• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 941 Views, 9 Comments

Rarity vs. The Hat: RotE Episode 4 - Dream Volt



Rarity really dislikes Fluttershy's new hat.

  • ...
2
 9
 941

Thunder

"I can't stop thinking about that stupid hat."

Dream Volt was a strange pegasus. His laziness seemed all too familiar, and he was quite the handsome stallion. It was something else. The coloring wasn't it. Dark purple with a golden mane was quite attractive really, almost princely. Though my faith in all things princely was considerably undermined, and the more I talked to him the more I was glad he was taken. Of course even if I wasn't I would never dream of attempting such a thing. Though I had never actually met her.

"Uh, so, what do you want me to do exactly?"

I sighed. "You really should be paying more attention. You are good with lightning and thunder correct?"

"Yea, but really some other…"

"I think you are the best choice to help me. Ultimately you serve Luna correct? Also I'm sure Silent Sky would like you to help me."

"To scare her sister so badly as to unseat an article of clothing?"

"Touche."

"Fine, I'll do it. But only because I don't think it's going to work."

"What do you mean?"

"You really didn't think this through."

Then the door began to open and he flew up to the dark cloud he had moved into place before he understood the plan. I dove into a nearby bush. I felt my skin crawl, but just kept repeating to myself under my breath "I have a spell for this" over and over. It helped but I still didn't immediately focus on Fluttershy's front door. I looked over just in time to see Fluttershy look up at the cloud above her strangely.

"Well you look a might lost little one, don't you?" Fluttershy said

Then came the thunder, a bolt of lightning going right for her. He wings flapped slightly, and the lightning split around her like she was in some invisible dome. She didn’t' even flinch. A second bolt was nowhere near her, but much louder. She still didn't react at all. Fluttershy then walked off with a smile on her face. Then I looked up to see Dream dive at the cloud and scatter it with a speed I was surprised he possessed. He then landed in front of me and shook his head.

"I don't understand, Fluttershy is afraid of everything."

"She's still a pegasus. Even if that lightning had hit her it wouldn’t have hurt that much. Also her mother is a master weather technician. She told me she called for the thunderstorm because it helped her sleep."

"Called for what thunderstorm?"

"Oh, this was, I dunno, before Luna left on her trip, I'm on the reserve weather team like it or not, and because of Luna obviously the night shift."

"So you were part of a team that brought a thunderstorm to her? I didn't think you could ask for weather."

"Only bad weather, and only sometimes. She's apparently really bad at shaping clouds and such, and isn't on the reserves at all, but it sure doesn't scare her. There are two things no pegasai fear, one is lightning, the other heights."

"I know for a fact she is afraid of heights."

"Its probably falling, not heights. That's not the same thing. Trust me."

"And how are you so knowledgeable about it, hmmm?"

He looked down. "Because I love high places, but I'm totally afraid of falling, even though I have my own wings and know it's silly."

"I see. I need a new plan, or at least a new scare."

"I'd suggest asking Twilight but she's busy." He said

"Yes, she seemed quite excited by something."

"Luna brought back some data. See we took some of Blinkie's arcanometers with us and set them up all sorts of places. We not only got readings of mer-mares, but bunches of other ponies, and even some non-ponies. It's been a ton of traveling."

"Indeed. I would be most interested to hear it any other time but…"

"You're obsessed with the hat. I get it."

I pulled back. "Obsessed. I assure you good sir, I am not obsessed."

"Okay, if you say so. Can I go now?"

"Yes, I would like some help, but I am increasingly convinced you will be more a hindrance than help. Besides, sometimes it is best to simply be direct."

"Huh?"

"You'll see. Or perhaps you won't. It all depends on your plans and how long it takes me to catch up to her."

"Well you might want to hurry, I mean even if she does stay near the ground, flying is still a bit faster than walking."

"Ah, yes. Fare well and good day."

I then took off in a brisk trot after Fluttershy. She is by no means a fast flyer, but she can outpace me with little effort in the air. Normally she does not hurry, but if she has some appointment then it's possible.