• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 2,404 Views, 64 Comments

The Story Behind Evil - Winona



Fluttershy finds young Chrysalis (Fluttershy and Chrysalis version of Past Sins)

  • ...
6
 64
 2,404

Chapter 7: The Mare in the Moon

Chrysalis feel alseep during the train ride to Canterlot. So, she was quite schocked when she woke up in front of a huge castle, and 30 royal guards! She'd have screamed if she hadn't remembered that she was already in Chrystal Charm form, and nopony would recognize her. After Fluttershy calmed her down, they were let inside the Castle. Chrysalis was amazed by all the things she saw. The castle may have been beautiful on the outside, but it was nothing compared to the inside! In the courtroom, she noticed that something made the others stop walking. She looked at the object in front of Twilight, who was leading the group.

It was her.

It was...

"Princess Celestia!" Twilight smiled at her teacher.

The Princess of Equestria smiled back to Twilight. "Welcome to Equestria, Twilight. It's nice to see you and your friends again!"

Seeing the Princess... Chrysalis was freaking out inside, and trying very hard to control herself on the outside. She wanted to scream as Celestia began to walk toward her.

"What's your name, little filly?" Celestia gave her a warm smile.

It didn't feel warm to Chrysalis. In fact, it felt dead cold. But, who could blame her? I mean, this pony was resposible for her mother's death! She used all the bravery she could, and was able to mutter an answer to the waiting princess. "Crystal Charm."

"What a lovely name." Celestia smiled again.

As Celestia turned away, Crysalis flinched at her voice The same voice that brought most ponies peace and comfort brought her hatred and fear. She would never forget her mother.

"I assumed that you all would stay the night, so I prepared rooms for you." Celestia continued to smile. Evily. Chrysalis thought.

"Thanks, Princess!" Twilight's smile couldn't possibly get any wider. "So... Shinning Armors is...?"

Celestia seemed to get the hint. "Training. He should be done soon, though. Do you remember where the training area is?"

Twilight nodded. "Thanks, Princess. Please excuse me." Twilight then trotted away.

"Where's Twilight going?" Pinkie was the first to notice.

"Oh, to visit somepony." Celestia smiled again.

Pinkie Pie shrugged and the continued to their rooms. All their rooms were close to eachother, and close to the room where Twilight used to live. That's where Twilight would be staying again, of course.

"Dinner will be ready at 7:00." Celestia told them each before leaving.

Nopony knew how glad Chrysalis was when Celestia left.


That night, Fluttershy and Crystal shared a room. Crystal stared out her window and watched as the sun set and the moon rose. She turned to the pegasus. "So... your friend Twilight is really... close to the princess?"

Fluttershy smiled at Crystal, "Oh yes! She's Celestia's personal student!"

"And..." Crystal swallowed. "Does Celestia really raise the sun and moon?"

"Oh no, she only raises the sun!" Fluttershy said, getting into the bed.

Crystal stared at the pegasus. She seems to really like Celestia, too. Crystal then remembered that while telling Fluttershy her story, she left out the part WHO killed her mother. Crystal stared out the window again, watching the rising moon for a few minutes. "So... Fluttershy... if Celestia raises the sun... who raises the-" Crystal turned around to face Fluttershy, but cut herself off as she saw the pegasus already fast asleep on the bed, without a blanket. She smiled and covered Fluttershy with a blanket. Shortly after transforming to her orginal self for the night, Chrysalis fell asleep next to Fluttershy.


Chrysalis' opened her eyes to find the moon still high in the sky. She checked the clock in their room.

2:50 A.M.

She looked back at Fluttershy who was still sleeping on the bed. Even though Chrysalis had gotten only, 5 or 6 hours of sleep, she was wide awake. She wondered what she could do. She didn't want to wake Fluttershy. She looked outside her window to the moon. She realized it didn't have that unicorn shape in the moon like it did in her time. Chrysalis had heard the tale of the mare in the moon before. Her mother used to tell her many of the pony's-tales. She never thought they were true, though. Twilight mentioned before that there was a library here. Perhaps she could look it up?

Chrysalis made sure to transform back to Crystal Charm before opening the door. Not many guards were inside. Most were outside and in the princess' courtyard. Crystal quietly trotted away, and after possibly ten minutes of wandering through the castle, she found the library. The door was open, and she went right in.

Mare in the Moon. Chrysalis thought to herself. Where's the Mare in the Moon story?

She looked in the fiction area, under "M". However, the Changling Princess found nothing there. She eventually looked over all of the fiction books, and still no information about the Moon-Mare was found! Could it be true? Was the Mare in the Moon not just a tale mares and stallions used to scare their foals into behaving? She looked over the iibrary again. Where else would such a story be located?

Crystal Charm sighed in defeat. She was getting tired, and she wasn't having much luck. Her annoying question of the Mare in the Moon remained though, and that compelled her to keep searching. She began to walk to the back of the library, a section that was a bit darker than the rest. She saw several Dark Magic books there. Every cover she read seemed to send another shiver down her spine.

Another book caught her eye. It was black-green with snake like letters. It was hard to see in the dark since the color of the letters was so close to the color of the book's cover, so she decided to come back and get it after she copleted her main quest. At the end of that section, she saw a small table. It was small enough for her to see the book that was opened on top of it. She could see on it a picture of the moon. It looked promising, so she closed the book and brought it back to the light in the middle of the library.

Crystal Charm sat in the middle of the library and stared at the book. It had a dark blue cover, and it read:

The Tale of the Mare in the Moon

Somepony had been reading this not to long ago. It wasn't dusty like all the other books. Or, perhaps it was new! It wasn't torn at all like most of the other books in that area. It didn't really matter to Crystal, though. She opened to the first page, which showed the author of the book. Crystal couldn't believe her eyes as she read aloud:

Written by: The Mare in the Moon

Crystal Charm shook her head, believing that it must've been a joke to scare those who read it. It certainly worked, though. The next page was the index. There were only two chapters.

1. The Ledgend of the Mare in the Moon
2. The Elements of Harmony

Crystal Charm barely took notice of chapter two. She still nodded continued to the next page.

I'm sorry.

Crystal shook her head and looked again. It was still there, though. In plain Equestrian, "I'm sorry." was written! Crystal didn't understand, but she continued on to the real story.

Chapter 1: The Ledgend of the Mare in the Moon

Once upon a time, in a castle that is now located in the Everfree Forest, there were two regal alicorn sisters who ruled together, and created harmony for all the land. The two represented the Elements of Harmony: Honesty, Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, Loyalty, and Magic. The elder sister rose and set the sun, while the younger rose and set the moon. However, as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in her elder sister's daylight, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night. Her jealousy got the better of her, and it transformed her into Nightmare Moon. She tried to overthrow her elder sister, who to her, was getting all the attention. Nightmare Moon covered Equestria in enternal night. The elder sister tried to harness the Elements of Harmony on her own to purify her sister. However, withour her sister, it was impossible. Instead, as punishment, Nightmare Moon was locked away in her moon forever, while neither her nor her sister could ever use the Elements of Harmony again. The elder sister then took over raising both the sun and the moon. She the moved her kingdom to a safer place, for that castle brought too many painful memories for her. The Elements were left at the castle, awaiting new bearers. It was prophesied on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars would aid in Nightmare Moon's escape. The elder sister waited patiently for the time to see her beloved sister again, even if she was still evil. The elder sister still loved her, and every night after raising the moon, she would fly as high as she could, and apologise once more. While on the moon, the younger sister could not hear the elder's apology, but every night she gave an apology of her own. The younger sister continued to fight against the evil inside her, hoping that one day, her sister would come to forgive her.

The chapter brought Cystal Charm to tears. "Oh, the poor sisters..." she sniffled and wiped her tears with her hoof. She was remined of having to leave her mother. After a few minutes, Crystal was calm again and she continued to the next chapter.

Chapter 2: The Elements of Harmony

The prophecy became true, and on the longest day of the thousandth year, the younger princess was free again. However, dispite her inner battle, it was Nightmare Moon in control. As the Mare in the Moon swore long ago, she covered all of Equestria in Enternal night, with her elder sister powerless to stop it. The only way to stop her, would be to find new bearers for the Elements of Harmony. The was a pony though, who saw the signs of Nightmare Moon's return, and with the help of her friends, found her way to the Elements of Harmony deep in the Everfree Forest. It became that she and her new friends became the Elements of Harmony: Honesty, Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, and Loyalty. the pony herself, became the Elements of Magic. Nightmare Moon was then purified into the young alicorn sister she was. The elder sister then returned from being taken, and she and her real sister were reunited.

Today, the two alicorns rule Equestria alongside one another in peace and harmony. The Elements of Harmony are still beared by the six ponies who freed the young princess from her jealousy.

That was all. Crystal looked the book over. There was still room for more writing. Was that really all? No! The next page had something else written.

I'm sorry... for all I've done.

- Luna

"Luna?" Crystal wondered aloud.

"Indeed." A voiced called out of the darkness.

Crystal Charm gasped, realizing she was not alone.

Author's Note:

Sorry that the chapter is kinda short, but I wanted a mysterious ending. Well, not that mysterious. I think you know where this is heading. I apologize for any grammer mistakes. Please tell me if you have the time. If you think this story is terrible, I'm sorry to have wasted your time. I hope you liked it, though!