• Published 3rd Dec 2012
  • 2,496 Views, 79 Comments

Tormented Dreams - Kingsley



Rainbow Dash has recurring dreams every night she goes to bed, what choices will she make?

  • ...
3
 79
 2,496

Chosen

Chapter 1: Chosen




It was a bright and beautiful morning in Ponyville and just like any other normal day in town, ponies were happily conversing and attending to their errands outside. Rainbow Dash, the biggest daredevil in Ponyville, was flying high in sky trying to perfect her signature techniques. After many hours of practicing, she decided to head down to Sugarcube Corner and get a bite to eat with her good, yet annoying, friend Pinkie Pie.

"Hey there Pinkie Pie," Rainbow Dash said, walking inside and noticing that not just Pinkie Pie was there, but all of her friends. "Oh, hi guys, what are you all doing here?"

"Hi Rainbow Dash!" Pinkie said, waving frantically from behind the table. "Great that you could join us!"

"Oh, hi Rainbow Dash." Twilight said. "We were actually just on our way to go and find you."

"Really? What for?" Rainbow Dash asked. "I've been practicing my sick moves all day! I got hungry and thought I might as well have a bit to eat here with Pinkie."

"Actually, I was talking with Pinkie before and she suggested that we invite everypony over for a little get-together," Twilight said. "I guess we don't have to go looking for you now."

Rainbow Dash and everypony else all laughed. She walked over to the table and sat with her friends. Pinkie left and came back with all different types of pies, cakes, and cookies. The six friends conversed and laughed throughout the day, playing games and having fun. When it started to get dark outside, they got out of their seats and retrieved whatever belongings they had and said their goodbyes.

"Well, I'm beat," Applejack said. "Today was a lot fun I'll admit. We should totally do this again tomorrow!"

"I agree, I had a splendid time with you all today," Rarity said.

"Yes, it was actually a lot of fun hanging out with you guys like this," Fluttershy said.

"Yeah, I think we should do this again tomorrow, is that alright with you Pinkie Pie?" Twilight asked.

"Alright with me!? Of course it's alright with me! It's always alright with me! When is not ever alright with me!?" Pinkie said.

"Great!" Twilight said. "Rainbow Dash will you be joining us again tomorrow?"

"Of course I'll come," Rainbow Dash said. "After I finish perfecting my signature moves in the morning, I'll head down there okay?"

"Sounds good," Twilight said. "Well, I'm about ready to go to bed, I'll see you guys tomorrow."

Everypony, except Pinkie, left the building and set out to go back home. Rainbow Dash flew up into the sky and headed to her home in Cloudsdale. When she arrived, she went inside and threw herself on her bed and proceeded to get comfortable.

"Man! What a day," Rainbow Dash said. "Better get some sleep, I got a lot to look forward to tomorrow."

Rainbow Dash yawned and closed her eyes, drifting off into sleep.

________________________________________________

Nightmare - 1st Day
________________________________________________


Rainbow Dash's eye twitched, she drearily woke up and looked around through her blurred vision.

"Ugh...What?...Where am I?..." Rainbow Dash asked, her eyes finally adjusting.

She looked around and noticed that...she was in Ponyville. But something was off. It wasn't the same Ponyville that she knew. The wide patch of ground that she was standing on was floating in mid air, and she could see other pieces floating in the distance, each with a building on it. Rainbow Dash looked up at the sky and noticed that it was red, and the clouds that loomed overhead were completely black and moving at unprecedented speeds.

"W-What is this place?..." Rainbow Dash asked. "I could of sworn I fell asleep in my bed..."

"Well well well...I must say it's so nice to finally meet you!..." a voice said.

"Huh!? Hey! Who's there!? Show yourself!" Rainbow Dash yelled. "I'm not afraid of you!"

Hehehehe!...Looks like I got a feisty one this time!..." the voice said. "Welcome to the World of Nightmares! You may call me...The Adjudicator."

"The Adjudicator? The World of Nightmares? What are you talking about? Who are you!? Where am I-" Rainbow Dash said, interrupted.

"Alright, alright, calm down there, I'm only gonna explain this once so pay attention, okay?" The Adjudicator said. "Now let's start from the beginning...This is the World of Nightmares and I, The Adjudicator, am the one who watches over it."

"The World of Nightmares..." Rainbow Dash said.

"Yes and as its name implies, it's a nightmare. You are dreaming and your real body is still in bed sleeping," The Adjudicator said. "Every night you go to sleep, you will return here from now on...That is until you complete the trials you must face every night."

"Trials? Well...What happens if I fail to complete one?..." Rainbow Dash asked.

"Then you die. Simple as that," The Adjudicator said.

"Die!?" Rainbow Dash said.

"Yep, if you die here you'll die in your sleep in reality," The Adjudicator said. "So, I suggest being as careful as possible..."

"Well...What happens if I complete all the trials?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Then you win and I lose. You'll be free of this place for the rest of your life!" The Adjudicator said. "But that's never happened before! I've haven't come across anyone yet who could complete them all!"

"Never happened before? You mean...This has happened to others?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Of course! Many others beside yourself have been here before, but as I said before...I haven't met anyone who could complete all the trials!" The Adjudicator said, breaking into laughter.

"Well, why me!? Why was I chosen?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"The player is chosen completely at random. I have no control over who it's going to be...You just got unlucky!" The Adjudicator said.

"W-What's the point of this World of Nightmares!? What good does it do!?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"It doesn't do anything! It's just really fun for me to watch!" The Adjudicator said, breaking into laughter again.

Rainbow Dash's body became tense. How could something like this happen to her? Trapped in a recurring nightmare until she completed all the trials!? How does that even make sense!?

"Hey, hey, hey...Don't feel bad. I have the utmost certainty that you'll be the first one to complete these trials..." The Adjudicator said.

"Really? You think I can do it!?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"No! Hahahaha!" The Adjudicator said. "Oh, but this should be fun to watch!"

Rainbow Dash frowned and became angry.

"Oh, yeah!? Well, I'll show you that I'm a lot different from anyone else you've encountered so far!" Rainbow Dash said. "I will complete these stupid trials and I will get out of here!"

"I'll hold you to that...But alas, this was only an introduction to what you must look forward to... " The Adjudicator said. "Oh, and one more thing! When you wake up in reality, you won't remember any of this until you come back the next night..."

"What!? Why!?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Well, I can't have you go blabbing this to your friends right? No, no, no that wouldn't work at all...Hahahaha!" The Adjudicator said.

"But wait! You can't ju-" Rainbow Dash said, interrupted.

"Until tomorrow Rainbow Dash..." The Adjudicator said, breaking into laughter.

Rainbow Dash became light headed and fell to the ground...

_____________________________________________

Reality
_____________________________________________


Rainbow Dash sprung out of bed, sweating all over her body. She felt as if though she had a terrible dream...But she just couldn't put her hoof on it.

"Man...My head is killing me...It feels like I didn't get any sleep at all..." Rainbow Dash said. "What the heck happened last night?..."

Rainbow Dash got up and looked out her window, still pretty tired. She decided to head over to Sugarcube Corner instead of practicing her signature techniques.

"I think I'll skip out on my session today...Might as well head over to Sugarcube Corner early today..." Rainbow Dash said. "I wonder if any of my friends slept just as bad as I did..."