• Published 22nd Oct 2012
  • 4,042 Views, 127 Comments

In the Hour of Twilight - Blue Dragon



As Twilight and Fluttershy start their relationship, Twilight learns not to take magic or her life for granted.

  • ...
18
 127
 4,042

A Dangerous Venture

Angel Bunny wasn’t the most patient of creatures. Now, Zecora had joined the weird band of misfits, consisting of him, Pinkie, and Spike the cowardly baby dragon. The zebra was the only one he really trusted, seeing as how he had been saved by her before.

“Are you certain you wish to go on? I’m afraid the Sphinx will not be withdrawn.” she said worriedly, directing her concerns toward Pinkie Pie and Spike.

“Yes, there’s no going back now! Twilight needs this antidote-thingy, so there’s absolutely no possible way for me to go back empty-hoofed! No sir-ee!” Pinkie replied as she led the crew determinedly through the throngs of trees in the Everfree Forest.

“Yeah, I can’t… I can’t give up on Twi now—not when she’s always been there for me.” Spike gulped, but even then he trotted up to keep pace with Pinkie Pie.

Angel hopped atop the zebra, deciding he’d rather not risk hurting his leg again. Besides, that was also his way of saying he wasn’t turning back either.

Zecora only smiled wistfully, and continued along with the others. The forest’s trees grew thickly around them, and it became darker the farther they went. Zecora pointed them in the right direction of where she assumed the Sphinx would be lying in wait.

Angel was only slightly nervous. He was going back into the den of a creature that had almost claimed his life—who wouldn’t be anxious? But the rabbit did have pride, so there was no way he was going to show his fear—especially not in front of the cowardly dragon.

“Do you think it might… you know, give the antidote to us without a fight?” Spike’s voice was loud in the eerie silence of the Everfree, and Angel cast him a glare for possibly giving away their position. Zecora also didn’t seem to approve of his words.

“Don’t worry, Spike,” Pinkie replied, her eyes peeled, “We’ll get it. With or without a fight!”

The dragon nodded, and said no more. His footfalls were fast and even louder than his voice, though. Perhaps being without an owner scared Spike just as much as it did Angel. Not that he’d ever admit that.

Finally, the brush began to thin out into a clearing. Pinkie drew her limbs nearer to her body—this must have been the place they’d seen the Sphinx and battled it.

“Where did you last see the beast? Perhaps we can figure out if it is deceased.” The zebra was back to rhyming—apparently after the initial shock of the Magical Rebound Effect she’d calmed down.

Pinkie swallowed before trotting over to the center of the clearing, where a crater had formed. “Right… here. This is where Twilight blasted the Sphinx with a spell and he just… disappeared.”

“Hm…” The zebra trotted around the crater, shaking her head a few times. “There is no proof of the Sphinx’s demise. We must not make any assumptions if we plan to be wise.”

“Meaning…?” Spike scratched his head.

Pinkie answered him. “I think she’s saying the Sphinx is still alive, Spikey.” The dragon’s shoulders slumped and he sighed.

“I was afraid you were gonna say that…”

Angel Bunny rolled his eyes. There was never any doubt the Sphinx was still alive in his mind.

“We must begin our search, before the Sphinx learns of our perch.”

Suddenly, as if responding to Zecora’s voice, the bushes where the Sphinx had first originated began rustling. Spike dove behind Pinkie, and everyone tensed.

“There is no need,
For it is very easy to see your breed.
I fret killing one of your kind,
But my master told me to keep him in mind.”

The Sphinx appeared from the bushes, only with a meaner look on his face. Scars covered his face and all over his body, but he was very much alive. Pinkie scowled at him angrily.

“You hurt my friend, ya big meanie!” Behind her, Spike shook in terror. Zecora stood confidently with an almost more confident looking rabbit on her back. The Sphinx gave Pinkie a heated look before turning back to Zecora.

“Zebras are my weakness,
With their lack of numbers and uniqueness.
I am willing to give you my test,
Which few have been able to come out as best.
Now, I must ask, do you accept my request?”

Angel didn’t make much sense of what the Sphinx was asking, and only glared at him. Pinkie looked like she was shaking from anger, while Spike was still cowering. Zecora noticed all of these things simultaneously.

“I would prefer to hear what it is I am to do, before the challenge I begin to pursue.”

The Sphinx nodded in acknowledgement, and perhaps respect at the zebra’s own rhymes. It began to speak its challenge:

“There is but one true prize to my riddle,
And it is something I was meant to keep, not belittle,
But for a soul so logical and lacking the cheater’s magic,
I shall make an exception.”

“HEY! Twilight isn’t a cheater, you—“Spike clamped a claw over Pinkie’s muzzle to stop her from upsetting the Sphinx. The beast only continued its riddle.

“In this forest, there lies a secret,
That rests in my cave at its deepest,
I require you to solve the puzzle,
And bring to me the answer that you find.
Once the contract has been signed,
One thing left behind,
And a soul to forever weep,
The Crystal Antidote will be yours to keep.”

Zecora pondered these words. Then, gravely, she nodded. The Sphinx’s smile widened until it looked almost as if it were leering at her, perhaps cackling inwardly at her stupidity. It then stepped aside and pushed the bushes away, revealing its den. Angel and Spike both mutually gulped at the sight, but the ponies stepped up almost fearlessly. The group stepped into the cave, and disappeared into its depths.

Only three of them would return.


Rainbow Dash had never flown quite as fast as she did now. Nopony could compare—not even the captain of the Wonderbolts, Spitfire herself. The rainbow-maned pegasus rushed through the skies, not even flinching as wind tore at her wings and fur.

She knew she was getting close to Ponyville, even though night had already been cast over the land. There was no way she was going to be the reason Twilight didn’t make it. She’d never forgive herself. Fluttershy would be so crushed…

Soon, Rainbow Dash was gliding over the town. She’d never spoken to Time Turner before, and only considered him to be a “loony pony” with a few loose screws upstairs. Soon, she was landing at his doorstep and knocking loudly.

“Just a moment!” a stallion’s voice said in an accent Rainbow determined as “Proper Equestrian,” which were mostly the easterners, or those that were taught to speak a certain way for generations.

Finally, a brown pony with a sand timer on his flank answered the door. He looked somewhat annoyed. “What’re you doin’ here?”

“Time Turner! I know I’ve never actually talked to you before, but my friend really needs you!” Rainbow pleaded, but was only met with a confused expression.

“Who are you?”

The pegasus pulled Time Turner out of his home. “Look, that’s not important! We need to go now.”

“What?! I will not be taken outta my home by some brute the likes of you!” he retorted angrily. The stallion reared back and was resisting Rainbow immediately.

“You’re a doctor, aren’t you? My friend Twilight has this thing called the Magic Rebound Effect and you’re her only hope! She’s only got so much time left, so we’ve gotta move fast. I’m not afraid to use force, either!”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about. Me, a doctor? You must be joking!” His eyes were nervous. “I’m just a stallion that’s lived his whole life in Ponyville.”

“Look, we need you. You gotta come!” Dash tried again.

“I’m not the doctor anymore, alright? Leave me be!” Time Turner pulled away from the pegasus, glaring daggers at her. There was some hurt in his voice, thinly concealed behind his anger. He began to make his way back into his house.

“Wait!” The stallion only stopped his trot, but did not look back at her. Rainbow continued quieter. “My friend’s life is on the line. If I don’t bring you back, she’ll die. She’s the Element of Magic—one of the Elements of Harmony, and her cutie mark is magic. She keeps me and the rest of our friends together. If she hadn’t show up in Ponyville, I’d still be that same old Rainbow Dash that bragged and had only her pride to back her up. I’m not asking you to come to Canterlot because you’re really smart, but because I know you can save her. Please, Time Turner…”

Rainbow was sure she’d never sounded so pathetic, but at the same time, it was liberating. Time Turner just stood there, his back facing the other pony.

Then, he walked into his house without a word.

Dash let her head drop. She was such a failure—she had no doctor, no friends, and no way of saving Twilight. She couldn’t believe she’d let the only way of saving Twilight without consequences slip through her hooves!

She felt a hoof on her shoulder, so she looked up to see who could possibly still be around. Time Turner was there, his other hoof holding what looked like a screwdriver.

“I understand what it’s like to lose someone important.”

The two had a moment of mutual understanding, in which Rainbow couldn’t believe her eyes. He’d only gone back inside for whatever it was in his hoof… and he wanted to save Twilight? That was—that was good news! She’d done it! Twilight was gonna be okay!

“But I do have something you may want to know before we go anywhere… Are you friends with a pink mare and purple dragon?”

Dash’s heart leapt at the thought of Pinkie. “What? Did something happen to them?”

Time Turner shook his head. “Nah, not really. They just marched right off a train and straight into the Everfree Forest is all.”

“Seriously?!” The pegasus face-hoofed and groaned. “I can’t believe this! Urgh, Pinkie is so stupid sometimes! Great, I can’t just go back to Canterlot knowing she’s walking straight into a death trap—but if I do go save her then… what will happen to Twilight?”

She scrunched her eyes tightly and pressed both hooves over them. This was impossible! She couldn’t choose between two friends—not when both could die, and not when she was in love with one!

“Perhaps we ought to split ways for a little while?”

Dash barely heard the male speak over her thoughts. “What do you mean?” She peeked over the tips of her hooves at the stallion, who only shrugged.

“What I’m saying is you save your sweetheart and I make my way to Canterlot by train. Eventually, you catch up with me at the hospital—which is where this Twilight Sparkle is currently residing, correct?”

“Yeah, that’s ri—hey, how did you know her last name was Sparkle? And that I like Pinkie?” Rainbow’s voice had a hint of accusation in it. Time Turner winked.

“Lucky guess, that’s all. I’d best be on my way if I want to make it there by mornin’… Guess I’ll see ya there.” Time Turner nodded at her, before trotting toward the train station. “Oh!” He suddenly seemed to remember something, and looked back at the cyan pony. “Good luck!”

Then he continued on his way, as if everything was completely normal. Each step filled with purpose toward a new destination…

Somehow, Rainbow had complete confidence in this stallion. He seemed to be genuinely interested in saving Twilight. Maybe it was her mind playing tricks on her, telling her she could trust Time Turner, but she wanted to believe in him.

Loyalty came with trust.

With that, Rainbow dashed off toward the Everfree Forest in search of Pinkie and Spike—heck, maybe she’d even get back to Time Turner before the train left. She just hoped she wasn’t too late.


“There is a trick in the midst of the Sphinx’s words…” Zecora spoke once they were well enough away from the beast. “He assumes it went by unheard.”

“He was givin’ me the creeps…” Spike commented with a shiver not entirely from the cool of the cave. Pinkie remained silent—most likely brooding over the Sphinx’s rudeness toward Twilight. “And just what did he mean by those last couple of lines? ‘One thing left behind, a soul to forever weep?’ I don’t get it!” the dragon continued with a snort.

Zecora shook her head as they continued to walk. “It means exactly as he has spoken. We will leave behind something in this cave, and someone’s will shall be broken. But that is not what troubles me; what I am finding difficult is what this secret could be.”

Pinkie finally spoke up. “Isn’t it supposed to be the antidote?”

“No,” Zecora answered simply, “the antidote will be our prize. A puzzle will be our surprise—but I fear what will happen once we do solve it.”

Silence reigned as they continued deeper into the cave until total darkness dominated. They clung to each other—some more dignified than others—to avoid getting lost. Angel just held on to Zecora’s mane.

Soon, they arrived at a lit up part of the cave. Torches were placed all around the room, though the fire didn’t seem to be running out at all. A pedestal stood directly in the center, with what looked to be a pressure-sensitive plate atop it—not unlike that of a button. Strewn across the floor, if you looked with a keen eye, were thin ropes that probably tripped traps when you touched them. And, even worse, were the stone ponies littered across the floor. They all wore similar expressions of terror and surprise, though some were reaching for the pedestal in the middle.

Apparently some ponies had tried to get the treasure before.

What struck Angel odd, though, was that each one lacked wings and a horn, which made them all earth ponies.

Spike gulped. “A-are those—are they real ponies?” He pointed a shaky claw toward one of them.

Pinkie looked toward Zecora, who was still analyzing the scene in front of them. Angel then wondered why the path here was so straight—like, it was impossible to miss this room. Perhaps everyone who accepted the challenge was meant to get to this point, but then something happened…

“I am certain that those are real. I fret what caused them to befall this ordeal.” Spike was about to step into the room—about to trip over one of the strings—until Zecora pulled him back roughly. “Do not rush through, you silly boy! This trial is not meant to be a toy.”

She motioned for everyone to step back as she examined the nearest string thoroughly, just in case she accidentally touched it. She reached a conclusion soon enough.

“If anyone or anypony happens to touch these strings, I fear they will become stone like these things.”

“What are we supposed to do then?” Pinkie asked miserably. Spike’s eyes nervously traced every detail of the room, as well as the space around him.

“We must continue with care, and figure out the secret this cavern has in its snare.” Angel glanced around the room, realizing he was the most careful of the bunch. He also happened to be the smallest, and most agile. If anyone could investigate further, it was him.

So, he hopped of the zebra and proceeded toward the room. He feared nothing ahead of him—not in the least. He was only afraid of things that directly concerned him.

…Okay, so he was scared. But only a little!

Immediately, the dragon was uttering, “Angel, what’re you doing?!”

The rabbit carefully stepped over the first string, which ensured that none of the others would be able to stop him. Pinkie tried to follow him as well, but Zecora pushed her back.

“The rabbit knows what he is doing. His love for Fluttershy is what he must be proving.”

Angel decided to ignore that last bit. He didn’t love anyone—or pony. He just tolerated her presence…

So what if he loved the butter-colored pegasus? Gosh, everyone is so quick to judge…

The bunny delved deeper through the weaves of strings, wary of his every movement. His first destination was to a stone-pony, to see if he could figure out what had petrified them. It was obviously not natural—seemed like something a Cockatrice would do.

Eventually he neared a mare that’d looked like she was trying to escape before she’d been petrified. The look on her face was one of pure fright, her eyes wide open. It almost looked as if she’d been looking at something behind her—the pedestal, no doubt—when she’d been frozen in time.

Angel placed a paw over her muzzle, and traced up to her eyes. The stone felt the same; cold, lifeless, and hard. There was nothing besides the initial appearance of the statue that made it seem like a pony. The rabbit leaned in and sniffed the stone, but there was no scent. Whatever had happened to this poor soul, it wasn’t by something that touched her.

But then again, this could’ve happened a long, long, time ago.

Angel continued to investigate through his last two un-used senses—he pressed an ear against as close to her heart as he could get, but heard no beat, and licked tentatively. Tasteless.

She was as dead as a doornail.

The rabbit turned towards the on-lookers. Spike was gagging, most likely from the thought of tasting dead ponies. Zecora and Pinkie, however, gave him curious looks. He shook his head and shrugged, not sure what else he could say. Then, he held a paw up to his neck and slid it across—signaling to them that these ponies really were dead and he had no idea what had done it.

Then, Angel looked around for something else he could check. The torches and pedestal were the only things left that he was sure he could look at without somehow ending up petrified. But the torches were way too high for him to reach, and even if he could bounce that high, there was no guarantee he’d land safely on the ground and not on any strings.

So, the rabbit set his sights on the pedestal—the creepiest thing in this room. It demanded all attention, which he found somewhat suspicious.

Angel began walking slowly to the center of the room, dodging every string and pony neatly.

However, his composure didn’t last. He hadn’t noticed one of the stone-pony’s tail jutting out just ahead of him until he’d tripped over it. Everypony at the entrance gasped and held their breath as Angel began furiously swatting at the air to regain his balance. There was one of those dreaded strings right underneath him—if he fell, he was a goner.

“Angel Bunny!” Pinkie’s voice rang out desperately.

Then, something clicked in his mind. Pinkie’s voice sounded just like Fluttershy’s in that moment, and it somehow gave him the strength to right himself. Angel, thankful to still be alive and on his feet, glanced back at the gang.

They all had similar expressions of relief, but his gaze was locked on the pink pony. He was torn between being angry that Pinkie had impersonated Fluttershy, or thankful that she did.

Angel looked back at the stone that’d tripped him, and kicked it lightly. Worthless piece of junk. At least he didn’t have to acknowledge the fact the pink pony had saved him.

Now that he’d expressed his hate for the thing that could’ve caused him his life, he continued (albeit more carefully) over to the pedestal. After a while of shuffling around, he finally made it. Checking to make sure it wasn’t surrounded in ropes, he pressed a paw against the stand.

It was rusty, and certainly not made of the same material as the statue ponies. It seemed older somehow, and made of wood.

But… not made of the same kind of wood found in the Everfree Forest. Angel continued his investigation as he clambered up the pedestal, intending to reach the top. The wood felt callous and unforgiving underneath his paws, and warm.

Wait.

Warm?

As soon as Angel reached the top, he made sure to only stand on the edge. The pressure-sensitive plate in the center begged to be pressed, but it looked like a switch for something dangerous. He looked back at the others with a questioning gaze, unsure of his next move.

Should he press the plate?

Before he could get a reasonable answer from any of them, his ears picked up on a whistling sound emanating from behind the zebra, dragon, and pony. He perked his ears and listened, trying to determine what it was.

None of the others noticed it—they didn’t have as sensitive ears as he did.

But just as he did figure out what it was, it was too late.

Author's Note:

I'm interested in what you guys think about this challenge... What do you think will be left behind, and what about 'a soul to forever weep?' I'm curious to see what you think is going to happen overall, as well. Anyway, I look forward to writing more - we're almost done - and I hope you guys look forward to reading more. 'Til next time! :)