• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 939 Views, 9 Comments

Rarity vs. The Hat: RotE Episode 4 - Dream Volt



Rarity really dislikes Fluttershy's new hat.

  • ...
2
 9
 939

A dress

I looked at the creation before me, and despaired. It was not nearly as bad as the Gala dresses I had made the girls after their input, yet, still, I could scarcely believe I had created such a banal, uninspired garment. I finished folding it up and placed it in its box. It was by no means ugly, but just so simple and plain. The yellow dress was perfectly nice, and looked quite nice on Ditzy, and since it was custom made was of course a perfect fit, but it just lacked any sort of fabulousness. At least she hadn't micro managed me, just told me she wanted a simple yellow dress and let me make it. I floated the box into Ditzy's now empty mailbag. She smiled broadly.

"Thank you very much miss Rarity. I will treasure it always."

"Why thank you Ditzy."

"Why don't you call me Derpy, everyone else does."

"It's just not proper. Ditzy is your name."

"But I ask them to call me that. How is it rude?"

"If you really wish to insist, but I prefer to call ponies by their proper names."

She then smiled. "Thank you very much Rarity. Now I must go, my little one will be out of school soon."

"Don't you usually refer to her as your little muffin."

Derpy frowned, briefly truly looking me in the eyes. "I used to, then I saw. I know what evil lurks in the hearts of muffins now. I know."

Then she flew out of the shop before I could respond. It was rather rude, but in truth I had lost track of time, and if she had stayed a moment later I would have had to ask her to leave so I could close the shop. Twilight told me to meet her in a field today for some reason I could not guess. Up until now the library or my lovely shop had served, but she insisted. I'm sure she had a good reason, and the dirt repelling spell she taught me was amazing, but the idea of going to Blinkie's dusty rock farm still bothered me. Also I was still wary of that sister of Pinkie's.

I quickly tided up things around the register, then was off. Once outside I had to take a moment to flip the sign to closed, and then I trotted down the street at a brisk, but not hurried pace. Then I turned a corner, and there it was. Atop Fluttershy's head was a black furry hat. Clearly Reinian in design, it was tall and at least one size too large for her, with a worn logo of some sort embroidered onto it. I assume it was some Reindeer symbol, but was so decayed I couldn't make it out. There was also that same red feather, stuck in the brim of the hat. Briefly I was inspired by how amazing she might look with a matching furred coat and boots, but then reality set in.

"Really now, that hat in the middle of summer? A major fashion faux paux. But don't you worry dear Rarity will…"

But Fluttershy was already gone. I then for the first time really noticed Rainbow standing there, shaking her head. I turned to her.

"And what is that for?"

"Rarity, it's just a hat, leave it alone."

"Oh come now, that sun hat was lovely, and the cowpony hat tacky yet cute on her, but that. No, that will just not do. I really must help the poor dear out and…"

"Rarity, she isn't going to let you take it off. Just leave it. She'll tell us when she's ready."

"Tell us what exactly Rainbow Dash?"

I walked right up to her and looked her strait in the eyes. She immediately looked away. Fluttershy sent me a letter she was missing this week's spa day as well. I then suddenly smiled broadly.

"Aha, the hat is hiding something, isn't it. Well that's just another reason to remove it. Come on Rainbow, I have an idea for little prank."

"You?" Rainbow smiled. "That's so awesome, I mean I didn't think you were the type but I bet you…" Then she frowned. "You mean the hat don't you. No. If you want help you'll need to get another pony."

"But Rainbow." I fluttered my eyelashes. "It's not like merely removing a hat is any great crime and aren't you curious?"

She looked away. "Well yea. I mean I think I sorta know now, but that's really just a guess." The she turned back to me. "But I'm not going to do anything."

I turned up my nose a bit. "Well no matter, I'll just do it myself." Then I blinked. "In fact I may not even need to. I shall simply confront her directly."

"Hey, if you can convince her to take it off, I got no problem, but I really don't think it's going to work."

"I can be quite persuasive Rainbow."

"Whatever. Hey, you seen Twi, I wanted to ask her a quick question."

"Oh dear, I nearly forgot. Fluttershy will just have to wait. I have an appointment."

"With Twi ya mean? Where?"

"Out on Blinkie's desolate waste of a farm and…"

Dash was in the air and gave me a wave. "Thanks Rares. I'll be done by the time you get there for sure, so don't worry."

Then she was off before I could object. I sighed. Not proper manners at all, but I suppose I should not really expect such from her at this point. If she would just slow down a bit and spend a little more time on grooming she could be quite the stallion killer. I still wasn't sure it was something she wanted. If you worked in fashion long enough you met enough mares and stallions of a certain persuasion that it became rather easy to tell if you just payed enough attention to the details. Yet with Rainbow I had no idea at all. I then trotted off, and refocused on Twilight and thoughts of magic.