• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 1,701 Views, 61 Comments

Fire and Brimstone, Book 1 - BluePhoenyx



An ancient, forgotten breed of ponies from the underworld live in constant war and chaos.

  • ...
4
 61
 1,701

Chapter 1: The Cause

“How does he keep getting out?” Rainbow Dash said as her purple eyes widened in surprise. She stretched her light blue pegasus wings, barely swerving around caramel clouds that suddenly formed from out of nowhere. Her rainbow colored tail got caught in one of the clouds and splashed caramel on her rainbow cutie mark.

“I don’t know, but this is get’n down right ridiculous!” Applejack said in her southern accent as she tried to free herself from the adhesive mud at her hooves. Her orange coat and her apples cutie mark got muddied up with this rather unusual bonding agent, and her blonde hair was a mess. “My hat!” She gasped as it fell from her head and in the mud just inches from her reach. “Rainbow, I sure could use some help here!” She yelled as she stretched forward, trying to grab her hat with her teeth.

“I’m tryi-“ Rainbow Dash flew head first into a cloud of caramel. She tried to yell for help but came out all muffled.

Applejack looked up at the sky as a loud, ominous laughter boomed from all around. “What a ‘sticky’ situation you’re all in.” The voice said. Applejack rolled her eyes at the cheesy pun. “I hope your other friends are doing better than you.”

“Twilight, where are you?” Applejack said as she looked towards the nearby river that has been turned into cake frosting. A purple coated pony with a purple mane popped up from under the frosting and tried to swim to the river shore with a golden necklace in her mouth. “Twilight!” Applejack yelled as the purple pony spits out the golden necklace on the river bed.

“Found it!” She yelled. Her horn glowed and a beam of light shot from her horn up to the caramel cloud. The cloud turned back to a normal cloud. Rainbow Dash flew up coughing and gagging. “Rainbow Dash, help Applejack! I have to get to the library!” Twilight said as she picked up the necklace and started to run towards Ponyville.

Applejack stretched again to reach her hat as Rainbow Dash dove towards Applejack to free her from her trap. She grabbed Applejack and used her momentum to pull her free. Applejack’s teeth gripped her hat as they both tumble to the ground. “Come on!” Rainbow Dash said and she starts to fly towards Ponyville. Applejack coughed as she spit out the part of her hat she was able to get a hold of. She looked at the hat which had a bite mark in it.

“Dang it!” She grunted in frustration. She got to her hooves and she started to run to catch up to Twilight Sparkle.

Meanwhile, Rarity pouted and struggled to get her tangled purple mane that is usually immaculate out of a thorn bush. Her pristine white coat was full of thorns - enough thorns to almost cover her three diamond cutie mark. Her blue eyes looked up, trying to see the condition of her hair. “Aww, this is going to take hours to brush out!” Rarity said as she uses her magic to bend and twist the thorn bush to her will, trying to free herself.

Fluttershy, who was hiding behind a tree, jumped with fear when her pink tail got pulled. She flew in the air with her pegasus wings and looked to see what touched her. “Oh my.” She said in a soft, near whispering voice. Little wind up chattering teeth pour from a hole in the tree moving toward any pony nearby. Then her three butterfly cutie mark came to life and started swarming all over her, gnawing at her yellow coat. In horror, she started to panic and flew away to escape her cutie mark’s vicious attack.

Pinkie Pie sat at a table having a tea party with some of the chattering teeth, two living dumb bells, and a patch of grass that for some strange reason had come to life. “We need cake!” She said as she bent down under the table, then she pulled a cake out from under the surface. She set it in the middle of the table and the chattering teeth jumped into the cake, like crazed demons devouring the sweet desert. Cake got all over Pinkie Pie’s pink coat and mane. “DELICIOUS!” She exclaimed as she and the other guests at the table joins in on the feast.

Rarity finally got free and ran towards Pinkie Pie. She stopped way short as she realized that cake was flying everywhere. “Such a mess.” She leaned forward and tentatively reached in with a hoof while standing as far from the table as possible. Dodging projectile cake goodness, she lunged forward, then pulled Pinkie Pie away from the table. “Fluttershy needs our help.”

The two ponies ran behind the tree where Fluttershy was last seen. They paused for a moment as they saw Fluttershy whistling at the vicious butterflies. They landed on her and relaxed as she calmly and carefully pets one on her hoof.

“Fluttershy!” Rarity yelled.

“Oh. I’m sorry, Rarity. I was just-“ She said as she gently let the butterfly fly off.

“Nevermind that. We have to find the last one!” Rarity said as she stomped a hoof on the ground.

“I already found it.” Pinkie Pie said as she reaches her hoof over and pulled a golden necklace out of nowhere.

“What? Why didn’t you say anything?” Rarity asked angrily.

“Because I had cake! You can never have enough cake.” Pinkie Pie said with a smile.

“Urg!” Rarity said as she flipped her hair.

“Look out!” Fluttershy loudly whispers to warn the other two ponies as the chattering teeth hopped towards them, getting ready to gnaw at their hooves.

“Let’s get back to Ponyville and end this disaster so I can fix my hair.” Rarity said and the three ponies make their way towards Ponyville to meet up with the others with the chattering teeth following.

* * *

The six arrived in Ponyville to see the chaos Discord has released to its citizens. Trees turned to puffy shorts, grass was uprooted and chased Ponyville’s citizens, houses turned inside out, the clouds turned to caramel, and the water was cake frosting. They rushed through the town to the library where Twilight Sparkle resided. They burst in and close the door behind them.

“Spike, we’re here!” Twilight announced.

“Oh, hi you guys.” Spike said. The tiny purple dragon ran up with a box, his green spikes sticking up. His green eyes sparkled when he opened the box to reveal three other necklaces similar to the two Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie brought with them and one golden tiara.

“Good job, every pony!” Twilight said as she and Pinkie Pie put the necklaces in the box.

“YAY! We have a matching set!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed, bouncing up and down.

“That’s nice, but let’s get this craaaziness over with.” Rainbow Dash said, crossing her arms.

“Ugh, what I wouldn’t do for a nice, hot bath.” Rarity said brushing her hair.

Spike got lost in a daze staring at Rarity as Twilight took the box from Spike. “Alright, now let’s get this over with.” Twilight said as the six head for the door.

* * *

The six ran towards the town square where the fountain was. Discord, the Spirit of Chaos, sat on a throne of cake frosting and jelly beans. His grey dragon head looked into a mirror his gryphon right claw held, sucking on a grape popsicle in his left paw. He crossed his goat left leg over his dragon right leg while his pink serpent tail swung to the sounds of chaos from the shouts all around the town. He let go of his frozen snack and started to slick back his antler and unicorn horn on his head. His yellow eyes lit up when he saw the six approach him from behind in his mirror.

“Well now, this is a surprise.” He said as the frosting seat rotated. “Come again to play more games?”

Frustrated, Twilight slammed the box down on the ground and kicked open the lid.

“Oh dear. What ever shall I do?” Discord said sarcastically, tossing the mirror to the side with a smile. The mirror hits the ground, but didn’t break. Instead, the ground shook and split under the mirror, creating a very deep crack under the box, making it fall freely into the earth.

The six jumped back to dodge falling into the crack, but then they look at the box. “NO!” The six friends yelled as they all reached their hooves down the crack to try to catch it. Twilight’s horn glowed as she started to use telekinesis to lift the box.

“Ah-ah-ahh!” Discord said and turned her horn into a gummy worm. “That’s cheating.”

“I’ll get it!” Rainbow Dash said as she flew as quickly as possible down the open earth.

“Well, since she LOVES to fly, let’s ground her.” Discord said as he started to laugh maniacally. The ground started to slowly close as the box fell deeper into the earth.

“Rainbow Dash, get out of there!” Twilight yelled down the crevice. Before she knew it, Rainbow Dash and the box were out of her sight.

“Oh no!” Fluttershy said as the crack got smaller and smaller. The five ponies watched and waited quietly, scared of Rainbow Dash’s fate. Suddenly, a rainbow shot from out of the ground with a loud and deafening boom a second later. A shock wave of rainbow exploded at ground level creating a nova of light and color that knocked the five friends down, and caused Discord to tumble off of his disintegrating throne. Twilight Sparkle’s horn turned to normal from Discord’s disorientation as Rainbow Dash slowed her velocity in the air, holding the box in her hooves. She landed near the five friends and opened the box.

“Let’s do this thing!” She exclaimed as she tossed a necklace to each of the girls. Dazed and stunned, they stood up and put the necklaces on their necks, while Twilight put the tiara on her head.

Slow to recover, Discord turned around just in time to see Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie float in the air with a bright light glow all around them. Twilight Sparkle’s eyes lit up with a similar light as a rainbow shot from her horn up high into the air, arch over the clouds, and hit Discord.

“NOOOOOoooooo!!” Discord yelled as his body once again started to get petrified. “Not agaiiii-“ Discord was cut off as he completely turned to stone. With Discord in the middle, a gigantic rainbow sphere blasted from his position, engulfing all of Ponyville. Everything the rainbow touched dispelled Discord’s chaotic enchantments. The six friends slowly fell to the ground as the light faded away.

“Phew, let’s not do that again.” Applejack said in a sigh of relief.

“I know!” Rarity added. “My manicures just can’t handle it.”

“Good job, every pony.” Twilight said as she took off the tiara with telekinesis from her horn.

They all looked around to see that Ponyville is back to normal… ish.