angel's feathers ruffled in nervous anticipation, wondering what will happen. As it got closer, the high ranking angel spoke once again.

"Ge yrpoil galvah, od geh aaf Ascha iehusoz,"b the mighty creature said, "Niis, zildar a ge od blans unal hami."b

Adna stopped approaching, taking in its superior's words to heart. It gave a concerned sigh. "What will happen?"

The angel of the Auditio gave a quizzical look. "Ils camliax a nidali par zonrensg. Bagle?"c Adna covered its beak in reaction, but before the little angel could defend its minor transgression, the great being continued to speak. "Zirom ils tliob lap cors un drilpa capimao de ge fifis loagaeth? Noan ils a dodsih?"c

"Ag,"d Adna finally replied in its native tongue.

The great angel became silent as it looked down on the former cast away. It sensed a change, but not of the soul, and the change it could sense was not from the accursed pungent aroma of magic that permeated the land they were in. "Ils camliax vaoan."e It gave a light chuckle. "Solpeth, ils gru trian oi: Aldon unal hami ar ge adgt fifalz a babalon od urbs oi pi."e

"Fifalz?"f Adna parroted, "Gnay ils fafen de zonrensg teloc de priaz casarm ge uran ca babalon?"f

"Noib,"g it answered without a shred of remorse, "I ge umd a balzizras, g Ascha dooain."g Before Adna could object, the high ranking angel bellowed out, which caused the Affinities it summoned to begin flying down to the ponies below. Adna whipped around, realizing what was about to happen. It was a culling.

As the angels screeched their battle cries, readying themselves for opposition, Adna outstretched its hand towards the prelude of chaos, calling out, "STOP!" Only the Auditio angel managed to hear the plea, and only in a light pother. The little angel turned to its superior with worry set on its soul. "They are innocent!" However, without waiting for an answer from Fortitudo, the halo-less angel followed its kin to stand for justice on its own accord.

-o-v-o-v-o-v-o-v-o-

Twilight watched as the two angels conversed, trying hard to follow the Old Equish between them, but too many words were lost on her. Despite her difficulty, she noticed Adna's body language. It was stiff, nervous, and troubled. Seeing this, however, began to put the little unicorn on edge herself. Her friends were quick to notice her silent plight.

"You ok there, Twilight?" Rainbow Dash asked in concern.

"Adna's afraid," she said simply.

"Wh-what do you mean?" Fluttershy asked, almost trembling in empathy to the thought.

Before Twilight could answer her meek friend, they heard the roar of the massive angel, following the smaller angels, much like Adna itself, that descended the skies at a rapid pace. Everyone froze, but upon realizing the angels were readying their weapons, Twilight called out to her friends.

"EVERYPONY! GET NEAR ME!" she shouted. Her friends, and a few of the cadets gathered around her as she summoned a force-field of purple magic around them. Everyone was confused until they saw it. Angels scattered and began to chase about other ponies, attempting to capture them, some already close to succeeding. Everything in Twilight's mind desperately struggled to weigh the odds. Adna was powerful. Very powerful. A talented unicorn would be lucky to have that kind of prowess as the Affinity she knew. Assuming her own talents, she believed she would have enough to match herself against one of them, maybe two. However, being one of the only two unicorns in the area, she knew fighting back actively would get her nowhere and only get more ponies taken over by the sheer numbers. The pegasi, especially the Wonderbolts themselves, might be able to help keep them at bay, but even then the facility was filled more with members-to-be rather than fully trained personnel. At the thought of the devil, it was at that moment that Spitfire's own voice was echoing across the facility's speakers.

"ATTENTION ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS!" Spitfire yelled out in desperation, "THIS IS NOT A DRILL! I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL! SCRAMBLE AND DEFEND ALL CIVILIANS AT ALL COST! NEW RECRUITS, SEEK OUT SHELTER AND ARM YOURSELVES FOR PROTECTION! THAT IS AN ORDER! SPITFIRE, OUT!"

It was then a squad of Wonderbolt members, lead by Spitfire herself, emerged from the main building and split to intercept the invaders. Their efforts were valiant, as they slammed into angels that had captured ponies, getting the Affinities to release their claims, and distracting the angelic forces from further attempts at capture. While the angels were clearly stronger and gifted with miracles, the seasoned Wonderbolts were fast and dexterous enough to keep them at bay and avoid their relentless assaults for the time being. But, ponies are merely mortal with limited stamina, while the angels knew it would be a matter of time before their infinite patience would be rewarded.

It was a sight of pure chaos to be sure, beheld by Twilight and everyone lucky enough under her dome. The safety did not remain unchallenged however, as a flock of three Affinities descended the sky and landed before the magical barrier. They cawed and shrieked in their odd language as they began to repeatedly strike at the force-field's surface, causing Twilight to flinch at each strike. Sweat formed at her brow as she tried hard to maintain the barrier. However, help came as Rarity herself flared her horn and poured her own energy into Twilight's, strengthening their protective shield for that much longer. As the two unicorns kept them at bay, Rainbow Dash gritted her teeth in fury and frustration.

"Twilight. On the count of three," she said, fire burning in her eyes, "let me out so I can do something instead of just sit here while these punks harass us."

Twilight looked to the loyal friend behind her, and gave her a hard nod. And as requested, at the count of three, Twilight bust open the barrier quick enough to allow Rainbow Dash out, and closed it before any of the angels had a chance to take advantage. The sight was something to behold, as the Element of Loyalty screamed through the sky. She pin-balled between the angels, knocking them off balance while in the air, and kept them from harming her future comrades and team members almost as effortlessly as she busted clouds. It was inspiring to see her friend fight so hard to protect everypony, and wanted nothing more than to applaud her actions.

However, a sudden crack in her mind kicked out of her revere, as one of the Affinities at the surface of her shield had begun to push its hand through the barrier slowly. It reached in to try to grasp Twilight by the horn, inching ever so close to the little pony to stop the source of the magic. Twilight shut her eyes, hoping to Celestia it wouldn't be able to reach.

Suddenly, there was a heavy thump, as the trio of Affinities were smacked away from the barrier by Twilight's damaged hot air-balloon basket, allowing it to seal up around the group once again safely. Twilight opened her eyes, and couldn't help but gasp in jubilation. It was Adna that threw the heavy basket at the aggressive angels.

"Art thou alright?" it said.

"Yes, w-we're fine for now." Twilight said, "But we can't do anything like this, and we're too far away from Canterlot to get the Elements to help. The best I can do to keep my friends safe is to keep casting this spell, but this is as far as I can take it. If it takes any more punishment, we're toast."

"God speed. I shall do my part then." With that, Adna summoned its staff and charged forth.

Adna headed straight for the nearest brother, striking it viciously with its own staff, and sent it tumbling to the ground below. The pegasus it chased gave a sigh of relief and a thank you to Adna before darting off to help others. On cue, however, another Affinity floated in with a trumpet, and played a forceful tune, gathering miracle energy at its cone, before firing it at Adna. The halo-less angel dodged the attack before it rushed its brother, raising its staff to strike down the attacker.

"Geh loncho?"h it asked in an eerily similar voice as Adna's own, causing the lost angel to pause for a moment. The pause was enough of a distraction, however, as yet another affinity teleported in from its halo, and immediately swung its morning star, striking Adna in the back.

White marble skin and red ichor leaped from the resulting wound as Adna shrieked in agony, but held itself aloft in the sky. Ignoring the pain, it retaliated, swinging its staff proud and true. The resulting thwack caused the affected angel to tumble away unconscious, as Adna turned to the trumpet blower. It backed off, preparing to blow another shot of energy, but Adna sped towards the offending angel and struck away the instrument from its beak before punching it in the face. The Affinity staggered, but recovered quickly, only to receive another brutal hit from the same fist, knocking it out properly.

Adna darted toward another angel that had successfully captured a familiar yellow Wonderbolt with the fiery orange mane, and struck the angel in the back, causing it to release its prisoner. The Wonderbolt in turn whirled around and bucked its failed captor in the chest before giving it a nasty uppercut, knocking it senseless and falling out of the sky.

"Hey, thanks... uh... oh, this must be tough for you, fighting your own guys," Spitfire said, "Honestly kinda glad you're still on our side, though. I know we could use all the help we can get right now."

"Thou hath no time for idle talk," Adna said sternly.

"Oh, right," she said, rubbing the back of her head, "See ya later!" With that, the pegasus raced off to join her fellow ponies in pushing the angels back.

However, before Adna could return to the fray, a new flock of angels teleported to their wayward brother, brandishing their weapons. Adna raised its own staff in defense, before clashing against the first strike, knocking away the trumpet of another, and striking away yet another slash. As Adna desperately parried each attack, another angel dropped in with a morning star in tow, and flicked it so the ball and chain would wrap around Adna's staff, allowing the owner to disarm Adna for its brothers.

Adna lost grip, but before it could get hit by the incoming attacks, it flapped its wings harshly to dash backward and get some distance. The lost angel tried to summon a new weapon, but the sound of a trumpet sung as a ball of miracle energy sailed toward it like a cannon ball, causing it to forgo armament for a speedy dodge. The Affinities then pursued the backed up angel, applying further pressure to get Adna to make a mistake. Before anything could be done, a streak of rainbow cut in, bowling over three of the four angels with incredible force. The tossed messengers of God fell from the sky as Rainbow Dash skidded to a halt and turned to see if her friend was alright.

It was then Rainbow realized her error, as the remaining angel took advantage of the confusion and struck Adna in the side with its own staff, chipping off more marble skin from its body. Adna screeched again, but regained control enough to grip the head of the staff, rip it from its brother's hands, and cross-checked the angel before giving it a swift kick to the chest. It wheezed hard before Rainbow Dash sped forward and delivered a punishing forward buck to the face, cracking its helm and knocking it out. She then turned to Adna once again in worry.

"Sorry," she said genuinely, "I didn't think I'd miss one like that. Will you be ok?"

Adna looked up to Fortitudo, whom still remained floating above the chaos that ensued. Clenching its fist, Adna summoned a new staff. "My brothers will not stop, it seems. Go, defend thy friends. I will try to end this madness."

"What are you going to do?"

But, there was no answer. Adna simply flew up and forth, intending to close in on the Auditio, and do whatever it could to put a stop to what was going on. The mortals could handle themselves for now, it reasoned, but if they are to be saved from this skewed judgement, Fortitudo must be stopped. Even if I must die for it.

Fortitudo noticed the lost angel's approach, and in its wisdom, called back the angels it summoned to intercept Adna. Each angel that was still in combat or hunting one of the pegasi down suddenly stopped and heeded the summon, allowing themselves to ascend into their halos. Said halos then rushed passed Adna and set themselves before Fortitudo like some pseudo-barrier, before the angels then appeared from their rings of light. Brandishing their weapons, they floated in anticipation for the order from their superior. At the same time, Adna witnessed the pegasi that fought off the angels turn to their fellow ponies and helped them seek refuge and protection in case the angels return to attack again.

"Adna," Fortitudo addressed, once again calmly and gently, "Bagle gnay ils biah lap z? Gnay gi ge brin nalvage, q as da blior fafen gahal?"i

Adna clenched its fists. "I see no reason why we should harm these mortals. They have done nothing but good and I have seen as such, while not perfect. Even now, they defend not for honor nor glory, but for their fellow being."

Fortitudo raised its brow, noticing their lost brother has forgone the use of their language. It then replied in its almighty righteousness. "Balzizras trian on de quasb a babalon."j

"And what shall count as wicked? Ignorance to our Father, whom they do not know?"

The Auditio scowled before it roared out a war cry, causing the angels to all attack their lost brother like bolts of a crossbow. Adna raised its weapon before it, and dashed forth to meet its brothers head on. It swung its staff to one incoming attack, parrying it, only to swing again to deflect another. A shot from a trumpet rang out, but Adna was too busy stopping a morning star to see it. The ball of weaponized divinity struck Adna in the wing, clipping of feathers and its marble skin. Adna gritted through the pain, and knocked away the morning star wielder, only to be speared by two more angels with staffs. Red ichor spilled from the wounds as it cried out like a bird in agony while it dropped its own staff. However, Adna persevered, gripping the two weapons and used them to toss aside the angels still holding them, then ripped them from its divine flesh. Discarding its brothers arms, it continued up as fast as its injured and battered wings could go. All along the way, angels attempted to strike Adna down, only managing to damage it further and flay the marble from its body. None of the attacks were enough to stop the angel, as it kept moving, bleeding and tired, its exposed teeth gleamed in the golden light. Its crimson muscles ached under the white binds that held the creature together, while feathers continued to fall from its deteriorating and battered wings. Angels were, in reality, highly grotesque under the marble beauty they exhibit, as the few ponies below managed to see, but none of them would think ill of it. All they saw was a creature standing up for them, and paying hefty tolls.

With one final push, it weakly knocked away one more angel, before floating towards its former superior. However, before it could get close, one last angel rushed from behind and attempted to impale Adna. A harrowing cry of the lost angel's name had Adna turn around in time to notice and attempt interception. Just as it was about to fail, Fortitudo let out another bellow of fury, expanding a dense amount of energy from itself and encased the world around them in a deep golden light, stopping time itself in its place. Adna was stunned from the sudden shift, backing away from the time frozen tip that would have skewered it. Confused, it turned back to Fortitudo and began to float up to it, no longer pressured from its brothers' assaults. Here and now, they were the only two unaffected, certainly by the Auditio's own wish. Adna decided to ignore the strangeness of the moment, and simply take advantage to make its plea.

Weakly, Adna spoke. "Please... leave them be..."

Fortitudo remained silent. The little angel's conviction was astonishing even as it was in such a sorry state, and the superior angel once again sensed no corruption within its brother's soul. Adna was not another angel that had fallen from grace, but perhaps one that was touched by a crowning epiphany, giving it something more in purpose than God's own will. To say the Auditio was impressed at the idea was an understatement. Fortitudo then looked out to the world before it. It had planned on bringing the wayward angel back to heaven and sow the word of God in this untouched world to spread the influence of heaven. It had planned that its brother would join their side without question, and the mortals of this land would be shepherded quickly to be purified. But all plans went awry, and now it beheld a new option. With the option, it encountered an unexpected feeling. The magic in the air did disgust it, but despite the disturbance, it felt more peace here than any place in other mortal worlds that sat so close to heaven. And through the thin clouds their kind brought, it could see a land lush with purity and vitality. It almost lived in harmony with the blasphemous magical energies. It was a strange juxtaposition. The Auditio looked down to its practically flayed brother whom was trying desperately to keep itself together. For the first time in centuries, perhaps millenniums, it smiled genuinely.

"Adna," it addressed, "Geh dlugam ol gono, esiasch."k

Adna sighed, but Fortitudo continued, drawing out a suitable condition.

"Crip, ils trian parach de hami kures. Oi trian il salman. Mirc il teloc, ils alca trian umd; ca babalon q akarinu."l If the world was truly worthy of protection, then Fortitudo figured the lost angel would not mind exile here. Besides, Adna had lost its halo. There needed to be some penance for that mistake.

Adna could barely believe the words it heard, but was relieved enough to gave a weak bow in appreciation. "Thank you."

"Tustax par, harg a mozod nothoa z, ucim, od chirlan!"m With that, all of the fallen brothers were gathered up in a heavenly light, returned to their halos, along with the still able Affinities. As the halos disappeared behind Fortitudo, it too gave out one last blaring cry, breaking its stop of time, and receding through the crack in the sky it came from. When it departed, the hole through the cosmos sealed up, and the sky returned to its clear, blue normal.

Adna gave a weak laugh as exhaustion finally set in, and suddenly dropped from the sky. While it fell, it could hear its name being called by a familiar, rainbow maned pegasus.

Author's Note:

Children of Bodom


a Arise and come forth, brother. Be among thy guard.
b Thy division ends, and thou art among God’s mercy. Come, fly with us and shelter these creatures.
c Thou speak in noises they deliver. Why? Were thou separated for such a great while to not perform our language? Be thou in vexation?
d No.
e Thou speak truth. Hark, thy deed shall be this: Gather these creatures so that we can weed out the wicked and beautify this place.
f Weed out? Does thine intend to deliver death to those whom we see as wicked?
g Yea. In our call of judgement, in God’s name.
h Thou art fallen?
i For what reason does thou stand for them? Do you not have avoidance of earthly things, or was there comfort that exists?
j Judgement shall be made to destroy the wicked.
k Thou art given me faith, brother.
l But, thou shall be equal to creatures here. This shall be thy dwelling-place. Upon thy death, thou judgement shall be called; as wicked or praiseworthy.
m Go before them, plant the joy of God amidst them, frown not, and rejoice!


Why did I make it so that Fortitudo spoke exclusively in Enochian instead of writing purely in English and maybe put them in brackets? It was for the sake of authenticity of the story... also, I thought it would be fitting, since the only other person that knew the language was Twilight (albeit under a different name), but even she was rather limited. I hope you find it interesting, at the very least.

PreviousChapters Next