• Published 28th Oct 2012
  • 13,270 Views, 133 Comments

Dishonored: A Ruined and Drowning World - Kleptoshark



When Twilight accepts the offer of a deity, she finds more than she bargained for.

  • ...
14
 133
 13,270

Chapter 3: A Learning Experience

Twilight Sparkle gulped nervously. In the basement of her library, she had assembled all the items before her that the dust-covered tome had told her to, but she was still having her doubts. In order to create an Outsider’s Rune, said the book, she’d need some charcoal, a bit of heat… and a bone from one dead whale. What disturbed Twilight the most was that the yellowed old tome actually had a sub-section on killing and ‘harvesting’ whales- and the several dozens of uses that each portion of the whale could serve. She had managed to avoid resorting to such disturbing measures by ‘borrowing’ a piece of a dismantled whale skeleton from the Ponyville Museum of Natural History: She had just asked for a piece, citing ‘research purposes’ and the curator had simply handed it over.

What Twilight had failed to mention to the pleasant, aged stallion in charge of the Museum was that she was going to use the whale bone to try and contact an ancient, omniscient being with power that may very well transcend Discord, and maybe even the princesses themselves. Yet the implications behind the possibility of such a being existing… she had to know, at any cost, she just had to.

Twilight rubbed her sleep-deprived eyes and followed the simple instructions written in the book:

The first and most important component of creating a whalebone rune is to ensure that the surface you are marking is clean. Generally a quick scrubbing with a wet piece of cloth will do the trick. Now, use the charcoal and inscribe the Outsider’s mark onto the whalebone slate.

Study the above image carefully. Ensure that none of the markings are off when you replicate it. The copy of the inscription does not need to be picture-perfect. However, extra markings or a lack thereof can bring calamity to one who attempts the next step. When you are certain that your charcoal sigil matches the symbol above, heat the charcoal markings using any means at your disposal.

And that’s all there was to it. With fidgeting hooves, Twilight copied the arcane symbol onto the flat surface of the whale’s shoulder bone. She tried to use a heat spell on the engravings, but she was too exhausted; her sleep deprived brain couldn’t concentrate enough to do it. The purple unicorn passed the whalebone to Spike, who had also had his sleep interrupted for the occasion. The juvenile dragon cocked an eyebrow at the grisly object in his hands, and looked back at Twilight.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?”

“Just do it.” Twilight snapped, she was too tired, too close to a breakthrough, to allow a petty thing like doubt to hold her back now.

Spike merely shrugged, and blew a gout of green flame onto the charcoal markings. The first thing Spike noticed was that the charcoal markings were glowing, as if they were tapping into some other, internal source of heat. They ended up glowing brighter, and the slate became so hot that Spike dropped it to avoid burning his fingers. The markings simmered, and the glow faded, leaving the distinctive black engravings behind. The simmering noise seemed to stay, though, changing subtly to a quiet gurgling sort of noise. Twilight carefully plucked the whalebone rune off the floor, and held it in her hooves. It seemed as if the odd, constant noise increased as she brought it near.

It was almost as if it was calling to her.

If Spike hadn’t been sleep-deprived, he would’ve known to be worried at the covetous look in his adoptive sister’s eye as she ran a hoof over the surface of the rune. But he was too tired to notice.

“Can I go to sleep now?” He asked, rubbing one of his eyes.

“Yes, of course.” Twilight was barely paying attention to her assistant as she stared at the rune, her bloodshot eyes wide with wonder.

She was still gazing into the engraved chunk of whalebone after Spike went upstairs to get his rest. She had done it, there was definitely something arcane about the small artifact sitting before her. But what did this mean? What should she do with it?

The lavender mare was still wondering about this when she finally passed out from exhaustion, slumping over the whalebone rune. It’s calling echoing into her dreams.

****

Twilight woke up, the haze of torpor dissipating from her mind. She peered around, trying to recollect the events of yesterday. Her eyes widened when she remembered what she had done. The looked down, and to her renewed disgust, found that she had indeed mutilated the remains of a dead creature in the name of science. The rune was still making that distinctive rumbling noise, calling to her. Twilight backed away from it, disturbed by its siren’s song.

“Twilight!” Spike’s voice echoed from upstairs, a mixture of fear and urgency in his voice.

With another pang of guilt, Twilight remembered that she had implicated her assistant in this dark business. She moved towards the stairs, ready to assure him that she would find some way to undo what happened last night. Upon mentioning the rune Spike merely shook his head, waving away her apology.

“Forget that.” He interrupted her, “You need to see this!”

He jogged up to the ground floor, and she followed him, wondering what in Equestria could be so urgent. He ran to the door and wrenched it open. Twilight’s jaw dropped in shock. Ponyville had definitely changed.

For one thing, last time she checked, Twilight’s house hadn’t been floating in an endless abyss.

Twilight thought for a moment that Discord had returned, but something on this scale would have been inspired- even for him.

“What do we do?” Spike asked, the hysteria rising in his voice.

Twilight lowered her head until her eyes were level with her assistant’s.

“I know this is bad, but you need to stay calm.” She assured him, “We’re not going to get anywhere if we panic.”

The purple dragon took a deep breath and nodded, the fear still remaining in his eyes. Twilight nodded, and turned towards the door. It appeared that there was a grassy path, leading upwards out of view from the door. Twilight cautiously took a step beyond the threshold of her door, acting as if the path would fall away at any second. Eventually she stepped outside, and turned back to her assistant.

“No way to go but forwards, I guess.” She said.

Spike nodded, and timidly followed her. On floating islands all around them were random objects and buildings. Yet all of the drifting islands seemed to correlate to one another in some way, or hold some sort of significance to either Twilight or Spike. Spike suddenly stopped, and pointed to one of the islands.

“Wait, that’s me, isn’t it?”

On one of the islands, a fractured section of wood flooring carried Spike, holding out a large, heart-shaped gemstone to an ivory-white unicorn. Both Spike and Rarity were unmoving, seeming to be frozen in that one moment of time. Twilight spoke up.

“It’s official; I don’t think we’re in Equestria anymore.”

“Yeah,” Spike concurred with growing discomfort, “let’s keep moving.”

Eventually their path flattened out onto a large, circular area of stone tiles. As soon as Twilight and Spike stepped onto it, a figure sublimated in front of them. It was a brown stallion, he floated, although he had no wings. And he definitely had a large control over magic, although he had no horn. The most disturbing quality of him was his eyes- which seemed to be alive with darkness. His flank was adorned with the same eldritch marking that Twilight had etched onto the whalebone slate.

He regarded them evenly, with his forelegs crossed in front of his chest.

“Twilight Sparkle, and Spike.” The mysterious stallion addressed them.

“W-who are you?” Spike blurted out.

“I have been given many names over my existence,” The brown creature answered cryptically, before switching his gaze to Twilight.

“I think you already know who I am.”

Twilight stood there, still speechless. The brown stallion gave her an amused look.

“Is this what you intended? All those weeks of studying how to break the temporal boundaries, reading those old, forgotten books you had accumulated in the basement of your library?”

The purple mare finally found her voice,

“Y-you’re the Outsider.” she whispered reverently.

“Yes. I watched with great interest since the moment you found that old, centuries-forgotten tome from your attic. As you obtained the bone of a creature that had remained undisturbed for centuries past, and as you inscribed my mark into it.” He cocked his head to one side, a whimsical look crossing his features. “I wonder what your Princess Celestia would say, if she could see you now.”

Twilight’s gaze fell to the ground in shame, Spike stepped forward, a temper rising in him.

“You shouldn’t talk to Twilight like that. We never even asked you to come here, come to think of it, where are we?”

The Outsider uncrossed his forelegs and gestured around him. “This is the Void: My realm. It is a depository of all that has been, all that could have been, and all that will come to pass. It is the bridge by which time passes, and is remembered, and yet time itself is meaningless here; not seconds, nor centuries.”

Spike was starting to get seriously tired of all these half-answers.

“Wherever we are, can you at least send us back?”

The Outsider gave a slight bow.

“Of course, from here, I can return you with ease. But I would like to extend an offer to you.”

Twilight’s gaze suddenly shot up again, her eyes filled with curiosity.

“What ‘offer’?”

“You have come here with many questions, only a few of which have been answered. And I sense that there are many more questions that you have never found the answers for.”

He made a gesture with a hoof, and a spherical portal opened next to him.

“Accept my offer, and you will travel to a world inhabited by a species known as Humans. Although some amongst them waste this gift, many of them are born thinkers, and their world is in a constant state of intellectual advancement. Be warned: I can send you there with ease, but you may not return with the same ease.”

Spike’s trust for the enigmatic brown stallion had finally run out.

“No deal. Come on Twilight, let’s go home.” The dragon turned to make his way back down the path, and he tugged on Twilight’s tail, silently begging her to not trust the dark-eyed deity. Twilight turned to follow Spike, but slowly, gazing longingly into the sphere. The Outsider spoke up again.

“A shame.” He brooded, “Your Princess Celestia did her best to obscure all knowledge of me. Of course, she was merely acting with the best intentions.” He crossed his forelegs behind his back, and leaned forward, “But I wonder: what other secrets has she kept from you?”

Spike gave a groan, knowing that he couldn’t give any argument to top that.

“Just hold on a second, Twi.” Spike implored, “If you’re going through there, I’m coming with you, okay? I’m not going to let you do any of that ‘never-heard-from-again’ stuff. Got it?”

Twilight Sparkle agreed, and they both passed into the dimensional rift. The Outsider closed it behind them, returning to his original form with a smile.

Things are about to get very… interesting.