• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 2,014 Views, 51 Comments

One by One - DreamWings



Scootaloo finds herself alone when murders begin around Ponyville.

  • ...
7
 51
 2,014

Forgotten

Forgotten.

The notice came up on the board straight away this morning. Screaming in bright red letters the news of the day ‘Miss Cheerilee found dead in house’. I can’t say that I cared much, everypony else was devastated though. The waterworks had been turned on once more. Twist tried to speak to me, but I wouldn’t listen to her prattle again, she’d annoyed me enough the day before. Didn’t stop her trying to talk to me. Just as other ponies tried as well.

Snips, a colt I had the displeasure of growing up with, kept bugging me seeing how I felt about the whole situation. He hadn’t spoken to me for years and suddenly, of course, he begins to care about me again. It’s pitiful to think that they could be so pitiful. This is what Ponyville has come too has it? In times of crisis what do we do? We weep and cry because of fear. And the sad news is that everypony could barely remember the death of Mac due to the death of the school teacher. His memory had been pushed out and moved aside by the memories of another. Ponies have such a short attention span.

I can remember Mac as well as remembering Cheerilee. They were together once thanks to my idiotic ways. It had been my fault that they had been forced to love one another; true, Applebloom and Little Belle and been part of the shenanigans as well, but I couldn’t blame them, I should have told them to stop. I should have told them what they were doing was wrong, but instead I let them control our actions. They overpowered me I suppose, that’s why it was so easy for them to walk away and leave.

Murder? In Ponyville? They would never believe that could be true, it was impossible in their view. We’d grown up so happy together, frolicking cheerily in our schoolyard dreams that we almost forgot to see the world for what it really was; a place not only for life but death as well. Death is our future, even if no other ponies accept that as the truth of the problem. Everypony is so terrified of dying. Why? Because they don’t want to leave? No, that can’t be right; they leave their friends and family nearly every other day and never come back. That’s not the correct reason.

So…Gossip then? Ponies love gossip, they almost thrive on the whispering words uttered over the fields saying this pony did this and that pony did that. I feel ashamed to think of the time when I too partook in gossiping, an idea concocted by Little Bloom. I wouldn’t want any gossip about me going around, and there never shall be as I hide in the backdrop. I’m safe away from prying eyes. I can’t say the same for the victims of the recent crimes.

Who shall be next? I have a feeling who it shall be but I’m not going to tell anypony. Why should I tell them? Have they ever done something for me? Only those that are on my side will know the truth of my plans. Not even my old friends or idols shall know what I am thinking in my head. Do you know little filly? You look at me like you know, but your friends are still holding you back. Your friends don’t like all of this murder business but you yourself are looking quite complacent. You don’t worry very much do you little filly. I can understand that. I used to pretend I didn’t worry as well.

You do worry. Trust me, you do.

Two murders gone by little filly. Two murders gone, one after the other, but you show no sign of terror. You need some help. I need some help.

The police still insist that it was a lunatic from the hospital. They would think that, they didn’t like to think somepony sane may do these acts. Not somepony they knew from the town. Let them think that I say, if they want to act like little foals playing a game they can. I dare them to think otherwise.

There’s no proof, they say, that these ponies were chosen specifically. Mac worked in the fields where nopony else was around, an easy victim for a chance murder. Cheerilee too, lived just outside Ponyville centre, any pony could have just picked her house because they would not be noticed whilst they committed their rotten deed. A bit too much of a chance for a chance murder, don’t you think?

The hospital’s coming over the whole brunt of the force and searches done by the authorities. They say their patients are all still there, but the police do not agree. They never shall until something breaks their theory, and even then it shall always linger at the back of their minds. They’ll never leave it alone and let the bodies rest in peace. Poor Mac, poor Cheerilee, poor victims. Poor? They who were rich on life? Impossible.

It’s time to leave. I can’t be here any longer or questions will follow. Goodbye little filly, goodbye ignorant ponies, Scootaloo bids you adieu…

For now.