• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 2,730 Views, 35 Comments

The Price of Loyalty - Silentpegasus



Rainbow Dash is having nighmares. But they're only dreams....... right?

  • ...
5
 35
 2,730

Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Scorch woke up in a comfortable bed and to the smell of sterile air. He observed his surroundings and realized that Flash was in the hospital bed next to him. His attention then turned to the mare and stallion that laid in beds opposite him and his friend. They were the two that jumped and beat the living hay out of them.

“Oh good your awake.” His attention now turned to the nurse who had just entered the room. She was a unicorn, pink coat, red mane and a band aid for a cutie mark.

“What happened?” Scorch asked rubbing his head with his front right hoof.

“You two were brought into emergency care around 10:00 PM two nights ago, and these two were brought in around ten minutes after you.” She said pointing to the other two ponies in beds. She then walked over and examined Flash’s chart.

“Wait We’ve been in the hospital for two days straight?” Scorch said as he sat up in shock.

“That’s correct.” She said starting to look at Scorch’s chart.

“So whats the damage doctor?” Scorch asked as he lied back onto his bed.

“Nurse if you don’t mind. You have a cracked rib, a fractured wing and some minor swelling in your brain.” She said.

“And Flash?”

“Your friend has the worst of it I’m afraid, both wings broken, cheek bone cracked, is currently concussed and is unconscious.” She said with regret in her voice. Scorch looked down at his hooves in sadness. The nurse then came over and put a hoof on his shoulder. “I know things look bad but you both will make a full recovery, in time.”

“Wait, you said “brought in.” who brought us in here? This doesn’t look like the barrack’s med bay.” He said perking up.

“You’re in Canterlot General, and to who admitted you, you’ll meet her in a few moments.” The mare said as she exited the room. As she left Princess Celestia entered the room with a warm smile.

“Thank goodness you’re awake.” She said with a smile on her face.
“Princess Celestia I cannot thank you enough for saving my friend and I.” Scorch said.

“Ugh.. my head.” Scorch and Celestia both looked over to see Flash rising from his laid back position. “ What happened?” He said with a groggy voice. The princess began to explain.

“Well I was walking the streets of Canterlot, when I heard a rather strange commotion in the alley way when I found...” Celestia was cut off by Scorch.

“Pardon me princess but he’s not going to get all that in his current state.” Scorch then turned his head back to his friend. “Basically we got in a bar fight and ended up in the hospital.” He said.

“So, a typical Friday night for us?” Flash said rubbing his head.

“Yeah, for the most part.” Scorch said with a grin. The princess couldn’t help but giggle at the statement.

“That wouldn’t have happened if you hadn’t caught us off guard.” All heads now turned to the awake and bandaged mare and stallion, now both awake laying across from Scorch and Flash.

“Bullshit, if anything you caught us off guard.” Flash said laying back in his bed.

“Thats enough out of both of you.” Celestia said with a commanding tone.

“Sorry your highness.” Flash said with a sigh.

“Oh you’re not nearly as sorry as you’re gonna be when I get done with you.” The stallion exclaimed as he rose from his laid back position.

“SOLDIER! THATS ENOUGH!” Celestia bellowed without a shred of sympathy in her voice. “That is hardly the attitude I expect from a Royal guard, sergeant.” Celestia said as her gaze bore into the damaged pony.

“Sorry your highness, we’re just anxious to get out of here and start our mission with our new recruits.” The stallion said with a heavy breath. Scorch’s ears perked up.

“Wait a second you two are getting new recruits?”

“Yes, we are a part of a “special” unit, my partner and I are part of a squad that is made up of only four ponies.” The mare said with condescending look.

“What’s the unit number?” Flash asked.

“Unit seventeen. Why?” Scorch and flash looked at one another in disbelief, either that they managed to beat up their future mentors or that they were in for the worst time of their lives. Scorch finally broke the seemingly never ending silence.

“You’ve got to be BUCKING KIDDING ME!!”

The stallion and mare put the pieces together in their heads.

“YOU TWO? You’re who 's joining our squad?” The stallion blurted out.

“Yeah, we just got out of the academy two days ago.” Flash snarled.

“Who in the name of Equestria selected you two for our squad?” The mare said raising her front hooves in the air.

“I did.” all eyes turned to the sun goddess.

“These two stallions scored at top of their class and achieved the highest scores in combat exercises, although I think you can make that assessment for yourself.” Celestia said giving the two guards a cold stare. The stallion was about to protest until Celestia shot a hoof in front of him. “I believe that that is enough arguing for one day. I suggest that you all get acquainted with one another, seeing that you will be spending a lot more time together.” The sun goddess then left the room. As soon as the princess left, the four then gave each other a look that would make a dragon shutter in fear.

The four spent the next two hours eyeing each other, looking for an excuse to pummel one another. Finally the mare broke the silence.

“Okay listen, maybe we got off on the wrong hoof. I’ll be the adult here and suggest that we at least introduce ourselves. My name is Misty Breeze, you can call me Breeze if you want to, and my partner here is Shattered Lance or Lance for short.” She said pointing over to the angered pegasus laying in the bed adjacent to her.

“Nice to meet you.” Flash said with sarcasm in his voice.

“I’m Night Scorcher or just “Scorch” for short. My friend over there is Blazing Flash.” Scorch said trying to help the conversation along.

“I suppose you can call me Flash, if you want to.” He said letting out a big sigh.

“Charmed.” Breeze said adding a little sarcasm to her voice.

“Look like it or not we’re all in the same boat. We have to work together, I’m willing to burry the hatchet if you guys are. Deal?” Scorch said eyeing the two guards that had nearly beat him half to death.

Lance and Breeze looked at each other as though they were having a telepathic conversation.

“Fine,on one condition.” Lance said in a harsh tone.

“What is it?” Flash asked sounding annoyed. Lance turned his gaze towards Scorch.

“When we were fighting in the alley way you used some type of magic on us. How did you do that?” Scorch was shocked at this statement.

“What are you talking about? I’m not a unicorn, I can’t do magic.”

“Any yet you managed to stop our movement without raising an eyebrow.” Breeze interjected.

“Hey listen I don’t know anything about...” Scorch was cut off by a nurse entering the room.

“Alright every pony. That’s enough chit chat for one night you all need your rest.” The nurse said giving a final check of their charts.

“Hey nurse, when are we gonna get out of here?” Lance asked.

“You all are scheduled to leave in four weeks.”

“Thank you nurse.” Breeze said as the nurse exited the room. The four ponies decided that the nurse was right, they all needed their sleep and decided turn in for the night.

The next two weeks seemed to go by fairly quickly, the four pegasi began to talk more often in a more relaxed tone. They managed to find common interests in sports, food and travel.

“Yeah, they wanted me to be a carpenter.” Flash said as he laughed in his bed. The other three pegasi chuckled at the thought of him using a hammer and nail. Their conversation was interrupted by a visit from Princess Celestia.

“Well, I’m glad to see you all are getting along.” She said with a warm smile.

“We’re starting to tolerate one another.” Flash said with a smirk.

“Excellent.” Celestia said as she turned towards the door.

“Wait princess.” Scorch said raising a hoof.

“What is it?” she asked raising an eyebrow.

“Out of all the recruits at the academy why did you choose us? I mean did we just get picked out of a raffle or something?” Scorch asked as he motioned his hoof between Flash and himself.

“I’ve been wondering that myself.” Lance interjected.

“Like I said before, you two scored top...”

“Um your majesty, no offense but Scorch and I were mediocre at best in the academy. We were surprised that we even graduated.” Flash interjected. Misty Breeze and Shattered Lance both looked surprised at this statement.

“Okay, I suppose if you must know I chose you two because Scorch has a gift.” Celestia said taking a few steps away from the door.

“What gift are you talking about?” Scorch with a dumbfounded look on his face.

“I saw this the night I found you in the alley, I witnessed your loyalty to your friend here and that ability you used to stop those two in their tracks.” she said using her hoof to point towards Lance and Breeze.

The three mangled ponies then looked at their dark blue companion.

“I told you something was up with him.” Lance said looking back to Breeze.

“The gift you possess is unlike anything I have ever seen before, to be able to freeze an enemy simply by looking at them.” Celestia said in amazement. Flash shifted his gaze from the princess to his friend.

“You can do that?” Flash said in amazement.

“I didn’t even know I could. It just happened.” Scorch said.

“Regardless. It is why I selected you to take part in a special position at the castle.” Celestia said looking back at Scorch.

“What do you mean by “special position”?” Scorch asked making quotation gestures with his front hooves. “You will see when you report for duty. In the mean time I suggest you all get some rest, you are all going to need it.” Celestia said as she exited the hospital room. A still silence fell over the four companions at hearing this news.

“I knew it.. I bucking knew that there was something odd about you.” Lance said as he glared at Scorch.

“Oh pipe down Lancey, the kid obviously has no idea how to work this magic he supposedly has.” Breeze said. Both friends burst into laughter hearing the stallions name.

“BWAHAHAHAHAH, LANCEY?” Flash hollered at the top of his lungs. Scorch was almost as hysterical as his friend. Lance, flustered at the comment glared at his colleague.

“I told you NEVER to call me that Breeze-mire.” Lance said with a smirk. Now it was Breeze’s turn to blush. This statement made Flash fall off his bed.

“OH PLEASE MAKE IT STOP! YOU TWO ARE KILLING ME!” Flash said now rolling on the floor in a fit of laughter. The ponies settled down they decided to go to bed. Scorch stayed awake the longest thinking about his new “power” wondering if it is a gift or a curse.