• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 2,014 Views, 51 Comments

One by One - DreamWings



Scootaloo finds herself alone when murders begin around Ponyville.

  • ...
7
 51
 2,014

Trapped.

Trapped

When in Canterlot, do your best to do what you want. When in Ponyville, slave away at your job like an idiot. I started work again for my idiot boss. He plagued me about not being in the last two days; it seems he’d forgotten I’d been given a holiday for a while. I didn’t care about his yelling; as long as he didn’t find out what I had been doing I was safe.

He’s so ugly it’s unbelievable. Mares run away whenever he walks by, and yet he’s the biggest narcissist I’ve ever met. He uses his power in business over his workers, especially the female ones. Thankfully he’s never managed to get around me for that but others have not been so fortunate. I knew it wouldn’t be long before Sunny Daze would find a way to get out of this hellhole, and then his affection would be pointed towards me. I didn’t want to be used in that way; I didn’t like being used in the way I did now.
I saw Sunny crying in the cloakroom when I got here this morning, it seems she had been working another ‘night shift’ and had been told she wasn’t allowed to sleep. She used to be such an innocent filly; it was dreadful to see her like this. Sunny didn’t know what it felt like to be normal anymore. She didn’t know what was right and what was wrong with all of the confounding facts. I know that ‘he’ must have told her she was doing the best thing for herself and she couldn’t argue with him. All of her old thoughts had gone; she was left a soulless shadow with no opinions or decisions. I felt for her.

He was clearly getting bored of her now. She’d be indispensable eventually, just like all of the others. And then…There’s a chance it might be my turn. Would I do what he said? I’d hope that I’d be strong enough to pull away from him and say ‘No’. I don’t know, though, I might have been living in this society for too long to escape now. I wonder how many other workers in other jobs have fallen for the same trap from their boss. Probably quite a few I should imagine.

The boss is all worked up today, keeps brushing his hair back in nervousness. Serves him right for what he’s done to Sunny and the others. It turns out there was another murder. Like I didn’t guess that already; the pattern’s perfect. It happened in Canterlot; the police say it must have happened during the time when Discord had been killed. The mare had been using make-up with arsenic in it… They knew it was the same murderer. The murderer liked to use arsenic as their poison method. Yeah, because it’s cheaper you foal, and easy to get hold of.

I swear the police have no brain cells in their head sometimes. I know that Chief ‘thinks he knows everything’ McFly has taken over the case now. I saw the Ponyville Chief and Deputy today; they’ve never looked more deflated. I don’t think they’ll give up that quickly; if McFly’s in charge the villain will never be found. McFly’s just as stupid as my boss, but not as demanding… My boss definitely wins the biggest jerk award.

So now I’m back to my boring mundane everyday job. Sitting in front of a desk, staring at a piece of paper and wondering what to write next. We’re usually told what stories to write down for the paper and then it gets stamped with approved or denied. I don’t like being a journalist… At least not in this town. There’s no news except for what we’re told. I can think of lots more stories that nopony would ever dare print. And I know many stories that nopony can ever know… Even if they’re the stories that everypony would want to here.

I just tap, tap, tap away at the two buttons on my typewriter like a machine, it’s so tedious and mind-numbing hardly anything keeps me going. Every now and again we can leave to go and get a big ‘scoop’ but I’m not allowed at the moment; I know what that means.

Sunny was demoted to working in the office back when her torture started, and all of the others before her. And now it was my turn. I didn’t dare think about what the future had in store for me. And with nopony left to help me I suppose I have to stick here; there’s no way out for me now.

I saw you walking past today little filly, this morning when I walked in. You weren’t with your friends for once, which surprised me. I worry about you when you’re alone. I worry about the others when you’re alone. I worry far too much. I need to calm down. I need to forget what could be happening to my friends all alone by themselves. They left me; it was their choice to go it alone. I have to focus on my cause and forget about everything else that happens during the day and night. No matter what happens I just have to keep going with my plan.

It won’t be long before all this torture could be over…For everypony. None of us will be here to feel the pain of this life. To feel the pain of our loved ones leaving us. Not anymore… Never again. Do you agree with me little filly? You often look like you do. You should because there’s no way out of it. We’re all going to go through this eventually so we might as well do something about it.

Ugh, his eyes are staring at me again; that horrible stallion with his glassy eyes. What does he want from me? Sunny won’t even look at him anymore, it’s too painful. I don’t like looking at him already, so I suppose it’s okay. But I still don’t want to do what I know he wants me to do. I probably will have to in the end.

It’s the end of the end.