• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 1,410 Views, 43 Comments

Four Score - LittleBoyBlue



The Race to Mayorship...

  • ...
2
 43
 1,410

The Princess Starts the Race

"-we were never the same after that day. And to this day, I still get shivers."
Booth turned to Mayor Mare after he finished his story.
"And how could a rogue tornado be worse than THAT?!"

"Simple. Because what you just told me was a bunch of malarkey. How is it possible for a tornado to lift up a pony that is hiding in a trailer, and take him to a place full of midget ponies and flying monkeys?"

"Well, it happened!"

"That's why you always lose the race! You make up these stories for other ponies to believe! Ponies want truth! Not make-believe!"

Booth gave a scowl.
"Mark my words Mayor, I WILL win this time!"

"Ha! When monkeys fly."

Booth started grumbling, as he walked away from the Mayor.
She started to walk around the lobby as the other ponies were talking and having laughs.
Suddenly, the door opened.
There, at the entrance, was a light brown stallion with a tall top hat.
He had a clean face and his hair was combed handsomely.
The stallion caught the attention of the Mayor, as she advanced towards him.

"Hello there, Mister..."

"Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln madame."
He gently shook her hoof, after they introduced themselves.

"Hey, aren't you that lawyer from Appleloosa they talk a lot about?"

"Yes ma'am. I'm a very well known pony, if I do say so myself."

"So, you must be the best lawyer around town, huh Mr. Lincoln?" The Mayor said.

"Oh, heavens no. I'm just an average lawyer. I'm certainly not the best, but I TRY my best."

"I see. And why do you want to run for mayor?"

Lincoln paused for a moment.

"Ponies want a common leader Miss Mare. You're doing an excellent job being one. I'm running to help my fellow ponies. I do not expect to win.... but that doesn't mean I won't try with extreme diligence. I have a high respect for all you've done for us Miss, and I wish you good luck in your reelection campaign." He then extended his hoof once more.
"May the best pony.....lead." The Mayor nodded and returned the hoofshake. Then Lincoln left to greet the others.
The Mayor turned to the Earth pony.
Such a humble one. she thought. I wonder what lies in his future...
Suddenly, the Royal Doors opened. Everypony stood at attention, as her majesty, Princess Celestia, appeared.
The candidates and the Mayor all bowed to her.

"You all may stand."

The ponies stood, as they waited for her speech.

"Once again, it is time to elect another mayor for Ponyville.
I say to all eight of you, to try your best and campaign fairly."

Booth smirked and rolled his eyes.

"If you truly believe you can do it, then you can. Nothing is stopping you but yourself.
The first debate is on Tuesday."

Lincoln immediately raised his hoof up.
Celestia raised her brow.

"Yes. Mister Lincoln."

"I'm sorry Your Majesty, but I'm supposed to meet my client on Tuesday. He really needs my assistance."

The other ponies stared at him, in shock at his interruption.

"Mr. Lincoln, surely you can reschedule your meeting."

"I'm afraid not Your Majesty. This pony is depending on me, and I am not going to let him down."

The ponies started to whisper to each other, as Lincoln kept his gaze on the princess.
She then gave a smile.

"All right Mr. Lincoln. I'll reschedule the debate for the day after."

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

The ponies stared in amazement at Abraham.
The princess. THE princess, rescheduling for HIM? The Mayor was confused.
But, why?

"Anyways," Celestia continued. "I wish you all good luck in the race! Make us proud!"
The princess then stamped her hoof.
"Dismissed."
The candidates left the castle one by one.
The Mayor, however, stayed with a question.

"Why?"

"Excuse me?" The sun goddess turned.

"Why reschedule for a loyal subject. I mean, princess, YOU'RE the ruler! Why did you do something a mere Earth pony asked you to?"

The princess smiled at her.

"I didn't do it because he asked me to. I did it because he earned it. Not many ponies stand against the wishes of royalty. Mostly out of fear, of course. But he did. And on top of that, in a non threatening manner."
The princess then sighed.
"Everypony seems to forget that us princesses have feelings. They mostly see us as the ones who will strike anypony down if they do not obey. But that's simply not us. We don't want to be feared. We want to be respected. And Mister Lincoln showed that respect I have been searching for."

The Mayor nodded her head. She then bowed again.
"I understand, Your Highness. I will be leaving now."
The Mayor got up from her bow and left.

"Besides," the princess said when the Mayor left. "He's kinda cute."
She smiled, as she went back to her Royal Quarters.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~