• Published 4th Nov 2012
  • 2,717 Views, 58 Comments

Becoming Spitfire - An A10 Warthog



This was unexpected. I woke up on a normal day. A boring normal day. Not So Boring I Guess.

  • ...
11
 58
 2,717

Chapter 6: The Road to Chicago

The orange mare stared at me quizzically. It was clear why. “What do you think I should do then?” I asked her.

She shook her head, “I don’t know how long it really matters for, John.”

“What do you mean?”

“I think that it doesn’t matter- I think we’re going to merge soon.”

“That doesn’t sound good.”

“I don't like it any better, but that's the way it is.”

“Well, shi-”


The colors of the sky above the farmland that this area was adorned with filled my vision quickly. It must have been early morning, because the sky glowed a brilliant orange. I heard the buzzing sound of what could have easily been a Cessna, or a crop duster. I decided now was a good time to get a start on my day, so I jumped off the cloud and flew off towards Chicago.

It was a cold day. I think it should be Tuesday or Monday- I didn’t remember. It didn’t really matter to me. All I knew was somepony was waiting for me in Chicago. Wait, wha- I processed my own use of dialects that were certainly not mine. Today was not off to a good start, that was certain.

It took me quite some time to realize something majorly wrong with my plan: how would I find the others I had contacted once I reached the city? It wouldn't be easy to find anypony in a city of that size. Damn it, if I actually knew the city maybe this could have worked, but I had no actual hope of finding them without a meeting point. It was incredibly dumb, in retrospect, to have come up with such a ambiguous idea.

So, what if I couldn't find them? I knew that I couldn't just sit around looking for them forever, but part of me wanted to. Zoning back to reality, I noticed a plane, a Learjet, to be specific, flying straight at me. Just then, I simply blacked-out. Good timing is key.


I was looking at what I was looking at before, and feeling what I felt, but I wasn't in control. It was apparent that Spitfire was as surprised by this as I was, as she didn't immediately take action. I mentally shouted for her to duck, to avoid the expensive corporate plane. Luckily, she seemed to know what to do and went straight downwards.

So, she somehow knew which direction to go, probably from my guidance, or the GPS in her hooves, most likely the latter in hindsight, but that wasn't important. What was important is that we were going to Chicago, we had to get there soon, and I had no idea for what we were going to do once we got there.

Author's Note:

Trying to do this a bit differently, so be patient.

Also, sorry for it being short, but I have to negotiate with my collaborators at this time. The next chapter will start in the Windy City, (Yay! No cliffhangers for once!) and it will be longer.