• Published 4th Nov 2012
  • 2,722 Views, 58 Comments

Becoming Spitfire - An A10 Warthog



This was unexpected. I woke up on a normal day. A boring normal day. Not So Boring I Guess.

  • ...
11
 58
 2,722

Chapter 2: Plan in Motion

I was almost at the airport, but my flight had given me sometime to think. And I was considering bailing out. What the hay is wrong with me? There's no way I'd ever try to hitchhike. It was only then it dawned on me: it wasn't me who had made that decision. It was Spitfire. That was why I had very little trouble flying. Am I going to turn into her?

I hoped not. No way was I actually going to hitchhike on a jet. First off, I'd probably get killed either getting on, oxygen deprivation or falling out when the doors opened. And that was if I was lucky! Screw it,I'm going to do this the old fashioned way!

I decided that it made more sense to spend probably two or three days traveling. And maybe find some of those other people who were effected. I wondered if there were other members of the Wonderbolts here as well. That would certainly be interesting. But I needed to get back to my house. I couldn't get very far with no supplies.

Resting on a cloud above my house, I waited until everyone left. And thought. I wondered if it would be a good idea to tell my family what was going on. One of the things that kept coming back to me is how I would explain it to them. I was going to have to, I decided. They wouldn't know what happened if I didn't come back. Now that was a disturbing thought. What if my personality was gone? Buck, I didn't know anymore. Wait, what?

Finally, the premises were clear and I rushed in. I grabbed a bag, my laptop, makeshift stylus, charger, an old GPS, some food, some beverages and wrote a note down quickly. Now, I didn't proofread it, and I am not sure if it was legible. But, I didn't have time to do so. I could only hope they got the message. I sped out of my house and completed my journey in what I estimated to be about fifteen minutes.

After taking flight, I set off towards a place I could hide (and get free WiFi, that's really what I needed). I guess the nearest one was the roof of a Starbucks. So I hid on the roof and opened my laptop. I used my pencil to see if there was any updates on the situation. I checked the first thing I thought might have something: EqD. I rarely use Equestria Daily, but I hoped it was my key to finding a plan.

Sure enough, I found another affected like me. I sent one of the Equestria Daily mods a message telling them about my predicament, with a webcam photo. I hoped they'd get back to me, but I couldn't be sure. I tabbed over to YouTube, to distract myself while awaiting a reply.

It took them ten minutes to get back to me, and I was given a Skype username belonging to some guy on the East Coast; this guy claiming to be a pegasus as well. I copied the username to my Skype, added it, and called this guy. I got a quick reply from him. So we had a quick discussion, and we decided to rendezvous in the Windy City and then operate from there. The time frame we had was minimal, so I left without any further delays.


I flew off towards the east, my GPS in my hooves. I had no idea how I intended to use the infernal device, but I wrote that off for the moment. I was getting some signal, so I knew which way to go. I had been flying for twenty minutes, but I wasn't getting anywhere near even the state line. I had plenty of time to think about what had happened to me so far, so I did.

It really hit me now that I really was a mare. But that didn't bother me that much, because unlike what appears most bronies, I never wanted to go to Equestria, or get turned into a pony. I mean sure, it's kind of cool to be able to fly yourself around anywhere. But still, I had faith in humanity, unlike the apparent majority of the fandom that acted like humans were worthless. But, I'm getting off topic here.

So, I thought about the fact that I was a pegasus. That's kind of cool. But at what cost? Was I going to lose my personality? I'd already lost my humanity, and I'd lost my manhood. But I knew I could lose a lot more than that. I was still myself, a teen who watches a show for little girls and plays video games in his free time. But that's not it. I took flying lessons, I'd driven boats countless times.

But what made me special? Nothing. I wasn't special. I wasn't immune to whatever the buck was doing this to the people of this planet. The calender was screwed up already, but that's not that big a deal. OK, yeah it was, but I could survive that. But now I thought it was the end of days. It certainly could be. I hoped it wasn't, but it could be the end of the world.


Two hours later I had made it out of California and was somewhere above Nevada. I heard a noise in the distance, it sounded like an engine. Unfortunately, there isn't much cloud cover above the desert, so I couldn't hide anywhere. And when I saw the aircraft, I knew I didn't want it to see me.

It was a pair of A10 Warthogs.