• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 2,730 Views, 35 Comments

The Price of Loyalty - Silentpegasus



Rainbow Dash is having nighmares. But they're only dreams....... right?

  • ...
5
 35
 2,730

Chapter 4

Chapter 4.

As the six ponies made their way towards Canterlot Castle Rainbow dash kept thinking on how she would explain her situation to her friends; But that wasn’t the only thing, Fluttershy’s stare seemed familiar somehow. Rainbow had heard the story of how Fluttershy managed to save Apple bloom, Sweetie belle and Scootaloo from a cockatrice attack in the Everfree forest, but had never seen her actually use it.

“Hey Fluttershy, can I ask you something?” Rainbow asked as she trotted up to her fellow winged friend.

“Of course Rainbow dash you can ask me anything.” Fluttershy said with a smile on her face.

“That “Stare” thing you can do, where did you learn it?” Fluttershy took a minute to respond.

“Ummm...... Honestly Rainbow I don’t know remember even learning it. One day when I was trying to get my chickens back in their coop and it just happened, it’s been like that for as long as I can remember; I’ve never really had any control over it. I’m sorry Rainbow.” She said lowering her head.

“No big deal Fluttershy I was just curious.” No pony said another word until they got to the castle gate.

“Were here.” Twilight announced to her friends. The six mares all stood and stared in awe at the massive castle. Twilight approached one of the guards.

“Good day sir, I am Twilight Sparkle. My friend and I have a lunch date scheduled with the princess today.” The guard then drew out a clip board containing a list.

“Hmm Lets see here..... Sparkle........Spark- Oh Here you are, Sparkle party of six?” The guard said looking up at the lavender mare.

“Yes thats us.”

“Splendid, The princess is in the Main Dinning hall. Do you need directions Miss?” The guard asked happily.

“No thank you sir I can mange.” Twilight said as she and her five companions walked inside the massive castle.

“No matter how many times I see this place the beauty completely overwhelms me.” Rarity said with wonderment in her voice.

“I know what ya mean.” said Applejack admiring the decorations strewn about the hallway.

“What do ya think Dash?” She asked her multi colored maned friend.

“Huh. Wha?.Oh, yeah the place looks awesome.” Rainbow said barely paying attention to her friend.

“Okay every pony were here.” Twilight said as she used her magic to open two massive doors that led to the Dinning hall.

“Oh mah stars.”

“WOW.”

“Oh...my.”

“Awesome.”

“All of this is for us?”
The six mares were all dumbstruck at the size of the spread that lay before them. The grand dinning table was filled with delicacies beyond the ponies dreams. Waiters stood at the ready for their orders.

“Twilight Sparkle, my prize pupil; It is so wonderful to see you, and your friends as well.” Said Princess Celestia as she descended from her throne along with her younger sister.

“Yes, we are pleased to see you all again.” Princess Luna said warmly standing beside her sister. At these statements the six ponies bowed their heads.

“Oh come now, you can all drop the formalities, you are among friends.” The sun goddess said with a warm smile.

“Okay princess.” The six friends took their seats at the massive table along with the two royal sisters. Princess celestia started to speak.

“You know, I am not to fond of this big table, It reminds me too much of business.” The princess’s horn began to glow. “Lets get a little bit more relaxed.” The table began to shake, and then flashed with magic. The once grand table that lay before them was now a medium sized circular table. “So much better, now I can see and hear all of you.” Celestia said with a small chuckle. The six friends now readjusting themselves to the table. “Now then, let’s eat.”

As the feast commenced the usually quiet Canterlot grand dinning hall erupted with stories, gossip and laughter. However, not every pony was enjoying themselves. As her friends talked with the princess, Rainbow dash remained silent, barely eating any of the delicious food that laid before her. The princess of the night took noticed and whispered to the earth pony sporting a stetson hat.

“We do not wish to intrude Applejack but, what is the matter with Rainbow dash? She has barely eaten anything.”

“Well, Rainbow has been having nightmares lately and ah think it’s starting to get to her.” Applejack said to the blue princess. By this time the rest of the group had chimed into their conversation.

“AJ!” Rainbow yelled.

“Sorry, RD But the princess was just curious why ya ain’t acting like yer usual self, and for the record so are the rest of us.” Applejack said with a demanding look.

“I apologize Rainbow dash, I did not want to cause you any offense.” “It’s alright princess, but it’s nothing really.” Rainbow said with a grin.

“Have you forgotten what happened on the train sweetie?” Rarity said with a criticizing look.

“What happened on the train?” Princess Celestia asked Twilight.

“Rainbow woke up screaming from a dream on the way over here, and we got into a fight.” Twilight said to her mentor.

“ALMOST got into a fight.” Applejack exclaimed. “Luckily Fluttershy used her “Stare” on them and prevented them from hurting one another.” Hearing this all eyes turned on Rainbow dash.

“Okay, okay I’ll tell you all what happened in my dream.” Rainbow said reluctantly.

She began her story of the nightmare that had plagued her for almost a week. Hearing the details, her friends and even the two princess’s looked shocked.

“And then I woke up lying on the cabin floor looking up at Twilight.” Said rainbow dash finishing her story. As she looked around the table she saw faces of shock, confusion and worry.

“Well Rainbow I’m beginning to see why you didn’t want to tell us, that sounds just sounds horrid.” Rarity said with a surprised look on her face.

“I know, but I can feel that It’s just getting worse; I haven’t had a good night’s sleep in a week. Now after what happened on the train today I’m scared to try.” Rainbow said tears starting to appear in her eyes. Fluttershy gave her friend a comforting hug.

“So Rainbow these have been reoccurring nightmares?” The sun goddess said while using her magic to refill her teacup.

“Yeah same dream and same pegasus.” She said regaining her composure.

“Do you know this stallion?” Luna asked.

“No, but his coat is dark blue, white mane and tail, scars all over his body, piercing red eyes and he had a weird pendant.” Hearing this the princess had a quizzical look on her face.

“About this pendant, what did it look like?”

“It was shield shaped and had a lightning bolt in the center.” said Rainbow dash. Celestia’s concentration was broken in shock of hearing this, which caused her teacup to fall to the ground with a smash.

“Rainbow Dash are you absolutely sure he looked like that?” Celestia said with concern in her eyes.

“Yeah, I’m sure. Why do you know him?” Celestia looked in horror as she made the connection in her mind. She then glanced over at Luna who had the same confused look as Rainbow dash.

“I think I know the stranger that haunts your dreams my dear.” Celestia said with a shred of horror in her voice.