• Published 22nd Oct 2012
  • 4,043 Views, 127 Comments

In the Hour of Twilight - Blue Dragon



As Twilight and Fluttershy start their relationship, Twilight learns not to take magic or her life for granted.

  • ...
18
 127
 4,043

I'll Love You No Matter What Happens

“What the heck?!” Rainbow exclaimed as she stared down at her own bloodied hooves. They were shaking. “I-I don’t—I don’t understand.”

Her gaze drifted upwards and met everyone else’s, one at a time. Horror dawned on her expression. “I can’t have… I can’t be deaf, right?”

Pinkie stepped closer and nuzzled the pegasus’ cheek, but Dash hardly noticed. It must have happened when her Rainboom had made contact with the cavern. The sound was amplified in the small space. Rainbow should’ve known—she shouldn’t have been so rash! If she’d been thinking straight, if she’d taken Spike’s advice to heart, then she could’ve found a way to avoid this. It would’ve been easy to plug her ears with something, or to have a plan in case something went wrong.

And now look where it got her.

Rainbow took in a shaky breath, blinking back tears. She spoke even though she could hear no words. “We have to keep going.”

She pushed Pinkie away and walked forward. Ahead, a new room had appeared—one that didn’t match the rest of the cave. The walls were white and smooth, its walls nothing more than a blank canvas. There was no other way out of the room than which they’d come, and the only things in it with them were several cans of paint. The others followed silently, brooding over their latest misfortune.

Spike walked up to a can and peered inside. His mouth formed the words, “It looks like paint. Maybe we have to color the walls?

He reached a claw down into the can, but a purple tentacle wrapped around his arm and pulled him in with a startled yelp.

“Spike!” Rainbow raced over to where the dragon had disappeared and she too stared down into the paint’s depths. The purple liquid looked normal, and there was no sign that her friend had just been taken hostage.

Without thinking, Dash shoved her muzzle into the paint can as far as she could, but was met with its steely bottom.

Spike was gone.

Rainbow pulled back, paint dripping from her face, and dared to look around. Pinkie and Zecora both looked as startled as she, if not more so. Pinkie then rushed over to the very same paint can and did what Rainbow had, but was met with the same results.

Panic was set deep within her eyes and visible with every shake her body emitted. Pinkie couldn’t handle this. Especially not so soon after losing Angel—not so soon after what happened to Dash. Rainbow could tell that she was scared out of her wits, but was too afraid herself to do anything about it.

Zecora intervened before anything else could happen. Her voice had risen an octave, Rainbow guessed, as she spoke. “It’s… It’s a—

Rainbow really wished she had brushed up on her lip-reading, and hated that she couldn’t understand what the zebra was saying. She had no idea what was going on, but both Zecora and Pinkie looked freaked.

“What’s going on?” she tried. “Where’s Spike?”

Just then, the ceiling caved in, and the Sphinx Rainbow hated dropped down. It landed on the ground with a thump, the paint cans spilling over from the contact. Dash tensed, but couldn’t get herself to move. Zecora and the Sphinx shared words, heated ones it seemed, and Pinkie adopted a shocked expression.

Rainbow wished she knew what was going on.


Pinkie couldn’t believe it. First Angel, then Dashie, and finally Spike. When was the tragedy going to end?

The Sphinx had dropped down from above with a sneer plastered on his face, and Pinkie wanted nothing more than to put him in his place.

“I see you’ve made it to the end of my cavern,” the Sphinx said. “I must congratulate you. But first, what challenges have you overcome? Have you solved my puzzle?”

Realization seemed to dawn on Zecora. She gritted her teeth and glared. “It’s all been a trick, hasn’t it? You don’t have the Crystal Antidote, do you?”

The Sphinx grinned with its shark-like teeth, his eyes glinting. “Perhaps.”

“But—but that can’t be!” Pinkie stuttered. She glared at the Sphinx, who leaned back against the far wall. It looked like he was getting happier by the second.

“Lord Sombra, my master, is returning. Even if I did have the Crystal Antidote, I wouldn’t have given it to you. Alas, I lost it years ago. But I know of a way to create another.”

“You—you lied to us?!” Pinkie exclaimed, anger licking at her fur. “But what about Angel Bunny? And where’s Spike?! Just look at what you did to RAINBOW DASH!”

“It is not my fault that you mortals decided to pursue a fool’s dream. You’ve received only what you have deserved.”

“W-we didn’t—we didn’t—“Pinkie was unable to speak any longer. Tears welled up in her eyes and she collapsed into sobs. The Sphinx smirked.

“Suiting for the weak-willed. I am a Sphinx of my word, however. The Crystal Antidote you shall still receive. You just have to sign this.”

The Sphinx pulled out a document with golden trim edges and the finest print, as well as what looked to be a Phoenix’s feather. Dash stared at the items, entranced. Zecora glared at the document.

“And what is this?” she asked.

“The contract. You will get some of the Crystal Antidote I am about to brew if you sign. In fact… Your friend, the rabbit, shall return from the ashes. I will bring him back if you agree to my terms.”

Zecora pondered these words. She was the only one left that could think level-headedly, what with Rainbow being handicapped and Pinkie’s incessant crying. Slowly, she nodded. The Sphinx handed her the contract and quill.

“Wait,” croaked Pinkie, “What about Spike?!”

Zecora stopped herself before she’d so much as lowered the quill on the parchment. Her eyes were leveled at the Sphinx. He twitched.

“What are you talking about?” He shrugged. “You three and the rabbit were the only contestants that entered my cavern.”

Where’s Spike?” Pinkie asked again, standing back up. The Sphinx sighed before reaching a paw behind his back. He brought his fist back in front of him, the drake squirming in it.

“Let go of me!” Spike shouted as he struggled against his constraints. The Sphinx paid him no mind.

“If you wish to have the Crystal Antidote and your Angel back… your dragon friend must stay with me.”

Pinkie gasped. Zecora’s lips set in a firm line. The pink pony spoke at once, “We won’t do it! Spike won’t—“

Zecora yanked Pinkie aside and whispered harshly. “You have to make a decision,” she said, “of which is more important to you. Angel and Twilight may yet be revived, but at the cost of Spike the dragon. I will do nothing. You must decide where we go from here, Pinkie Pie.”

Pinkie’s eyes widened. “But, Zecora, I’ve never been good at decisions! I can’t do this, please just—“

“Do what?” Zecora cut her off, her steely gaze anything but understanding. “These are your friends. I may yet have wisdom, but there is nothing I can say that will make the choice any easier.”

Pinkie swallowed, and at that moment she wanted nothing more than to have never gone on this journey. The stakes were way too high. Rainbow’s hearing was gone, Angel turned to stone, Spike about to be used to create the Crystal Antidote—and how was any of this fair? Was that a small price to pay for Twilight’s survival? For her happiness?

No… Pinkie thought with growing confidence. Twilight would never be happy if she knew Spike had died for her. She would never get over it, and neither would I.

Pinkie marched straight up to the Sphinx and glared, each step filling her with more conviction than the last. “I am not weak-willed, I can make decisions, and I won’t let you do this.” Pinkie bounced up before the Sphinx could react and snatched Spike out of his paw.

“What are you doing?!” the Sphinx screeched in reply. At once he was reaching for the pony and dragon, but Dash had snapped out of her reverie. She collided with his massive body and sent him hurling against another wall. Pinkie’s eyes met Dash’s.

“We have to get out of here!” Pinkie almost screamed, and it looked like Rainbow understood. She zoomed toward the earth pony and wrapped her hooves around her. Seconds later she dashed off to Zecora and, thanks to the adrenaline, lifted her up onto her back. The Sphinx was just starting to get back to his feet.

STOP!” it wailed, “You will not escape!”

Pinkie felt Rainbow’s hooves tighten around her torso as the pegasus said, “Zecora! Hold on to me no matter what, okay?!”

Then, Dash beat her wings as fast as she could upwards, where the Sphinx had broken the ceiling, and was met with sunlight. Thanks to the beast’s oversight, they were back in the Everfree Forest. Rainbow kept flying, headed straight for Canterlot. When Pinkie glanced back, she saw the Sphinx climbing out of its cavern, very much alive, and very much angry.


Sleep had come to Twilight easily that night. Fluttershy had hidden underneath the bed when the nurse returned to check on Twilight, and once she left she’d gotten back on and cuddled with her the whole night. It was amazing.

Fluttershy had even woken her up with a kiss and said, “Good morning, beautiful.” It’d made Twilight so happy that she could barely contain her enthusiasm. Instead, she’d kissed Fluttershy once again and told her she was even more beautiful. That led to a playful exchange of “No, you’re cuter!” and “No, you are!”

It went like that for a while until Princess Celestia, Applejack and Rarity had returned. Twilight had been smiling, expecting Rainbow Dash to return with Time Turner, but they didn’t show up. Over time, Twilight’s smile had slowly dipped down until worry settled over. She wondered what Spike was doing, and how he would react if she’d told him…

“Why, if it isn’t the Princess herself!”

All eyes were cast on the door where a brown stallion now stood. Princess Celestia’s eyes had widened to the point that she looked like an entirely different pony.

“Doctor Whooves?” Celestia managed, but he shook his head.

“The name’s Time Turner now.” He trotted past her and up to where Twilight sat. “And you must be Twilight Sparkle, correct?”

“Yes, I am,” Twilight replied, stunned.

“You’re a pretty one. And you,” he pointed a hoof toward Fluttershy, “are her marefriend, right?” Fluttershy nodded. “Wonderful.”

“Doctor…” Princess Celestia walked closer. “It’s been such a long time. How are you still…?” Time Turner smiled kindly, but his eyes told a different story.

“That’s for another time. Twilight Sparkle looks like she’s been suffering for quite a while.” His eyes were cast on Twilight. “You’re lucky your friend got me when she did. She should be gettin’ here soon, too.”

“Where is she now?” Applejack interrupted. Time Turner placed a hoof over Twilight’s forehead, tracing up her horn. He frowned thoughtfully.

“Went to the Everfree Forest after the pink pony and dragon. I think there was a rabbit as well.” He hummed. “Looks like this is more serious than I thought… I believe Rainbow mentioned something about your talent being magic, yes?”

“The Everfree Forest?!” Rarity exclaimed. Time Turner shook his head.

“There isn’t anything to worry about. Love always pulls through, and it’s the greatest magic of all.”

Silence reigned for several moments in which Time Turner continued his evaluation. Fluttershy had moved to the chair next to Twilight’s bedside and held her hoof, keeping it steady when it had started to shake.

After a long five minutes, Time Turner finally spoke up.

“Hm… I’m afraid the same thing has befallen you as did Misty Haze.” He craned his neck toward the Princess. “I’d hate to make you go through it again, but just like before, the only way to—“

The window busted open and a rainbow blur flew past everyone, smacking straight into the wall. Everyone jumped at the sound, and was surprised to see three ponies and a dragon on the floor.

“Ow…” Spike groaned as he sat up, pressing a claw into his back. His eyes widened when they landed on Twilight. “Twilight!” At once the dragon had leapt onto her and gave her a big hug. “Oh, I missed you so much! You shouldn’t have kept me in the dark like that!”

On the other side of the room, Zecora had stood up as well. She was pressing a hoof into her forehead, and beside her lay two more ponies. Pinkie was clinging to Rainbow, who was more than a little unbalanced.

“Pinkie Pie?” Rarity didn’t try to hide her surprise. “Just where have you been all this time?”

Twilight held the baby dragon in her forelegs and turned her eyes toward her two friends. At least now everyone was here.

“I was… I was doing something stupid,” Pinkie said with a sniffle. She helped Dash up.

“What’re you talking ‘bout?” Applejack came to stand next to the two, offering Pinkie a friendly smile. “You’re here now. That’s all that matters.”

“No, it’s not that…” Pinkie averted her eyes. “I… I took Spike and Angel to Zecora’s, to see if there was another cure. The Sphinx had been guarding something called the Crystal Antidote, and we blindly followed his word and went into the cave... He didn’t even have it, and… and…”

“Pinkie!” Rainbow said entirely too loud. All eyes were on her at once. “All of it was my fault. Angel, Spike, the lack of potion, this…”

Twilight couldn’t help wondering why she was speaking so loudly. Her eyes were drawn to her friend’s ears and she gasped at the blood she saw.

“Rainbow Dash, what did you—?”

The Doctor trotted in a short clip over to where Rainbow was. “My word. Just what have you done?”

“S-she—“Pinkie began, but Fluttershy spoke up.

“And what was that about Angel Bunny?”

Pinkie began to well up with tears yet again. Dash looked like she wanted to offer her comfort, but Time Turner was still examining her ears.

“Ruptured eardrums,” he reported. “Complete loss of hearing, it seems. I have no idea what you could have done to cause this, but a good doctor may be able to fix it.”

Rainbow only stared at his mouth, but it didn’t look like she understood. He continued, “I can’t handle two patients at once. Is there another doctor around here?”

Applejack stared in disbelief at the pegasus, her eyes wide. Twilight deduced that she must’ve been feeling guilty for having sent Rainbow off to get the doctor, and Twilight found herself starting to feel bad, too.

Spike never moved from his spot against Twilight’s chest.

“I’ll go find one,” Celestia said finally, trotting out of the room as fast as she could. She didn’t want to see the same fate befall Twilight as did Discord. Zecora then decided to speak.

“It is my doing,” she said, “for I gave the knowledge that led to our pursuing. The Crystal Antidote was what we sought, but lies and death were what we got. Through perilous encounters we did face, we made it through with little grace.” A sigh. “It is my deepest apology that I have caused all of this.”

“No, Zecora, I’m the one that pushed you on that pointless journey.” Pinkie said, “I’m the one that didn’t stop Dashie from doing the Sonic Rainbow and I’m the one that brought Spike and Angel. I’m the one that’s really made a mistake…”

“As much as I’d like to chat…” Time Turner interrupted, “we really do have a problem on our hooves. Can’t we talk about this later? Every second we spend dawdling may be the difference between saving Twilight Sparkle’s life and having her die at our hooves.”

Twilight didn’t like the sound of that, and apparently neither did the others. They all shut up at his words.

He continued. “The stakes are the same. If things go well, you will be able to use magic again. If things go astray, your body will be torn apart like that of Misty Haze’s. Are you sure you wish to continue? We can stop now and request that your horn be removed, but it would do little good.”

“I…” Twilight’s gaze wandered over everyone in the room. To Rarity, whose eyes showed sadness and a tint of longing. To Pinkie, who was unable to quell her tears any longer. To Rainbow, who wasn’t sure what was going on, but was still able to show support. To Applejack, who’d never looked so unsure about anything in all her life. To Zecora, whose expression showed more emotion than ever before. To Spike, who clung to her like a baby dragon afraid of losing its family. And to Fluttershy, who was just as scared as Twilight was. She gave her a kiss.

“I’ll love you no matter what happens,” she said adamantly. Twilight’s eyes finally landed on Time Turner’s, who watched her curiously.

“I’m ready.”

And she was sure of it. Time Turner smiled. “Good choice.” He turned to the other ponies. “All the things you’ve done up to this point have made me realize something. Whether you have fallen in love with Twilight Sparkle, whether you’re good friends with her, and whether you’re willing to die for her… You all are connected by the bonds you share. Every single one of you have proven in one way or another that you will do anything for each other, and most importantly, for your dying friend.”

The Doctor’s smile turned kind. “And love conquers all.”

“What is it we need to do to save her?” Rarity asked. Time Turner took it in stride.

“I was getting to that. All of you, the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, I believe have a strong enough bond to dispel the Magical Rebound Effect. You, as the only unicorn—“he pointed to Rarity—“will have to cast the spell. You must think about your friendship with Twilight Sparkle and all the things you like about her. The rest of you must do the same, and our unicorn friend here will channel those feelings into Twilight. You must not let your mind wander, none of you, lest the spell go awry.”

Rarity was appalled. “I… I must do it? Such a huge responsibility?” Her eyes met Fluttershy’s, perhaps asking for permission.

“Yes.” He turned to Rainbow Dash. “Does she understand?”

The pegasus stared at him for a long second before nodding. “I’ll do my part to help out.”

“Then I believe it’s high time for us to get started.” He approached Twilight’s bedside and tore Spike away from her before headed to the far wall. Spike hadn’t wanted to leave, but reluctantly let go. Zecora came to stand next to the doctor, though she also didn’t seem to want to leave.

The remaining ponies gathered around Twilight’s bedside, making her more nervous than the day she got her cutie mark. Rarity’s horn lit up as she began the spell, and all their eyes closed.

Twilight thought about what all of her friends had gone through. About how each of them had changed since she’d met them, and about how lucky she was they were her friends. She was reminded about how much she loved Fluttershy and hoped she could continue to love her long into the future. Thoughts of Rainbow Dash’s sacrifice plagued her mind and confused thoughts of Angel Bunny wormed their way in there.

She felt the familiar sensation of magic envelop her. She recognized it as Rarity’s, but it was different. It felt… softer than regular magic, warmer even. She opened her eyes she hadn’t even known she’d closed, and noticed her body covered in a light blue glow. Soon it became a mix of colors, and the light grew stronger.

Then, it felt like she was burning alive. She emitted a yelp and clenched her eyes shut. It was worse than when she’d tried using magic. It hurt so much she almost couldn’t handle it.

“Concentrate!” Time Turner snapped. “You must not lose focus!”

It felt like her limbs were being torn apart. When Twilight forced her eyes open again, for a scary second she was sure she saw a lion paw and an eagle’s claw.

Then she blinked, and her equine forelegs had returned.

The pain slowly receded back to a comforting warmth, until it disappeared entirely. Twilight was panting, sweat coating her fur and the bed.

“Are you okay?” Fluttershy’s voice resonated from far away. Twilight opened her eyes and was met with varying levels of worried friends’ faces. She looked down and, much to her relief, still had her pony legs.

Time Turner stepped forward. “That was close… Can you perform magic?”

Twilight was still breathing hard and was unable to speak up. Applejack placed a hoof on her friend’s shoulder. “I think she needs a sec, Doc.”

She continued to pant for a few minutes more before she finally had it under control. She sat up in the bed. “I… I’m not sure, but—“

A deafening shriek interrupted her. Twilight’s head whipped to the window Rainbow had crashed through earlier and saw something she’d never have expected to.

The Sphinx.

He was charging straight through Canterlot, scaring ponies to death. Its red eyes were locked on the hospital, and even scarier, locked on Twilight herself.

Spike yelped and jumped onto Pinkie. “I don’t wanna go!” he cried as he gripped her neck with all the strength he could.

“You won’t have to, Spike,” Pinkie replied. “Just hold on, okay?”

“What are you talking about?” Twilight asked as she tore her gaze away from the Sphinx.

“Remember what I said about the Crystal Antidote earlier? The Sphinx wanted to use Spike to make it again!” Pinkie said. They watched as the Sphinx got closer and closer, knocking guards away with ease.

“What did you do to make it so angry?!” Rarity said, accusing eyes on Pinkie.

“What were we supposed to do, leave Spike with him?” Pinkie glared back at her friend. Tensions were rising high with the Sphinx gaining on them. Twilight pushed herself out of bed and began to stand up.

“Twilight, please just stay here!” Fluttershy pleaded, “I don’t want to see the same thing happen to you again. I don’t want to lose you!”

“I can’t, Fluttershy… All of you have gone through so much for me, there’s no way I can sit here and do nothing—I can’t! Not with Spike’s life on the line… Not if you plan on going out there without me.”

Fluttershy swallowed. She was trembling more than Twilight had ever seen her before, and unshed tears gleamed in her eyes. She slowly pulled away from Twilight, and gave her a resolute nod. “Okay. You do what you have to do, just… be careful.”

Twilight leaned toward Fluttershy and gave her a peck on the lips. “I will.” She stared into Fluttershy’s eyes for a long second before getting onto her hooves. She felt lighter than before, like the spell had worked. She walked over to the window and peered down at the Sphinx, her scarred eye burning.

The lion-pony stopped in its tracks and stared up at Twilight. It looked angry. “Why, if it isn’t you!” All of a sudden, his glare turned into one of scorn. “I doubt you can do much good in your condition. Now, where is the drake? His assistance is needed.”

Twilight jumped out of the window and landed on her hooves with ease she didn’t believe she had. “I won’t let you hurt my friends this time.”

The Sphinx looked like he was about ready to laugh. “How? Perhaps you don’t recall, but the last time I saw you I knocked you flat on your face. You even have a memento to remember me by.” He stood up proudly. “Besides, what can you do? Your magic has been taken from you.”

Twilight swallowed and focused, ignoring the Sphinx’s taunts. It had been so long since she’d last performed a spell. What if she couldn’t do it again? What if the Sphinx was right?

She mentally slapped herself. Focus, Twilight. You have to do this. The familiar sensation of wishes and dreams unspoken filled her with the desire to end this—to get rid of the Sphinx for good. He’d done so many bad things, he’d hurt so many ponies—

The energy she’d been gathering in her horn backfired. Her head ached from it, and at the sound of sharp laughter, hurt more.

“What did I say? You’re pathetic.” His tail swished from behind him and knocked her sideways. Twilight regained her step and charged up a spell again.

“When will you learn your lesson?” the Sphinx said with growing annoyance. He swiped a paw at her, bashing her back into the hospital’s wall in which she’d come.

“Twilight!” Fluttershy jumped out of the same window Twilight had earlier. She put herself between the Sphinx and Twilight, glaring daggers at the beast. “You won’t hurt her anymore!”

“This could all be avoided if you’d just give me the dragon, you know.” The Sphinx’s eyes wandered up the building, hungrily staring at Spike. Pinkie held Spike tightly and glowered at the lion-pony. “I wouldn’t have to kill any of you.”

Rainbow Dash leapt down and stood beside Fluttershy. “You can hurt me, but you won’t touch them!”

The Sphinx sighed. “I am not merciful by any means, but my master would not tolerate this in the lea—“

“Sphinxy, remember me?” Time Turner grinned from the window. The Sphinx’s eyes widened in shock. “It’s been quite a long time, hasn’t it?”

YOU!” The Sphinx barreled past all three of the ponies in front of him and began climbing up the hospital. “HOW DARE YOU SHOW YOUR FACE, YOU LITTLE—“

Time Turner hopped out of the window, landed on the Sphinx’s head, and jumped again so he was on the ground. The Sphinx let go of the building and was after him at once.

“What in tarnation?!” Applejack exclaimed. Rarity was just able to grab her shoulder before she joined the battle as well. “Let go of me!”

“If something goes wrong, they’ll need us to help!” Rarity said, “If we go out there now, all of us could very well end up in a ditch like last time. We need to wait.”

“But—“

“We must wait.”

Their eyes met, and Applejack sighed. She pulled back. “…Fine.”

Below, the Sphinx was growing reckless. He was trying to capture Time Turner by any method he could. Twilight had just begun to stand back up with the help of her marefriend. “Why is he chasing you?” Twilight called out.

Rainbow Dash took this as her cue to give Time Turner a breather. She launched herself at the Sphinx for a third time since she’d met him and knocked him over again. Time Turner turned toward Twilight.

“I stole the original Crystal Antidote from him!” he shouted. The others stared at him.

“Why?!”

“We don’t have time for that! Listen, I need you to cast the spell Exitium on the Sphinx!” The Sphinx had gotten to his feet and in blind rage chased after the stallion. Twilight closed her eyes and began focusing her magic into her horn once again. The Spell of Destruction was one she’d only used once before, and she knew she only had one chance to get the Sphinx.

The magic gathered in her horn, almost painfully, and she aimed at the Sphinx. Only, the Sphinx wouldn’t stop moving. Twilight couldn’t keep her spell at bay much longer, but she knew if she released it now it would hurt innocent bystanders on the other side of the street.

“I-I can’t do it! He won’t stand still!”

Time Turner just barely avoided a fatal paw swipe from the Sphinx. He glanced over at the unicorn. “You must do it! Your magic is yours to command—if you don’t do something now, if you don’t face your fears, everything will be lost!”

Twilight didn’t make sense of it. All she knew was she felt different than before all of this had started. Her hooves felt light and her mind clear. It was with self-reflection that she realized she had gotten to the point that she was afraid of magic. Afraid of the very thing she’d dedicated her entire life to. If her entire life had led up to this point, it was do or die.

What the future would hold was a mystery, but Twilight was determined to see it through. She would see the next chapter of her life, and she would make it through.

The spell Exitium exploded out of her horn—the first spell she'd cast since she’d last hurt the Sphinx—and it was headed directly for the beast.

However… the Sphinx was just barely able to dodge. It was with dread that Twilight realized her spell had missed.

The Sphinx was cackling now, whether at Twilight’s ignorance or at his own genius no one knew. “You idiot!” He laughed. “Did you really think you could hurt me? Did you actually—“his eyes went wide and a yelp escaped his muzzle before he turned into dust.

The spell had curved back and gotten him square in the back.

Twilight collapsed to the ground, everything around her blurring. This time, she didn’t pass out. This time she was able to pick up the pieces and stand back up. All of her friends soon joined her.

“Is he gone?” Spike asked, still holding fast to Pinkie’s mane.

No reply was attempted by anyone. Ponies that had been hiding now came out, staring in amazement at their heroes. Soon, Princess Celestia returned with several doctors that took Rainbow Dash away on a stretcher. Pinkie, Spike and Zecora had followed after while the others tended to Twilight.

"I love you, Twilight," Fluttershy said out of nowhere, giving her a long, drawn-out kiss that Twilight was all too happy to return.

The new chapter of her life started now, and she was going to make the most of it.

Author's Note:

All that remains now is an epilogue (in which all loose ends will be tied). I stepped out of my comfort zone with this chapter, but hopefully it went over well. Please let me know what you thought of it on the whole, and I certainly hope it was satisfactory. Until next time!