• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 1,701 Views, 61 Comments

Fire and Brimstone, Book 1 - BluePhoenyx



An ancient, forgotten breed of ponies from the underworld live in constant war and chaos.

  • ...
4
 61
 1,701

Chapter 10: The Pristine

As the sun drew closer to the horizon, Twilight Sparkle returned to Sweet Apple Acres to see how Applejack and Crimson were getting along. She saw the two sitting on top of a hill watching the sun set. She smiled as she walked up from behind.

“… And the cold does not affect your apple farm?” Crimson asked Applejack as he looked up at the darkening sky.

“Nah, not unless there’s a lot of it.” Applejack replied with a piece of straw in her mouth.

“Hey you two.” Twilight walked up to the two and looked at the sunset.

Applejack looked over at Twilight. “Hey, Twilight.”

“Ms. Twilight Sparkle.” Crimson quickly stood up and bowed. “I am sorry for-“

Twilight whipped her head at Crimson. “How many times to I have to say it?” Her expression lit up. “No need to be formal.” Crimson, with his head still bowing, looked up at Twilight. “Like I’ve said before, just call me ‘Twilight.’”

“As you command.” Crimson humbly said as he gave a deeper bow.

Twilight turned and took a half a step toward Crimson. “And why do you do that?”

“And what do ya mean by, ‘as you command’ anyhow?” Applejack chimed in.

“I do not wish to upset my captor and master.”

“What?” Applejack and Twilight asked at the same time.

“But the law of your land, I have been placed under your command. I am to do as you say and no-“

“You can stop right there.” Twilight stated as she took a few steps toward the subservient pony. She lifted her hoof and put it under Crimson’s chin to lift his head. “I’m not your master.”

Crimson’s eyes gazed up at Twilight. “But your laws-”

“They just want you to stay out of trouble.” Twilight said. “You’re a free pony. After the trial, you were never forced to stay here.”

“Free?” Crimson asked. “I am free?”

Applejack smiled still chewing on the straw. “Always have been.”

Crimson stood silent, trying to figure out these strange pony’s ways.

Twilight turned around. “Come on. I think Rarity would love to see your jewelry.” She looked back. “If you want, that is.”

Crimson looked up at his mane towards his hair trinkets.

Applejack waved. “Nice meet’n ya, Crimson.”

“It was my pleasure.” Crimson bowed to Applejack.

Applejack lightly blushed. “Shucks.” Crimson stood up straight then turned to catch up to Twilight.

* * *

Twilight opened the door to Rarity’s Bridal Boutique. “Hello?” Crimson peeked inside the circular room with strange, rolled up cylinders and folded objects. Rarity worked on a dress on a mannequin in the middle of the room.

“Hi, Twilight.” Rarity looked through her glasses as she worked diligently on a dress design. “Be right there.”

Twilight entered the shop, followed by the dirt and soot covered Crimson. He looked in awe at the shop and at the various colors and the hanging materials. Crimson walked toward one of the hanging materials and touched it with one of his dirty hooves. “What is…” He stared in confusion and delight.

Twilight looked behind her to see him touching the cloth. She walked up beside him. “What’s wrong?”

Crimson slowly and softly touched the hanging cloth. “What is this material?”

“This is what Rarity uses for the dresses she makes.”

“Oh, drat!” Rarity exclaimed. Twilight turned and went over to Rarity. “Twilight, be a dear and hold this for me.”

As Twilight helped Rarity with a dress she’s making, Crimson walked over to a different texture hanging from a wall and started to feel it with his hoof. His eyes lit up as he gave a faint smile in awe of this soft and comfortable feeling.

Soon after, a customer walked into Rarity’s boutique with a sad look about him. Rarity lightly turned her head and saw the customer from the corner of her eye. “Thanks, Twilight.” She said, taking off her glasses. She presented the dress to the customer as Twilight walked back to Crimson. “Here you go.”

“Uh…” The customer looked at the dress. “Something came up….”

Twilight looked at Crimson, who was now rubbing his face against a piece of silk. She leaned over to him. “What are you doing?”

Crimson looked at Twilight. “I am sorry. I have never felt such a material in my life.” He looked over at the customer, who was talking to Rarity. “What protection does this material serve?”

“Excuse me?”

“This material. It is soft yet thin. The garment being made would offer no protection.”

Twilight tilted her head. “Protection from what?”

“In combat.”

“Oh.” Twilight said with a light chuckle. “Don’t you have dresses and suits for casual non-combat occasions?” Crimson shook his head.

“… So we used the money on the dress for that instead.” The customer explained to Rarity. “So, I’m sorry. I can’t afford it.” Crimson and Twilight looked toward Rarity and the customer.

“Oh, I see.” Rarity looked up and thought to herself for a moment. “Well I can’t let this dress just sit here.” She used her magic, put the dress in a box, then wrapped it up in a bow. “Here you go. No charge.” She hand the wrapped dress to the customer.

The customer looked shocked at the generous gift. “Really?”

“It would just take up so much space.” Rarity explained, trying to make up an excuse. “I’m sure it would look more lavishly on your wife than hung up in storage.”

“Oh, thank you!” The customer grabbed the box. “My wife will be so happy!”

“And I KNOW she’ll look stunning.” Rarity added.

Crimson leaned to Twilight. “I do not understand. She gave the customer the garment for free?” The happy and smiling pony walked passed the two and left the shop with Rarity’s gift. “The work she put into that garment, how can she just give her products away without payment?”

“Kindness and generosity doesn’t need a reason.”

“I’m sorry, dear. I just had to-“ Rarity stopped in mid-sentence as she looked upon the horror of her shop. “This is dreadful!” She put a hoof over her eyes. “Out of all of the things that have happened, this… is… THE WORST!” She stood on her hind hooves as her horn glowed purple. A cushion slid behind her to catch her as she falls backwards to the ground, landing on the cushion.

“Are you okay?” Twilight ran to Rarity.

“Oh, the horror!” Rarity dramatically said.

“What is?”

“The dirt!” Rarity lifted her head and looked at Crimson. Twilight looked over to see what she’s looking at.

“Oh.” She said as Crimson looked himself over. Twilight and Rarity looked around the shop to see Crimson’s dirt and soot everywhere and on everything. Crimson realized the mess he made.

“I-“ Crimson looked around. “I am sorry. Forgive me.”

“This is absolutely dreadful!” She stood up and walked over to Crimson.

“Please allow me to clean up this mess.” Crimson started to bow.

“You need a bath!” Rarity started to push Crimson through her shop into another room.

“What?” Crimson looked behind him at the urgently shoving Rarity. “A b.. A bath?”

“Yes, a bath!” Rarity pushed him next to the tub.

He looked over at Twilight. “I do not understand.” Rarity started to fill the tub. “How can she offer me a commodity as magnificent and rare as a bath after how I have wronged her?”

“That’s just who she is.” Twilight turned around and left the room.

Rarity turned off the water and dipped her hoof into the bath water. “Perfect~” She started to leave the room behind Twilight.

“This is truly a kind gift.” Soot fell from his mane on the floor as Crimson humbly bowed.

“Oh, uh… No problem.” Rarity cringed from the pony’s dirt. “I want you to be spotless. Come on out when you’re done.” She left the room.

* * *

Rarity and Twilight talked while they cleaned the shop as Crimson cleaned himself up. Twilight gave a brief explanation on what she found out about their visitor, and his even stranger ways.

“And when he apologized, he pulled out a knife for Applejack to cut him.” Twilight said as she hangs up some cloth. “He said it was for payment of his misdeeds.”

“Oh my, how horrible.” Rarity replied as she folded a long piece of cloth.

“But you should see his-“

Crimson entered the room from the back.

“I hope I have cleaned myself up to your expectations.”

Rarity looked over and sees Crimson’s majestic and shining coat, his flowing mane and tail, the care he took in his personal grooming, his posture, and his armor. She saw a well-mannered and noble knight with a well-kept stature, and not the dirt covered mercenary she first saw when he entered her shop. “Why yes, yes you have.”

Crimson walked up to Rarity. “I am deeply sorry for my impenitence. Please forgive my wrong doings.”

“Oh, it’s alright.” Rarity replied. “Just don’t pull out that kni-“ She stopped in mid-sentence as she caught a glimpse at something in Crimson’s hair. She looked closely at the jewelry in his mane. Crimson lightly recoiled as Rarity got closer to him. “These are fabulous!” She looked at the fine details in the artifacts.

Twilight walked up to Rarity, who was closely examining Crimson’s trinkets. “I actually wanted to show you these. I thought you’d like it.”

“And you were right. Where ever did you get these?” Rarity lifted a hoof to touch one of them.

“I crafted and enchanted them myself. They help guard me against the elements.”

“I have never seen such craftsmanship.” Rarity stared, admiring Crimson’s work. “You must show me how you made these.”

“These?” Crimson gestured to the trinkets in his mane.

“Yes, those.”

After a brief pause, Crimson looked at Rarity with a smile. “It will be an honor and a privilege to teach you.”