• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 1,487 Views, 155 Comments

The Reception - sister_mike



Part 3 of "The Reception" triology. The final battle.

  • ...
5
 155
 1,487

Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Twilight Sparkle

"A monster," Celestia whispered back.

"B-but she was always a monster," Rarity whined quietly.

"Sister, we need to act now," Luna said quickly, practically shouting. She quickly shot a beam of magic at Celestia's wing and it cracked back into place. The sun princess hadn't even so much as winced at it.

The two princesses ran towards their new, giant, formidable foe. The ran around her in opposing circles, each chanting the same thing in an unknown language to Twilight. Luna shot out a ray that resembled the moon and Celestia shot out one that resembled the sun. The two images flew above the princesses and met together above Chrysalis. There was a bright light, quickly followed by absolutely no light at all—everything went dark. Suddenly there was a loud burst of what looked like stars, and they enveloped Chrysalis.

The two princesses stopped running and went back to the group of ponies. They stood in front of the Element bearers and shot alternating beams of magic at Chrysalis as well.

Twilight had never seen such feats in magic. Although Chrysalis's magic had been terrifying, yet brilliant in the eyes of a magic scholar, it was nothing compared to what she had just seen the princesses perform.

This must be one of those magical powers Luna had mentioned, that they use instead of the Elements of Harmony.

The princesses stopped shooting magic and everypony seemed to hold their breath.

The stars around Chrysalis began to wriggle and vibrate. They could not contain her. They began to break apart and they shattered as they fell to the ground.

"Everypony down!" Luna instructed harshly, as Celestia erected a barrier around them. The stars continued to fall, shattering and exploding as they hit the ground. The giant Chrysalis cackled and laughed. She shot a beam of lightning at the ponies, the barrier just barely holding. Luna then erected a barrier inside of Celestia's.

"What are we to do sister?" Luna asked, trying to hold the panic out of her voice. Chrysalis began to stab at the barriers with the point at the end of her tail. She never stopped laughing, her eyes screaming bright red.

"I don't think there is anything we can do," Celestia whispered. She turned her head to Luna, and Twilight's heart stopped. She had never seen the look of fear of Celestia's face. There had always been concern, whenever they were attacked before in the past. But the look on the princess's face now was nothing more than pure fear; fear of losing, fear of death—fear of letting her kingdom down.

Fluttershy was crying non-stop behind Twilight, Pinkie's forelegs wrapped around her. Rarity looked dangerously pale, which was hard for a white pony to do. Rainbow Dash and Applejack were holding hooves.

"What if we tried the Elements of Harmony and your spell together?" Twilight whispered, desperate to find a solution.

"She will kill us the minute we let this barrier go," Celestia said. Twilight wasn't sure she ever heard the words "kill" come from the princess. She wasn't sure she liked it at all.

"The best thing we can do, is send you six away and wish you good luck," Celestia said.

"Princess, no! We're not leaving either of you," Twilight said.

"There must be something we can do Celly," Luna said. Chrysalis continued to chip away at the barrier, sending the odd lightning bolt of magic now and then.

"We need help, is what we need," Celestia said.

"And help is here!"

Suddenly, something exploded outside of the barrier that hadn't come from Chrysalis. Chrysalis stumbled momentarily, caught off guard by the explosion.

Twilight whipped around as a group of ponies entered into the barrier. Celestia turned her head, a look of relief forming on her face. Luna gave a devilish grin.

Cadance, Shining Armor, Trixie, and Flam entered into the barrier. Chrysalis began to beat harder upon seeing the new reinforcements, once she had overcome the small bomb diversion.

"Cadance! Shining Armor!?" Twilight said, slightly hesitant. Her brother walked over and pulled her into the biggest hug.

"I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am," he said softly, "I could see everything, but couldn't control myself. I just... just couldn't control..."

He started to cry. Twilight pulled away. "It's ok Shining Armor. It's not your fault, and you didn't do any harm. How are you you again?"

"Cadance fixed me," he said, a proud smile on his face, "With her power of love, she essentially reminded me of who I was, even though I knew the whole time, and pushed the dark magic out of me."

"Where are the others? My sisters?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"They're outside, rigging the castle up to bring it down," Cadance said, "Big Mac and Derpy are helping. We're going to blow this place up to smithereens once we're done with her."

"What happened to CloudsArmor? Titan Wings? I heard they were with you," Shining Armor asked.

"Uh..." Twilight said, just now noticing that they were gone.

"They are up there, in cocoons," Celestia said, nodding her head.

"When did that happen!?" Twilight asked.

"It's not important—there was a lot going on. What matters is that we defeat her and save everypony in Equestria," Luna said.

"We need the Elements of Harmony and Cadance, we need your power of love," Celestia said, her eyes fixed on Chrysalis, "Plus Luna and I's solar attack."

"Shining Armor; we need you to create a barrier around us," Luna said.

"Yes, of course, your Highness," Shining Armor said, his voice suddenly extremely serious. His horn glowed and a third barrier appeared inside of Luna's.

"What can we do to help?" Flam asked.

"You and Trixie need to get those pegasus guards out of their cocoons," Twilight said, her mind calculating with the princesses' plan, "because as soon as we're done defeating Chrysalis, we need to get out of here before the castle explodes."

"But if we've defeated her, what's the rush?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"There's no guarantee it will kill her—just change her back and temporarily stun her," Celestia explained, "So we need to explode the castle, preferably the whole side of the mountain, to ensure her death."

"Do my sisters even have enough explosives for that!?" Pinkie asked.

"You'd be surprised what that Blinkie Pie has in store," Cadance said, a mischievous grin on her face.

"Get ready everypony; once our barrier is down to only one, she's going to fight viciously," Luna said, "So we're going to have to act quick."

"Won't she hear our plan!?" Fluttershy wheezed, her legs shaking frantically.

"She cannot hear inside our barrier," Celestia said.

"Get ready girls," Twilight said. She held her head up high. This was it. This was it. They were finally going to free Equestria from the past months of enslavement.

The mane 6 got into position. Flam and Trixie hovered near the edges of the barrier, so they could have a closer range for freeing the trapped pegasi.

"Ready?" Luna asked. Celestia looked over her shoulder and caught each pony in the eye for a second. Twilight nodded at her. Celestia nodded and turned back to her sister.

"Ready," she whispered.

It was utter chaos and mayhem. The princesses' let go of their barriers and Shining Armor's barrier shone brightly. As soon as the princesses' barriers were down, Twilight could hear her brother struggling against Chrysalis's endless assault of magic.

As hard as it was, Twilight tried to drown her brother out and concentrate on what she had to do. Luna and Celestia had run out and began to chase around Chrysalis again, chanting loudly over the commotion. Cadance closed her eyes and began to channel her own energy.

Chrysalis didn't know who to attack, who to concentrate on. She tried swiping at the two running princesses, nearly knocking over Luna, but she kept on banging on the barrier as well. She also began to try and swat at the pegasus guards as they were freed one by one, but they were quickly instructed by Luna and Celestia to leave the castle and tell the others outside to get ready. Once the guards were free, Trixie and Flam ran back out of the barrier and out the door.

Twilight felt the energy of her friends around her. She felt her own Element pumping through her veins, her horn ready to fire the power of the Elements at Chrysalis. She could also feel Cadance's power around her, charged and ready to go. She watched as the princesses' solar spell entrapped Chrysalis in stars once more. And as they ran back into the barrier and began to fire more rapid spells at Chrysalis, Twilight let go and shot the Elements of Harmony onto Chrysalis as well. Cadance released her magic as well.

It was a sight like no other. The changeling monster was covered in gold stars. A bright pink heart floated a top of her, and the rainbow of the Elements began to encircle her. All together, the power pooled together and dove inside of Chrysalis. For a moment time stopped. The stars had disappeared, but hadn't shattered and fallen like last time. Chrysalis looked herself in her monster form. She hesitated as the magic had disappeared inside her. She waited a second and then laughed, as though the magic had not worked. She gave a final, strong shot of magic at the barrier and shattered it, Shining Armor stumbling backwards, his horn smoking.

Twilight and the others floated back to the ground. Twilight felt pure fear in her heart, sure it had stopped beating. They were exposed to the great monster. Chrysalis cackled, lightning flashing outside. She took a step towards the group. And then it happened.

Chrysalis seemed to implode. She was suddenly being sucked inward, into a void that Twilight couldn't explain. Before she could see what was happening to Chrysalis, Twilight shut her eyes tightly, the light too intense. The room exploded in rainbow, stars and hearts, all on the background of the brightest, whitest light Twilight had ever seen (for a split second).

"We need to get out of here!" Luna was suddenly shouting.

Twilight opened her eyes. The castle seemed to be rumbling. Her friends were already running for the door, Celestia leading them out. Shining Armor grabbed her hoof and pulled her towards the door, Luna taking up the rear.

Before she left, Twilight got one last look at what remained. Lying slumped on the ground, unconscious, was Chrysalis. She was back to her regular size, except she looked different. Her horn was gone and so were her wings. Even though she still looked the same height as Celestia and Luna, Chrysalis had lost her powers. She resembled nothing more than a mere, black, powerless changeling.



When they got outside, Twilight and her friends quickly jumped into Luna's chariot, her guards already positioned to pull. Luna didn't enter the chariot this time, and flew on her own. Another chariot hovered in the air, this one pink, obviously belonging to Cadance. Derpy, Big Mac, Flam, Trixie, Blinkie and Inkie were all inside.

Luna's chariot pulled away quickly, and the alicorns all flew.

"Blow it," Luna said.

Blinkie pushed a button on a control in her hoof. Red lights began to suddenly blink all over the exterior of the castle. Twilight could see some in the cave, as well as some further down the side of the mountain.

The chariot flew away swiftly. Twilight turned her head and watched as the red lights began to blink faster, as they faded in the distance. And before too long, there was a loud explosion and the castle, the cave, and the cliff began to crumble.