• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 1,700 Views, 61 Comments

Fire and Brimstone, Book 1 - BluePhoenyx



An ancient, forgotten breed of ponies from the underworld live in constant war and chaos.

  • ...
4
 61
 1,700

Chapter 16: The Heartbroken

The train rushed through the mountains and over fields as it headed towards Canterlot. The train car seemed unusually empty and quiet as the seven sat in their seats wondering what was going on, and why they were summoned to the castle on short notice. The train passed through the protective dome that shielded Canterlot from outside magic.

Applejack looked at Twilight, who was staring outside the car window. “You gonna tell us what the letter said?”

Twilight looked at Applejack, and then looked at every other pony in the car. “In short, it read that there was something strange going on and the princess requested our immediate and urgent presence at the castle.”

“Maybe she wants to throw a part for Crimson!” Pinkie Pie put on a party hat and grabbed a couple of maracas from behind her back.

“Or maybe a fashion show of epic and divine proportions!” Rarity started to look out the window in a day dream. She smiled at the thought of her designs being used down the runway, the publicity her work would get, and the princess personally congratulating her and wearing her gowns. The bright and vibrant colors in her dream started to desaturate as it snowed on her fashion show.

“Rarity!” Twilight shook Rarity out of her daydream.

“Huh?” Rarity blinked in confusion as Twilight pointed outside the window.

“Look!”

Rarity looked outside as the scenery turned from a clear and sunny day to a grey and musty scene. A strange fog covered the train. The closer they got to the castle, the thicker this strange fog got.

Rarity gasped. “What is this ghastly fog?”

“I don’t know, but I don’t like it.” Twilight looked outside with Rarity and the other ponies at the curious fog.

The train slowly came to a stop, punching a hole in the cloud of gray dust. Again, the metal monster released its loud screech, then the engine released steam as the cars lined up with the train station platform. The train conductor looked outside his window to see the empty train station, the rock and rubble, the damaged architecture, and the strange statues that weren’t there when he left the station earlier that day. The train car doors opened and the seven ponies left the train car one by one. With each step, hoof prints were left in the dust that covered the platform floor. The fog and strange gray dust limited long distance visibility, giving a light gag with each gust of wind.

Applejack looked at the gray dust covered ground. “What the hay is going on here?”

Rarity steped in place trying to get the dust off her hooves. “Ugh, did the janitors go on strike?”

Pinkie Pie jumped on her back and starts making angels in the pseudo-snow while Crimson looked around at the statues with worry.

Twilight started to leave the station. She turned around at the six standing at the station. “Come on, let’s get to the castle.” Pinkie Pie jumped to her hooves and caught up as the other ponies closely followed.

The group headed to the outer gate. The gates remained open and the guards stood at their posts. The group walked up to the guards as they notice something wasn't right. Then, the six gasped as they looked at the stone statues.

“I knew it!” Twilight took a step back. “Something IS wrong!”

Rainbow Dash looked at Twilight. “Yeah, they’re all statues.”

“Just like the cockatrice.” Fluttershy hid behind Twilight.

“Yeah, just like the cockatrice.” Twilight looked around at the damage all around her. “But something doesn’t seem right.”

Applejack walked up to Twilight. “Can ya turn them back?”

“I’ll try.” Twilight pointed her horn at the statue. The horn glowed as she put her energies into the spell. Her body quivered, then the light from the horn fades. Twilight panted, trying to catch her breath. “No, it’s too strong.”

Applejack turned her head toward Crimson. “What about you, Crimson?”

Crimson shook his head. “I am sorry, I cannot.”

“Shucks.” Applejack looked back at Twilight.

Fluttershy came out of hiding and walked up to a statue. “We can’t just leave them here.”

Twilight looked at Fluttershy. “We have to.” She started to take a couple of steps toward the castle. “We need to get to the princess.”

The ponies turned and headed through the outer gates toward the inner gatehouse. They all looked around to see more and more statues of guards and civilians all over the castle. They went through the open gates of the gatehouse and headed into the courtyard.

“Look.” Twilight said, observing some of the statue’s postures and gestures. The seven went to a statue with a horrified look about their face. “It looks like it wasn’t just a sudden spell but an attack.”

“That is true.” Crimson commented. “These unfortunate souls saw what was coming for them.”

“Twilight! Check this out.” Rainbow Dash hovered over markings in the ground, looking closely at their shape. The ponies went to Rainbow Dash to inspect the markings on the ground.

Applejack looked down at the ground. “Those’re tracks.”

“Yeah, and not cockatrice tracks.” Twilight looked at the tracks in thought. “Whatever this thing is, it’s huge!”

Rainbow Dash looked closer at the tracks. “… I think I’ve seen these before.”

Twilight looked up to Rainbow Dash in question. “Where? I’ve never seen these before.”

“The crater.”

The six ponies looked over at Crimson. “Do you know what this is?”

Crimson stared at the six. “Yes. And I fear I have put you in serious danger.”

Twilight turned toward Crimson. “What do you mean?”

“Before I arrived at your world, I was being pursued by a monster from my lands.” Crimson explained. “However, before it got me, I caved in the tunnels and continued to dig towards your world.”

Rainbow Dash’s eyes popped in surprise. “Wait, YOU ran away from it?”

Crimson nodded at Rainbow Dash. “Yes. It is a very dangerous monster.”

Twilight turned her head back toward the castle. “Come on, we need to find the princess.” She started to trot, leading the ponies through the courtyard.

The closer the ponies got to the keep, the more statues they saw. As they approached the steps to the keep doors, they saw more statues and destruction.

“This is terrible!” Fluttershy’s eyes started to tear up. “This creature is destroying the statues!” She wiped her eyes dry as the dust in the air started to clot in the moisture

“Come on, everypony. We need to keep going.” Twilight walked up the steps avoiding the debris left over from the crumbled statues. She peeked her head into the keep to get a look at the inside. She gasped, and then closed her eyes and turned her head in horror from the destruction.

Rainbow Dash approached Twilight. “It’s that bad?”

Twilight noded her head trying to keep her composure.

“I don’t think I can go in there.” Fluttershy softly said.

Twilight opened her eyes and took a deep breath. “We have to. The princess may need our help.” She turned her head back at the doors and she slowly entered the keep. Applejack and Rainbow Dash followed behind her. Rarity and Fluttershy paused outside.

“Come on.” Pinkie Pie said. “Don’t you remember?”

“Remember what?” Rarity asks.

Pinkie Pie smiled as her eyes sparkled. “You gatta stand up tall, learn to face your fears.” Rarity put a hoof to her head as she looked down, shaking her head. “You’ll see that they can’t hurt you. Just laugh to make them disappeeeeear.” She started to take a deep breath.

Crimson shook his head. “I do not agree. Turning victims to stone can very mu-“

“Giggle at the ghosty!” Pinkie Pie sang while bouncing around. Then she popped up behind Crimson. “Guffaw at the grossly!” She bounced by continuing her song. “Crack up at the creepy!” She gave a big jump in the air. “Woof it up with the weepy.”

“Pinkie!” Twilight poked her head out from the keep. The song and dance stoped as Pinkie Pie looks at Twilight. “This isn’t the time to be singing!”

Pinkie Pie gave a light frown as she slowly levitated back to the ground. She sat and looked sad at the grey powdered ground.

Fluttershy walked up to Pinkie Pie. “Chortle at the cooky.” She whispered with a smile to Pinkie Pie. Pinkie smiled back and stood up.

Rarity walked up to Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. “Come on, darlings. Let’s go ‘snortle at the spooky.’” The three girls entered the keep. Crimson stareed at the insanity in which he has just witnessed. He shook it off and followed the girls into the keep.

Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity gasped as they saw the horrors Twilight had witnessed when looking into the keep. The inside was dimly lit, barely illuminating the ground, unveiling the broken statue parts, dust, and ash. Crimson walked in and looked emotionless at the scene.

“Oh my…” Fluttershy whispered almost bursting back into tears.

Crimson walked up to the three. “We need to keep up.” Then he headed toward Twilight and her group.

The ponies grouped up and carefully moved on through the devastation. They tried to keep calm as they moved around the countless statues of royal guard, trying to keep their calm as they walked around dark corners.

“The throne room is up ahead.” Twilight whispered. Crimson extended his hoof, stopping the group in their tracks. His eyes widened as they looked upon a large cloud of dust and ash. “What’s th-“ Crimson gestured for silence.

Crimson took a hesitant breath as a deep groan came from the cloud. Red eyes glowed and pierced through the thick cloud at ground level, then lift ten feet into the air. A massive shadowed silhouette came from the cloud. The six ponies looked in fear at the dreaded beast. A loud groan erupted from the cloud as the creature started to advance. Slowly, a large eight legged lizard-like creature emerged from the cloud. The dark gray scales blended with the color of broken statues as its tail smashed a statue at its side. It lifted its head, reaching at least twenty feet into the air, almost to the ceiling of the hallway, then sniffed the air to try to catch the scent of its next pray.

Twilight gasped in horror. “What is that?”

Crimson’s eyes widened as he stared in fear. “A basilisk.” He whispered.

“I’m going in!” Rainbow Dash fearlessly announced as she lifted into the air. Just before she charged at the creature, Crimson jumped up and snatches her from the air just as a gray beam shot from the basilisk’s mouth at Rainbow Dash. Her rainbow main and tail sizzled as the tips disintegrate into ash.

Royal guards jumped out from their hiding places and started to charge at the creature. The monter's eyes lit up and they start to turn to stone one by one. Then a dark grey beam came out of the basilisk’s mouth, turning the newly formed statues into ash powder. Crimson pushed the six into a corridor for cover as the gray beam shot passed them. The force of the passing beam wafted the ash from the disintegrated ponies.

Rainbow Dash looked up at her sizzled mane. “Who’a, that was close!”

Rarity lifted her hoof at the damaged hair. “That’ll take weeks to moisturize.”

“Nooo!” Twilight shouted and burst into tears. Everyone looked towards Twilight as he hugged the dust and ash covered statue of Shining Armor. The girls surround Twilight and try to console her as she mourned her brother.

Crimson stared at the girls, who were close to breaking down as an unknown feeling rushed through him. He looked down and tried to take a breath, trying to comprehend the strange sensation. He looked up at the girls, then around the corner at the basilisk, who was almost finished wiping out the royal guard. He took a breath, then he reached for his bandages.

Applejack tried consoling the heart broken Twilight. “Oh suga. I’m sorry.”

“This can’t be.” Twilight tried to take a breath. Tears ran down her cheek, making a trail on her dirt covered face.

A thundering roar filled the halls as the six girls quivered from the shock. They looked toward the hall to find that Crimson was nowhere to be seen. “Crimson?” Twilight looked at the pile of bandages on the ground. The six peeked their heads around the corner to see Crimson standing in the middle of the hallway. His horn glowed as he telekinetically threw a large stone at the monster. Crimson focused on the rock causing it to emit a dim glow. The monster lifted a claw swiped at the rock, destroying it in midair. The dust and debris caused from the stone continued to glow and land on the ground, forming a circle around the beast. Twilight lifted a hoof. “Crimson!”

Crimson lightly turned his head toward the girls while keeping his eyes locked on the basilisk. “Twilight, you and your friends stay there.”

“What?” Rainbow Dash jumped and hovered in air. “No way!”

“I will resolve this myself.” He straightened his posture as he took deep breaths. His horn emanated a gentle glow as he focused his energy on his magic.

Applejack grabbed Rainbow Dash’s hoof. “He does know about this creature.”

Rainbow Dash looked back to the girls. “That doesn’t mean we can’t just stay here.”

“I think we should trust him.” Twilight said. “But let’s watch for an opportunity to help.”

Crimson pounded his hoof into the ground, then drew a circle around the hoof print. As he drew the circle, the ground lightly shook and stones pulled up from the floor. The rocks started to orbit around Crimson, creating a shield of stones. The basilisk took a breath to fire its beam at Crimson. Some of the rock shield disintegrated as Crimson jumped toward the basilisk, avoiding the deadly breath weapon. He jumped on the side of the wall, then leapt off the wall toward the basilisk. He spread his wings to gain aerial control as the rock barrier continued to surround him. The barrier merged and created an armor of molten rock as the basilisk swiped at Crimson. The rock armor crumbled at the hit, but Crimson grabbed the claw with his armored climbing hooves. He swung wildly, hanging on to the claw as the basilisk waved his claw around, trying to get the pony off. Crimson got a good hold with his back hooves, then jumped up off the claw as the beast reached his large maw for a devastating bite. He lifted his head back and whipped it down toward the monster. A whip of fire emerged from his horn, slashing at the basilisk’s back and neck. The monster roared and thrashed as it reached back and thrust its jaws in for a bite. Crimson continued to lash into the beast as its teeth sank into Crimson’s wing. It whipped its head and Crimson got thrown down the hallway. The beast roared as Crimson flew down the hall.

The girls looked in horror as he slid to a stop in front of them. “Crimson!”

Rainbow Dash and Rarity went to Crimson and try to help him up, but he looked up and lifted a hoof to stop them. “No. It is not safe for you here.”

Rainbow Dash shook her head. “No! We’re staying.”

Crimson looked up to see the basilisk’s eyes glow. He grabbed the two and jumped back into the corridor. “Do not interfere! You will only get in the way and get yourselves killed.”

Rarity took a half step forward looking at Crimson. “And you won’t?”

Crimson looked at Rarity, his wing crippled and mauled. “Ms. Rarity, it is my fault this creature haunts your lands.”

“That doesn’t mean-“

“I have learned so much from you all.” Crimson looked at the girls. “I am honored to call all of you my friends.” The six looked at him as the creature started to walk toward the corner. Crimson’s horn glowed as he wiped off dust from the floor. “… Good bye.”

Twilight blinked for a moment confused. “What?” Crimson turned around and jumped out from the corner. Twilight tried to lift a hoof only to realize she and the others were stuck to the ground. “NO!” Twilight’s horn glowed and she casted a spell at the ground to dispel the adhesive effects from the ground. The girls ran and turned the corner to see Crimson charging at the basilisk with his hooves engulfed in flames. As he got closer to the monster, the flames glowed brighter. The basilisk took a breath and fired his breath weapon. Crimson lowered his head to dodge as part of his enchanted armor disintegrated from the blast. The flames from his hooves turned into a cyclone around Crimson as he jumped into the air. His horn glowed as the monster’s eyes lit up. Crimson’s wings started to turn to stone as he landed. The flames got absorbed into the ground as Crimson’s front hooves bent and his head went close to the ground on the landing. Crimson continued to be engulfed in stone as the beast’s head lifted into the air. As it took a deep breath, Crimson straightened his arms, lunging his upper body and head upward. A spike of flame and earth pierced the ground and ripped through the neck of the demonic creature and impaled itself into the ceiling. The creature tried to roar as its glowing red eyes dimmed. The monster struggled and bucked at the pain. The spike crumbled under the monster, and it fell to the ground.

Twilight looked in shock. Her eyes popped and she smiled. “You did it!” The girls ran to Crimson, but stopped in horror when they saw Crimson standing with pride and honor turned to stone. The monster laid on its side, fighting to breathe each breath. The girls looked at the monster.

“Oh no.” Fluttershy’s eyes watered up as looked at the petrified hero.

“You idiot.” Rainbow Dash diverted his eyes, then looked at the crippled monster that laid bleeding before them.

“He even looks dazzling as a statue.” Rarity dropped her head in sorrow.

Applejack looked at the basilisk, trying to fight back tears. “What should we do with this thing?”

Thinking about the loss of her brother, her friend, and the destruction this creature has brought upon the kingdom, Twilight took a step forward, her eyes burning with pain and rage. Tears rolled down her cheeks as her horn started to glow.

“No.” Fluttershy flew between Twilight and the basilisk. “This is wrong!”

“Right! I mean, wrong!” Pinkie Pie chimed in. “This will stick with you forever. You will never be a happy pony if you do this.”

“She’s right.” Applejack stood next to Fluttershy. “No matter what terrible things this creature has done, we have no right to take a life.”

They all looked at Twilight, who stared with rage at the helpless creature. Her inner anger fought against her inner compassion as the creature started to lightly convulse. Finally, she let out a deep exhale and her horn’s glow diminished. She looked away from the monster in tears as her friends all hugged her.

After regaining her composure, Twilight looked at her consoling friends. “Come on, let’s find the princess.” The six slowly and cautiously walked around the dying creature toward the throne room.