• Published 24th Nov 2012
  • 5,919 Views, 73 Comments

Who Is Twilight Sparkle? - Running From Time



Memory makes up who a pony is. I used to be a unicorn named Twilight Sparkle. Now? I have no clue.

  • ...
11
 73
 5,919

Chapter Two

I slowly walked out into the lobby of the hospital. A sigh escaped my lips. Although I would much rather not be in the hospital any longer, everything else was still completely alien. I didn't even know the way to my own home, for Celestia's sake. How would I do anything else? I lagged out into the town, Ponyville, as I was told. Out of nowhere, I watched a pink blur appear in my face. I sighed, as this could be no one other than Pinkie Pie.

"Yay! Yay! You're out! Yay! Let's have a "Twilight is Out of the Hospital" party! Yeah! It'll be so fun! There will be streamers, balloons, and a big red cake! Yeah!" Pinkie shouted. Pinkie ceased her jumping and muttered to herself, planning out everything. I rolled my eyes.

"Pinkie, I don't need a-" I began, but I was cut off by Pinkie.

"Come to Sugarcube Corner at seven! It'll be a lot of fun, I promise!" Pinkie then proceeded to bounce back to Sugarcube Corner to completely plan out her party. Oh well, I might as well do what she says. First, however, I must navigate my way around Ponyville to my house. I scratched my chin with my hoof. Well, since Ponyville is not too big, finding my home won't be too difficult. I began forwards, hopefully where I was supposed to be heading. What did my house look like anyway? They said it was a big tree. I lived in a tree? If I lived in a library, that means the library was in the tree. Not only that, but I had Spike, a baby dragon that can burn with his breath, living in that house with me. I suppose I was truly overly concerned with safety, wasn't I? I shook my head. No matter, I must find my way.

I kept walking until I got to what appeared to be a farm, with apple trees everywhere. I guessed this was Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack's home. I attempted to look past the farm, if there was any development past it, where my home might be. Past Sweet Apple Acres was only forests, which I assume to be the Everfree Forest. I sighed and sat on my rump. I had absolutely no idea where I was supposed to be going. I'll be honest- I was lost. I was lost in a town that I had supposedly lived in for at least three years. I was about to get up and head in the opposite direction, when I heard hooves hitting the ground behind me, coming towards me. They sounded like very small hooves on a small pony.

"Twilight? What are you doing here? I heard you got out of the hospital, but aren't you going home first? Or are you here to see Applejack for something?" asked the voice of a small filly with a southern accent. I craned my neck to see a creme colored filly with cherry red hair. I guessed she was Applebloom, Applejack's little sister, from what I've heard about her.

"Um... Well... Actually, Applebloom, I, uh, am sort of, well, lost." Applebloom cocked her head to the side in confusion.

"Huh? Why are you lost? Did you-?" The small filly then realized her mistake as she remembered something crucial. "Oh. Right. Sorry, Twilight. I forgot." She cleared her throat. "Um, if you were lost, keep heading in the opposite direction until you come to the town hall. From there take a right. After a little while, you'll be at the library, your home, which is a big tree. You can't miss it." I smiled at Applebloom, who smiled back.

"Thanks, Applebloom. You're really a big help." I got up, and started heading where she told me. "Bye! See you later!"

"See ya at Pinkie's party!" I continued towards my home, which I hoped I would find before I really embarrassed myself.

After not long, I reached my home using the directions Applebloom gave me. Although they weren't quite well explained, they were sufficient, and I was home.

"Wow," I said to myself, "It really is just a big tree." I opened the door with my magic (I learned it while I was bored in the hospital) and trotted inside. Inside was a large assortment of books, everywhere. Well, because it's a library. Spike was in there, behind the desk, sleeping soundly. I giggled. "Spike? I see you're a little tired." He did nothing but shift a little and groan.

"Five more minutes, Twilight..." I rolled my eyes. He probably did this a lot before, since he even says that in his sleep. I walked towards him and poked him.

"Spike? You need to wake up now." Finally, Spike opened up his eyes. He nearly jumped out of his scales when he saw me, and proceeded to fall off his seat.

"T-Twilight! What took you so long? I was getting really worried! You took way too long! What were you doing!" Spike scolded, acting like the last five minutes never happened.

"Well, I... got lost. You see, no one really gave me a map to help me around Ponyville. I ended up walking all the way to Sweet Apple Acres. There, Applebloom told me the way here." Silence filled the room until someone entered, breaking the silence. It was Rarity.

"Why, hello, Twilight. I heard you were released from the hospital today. How are you feeling? Is your memory any better?" she politely asked. She lifted a book out of her saddlebags, and put it on the desk. "I'll be returning A Warm Welcome. It was a very lovely book." Spike then put the white card back into the book. He walked over to the ladder and moved it to get up to where the book belonged.

"I'm doing great, Rarity. My memory is still completely gone, however," I replied.

"Yeah, she's completely fine, other than the fact that she got lost on the way home and had to get directions from Applebloom," Spike interrupted, as he inserted the book into the bookcase, and climbed down the ladder.

"Spike..." I growled, not happy that he shared that piece of information. Rarity looked shocked.

"You couldn't find your way home? That's not good at all! No one gave you a map or instructions at the hospital?" I shook my head. I have no idea if they forgot, or thought that I knew how to get there.

"She walked all the way to Sweet Apple Acres before getting instructions," Spike inserted, walking up to the two of us. Rarity shook her head.

"Oh dear, that will not do at all. You do know how to get to Sugarcube Corner for the party, though, right?" Rarity inquired. I thought for a moment, thinking about everything that I passed that might have been Sugarcube Corner. I vaguely remembered a building that appeared as it it was made of sweets. Assuming that was it, I nodded my head, trying to make myself not look stupid. "Well, that's good. See you at the party, Twilight! Hope your memories return soon!" Rarity left the library. A question that really should have appeared much earlier popped up in my brain.

"Wait... How did Pinkie get all the invitations around so quickly?"





I walked up to the building that I vaguely remembered as the one that appeared to be made of sweets. I gulped and really hoped it was Sugarcube Corner. I stepped inside, and it was dark. The door close behind me, and other than the creaking of the door, there was nothing other than silence and blackness. Oh, great. It's either I just trespassed into some idiot's house, or everyone's going to jump out and yell "Surprise!" Unfortunately, my fears were confirmed. The surprise party bit, that is. The lights were suddenly flicked on and everypony at that party jumped out and yelled, "Surprise!" Music came on, streamers flew, balloons were released to the ceiling, and snacks were given out. Pinkie Pie bounced up to me with her bubbly randomness.

"Hey, Twilight with no memory! We're all glad you're out of that hospital and walking around and stuff! Hope my Pinkie party helps you with your problems and stuff and makes you all happy!" After saying her piece, she proceeded to stuff her face with cupcakes. I rolled my eyes, and went over to a different snack table, where, as Pinkie had talked about, red cake was being served. I wondered how much coloring it needed to be so red. I ate it anyway, and to be honest, it was really delicious. It was practically food from heaven compared to the hospital meals.







In not too long, most of the guests had left, and I was stuffed. The only ponies left were Pinkie, Rainbow, Fluttershy, and I. Applejack and Rarity had to leave to make sure their little sisters went home at eight. It was now nine. All of us were pretty tired, and I was pretty much ready to puke from all of the food I ate. I'll have to admit that their food is probably the best I've ever tasted. Or at least the best I remember tasting. Anyway, we all had to head home eventually, so we left.

When I got to the library, I climbed up the stairs to get to my bed. I realized that the upstairs area was completely unexplored so far. The room was connected to a kitchen and a bathroom, which did have a door. In the same room, stairs led up to two beds. Wait, make that three. Spike's little bed was right next to one of them, so I guessed that one was mine, and the other was a guest bed. When I got to the top, I saw little Spike sleeping soundly in his bed. I smiled at how adorable he looked, curled up in his bed. I climbed into bed. Before drifting off, I wondered a little about everything. I peered over at Spike, who was snoring. What was my relationship with Spike? Were we really close friends? Did I feel motherly towards him? Or was he more like a younger brother? I thought of all my friends. When did I meet them? How close was I to them? Were they good friends? My mind drifted to everything I couldn't remember, which was pretty much everything. I wondered about my family and parents. I wondered about my supposed big brother, whom I adored very much, and his wife, Cadence. What were they like? Why does it make me so sad I can't remember all of the important things in my life? I turned around and groaned. Why did this have to happen? Why couldn't I have just, you know, kept all of my memories? Why did this happen to me? Wouldn't it be easier if I was dead? I wouldn't be so confused and angry. I'd know why I was dead, and I would be fine with it! However, my mind drifted to those important to me, like my friends and family. How would they react to my death? If they were truly as good as friends or family as I am told, they would be heartbroken. They would all no longer have Twilight Sparkle in their lives. I sighed. They don't have their Twilight Sparkle. They just have a mare who looks and sounds like her, but really isn't her. I'm not really Twilight Sparkle. Am I? Oh, I hate this. I hate everything! I hate it! I sat up in my bed.

"I hate all of this mess! Why did this happen? Why did I lose my memories in this first place?! Augh!" I yelled, completely distraught. Spike's snoring came to a halt, as he woke. I put my hoof over my mouth.

"Twilight... I'm trying to sleep," Spike groaned. He turned around and put the blanket over his face.

"Sorry, Spike." He grunted. I immediately lay back down, and tried to sleep, rather than keeping myself awake. I opened my eyes, and turned to the window. Huh. Is every night going to be like this? Wondering about the mare I used to be, and how she saw everything else? I closed my eyes and just let all of my thoughts disappear, as I drifted off into sleep.