• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 2,403 Views, 64 Comments

The Story Behind Evil - Winona



Fluttershy finds young Chrysalis (Fluttershy and Chrysalis version of Past Sins)

  • ...
6
 64
 2,403

Prolouge

I stand at the edge of the territory of the Changlings. I look out to the land called Equestria. We failed. What's worse, my mother was there. Now I know what she meant by both of us getting hurt. I didn't know she would be at the wedding, I didn't know she was an element of harmony. But what could I do? I had been waiting for years for this. I did know she lived in Equestria, but I didn't know we would be so unfortunate as to meet again on the moment I had planned to take over Equestria. It was Celestia's fault, she killed my first mother. But, when I saw her face, saying to me, "Chrissy, don't hurt us... don't you remember me?" My heart stopped. I knew then that I was wrong to try and take over. But, it was too late... I took over... and I was happy until Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and Shinning Armor ruined it. Wasn't I?

A chill runs down my spine as I again regret that day. I close the curtans to my balcony, leaving myself alone in the darkness. My mothers hates me, now. A changling interupts my thoughts by knocking on my door. "Your highness?" a shy voice called. A voice that resembled my mother's.

I let out a sigh. "Come in." A changling guard opens the door and enters, fear clear in his eyes. He bowed slowly, shaking just a bit. I am the queen after all, and I would've been angry that we lost if not for my mother, so I undertood that he would be fearful. "Y-Y-Your highness..." the changling bowed. I would've smiled at the respect that I deserve, but my thoughts never left mother.

"What is it?" I ask, sadness obvious in my voice.

"W-W-Well... we lost the battle with Canterlot... a-and some of us are w-wondering... w-what do we do n-now?" The changling stuttered. The stutter so much like my mother's. Why can't I just forget about her for one second!?!? I hit my head on the wall, making the changling jump.

I couldn't help but let out another sigh. "I suppose we rest for a while, find new food in the morning. You may go."

"Y-Yes, your highness..." The changling lifted his wings to fly away... but he stopped. "Uh... y-your majesty?"

"Yes?" I did not react, as if I were a robot.

Normally I got angry when they lost a battle, and got even more angry when changlings came uninvited, and even MORE angry when they stayed longer than I asked. The changling whipsered to himself "...shouldn't I be headless right about now?" I still heard, but I paid no attention.

"Well... uh... y-your highness... I-I don't m-mean to be r-r-ude, but... you're usually... a b-bit angry... w-when we loose." The changling curled himself into a ball, prepared to be punished for speaking freely to me. Am I so mean that my subjects are amazed when I speak freely to them?

"I am... but this time when we lost... it was different." I did not make eye contact with the changling. I just stared at the far away Castle, but out of the corner of my eye, I saw what he was doing.

The changling got up, and stared at the me. His eyes showed how surprised he was. "D-Do you... w-want to talk about it?"

The only other person who had spoken to me like that... was Fluttershy. There was something wrong with me today, something was wrong. The changling must have understood that.

A smile actually started to from on my face. "Thank you, soldier. I will surely call for you when I am ready."

The soldier's eyes widened. "T-Thank you, y-your majesty!" He bowed low again.

Chrysalis turned to face the changling. "What is your name? So I may call you when I am ready to talk?"

"My name?" I nodded. He thought about it for a second. "#376, I guess."

"No, that is just your number. I asked for your name." I looked the changling in the eyes. "Do you not have a name? Have I been so careless of my subjects that I have not let them have names?"

"W-Well... I wouldn't say you were careless... j-just busy. B-But to answer your question... n-no, I d-don't h-have a name." the changling let his head fall, and he stared at the floor.

"Well, then it is time you were all given names!" I stared at the changling. "Hmm... you shall be called..." I thought for a moment. This pony was kind, caring, and shy. Very much like a changling version of mother. "You shall be named Shadow-shy, but it makes you sound like your afraid of everything, so you will be called Shadow!" I smiled.

The changling's smile was even wider than mine. "My own name! Oh, thank you your highness!"

"Of course, dear subject. I will call for you when I am ready to talk."

"Yes, your highness..." The changling's wings buzzed as he slowly flew away, closing the door behind him. He certainly came out more confident then he had come in. Mother was shy like the changling had been.

I go onto the balcony of my room in my castle, and stare at the Canterlot Castle in the distance. She hates me. Mother hates me. I shake my head and turn away from the castle. Why do I even care? She's not my REAL mother. I think of all the times we had together... the memories that haunt me... that I can't seem to forget no matter how hard I try. I wonder how much it hurt mother, (if it even hurt her at all) to watch me try to destroy her home. Did I even matter as much to her as she did to me? She probably doesn't even think I cared about her, anymore.

I look back to the town of Ponyville. I can barely see it, but I don't need to... I remember it well enough. I remember meeting her friends, whom I now know as the Elements of Harmony. I remember their siblings. What did they call themselves again? Oh, yes. The Cutie Mark Crusaders. The other friends I had made. I was even introduced to Celestia and Luna once, I recalled. I cowered behind the Princess who destroyed my mother. She didn't recognize me, though... thanks to my changling abilities. Why can't they love Crystal Charm as much as Chrsalis? Why do they all hate me...

When Luna heard, she understood. I mean, she was Nightmare Moon. An even greater threat to Equestria than me and Discord, since Celestia and her were so close. No pony trusted her when she first returned, but they eventually welcomed her because she was a Princess, and she was good now. They'll never trust me. The changlings have always been enemies to Equestria, they'll never accept us as friends. I sometimes wish they could just meet us, and find out that we aren't so bad, the same way mother did. But no, we can never really be loved for who we really are. I just got lucky for a short amount of time. After the attack, my filly self was never trusted by Fluttershy.

Oh, why... why did I have to be a changling. Why couldn't I have been born as Crystal Charm, average Ponyville pegasus. And why Queen of the Changlings? It has it's ups... but it seems to have mostly downs. It is my job to find food for my subjects... and I don't know what to do anymore. We've tried Canterlot (huge fail), Fillydelphia, Baltimare, and don't even get me started on Manehatten. We've pretty much covered the whole world! We usually get food for a while, then a week to 3 months later, we're kicked out.

Life was much simpler as Crystal Charm in the care of Fluttershy. My eyes water as I try to find a certan cottage in what I can see of Ponyville. After nearly 10 minutes of looking, I give up. But, I look out to the distance, and as if she could hear me, I whisper just like the filly I once was.

"I'm sorry..." I hang my head as tears flow out of my eyes faster and faster. I'd give anything to go back to yesterday, and change my plan to take over Canterlot. "...mommy."