• Published 12th Dec 2012
  • 5,076 Views, 708 Comments

Elements Change the Dark Hearts - Nightmare_0mega



What Measure is a Monster? When six darkened beings from different worlds and times are brought to Equestria, will they adapt to the peace, or seek to destroy it?

  • ...
7
 708
 5,076

PreviousChapters Next
Karma

The unlikely duo made their way through the tunnel. Truth be told, Rarity felt her renewed freedom felt a tad hollow. She was dirty and grimy, had a hoof in injuring a few dogs that were just following the orders of that mad king, and she couldn't find any comfort in just believing that the dogs left behind would fare well. Not to mention that she never even had a chance to collect a single gem, which made her original intended trip to Whitetail Woods moot. At the very least, she would be able to go home today and see her beloved sister again, which is all that mattered in the end. Musing in the depression and silver linings, she looked to Dumah, whom seemed to be reflecting on things on his own terms, despite keeping focus ahead of himself. The vampire was certainly a hard one to read, especially with the helm that adorned his head, concealing most of his face, but she'd be lying if his red eyes didn't betray his emotions. No matter how intimidating they may look.

As they approached their exit, they noticed the air become gradually and noticeably less arid and stagnant, right up until they stepped outside. Upon meeting the evening sun's waning rays, Rarity took a healthy breath in, relishing in the freshness and freedom of the open air. Dumah winced at the sun slightly, but adjusted quickly enough, silently enjoying the warmth provided. The day was most certainly coming to an end.

Rarity turned to her vampire savior, and looked up his towering frame. "So," she started, not entirely sure where she was going to say. Dumah gazed down to her in response of indirectly addressing him. "What are you going to do now, darling?" she finally asked.

Now that they were finally outside, Dumah could get his bearings. He gazed at the sky for a moment or two, then at the sun, before fixating his attention forward and slightly to the right. With strong conviction, Dumah replied, "I'll be heading north."

Rarity scrunched her face for a moment in thought, before realizing something rather important. "I don't believe I've ever asked you why you wanted to travel in that direction. What do you plan to accomplish going that way?"

"It's familiar... back home, in the northern wastelands, I built a city to house my subjects within the mountains. My kingdom was built on the foundation of the harsh climate and the impenetrable walls of the mountainsides that prevailed the region."

"So, you aim to rebuild a city and reclaim a kingdom deep within the harshest tundra?" she deduced.

Surprisingly, Dumah shook his head. "No. Not yet, at the least... I once believed that, when I first arrived here, but plans have changed. I have had time to think while down in those tunnels." He looked back out to the north with a wistful look in his eyes. "No, my reason to go north now is solitude. To give myself time to think, and find a way to prove myself worthy of regaining the right to reclaim my title and privilege." I refuse to make the same mistake again, he thought bitterly. "My solitude, my reflection in the silence, will by my ozar midrashim."

"You're what?" Rarity asked, confused by the strange words.

Dumah looked back down to Rarity. "My treasury of studies," he said calmly, albeit solemnly. With that, he returned his focus north, steeling his resolve while he still could.

Rarity looked out towards the horizon that Dumah was looking at, and noticed some very familiar hills with very familiar trees. "Is that Sweet Apple Acres? Have we really traveled that far underground?" Her questions were legit, but the mystery lost her interest the moment she realized that her home was merely a hop, skip, and jump away. She was about to leave before she stopped, and looked back to Dumah. Considering his plans to lock himself away for Heaven knows how long, she couldn't just leave him to punish himself like that.

"Dumah, dear, if I may be so bold," she started, walking directly in front of him, "may I ask you to perhaps refrain from going through with your plan?"

Dumah looked down to her, mildly confounded. "For what reason? I do not belong here as I am. My visage isn't common, nor is it comparable to anything remotely close to what I am in your world, as you have stated. My nature would likely drive even the brave into hiding. It would be best if I shut myself away."

"While that's true, I must inform you that you are hardly the strangest or most dangerous being to ever grace this land. Mad gods, chaos spirits, and giant monsters have come before, and likely would come again."

"Never the less, if I am to repair my pride and become what I am meant to be, it would be best if I keep my distance until I know I am worthy enough."

"Pish-posh, darling," Rarity tutted dismissively, "If you wish to do any of that, it might do you some good to engage in some social activity. A King doesn't sit on their throne all day while the rest of society does the work for them. Kings are leaders. They guide and listen to their people for a better tomorrow, and set examples for their subjects. They become ambition and aspiration for those that look up to them. For that to happen, they need to be a part of the society they lead. I strongly insist you abandon this foolish idea of headstrong isolation and consider a better route. Perhaps, say, you could come with me to my hometown, and maybe work on your abysmal socialization?"

Rarity giggled slightly at her insult in jest, but Dumah looked off to the side, pondering the offer. She was right. A king was more than just a figure head that issued commands. A good king listened to his subjects. The fact reminded him of Kain, whom would hold council for Dumah himself and his brothers, where they would discuss everything that they needed, from the mundane to the required, from opinions to subjects of urgency. Not even Kain is my equal, he thought bitterly, realizing the irony in the statement he made to his brother.

Before he could answer, the sound of quick paws hitting the dirt finally reached his ears. As he turned, he noticed three figures approach from the tunnels. Rarity walked out from behind Dumah to see what had caught his attention, only to find the outlines of three Diamond Dogs she knew all too well bounding towards them: one large, one medium sized, and one small. They screeched to a halt, kicking up dust from their abrupt stop, and slowly approached the vampire and mare.

"M-Ms. Rarity?" The mid-sized dog named Rover addressed, forepaws clasped together in pleading.

Remembering the horrible words that Rover spat at her at the beginning of this nightmare, but also recalling the look they sported just before they left the heart chamber, she slowly approached them, nonplussed, but willing to hear them out.

"What do you three need?" she asked, as gently as possible.

Rover stepped forth, wringing his hands in nervousness, trying hard to make eye contact, but having obvious difficulties. "Ms. Rarity," he repeated, "We dogs want to say sorry. Rover said lots of mean things to you. Rover was very stressed then, afraid King would beat me again, and Rover took it out on you. We did wrong to you, and we sorry. Please don't hate us."

Rarity's nonplussed expression melted to a soft smile. "It's alright, darlings. I never knew you had such a beast leading you all. I'm sorry for any wrongs I've placed against you in my ignorance. Let bygones be bygones."

With an expression of relief and joy, Rover barked with enthusiasm. "R-really?"

"Really."

Rover turned to his companions, and the three dogs danced in joy for a few moments. The little moment incited a few giggles from the fashionista, before they stopped, and Rover turned back to Rarity. "Rover ask one more thing, Ms. Rarity."

"What do you wish to ask?"

"Diamond Dogs are making Cerberus work for crimes, so now we have no leader. However, we make commune out of kingdom, and set up trading post here. Trade gems for supplies to find more gems," the red vested dog explained, "Will Ms. Rarity be first customer?"

Rarity was taken slightly aback by the bold proposal. Their first customer, she thought, I don't even know how I could help. She took a slight breath, recollecting herself, and answered them professionally. "Before I agree to this, I must ask. How do you plan on getting your business to flourish. You can't honestly expect me to be your only customer."

Rover opened his mouth to speak, but realized she was correct. They didn't know anyone else that could trade for their gems.

"Further more, what are your prices for the games you are going to sell?"

"That easy one! We trade gems for supplies; clothes, food, tools. Anything we need."

"I was afraid you were being literal. Pony society doesn't work like that I'm afraid. You need to buy those types of supplies with bits, the national currency." The three dogs looked both confused and downtrodden, not knowing how they were going to get these elusive "bits". Rarity smiled warmly. "Don't worry, though. I'm sure I'll be able to find someone willing to trade your gems for a decent price. You can then buy whatever you need in town. And if you can't get it, I'm sure you'd be able to order what you need through form and carriage"

"Erm, thanks?" Rover said, still very confused.

Rarity giggled. "Yes, it is a bit overwhelming, but I promise to walk you through it. You'll do just fine darling. Though, if you need clothing, look no further. I'll be willing to trade any garments for any gems you feel are enough for it."

"Thank you, Ms. Rarity! Thank you!" Just then, Rover motioned to the larger dog to come forth. "We have gift for Ms. Rarity. Fido, give Ms. Rarity sack!"

The large Diamond Dog known as Fido approached Rarity, walking past Rover, and gently placed a pony sized bag in front of her. Undoing the rope, Rarity found that it contained hundreds of gems. More than enough to complete her order. They would need to be sorted properly, but the fact that she got what she needed after all sent her spirits soaring. Beaming at the dogs, she rushed over to them, and gave each of them a tight hug, thanking them over and over again.

After parting from them, Rarity walked back over to the sack and tied it back up. The Diamond Dogs turned to leave, returning to the tunnels below, before the smallest one, named Spot, stopped abruptly and turned back to them.

"Oh, oh! Tell green-." Before he finished, Rover rushed over to him and covered his mouth quickly, before Rarity managed to notice.

"Did you say something, dears?" Rarity replied, still looking at the bag with a slight whimsical daze in her eyes.

Rover muttered in Spot's ears before releasing his muzzle. "Erm, nothing! Thank you Ms. Rarity!"

"You're welcome, darlings," she replied, still gazing at the sack.

The dogs continued leaving, a little quicker this time, finally disappearing into the darkness below the earth. Dumah refrained from commenting, as the situation had fixed itself from what he over heard, despite their efforts to keep it a secret.

Looking to Rarity, he considered the offer she gave. Perhaps it would be better to establish some connection to others, he thought, what's good for the goose...

"Begging your pardon, m'lady," Dumah asks, addressing the mare, "I think I've reached a decision."

Snapping out of her reverie, she turned to Dumah. "Oh? What have you decided?"

"Given the circumstances, that I should perhaps do more to learn of this world, and that it would be best to know my potential subjects better," he started, "I will come with you."

Rarity smiled, pleased that the great vampire set aside the rest of his pride to make an effort to actively change his own life. Maybe now, with this generous offer, he could begin his new life with a more welcoming atmosphere.

"Feeding might be a problem, though," he added.

Rarity blanched for a moment, forgetting his survival requirements were quite dark. "Y-yes, indeed," she managed to utter, "Perhaps it would be best if, maybe, you kept to the Everfree Forest if you do that. Do avoid harassing Zecora or that charming water dragon if you meet them."

Rarity noticed Dumah's confusion, and explained that she'll take him to meet those two one day, so he'd know what to look out for.

"And one more thing, darling," Rarity said, "While I am willing to help give you room and board, we'll need to find a way for you to earn your keep."

"Fair enough," he replied.

Rarity thought for a moment, and realized something, "Darling, you mentioned that the armor you wear was made by 'divine hands', no?"

"I have."

"And, said hands are from your kind." Dumah nodded, waiting for Rarity to reach her point. "If you know how to work metal, maybe you could earn your keep that way? We can help you set shop beside my boutique, and I can ask my new gem clients for any raw metals they might be able to find. It would be a win-win for both of us."

"Intriguing," he said, index claw and thumb gently pinching at his chin. Perhaps I can use it to repair my wears, he thought.

"Do you accept?" She asked finally. Honestly, how could anyone, let alone this ex-vampire lord with nowhere to go and far too much to learn, refuse such a generous offer?

-o-v-o-v-o-v-o-v-o-

Celestia slumped in bed, drained from the events of the day. Day court was bad enough, but summoning the latest edition to her carefully constructed plan was not easy. The land he came from was far out of normal reach, and the natural magics of the location were conflicting and constricting. Something terrible wound tightly like tentacles around the soul she tried to snatch away safely, and fought her attempts every step of the way until she finally managed to pull it free from its world. If it weren't for Discord assisting her, she probably would have failed. There was a piece left behind, however. An ability the soul possessed. Though, whatever it was, it didn't effect the creature she was summoning, and said power would likely fade away in time.

The whole ordeal was utterly taxing, and she had no idea how much more difficult it could get as the moment of prophecy drew ever nearer.

"Knock Knock," sang a kooky voice from within a perfume bottle.

"Not now, Discord," the tuckered out Princess uttered in irritation.

"Oh, come now," he started, snaking out of the bottle like a genie, "It wasn't that bad. Honestly, that overgrown calamari dish was more talk than bite, despite his influence. You got what you wanted, and I got to play a little inter-dimensional arm wrestling to boot."

"It's not that," she admitted. True, it was tiring, but she knew the risks the moment she started doing this, and understood it would likely only get more difficult as she kept it up. But that wasn't the problem that kept her spirits low.

"Is it because you needed me to help in the first place, dear Sun-butt?" he asked with a coo.

"No."

"Perhaps it's because you still feel that this whole thing is your fault despite the fact that you were just a child at the time and had no say over what Daddy would do."

"I-" she started, pausing for a moment, and glared directly at the insane chaos god.

"No, I didn't read your mind, but," he said, snapping his fingers, turning Celestia's face into an open book, "you are just SO much like an open book that I don't NEED to go deep-thought diving."

"Cut it out, Discord," she spat, horn igniting before reversing the trick and turned her face back to normal.

"Well, if this is how you treat your allies," he said with a huff, arms crossed, back turned to her. He then smiled, and twisted his head back towards the alicorn while staying in place. "Though, I understand your irritation. You've got a fair bit on your plate," he said, summoning a silver plate that had miniature versions of a flag of Equestria, Twilight Sparkle with a goofy face, himself, and Elvis giving a thumbs up. "The fate of Equestria, your pupil learning and getting ready to surpass you, me, these new creatures that you summon to play your game. It's all so nerve wracking." With that, he tossed the plate in the air, scattering the tiny figures, which all disappeared in their individual puffs of orange smoke. "But, we are only half done with this game of extra dimensional chess, moving the piece into place and all that, and you need to get ready to give your A-game. I'll continue to be generous enough to lend a hand, mostly because this is FAR too exciting to pass up, but I request that you stop belly aching and show me that same determination you did when you first cast me in stone."

Celestia then picked up a pillow from her bed with her magic, and threw it as hard as she could at Discord, which hit him in the face with a loud moo.

"That's the spirit!" he said with a cackle, before coiling like a snake and disappearing with a puff of green, followed by the sound of maracas.

Celestia let her face hit the bed hard once again. The day had really taken a toll on her, and right now, all she needed was some rest.

"I really, really hope this works," she muttered finally before falling asleep.

Author's Note:

Kamelot

PreviousChapters Next