• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 941 Views, 9 Comments

Rarity vs. The Hat: RotE Episode 4 - Dream Volt



Rarity really dislikes Fluttershy's new hat.

  • ...
2
 9
 941

Aftermath

I wobbled and nearly fell. I wasn't sure if it was being without my wings, or I was briefly used to the gravity of the moon. The armor missing might have been a factor in some way but I doubt it. Whatever the case I felt off balance. I then blinked. The grove was back to normal. Every tree perfectly intact, the flowers, the bushes, everything. The wall and door was once again intact as well. Any other loose bits had also been retrieved as well clearly. It looked perfect. Though it seemed like a long time, I knew it had been far less than a day.

"Woah, I totally didn't even notice before."

I turned to see Rainbow in the air above me. "What do you mean Rainbow?"

"I mean that…" She smiled. "It's easier to just show you."

She then landed in front of me, and stood there. She then rolled her eyes and stepped closer. Then I realized. I was taller than her. Not by a great margin, but without a doubt she had to look up at me somewhat.

"Oh, I simply must see a mirror."

"Come on, I think Twi is still inside with Fluttershy. She was babbling about all this horn care junk. Why didn't she give Pinkie that dumb speech."

"Because shapeshifting creates forms anew. She will never have to deal with such issues unless she keeps it for a length of time."

"And that isn't Pinkie." Then Dash blinked. "Wait, doesn't that mean that you could just shapeshift younger and…"

"Theoretically. In practice it's beyond the scope of most unicorns to actually accomplish that. Does this really matter to any of us?"

Dash Laughed. "I guess it probably doesn't. It's just still weird to think we're most likely immortal. I mean like, mega weird."

"Yes, I suppose it is."

In truth I give it little thought. I then opened the door and walked inside. Twilight was reading though a stack of books piled in the room. Fluttershy had been doing the same, but was nearly to the door when I opened it. She gave me a hug the moment I entered. Perhaps earlier it was not so much fear of what I might do, but simply hurting herself on my armor, or burning herself on my mane. She had a familiar red feather in her hair. I blinked.

"Didn't that go up with the hat."

I then heard Pinkie laugh. "You really think the burny fiery bird has feathers than burn?"

"Actually near the end of their life cycle the feathers lose this property, but one removed at the beginning of the life cycle is especially potent in all ways. In fact it should even make Fluttershy relatively fireproof."

"How fireproof is that exactly?" asked Dash

"I'm, not sure." Twilight then looked at some other book off tot he side, then shook her head and refocused on the book in front of her. "It's best not to test it."

"It might be fun though."

Pinkie then fell from the ceiling. It wasn't clear what she was hanging on, and certainly not why. She had both a horn and wings, most likely to comfort Fluttershy in some way, but I wondered if that would really help. Also it sounded like the poor dear actually didn't have a problem with the change itself, just the attention it would bring. Though there must have been some reason she didn't tell us.

"Hmm, so the only one missing is Applejack." I asked

"Yea, you were too crazy to notice but she got back days ago. She's been bucking every tree she can since then."

"Though sometimes she still kicks so hard. But I can help the poor trees when she does. She made a lot a progress even without my help."

"Fluttershy still had to nearly beg her to leave, even though it's clear she was terribly bored by all this."

"Oooo, the muffins are almost done."

The ding came from the kitchen as Pinkie entered it. Dash then sighed, and grabbed a book off the pile, beginning to read. At least it almost looked as if she was reading, the pages flipped far too quickly for her to read much it seemed to me.

"Oh yes, Twilight could you cast that wonderful mirror spell again?"

"Uh, yea. I meant to teach it to you for our last lesson, but you didn't show up. It's a somewhat advanced illusion spell, but you're good at those."

"Though apparently not in the state I was in. Fluttershy saw right though it."

Twilight and Fluttershy shared a look then Twilight looked at me. "Actually that's probably not true. In fact your magic seemed to get stronger for some reason. However as is somewhat obvious, Fluttershy has an affinity for deer style magic."

"Ah, and deer have true sight, so she does as well."

Twilight blinked. "Yes, but how did you know that?"

"I spent some time among the deer. There aren't many left, but it is called white tail wood for a reason. Despite their love of nature they are a very clean people, and they put a great deal of import on culture."

"Oh. I guess I could give you that lesson now and…"

"Just cast it, Fluttershy should have all your attention. In fact if I didn't know I'd be distracted to here and there I would not even ask that."

"Okay."

I think it was even faster this time. Was that the first time she cast the spell? Then I saw my new self. Not any great changes. My mane was as perfect as ever, my cutie mark the same, but I was just a little taller, a little more regal in build. It was like I had been slightly stretched, making me look a touch more like Celestia, but still mostly resembled the pony I had always been. I smiled, then laughed.

"Oh yes, more regal is just the right term. Rarity perfected if you will."

"Did Luna explain how you did that?"

"She didn't even notice I think. She mostly focused on the armor and my mane."

"The armor?" said Dash "I mean it's cool and all but you didn't even mention the wings."

I laughed. "Dash, quite obviously the wings are generated by the armor. I may be more powerful but the wings…"

Twilight gasped. "I get it now. They're so amazing because they're actually an enchantment. But the skill for that…"

"Yes." I smiled. "Luna herself was impressed. All simple magics of course, I've never been that great a mage, but bound together in layers the effect is obviously quite impressive. I do wish I could remember making it."

"So you could just get them back like that?"

I nodded. "Yes. Though Luna muttered something about dark magic and took my armor so maybe it's for the best the last few days are a blur."

"Wait." Dash raised an eyebrow. "You're really okay with her taking clothes from you. I mean they're cooler than normal, but still clothes.

"It was really rather rude. But of course I said nothing." I rolled my eyes. "Really Rainbow, don't be ridiculous. Also it really isn't my look."

"Oh yea, duh. Sometimes it's easy to forget Luna is all super powerful queen of the of the moon and junk. So let me guess, the mane is the same thing."

"Not exactly."

I closed my eyes at the flame burst forth again. It would be quite calm in my current state, but it was still a mane of purple flame. After a moment I returned it to normal. I turned to see Rainbow staring at me.

"Wow, you're actually sort of cool now."

"And I wasn't before?"

"No. I mean you were a cool friend I guess, but you weren't really cool. But yea, making your mane fire at will is totally cool." She smiled "Hey, you think I can do that too?"

"I have no idea." I said. "Honestly I see little need for such a thing, but my mane does return perfectly quaffed and clean afterward, so I may use it for that."

Dash face hoofed. "Forget what I said. You're still not cool. Cool ponies would actually show off their awesome burning mane trick, not just use it to fix their hair."

"Rainbow Dash, really?"

"Ya, really. Sorry Rares, it's just the way it is."

I glared at her, but she seemed oblivious to the look. I then heard Fluttershy giggle. Suddenly Twilight bowed her head. When I turned around I did the same. Then I heard Luna sigh.

"I told you, I don’t really go for the bowing. I'll accept a salute if you really have to do something, but you six especially owe me nothing."

"That is not the point. Respect and proper behavior…" I began

"We know. Forget that. I really should just start ignoring it. It will save time. Now, we have something for you Fluttershy, but you should wear it as little as possible."

"Uh, because it's dangerous?"

"No, because it slows down a process that should complete. That being said I made it to hide you when needed. Or part of you rather."

Luna then walked forward and pulled a something silver from where it was hidden in the depths of her mane, floating it next to her with her magic. Once she was closer she clipped it to Fluttershy's hair. It was a lovely silver butterfly pin. I couldn't see for certain but I think it was covered in delicate etchings. What I could see was the body of the butterfly was made of obsidian. Then with a sort of strange wavering, as if viewing them though water, Fluttershy's antlers were gone.

"They're not there, but…"

"They are. Yes." She then removed it again, the antlers reappearing. "As I said, as little as possible, and most certainly not when you're asleep, but it is no great tragedy if…"

"But I've been having trouble sleeping because…"

"I know, but trust me, the alternative is much worse. If it's really that much of an issue I could make up some dream dust. Sleep is not directly under my purview, but we can manage well enough."

"Oh, uh, maybe, that would be, nice. I mean if it's not too much trouble."

Twilight was staring at Luna, mouth open.

"It's not. And before you say anything Twilight, it's not what you're thinking of, even though that's called dream dust as well. It's similar magic, but ultimately a cheap imitation of the original."

"Oh, uh, so it's perfectly safe?"

"Yes, though it does tend to create especially vivid dreams, and sometimes that can cause some problems, but nothing major."

Twilight just nodded and went back to her book.

"So, everything is back to normal?" asked Fluttershy

"Not at all, but it's calm again. Which means I really have to go. I can't believe we actually begged Celestia to let us take a turn ruling while she continued our goodwill tour of foreign nations. We should have known it would be worse than ever."

Then with only the slightest shimmer she was gone. It was nothing like the loud pop of Twilight's teleport, far more elegant. Then I blinked. Had I really pulled off a teleport in my mad state? Pinkie Pie then came out with a tray of fully frosted muffins in her mouth. She then mumbled something, and after none of us replied, put down the tray on a table.

"I said, Awww, she left."

"I'm sure princess Luna is a very busy pony."

"She is temporarily fully in charge of the nation, like she said." I added

"Anyway I gotta go so." Rainbow then looked over at Fluttershy. "Oh, uh, Fluttershy, do you need anything else or…"

"Because you were as I expected only pretending to read?" I asked

"No, it's this stuff is way too boring for me, and doesn't make any sense at all. All that talk about a calm mind so isn't me. I think you and Twi should be the ones to help her with all this junk. I mean not only are you unicorns, but I'm sure all the calm and focus nonsense in there makes some sense to you."

"Wait, so you really read the book you were flipping though?"

"Yea, so?"

Then Rainbow was out the door and gone before I could question her further. I blinked. Well that was certainly unexpected. Then something that she said registered and I suddenly smiled very wide.

"Twilight, there is a great deal she can do with those, isn't there?"

"Oh yes. In fact as you may be aware they are in some ways a better magical focus than a unicorn's horn. Certainly for some types of magic."

"Oh, we shall have such fun. I wonder if…"

Fluttershy was smiling broadly, saying nothing.

"You don't want to, do you?" I then sighed

"Uh, it's not exactly that it's just…" She kept talking, but her dropping volume rendered the rest of the sentence incoherent.

"Once again darling, please."

"Uh, I just, well. It scares me a little."

"Oh, I understand. I'm sorry about that. I suppose all of this is just a bit much, and finally being able to just ignore it all must be nice."

"What do you mean by…"

Then she looked down the hair clip on the table in front of her, and picked it up. She then sat down, pulled the feather out of her hair, and stuck it into the clip in some way. She then clipped it on her head, the antlers vanishing. She smiled.

"That's, so nice."

"So, this is pointless now, isn't it?" Said Twilight

"I, uh, well. No, Luna said I shouldn't wear it too much, and I won't, but for at least little bit it will be nice just to feel, normal."

"Okay, so Rarity, how about you pick up a book. You may have your limits when it comes to spells, but you have a good enough head for magic."

"I'd love to help Twilight."

"Ooo, can I help?"

We looked down to see Pinkie, who for some reason turned herself into her shorter filly form when we weren't looking, and was currently hiding under the table.

"Uh, well…" Began Twilight

"It would be nice, but…" uttered Fluttershy

"I will be honest Pinkie. It is doubtful you will be much help. Still, we appreciate the muffins. Surely there must be something else you need to do."

"Omigosh, you're right. I have to plan your I'm not all scary anymore party."

"Pinkie, I would rather not be reminded that…"

"Oh, I know. Even better, that evil hat is dead party. That's perfect."

Then she went under the table. I looked down, and she was gone. I then looked up again at the other two ponies in the room.

"I can't stop her now, can I?"

"Unlikely." Said Twilight

"It's Pinkie." Said Fluttershy "So, uh, maybe they'll just think…"

"That it's just Pinke being Pinkie." I smiled. "Yes, that is likely. Though perhaps some might remember certain things I said, so maybe I can at least get her to change the name again before the party."

"You might want to hurry."

I nodded and quickly left. Things weren't normal, but I felt good again. This party might even be fun if I could just change the name. I then I stopped. How many days of orders did I put aside? Also please let me be remembering wrong about putting Sweetie Belle in charge of the shop. Please let that whole conversation be nothing but a bit of madness induced delusion.