• Published 4th Nov 2012
  • 2,716 Views, 58 Comments

Becoming Spitfire - An A10 Warthog



This was unexpected. I woke up on a normal day. A boring normal day. Not So Boring I Guess.

  • ...
11
 58
 2,716

Chapter 1: Now for a plan...

It was still dark out when I woke up, like none of the sun was even beginning to become visible. Which, for me, is strange, I rarely ever got up very early. I moved my hand over to my over the shoulder light resting next to my bed. And for some bizarre reason, I couldn't feel my fingers. So, I looked over at my 'hand' and saw that in its place was a stump. Great. I was in some elaborate nightmare that made no sense.

So, I threw my covers to the ground and got out my bed, attempting to be quiet. I face planted right on to my carpet. I mentally swore and attempted to stand again. The end result of this was similar, and ended with me hitting the ground with force for the second time now. I pushed my stump of an arm against the floor when an idea hit me. I could crawl across the floor.

To my surprise, crawling had better effects than walking upright. I reached the bathroom, flipped the light switch with my stump of an arm and hoisted my self up to get a better view of myself using the mirror. I saw an orange face staring back at me. In my grogginess, I didn't immediately recognize the face. All I knew was my day, and possibly a much longer period of time had just gone to hell.

I knew from my reflection that I had somehow turned into a pony. I've had weirder dreams. I looked again, trying to identify the pony that I had turned into. When I saw the cutie mark, I knew I was Spitfire. She wasn't the worst pony by a long shot, but a large amount of the fannon about her was clop. Well, this was awkward. I rushed back into my room, neglecting to turn off the bathroom light in the process.

Oh God, Oh God, I thought to myself, What am I gonna do? I'm a pony, and I don't know how. Is it just me? Or is the whole world going to start falling apart now?

After calming myself down, This situation seemed familiar. I remembered something about bronies turning into ponies, but it could have just been fanfiction. The whole situation was incredibly cliche. Racking my head with my hoof, I decide the internet has answers. It always does.

How am I going to use my laptop? I should've thought this through. After some thought, I decided a stylus or similar instrument, such as a pencil, could help me use my tiny keyboard. Apparently, this had been happening to random people for a few days by this point and what people were supposed to be doing was going to New York. But I had thirty five hundred miles between me and New York City, and time was presumably of the essence.

I didn't know how I was going to get there, but I soon reminded myself that I could fly.That's if I could figure out how to though. I was also doubtful I could cross the whole country in any decent amount of time. It's not like I could just buy a ticket and get on a jet either, for multiple reasons. However, it was obvious to me that being seen wasn't a big deal with the world knowing about this situation already.

Now I just needed to figure out how to fly. Maybe, I had Spitfire's muscle memory? I certainly hoped so. But it was hellishly unlikely. I probably would have to figure out how to fly, that is if I decided to head for the city. She mentioned that only for those who were 'Elements of Harmony' so it was kind of fuzzy for what I should be doing exactly. Sure, heading to New York seemed like the most logical thing to do, you know with everyone else presumably heading there.

But it seemed like a pointless trip, when there was nothing I could do to help those that were in New York, and I'd probably slow them down. And I hated to slow others down. Now came the question: where exactly do I fit into this? I obviously wasn't alone here, and I definitely had a major lack of understanding regarding the situation, but I couldn't just go on with my life like nothing happened here, right?

Out of all of the things to happen to possibly happen to me, the most confusing and surprisingly boring happens to me, I thought in dismay, I'm a freaking pony! The world is probably going to fall to pieces, and all I can do is sit here and pretend nothings wrong.

I needed help. That was obvious. But, was it really worth going to New York to get it?

I facehooved, remembering I did, after all, have the greatest invention ever! Yes, I am in fact referring to the internet. I needed to contact the people in charge, or ponies as it may be. I entered a query on Google, Pony Crisis Help Information I didn't get a convenient page with FAQ's or anything like that, much to my chagrin. So, I tried a similar query.

I encountered absolutely nothing of any value to me.I wondered how the whole internet had so little on such an issue. As was such, I decided improvisation was necessary. If you knew me, then you'd know I don't like to do things that are risky or stupid, so I have no idea how I decided on what I was going to do next.

I moved out of my house, spread my wings, took off. I have no idea how I actually knew how to fly, but I managed to do so. It felt amazing to actually fly under my own power. In awe of this I was still for what was likely a minute, I snapped back to reality as I heard a helicopter fly past me. I had a completely genius idea. I was going to the airport.