• Published 22nd Oct 2012
  • 4,026 Views, 127 Comments

In the Hour of Twilight - Blue Dragon



As Twilight and Fluttershy start their relationship, Twilight learns not to take magic or her life for granted.

  • ...
18
 127
 4,026

Ignorance is Bliss

“What?” Twilight stared incredulously at the baby dragon.

“Princess Celestia wants me to visit her in Canterlot right now. She wants me to take a break from Ponyville.” Spike said before showing Twilight the letter herself.

What the dragon had said was true. Princess Celestia even enclosed a train ticket and reserved a suite in the castle for him. Twilight wondered what her mentor was planning to do, and how long she intended to keep him for.

“…You’d better pack only the necessities, Spike. The train leaves in an hour.” The unicorn hoofed over the train ticket.

“Yeah, I guess a break from Ponyville is what I need…” Spike walked over to his basket and pulled out a small suitcase he’d hidden underneath it. He was probably thinking about running away earlier. “Don’t worry about me anymore, Twi. I’m okay now.”

He smiled at her, and she found herself believing him.

“Alright, Spike. Do you want me to tell anypony that you’ll be leaving?” Twilight asked.

“…No thanks. I don’t really want to say goodbye or anything. Especially to Rarity…” Spike stuffed his blanket into his suitcase with more force than necessary.

“If you say so…I’ll be back in a bit, Spike.” Twilight waited for him to give his consent, to make sure that he was completely okay. The assistant merely nodded his understanding before continuing packing. She figured he’d want some privacy.

Twilight walked slowly out of the room, still giving him time to stop her. He never did. Spike was maturing fast. The unicorn had to remind herself that he was actually growing up.

Once out of the library, Twilight sighed. It hurt her to see him like this, but it was bound to happen. She tried not to blame Rarity for it, even if it was hard. Besides, she didn’t want to be harsh on her friend if she had a good reason.

Twilight was at the Carousel Boutique in no time. The closed sign was still on the outside, but she couldn’t hear crying anymore. Twilight pushed the door open; the bell signaling her entry.

“We’re closed right now! Whoever you are, would you please just—“Rarity trotted down the stairs and stopped speaking when she saw who was in her shop. Her eyebrows knit together closely.

“Oh, Twilight dear… What are you doing here?” The marshmallow pony went the rest of the way down the stairs. She looked terrible. Rarity’s makeup was smeared, her mane thrown about, and her coat was matted in several places.

“I think you know why I’m here, Rarity…” Twilight tried not to sound angry, but some of it seeped through anyway. “Can we talk about it?”

“How about over tea, darling?” Rarity looked pleadingly into Twilight’s eyes, almost forcing her to give in.

“That’s fine.” The lavender mare managed a small, forced smile, with which the other mare returned. Twilight followed Rarity into her kitchen and took a seat at her table while the other pony put tea on the stove.

Stiffly, the marshmallow unicorn walked over and sat opposite of Twilight. “How is Spike?”

“He’s been better,” The lavender mare stared down at the table, “What exactly happened?”

Rarity let out a sigh. “Spike visited me out of the blue and gave me a cupcake. It was a very sweet gesture, but I could tell that wasn’t the only reason he’d come. I asked him if there was something on his mind, and then he…confessed.” The tea started to whistle. “Oh, I’d better go get that…”

Twilight reached over and placed her hoof over Rarity’s. “No, keep going.” The white mare stared at her hoof for a long second before sitting back down. Twilight magically moved the kettle on a different burner before looking back at Rarity expectantly.

“I…wasn’t sure how to react. I don’t have any feelings for him, but I care for him dearly. You see darling, I have my eye on somepony else that’s really close to him.” Rarity glanced at Twilight, “I didn’t mean to make him cry, and I feel terrible for it…”

Twilight set aside the issue. “Are you okay, Rarity…? You don’t look very good…” Rarity raised a hoof to her face subconsciously.

“I’m not sure what to do, honestly, dear. Do I really look that bad?” Rarity frowned.

Twilight ignored her question, remembering what Princess Celestia had told her in the letter. “Do you want to talk about it? I’m here for you, Rarity. Maybe I can help you with something.”

“Thank you, darling, but I don’t think that’d be possible… Would you mind staying for awhile, though? Perhaps that would do me some good.” Rarity smiled weakly.

“Sure… I’m worried about you, Rarity. Will you be okay?” Twilight pried.

“Twilight… Love is a strange, elusive thing, and is hard to predict.” The lavender mare nodded her agreement pensively.

“I guess you’re right. Love is unpredictable.” She smiled, thinking about Fluttershy. Rarity stared at her.

“Have you fallen in love with somepony, Twilight?” She thought for a moment. Could it be considered love?

“I think so.” Twilight tilted her head in confusion. “How do you know the difference between love and simple affection, or even friendship?”

Rarity gave her a flat look. “You…are serious? How do you think of this pony?”

“Well…” Twilight had a dreamy look on her face. “She’s graceful and gentle. I’ve known her for a long time, and she’s beautiful. Recently she’s been the only thing on my mind. Her quiet demeanor…Warm and fuzzy coat…” She spoke distractedly.

Rarity watched with a calculating expression. “If you don’t mind my asking, darling, who is this somepony?”

Twilight smiled bashfully, not noticing Rarity’s terseness. “I’m not sure if I should say who she is. We haven’t told anypony yet…”

“I can keep a secret, darling! Please, won’t you tell me?” Rarity gazed at the other unicorn pleadingly. Twilight tipped her head slightly, wondering why her friend was being so insistent.

“…Fluttershy.” Rarity adopted a grimace and swallowed visibly.

“I-I see. And you two are…together?” Twilight looked at her fellow unicorn and nodded. Rarity sighed wistfully before whispering under her breath.

“I can’t believe she made a move before I could…”

“What was that?” Twilight hadn’t heard properly.The marshmallow pony only shook her head and smiled unsuccessfully.

“It’s nothing.” The lavender mare frowned thoughtfully. Rarity seemed really out of it, and unbearably sad. She hated seeing her friends this way—and having two of them so upset was almost too much.

“Are you sure you’re okay, Rarity?” Twilight watched her closely.

“…I’ll get over it, eventually. Hopefully.” She pressed a hoof to her face and her lip quivered.

Twilight decided not to press the matter any further, lest her friend become annoyed with her. Plus, she wasn’t sure where the conversation was going. She smiled reassuringly, remembering another problem.

“Oh! Will you be able to go to the Everfree Forest with me, Rarity? Princess Celestia wants the Elements of Harmony to investigate a dangerous creature there, as it seems to be putting other animals and possibly ponies at risk.”

Rarity tried to smile. “Of course, darling.” The tea sat on the stovetop, completely forgotten.

“It’s a pretty important matter; if you aren’t busy, would you mind gathering Pinkie Pie and Applejack at the library? I can go get Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. That way, we can do this quickly and efficiently. Is that okay with you?”

Rarity stood up. “I couldn’t simply say no to that, but would it be alright to clean myself up first? I don’t really want to go out in public like this, darling…”

Twilight got up as well. “I guess that’d be okay, as long as you don’t take very long. We don’t want anypony to get hurt.”

“I won’t be long; you can go ahead and gather the pegasi.” Rarity effectively shooed Twilight out of her home. The unicorn went into the bathroom to freshen up, shedding a few tears along the way.


Twilight wasn’t sure where Rainbow Dash would be, so she decided to head to Fluttershy’s cottage first. Besides, she did want to see her marefriend again. She was sure to brighten up her mood.

However, when she arrived, nopony was in sight. Twilight knocked on the door, but there was no response whatsoever. Confused, she knocked with a little more force.

This time, the door opened, but nopony was there. Twilight stared at the empty space for several seconds before she thought of something. The unicorn looked down at the ground and, sure enough, an injured white rabbit was staring at her with an annoyed expression and crossed arms.

“…Is Fluttershy here, Angel?” She tried. The animal glared, and Twilight remembered their little clash back at the hospital. Obviously he wasn’t going to give any information.

In fact, the bunny slammed the door in her face. Maybe he had more of a grudge than she’d initially thought.

“H-Hey!” She fumed before turning around in her rage. She raised her hind legs to kick the door down, but never followed through.

“Twilight?” She looked up to see the very two pegasi she’d been looking for. Bashfully, the unicorn lowered her hooves back onto the ground and smiled in vain.

“Hey, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash…That wasn’t what it looked like.” Rainbow Dash started laughing.

“Hahaha! You egghead!” She practically fell out of the sky from her snickering.

The yellow pegasus fluttered down next to Twilight with a concerned look on her face. “Umm…Twilight? Are you okay?”

Twilight blushed in embarrassment when Rainbow kept cackling. “Yeah, I’m okay. I was asking Angel where you were, and he…shut the door. Anyways, there was something important I needed to talk to you two about.”

The cyan pony managed to control her laughter for only a single moment. “Are you going to ask Flutters to marry you? And that I’ll be your best mare? Bahahaha!”

The unicorn’s face turned into a new shade of red as she gave her marefriend a panicked look. She hadn’t realized that Rainbow knew about their relationship. Fluttershy’s ears folded down self-consciously.

“N-No,” Twilight stuttered, “Why would you suggest that?”

Dash seemed eager to respond. She had an amused smirk plastered on her muzzle when she replied in a drawn out manner, “Well, you see, Twilight… I was lookin’ for Fluttershy here, to make sure she was still okay, and I ended up looking in the Everfree Forest after that bunny,” She shot a look at the closed door, “made me bake him a cake! Anyway, after I heroically went in to save the day, I ended up seeing you two kissing like you didn’t have tomorrow!”

Twilight wasn’t sure what was hotter at that moment—her or the sun. Fluttershy seemed to be suffering similarly.

Rainbow had a big smile, “I didn’t think an egghead could be so good at something like that! First at the Running of the Leaves, and now… This will be the second time you’ve surprised me!”

“Please don’t be so mean, Rainbow,” Fluttershy looked at her friend disapprovingly, still resembling a cherry.

“I’m not being mean! I’m just telling the truth.” She muttered with a lopsided grin.

“R…Rainbow… I did have something important I needed to let you know. You too, Fluttershy.” The pegasi turned back to Twilight expectantly.

The unicorn cleared her throat. “We, the Elements of Harmony, will be investigating the threat in the Everfree Forest on Princess Celestia’s orders. We’re meeting in the library within the hour. That’s okay with you two, right?”

They both nodded before Rainbow gained a devious smirk. She flew next to Fluttershy and whispered something in her ear. Twilight was a little curious when she saw the yellow pony blush and shake her head.

However, the cyan mare took to the sky and glanced slyly back at Twilight. “I’m going to go ahead and get to the library. Don’t take forever!”

The unicorn didn’t get a word in edgewise before she was off. Twilight stared at the rainbow trail for a few seconds, wondering just what she’d said to Fluttershy. She was going to ask her companion, but decided against it and dismissed the thought.

She looked back at Fluttershy and beamed. “Shall we get going, then?” The pegasus smiled back and walked a little closer
to Twilight.


Rarity washed her smeared makeup off in the sink. She took a shaky breath in and pressed her hooves into her eyes. She felt worse than she looked. Anypony could tell that just by the fact that she didn’t really care what she looked like.

Her own best friend, with whom she treated like another sister, had made a move on the mare of her dreams. It was strange—she’d never mentioned the object of her affection to Fluttershy, and neither had she. It was almost ironic that they’d fallen for the same pony, and yet didn’t trust each other enough to bring it up. Or maybe it wasn’t a matter of trust…

Rarity felt more tears stain her already drenched fur. At first she’d thought she still had a chance, that maybe it was somepony she could outshine, but Fluttershy… Rarity was the Element of Generosity—she couldn’t take Twilight from her very own best friend. The pegasus would cry for who knows how long, and the unicorn wouldn’t ever be able to think of herself the same way.

But still… She’d thought that Twilight was the one. That mare had everything—smarts, beauty, charm, connections to the higher-ups… When Rarity had first started to realize her own feelings, she was stunned that they were directed towards a mare. She ignored them, but they only grew until she couldn’t help but notice Twilight’s modest appeal.

But that didn’t matter now. Rarity let out a choked sob. She had to pull herself together. She had to pretend to be okay. She had to.

Rarity looked at her reflection in the mirror, feeling depression weigh down on her. She dried her face, pleading to herself that nopony would notice and that she’d be able to keep her tears in. The unicorn told herself that she’d have time to cry later. She didn’t know how true that was.


Twilight and Fluttershy walked at a moderately slow pace. The lavender mare had a feeling that Rarity wasn’t working with haste in mind. Even if she was acting strange, the marshmallow pony would definitely take the time to make sure her mane was just right.

Besides, a little extra time alone with her special somepony was always nice. Once, Twilight playfully brushed her tail against Fluttershy’s flank. The pegasus squeaked and blushed, but she did return the gesture lightly.

Once they got into town, however, they walked a little farther apart. It was understood between them that not many ponies knew about their relationship, and it’d be a little scary to see the town’s reaction. Twilight missed the feel of Fluttershy’s side on hers, and she wasn’t sure why she blurted out what she did.

“…Spike confessed to Rarity.”

Fluttershy’s eyes widened and she stopped walking. “He…He did?”

Twilight stopped moving as well, nodding solemnly. “Yes. She rejected him… I talked to her a little before going to get you two. She’s acting really weird and was talking about how she’s in love with somepony. Rarity wouldn’t tell me, but seeing as how you two are a lot closer, I was hoping that maybe you could figure out what’s wrong and help her out. What do you think?”

Fluttershy had a look of guilt at the beginning of Twilight’s dialogue, but it quickly changed into one of concern. “Are they okay?”

Twilight began to walk slowly and the pegasus followed. “Spike will move on. Don’t tell anypony else, Fluttershy, but he’s going to Canterlot for a while. Princess Celestia thinks it will do him good. As for Rarity… I’m not sure. You’d probably get through to her better than I could.”

The yellow pony nodded, but said nothing. Twilight glanced at a clock on a nearby building, wondering if Spike was at the train station already. His train left in five minutes, so she assumed that he was already there.

The library appeared in the distance and Twilight could just barely make out several ponies through the door’s window. She found herself involuntarily speeding up.

Inside, everypony had already gathered. Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash… Luckily, Spike was gone. Twilight was sure they hadn’t taken very long on the way to the library. Rainbow must’ve noticed her curious expression.

“I went ahead and got ‘em all here while waiting for you two.” The pegasus smiled. “So what’s the plan, egghead?”

Author's Note:

This came out a little later than expected, but I think the quality was pretty good. (Trying to be humble here.) Anyway, look forward to the next chapter, which will be action-filled! Let me know if you see any mistakes, and if you liked this chapter.