• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 939 Views, 9 Comments

Rarity vs. The Hat: RotE Episode 4 - Dream Volt



Rarity really dislikes Fluttershy's new hat.

  • ...
2
 9
 939

Bad ideas

Blinkie had just been staring at me for a good long time, doing nothing but blinking. Then suddenly she blinked very rapidly and turned away from me. She started sketching very quickly, a pencil hanging on a mechanical arm that held it just above the desk at a useful angle. It was easily pulled about, and by keeping it in place allowed a great deal of control. Most ingenious device, the sort of thing that every earth pony could use. She very quickly had a sketch on the pad of paper attached to the tilted desk.

"What is that?"

"What you really want."

I was about to say something else, but she tore it off and thrust it in my face. Very rude, but I don't know why I expected anything else. It was very rough, the ponies stick figures, but the idea clear enough. Some device would make the ground sticky, allowing one to remove the hat at one's leisure. I blinked.

"I asked for a flying machine."

"It's better if she can't even move. Also flying adds more variables, and if mystery resistance is still in the hat you increase likely hood of injury even more."

"Now you're worried about such things?"

"I always am." She laughed "The jet was perfectly safe. Child variable was the only problem. I need to study ponies more I think."

"So what is the most likely problem if you were to give me what I want?"

"You could crash, you could not make proper speed adjustments and overshoot, or crash into target. Hat grab could simply miss. The list continues."

"No thank you. So, will you do it?"

"It will need to brew. Device is ready, but there is no ammo. Come back tomorrow."

"But what do I do for the rest of the day?"

"I don't know. Try more plans. Maybe my sisters have an idea."

I turned away and walked outside the strange barn, Pinkie and Inky were outside. Inky seemed completely unaffected by Pinkie's actions, just continued pushing rocks around while humming a little tune. Pinkie was of course humming along.

"So, will she help?"

"Yes, but it will take some time. So Inky, do you have any ideas?"

"No, not really."

"Mish, mosh, mush, mosh." Added Pinkie, who then blinked. "Wait, I don't think I'm responding to the conversation in this universe, sorry."

"Oh, maybe I have one idea. We could try to get her to dance. She might shake the hat off that way."

"But she didn't dance at the party." Then Pinkie's eyes lit up "Oooo, I know. If I dance with her then she's sure to lose the hat, you can sing Inky. You're really good at that."

"I'm really not. Decibel or Octavia would be much better."

"Although this is still a strange thing to say, though strange and your family do get along very well don't they?"

"Yeppers." Added Pinkie

"But I was under the impression all three of you were the same pony. That being the case how can you possibly be worse than your other selves?"

Pinkie giggled. "She's just being a silly filly."

"I don't think that makes sense either actually."

"Come on, lets go." Pinkie grabbed Inky. "This will be so fun."

I then found myself following the sisters, not having much faith in this plan. Still, it might by some miracle work. That's all that mattered.