• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 1,700 Views, 61 Comments

Fire and Brimstone, Book 1 - BluePhoenyx



An ancient, forgotten breed of ponies from the underworld live in constant war and chaos.

  • ...
4
 61
 1,700

Chapter 15: The Gathering

The sun rose to the crest in the sky. Crimson and Rainbow Dash sat on the edge of a cloud and talked about various adventures each of them had. Twilight’s balloon levitated to the cloud and she anchored the balloon down. Crimson’s ear twitched as Twilight hopped out of the basket and trotted to the two.

“Well, it seems that all is well.”

Crimson stood up as Rainbow Dash used her wings to have her hover in the air. “You bet! This pony is awesome!”

“Crimson, Princess Celestia asked me to document your adventures. Do you mind?”

Crimson lightly shook his head. “Not at all.”

“Oh my gosh, he has the best adventures!” Rainbow Dash said excitedly. “Danger, excitement, deception, adventurous, fierce…”

“Exactly.” Twilight nodded, looking at Rainbow Dash. “It’s the world that he came from that she wants to know about. You know, you can come with if you’d like to hear more of his stories.”

“That’ll be awesome!”

“Great! Would you mind telling the rest of the girls about the get-together at my place?”

“Sure thing.” Rainbow Dash bolted toward Ponyville, leaving nothing but a rainbow trail behind.

“You sure are leaving an impression on everypony.” Twilight turned toward the balloon.

Crimson trotted next to Twilight. “I am glad you all approve.”

Twilight smiled. “I think you more than ‘approve’ on a few of them.” The two hopped into the balloon’s basket. “So how are you liking Ponyville?” She used her magic to release the balloon from the cloud.

“I do not know.” Crimson stared at the town below. “It is different, but it also feels the same.”

“Oh.” Twilight looked over at Crimson. “Is that good or bad?”

“I do not know.” Crimson started to stare off at the horizon. Twilight turned her head and watched with him.

Twilight landed the balloon and the two hopped out. They started to walk through Ponyville in a strange silence.

Twilight turned her head towards Crimson. “How are your burns?”

“They are fine.”

Twilight looked back at Crimson’s burned wings. “I hope the ointment I mixed helps.”

“I am sure it does.” Twilight looked ahead of her and another awkward silence ensued. “Is… something wrong?”

Crimson stopped in his tracks and Twilight stopped next to him. “This land, it is… strangely familiar.”

Twilight turned to look at Crimson. “What do you mean?”

“The colors and the environment are different, but I feel deep down everything else is the same.”

She walked next to Crimson curious at what’s on his mind. “How so?”

“Well… For instance, the powerful live in a more luxurious place than the weaker. The land is ruled by a single entity. You have your royal guards so that means your lands may be threatened. Ponies try to abuse other ponies for power.” Crimson looked at Twilight. “This land has the potential of being no different than the one I came from.”

Twilight looked confused, and a little disturbed. “That’s a little dark, don’t you think?”

“As much as I would like to see a different world, I do not think such a world exists.” Crimson continued walking through Ponyville.

Twilight turned and trotted a few steps to catch up to Crimson. “But not all ponies are like that!”

“You are right. You and your allies are the best ponies I have ever had the honor of meeting.”

“You keep saying that. You know you’re our friend, not just an ‘ally’ of yours.”

“Do you define ‘friend’ and ‘ally’ as two separate entities?” Crimson asked.

Rarity walked around a corner to see Twilight and the glamorous and noble pony. “Hello, dear!” Rarity trotted up to the two with grace and beauty.

“Hi Rarity.”

“Ms. Rarity.” Crimson bowed in her presence.

Rarity noticed Crimson’s bandages on his wings. “Oh my gosh, what happened?”

Twilight took a step forward in excitement. “You should have seen him, Rarity! He charged into the forest fire to save some of Fluttershy’s friends.”

Rarity batted her eyes. “You’re so brave.”

“We’re on our way to the library to document his adventures. You want to come with us?”

“That sounds marvelous.” Rarity smiled and the three turned to continue to head toward the library.

Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Applejack waited at the library door when they saw Crimson, Rarity, and Twilight in the distance. “There he is!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

Twilight looked at Crimson with a smile. “You’re our guest of honor already.”

The six grouped up at the entrance and greet each other. Twilight opened the library door and they started to go inside. “Hey, where’s Pinkie Pie?”

Books fell off the bookshelf as Pinkie Pie’s head popped out from behind the books. “Here I am!”

“Spike, get me an empty tome and an ink and quill.” Twilight called out as the ponies settle down. “… Spike?” Twilight looked around. “Spiiiike?” Twilight got up and started to look around the library. Then she stumbled at an opened scroll. “Hey, it’s a letter from the castle.” Her horn glowed and the scroll levitated in front of her. Twilight started to read the scroll. The more she read, the more she seemed distraught. “Girls! We have to go!”

The six looked up at Twilight.

“What’s wrong, suga?” Applejack asked.

Twilight jumped on her hooves and went down to the door. “Something’s going on at the castle. We have to go!” The six left and Crimson sat in the library. Twilight poked her head inside the library. “You coming?”

Crimson looked up at Twilight, then walked out to follow her.

The ponies looked at Canterlot in the distance. “It looks like yer brother’s shield is up.” Applejack said.

Twilight walked next to Applejack. “Looks like we’ll need to take the train.”

* * *

The seven reached the Ponyville train station. Being used to the train, the six friends just went about their business. Crimson walked up and stood silently. His ear twitched as he turned his head. He peeked his head up and started to look around. He noticed something in the distance. “What is that?” He looked toward the six, who didn't seem to notice anything. He looked back down the long path at the large charging entity that approached at high velocity. Crimson cautiously took a step back when he realized it was heading straight at him. He jumped back alarmed, with his horn glowing as the train rushes passed them. A gust of wind hit everyone as the loud, high pitch scream erupted from the monster. The gears grinned as the train’s breaks locked, making the train come to a stop. The steam rushed out as the smoke stack idled out.

“Good, it’s here.” Twilight turned her head to see Crimson ready to pounce with a glowing red circle pulsating around him. He looked at the steel demon as it breaths its steam and smoke and its screeching roar. She walked up to him and put a hoof on his shoulder. He snapped his head in alarm at Twilight as she smiled. “Relax, Crimson.” The glowing red circle diminished when he saw Twilight's calming smile. "That’s our train.”

Crimson calmed a bit. “Train?”

“Yeah, it’s our ride to Canterlot.”

The monster let out a sigh of relief as the doors opened. Pinkie Pie exited the train with a party hat on her head and a noise maker in her mouth. “Party over here!” Pinkie blew the noise maker with a smile.

Crimson blinked and looked around in confusion as he could have sworn Pinkie Pie was only a few feet away from him. The ponies boarded the train and they got ready to go to Canterlot.