• Published 17th Jan 2024
  • 1,686 Views, 72 Comments

Spike's New Adventure - San Dragon



Spike decided that being a servant is not the life worth living, so he decides to chase after a new purpose in life.

  • ...
1
 72
 1,686

First Step Forward

It's a typical evening at the Castle of Friendship for Spike the Dragon. Having completed the list of chores Twilight assigned him before leaving the castle with her friends for Princess Luna's birthday party in Canterlot, Spike got left behind. Princess Celestia sent a letter earlier in the day, requesting Twilight and her friends' presence in Canterlot to help prepare a surprise party for her sister, Princess Luna, late at night. Earlier in the day, Twilight made a mess in one of the libraries within the castle while studying. Spike spent all day cleaning and reshelving the books, scrubbing the interior windows, mopping and sweeping the floors. The job for one creature would kill anyone or make them quit after realizing how tedious the objective actually is.

Spike is by the balcony of the Castle of Friendship, and not even Starlight Glimmer is around; she's with Twilight and the girls in Canterlot, probably singing the Happy Birthday song to Princess Luna. Spike gazes at the night sky, wishing there's more to life than being a servant. After a few moments of star gazing, Spike turned away and retreated to his bedroom to read the latest issue of his comic book for relief.

Ten minutes into his Power Ponies comic, Spike's character, Hum-Drum, has decided to inform the team about quitting the force after feeling left out of the action and fun. Hum-Drum needed a new change for fulfillment as he was tired of being a doormat, a pushover, a nobody. The comic even explains the revelations behind the mask during social gatherings, get-togethers, and parties, and more about how he missed out on everything life gives to his friends and not him. Spike relates to Hum-Drum with his scenario in Equestria and reads the next page, wondering what Hum-Drum would be doing. At the end of the title card for Hum-Drum fans, it reads: LOOK OUT FOR ISSUE #1 OF HUM-DRUM'S ASCENSION! NEW VISION CITY!

Spike wonders if the new issue of Hum-Drum would have him start his own league of heroes or become a solo superhero. Then, Spike thought about the idea of his new fulfillment in life. He'll pronounce his resignation and leave Ponyville like his favorite Power Ponies Character, Hum-Drum.

Spike thought long and hard about ideal locations to settle since Ponyville and Canterlot are not so favorable; then the idea came to him, one place where he's glorified and praised among his peers, the Crystal Empire!

"YEAH!" Spike excitedly shouts in his bedroom, causing an echo throughout the Castle of Friendship. "The Crystal Empire would be perfect for me! Perhaps I can have a room in the Crystal Castle, have eyes all over the kingdom, and then spring into action whenever a crystal pony calls for help!" Spike imagines many scenarios about saving a family from robbers, defeating a gang of thugs, and solving mysteries the crystal guards couldn't figure out.

"Yeah," Spike releases a satisfying sigh after an hour of imagination running wild, daydreaming the many crystal ponies cheering, applauding, and showing gratitude for his hard work and actions. He falls asleep, dreaming of life at the Crystal Empire like a watchful guardian during the day and night, ensuring life thrives in peace, and any enemy daring to make a move would rue the decision once the Brave and Glorious intervenes and saves the day.

It's the crack of dawn in Ponyville; Spike dreamt wonderfully and woke up, smiling widely for the new day to embrace in his next chapter in life. Routinely, whenever Twilight Sparkle would leave Spike alone in the castle, all Spike could hear were his breaths; however, that didn't matter to him. If Twilight truly cared about Spike, she would have included him in Canterlot, helped prepare Princess Luna's birthday party, and celebrated with his friends and family. Right now, Spike starts packing his belongings, grabbing the essentials, some bits for his pouch, and snacks for the train ride to the Crystal Empire.

After packing, Spike grabs a scroll and quill to start writing his resignation to Princess Twilight Sparkle and confirming his status with Princess Celestia about his decision to leave and begin anew to achieve new goals for fulfillment. Spike started writing to Princess Celestia, addressing the letter for her and Twilight to understand his point of view and feelings.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I'm writing to you today about my resignation from being Twilight's Number One Assistant. I have thought about my decision for quite some time during the days I would spend solitude at the Castle of Friendship whenever Twilight Sparkle would embark on a quest or spend time with her friends.

Princess Celestia, you're probably wondering why I didn't arrive yesterday to partake in the celebration of Princess Luna's birth; well, the truth is, Princess Twilight Sparkle issued me a chore list to complete, especially with the disaster of a mess in her library yesterday. I attempted to ask about my availability once I completed my task; however, she turned a deaf ear and left me in the Castle of Friendship. I wholeheartedly believed Twilight thought I would be too tired to come when I finished and would pass out on the train ride to Canterlot Castle. Honestly, though, I have no ill will against Twilight Sparkle, but this gave me time to reflect on my life, and for many years since moving to Ponyville, my life has been dull, boring, and lonesome. I have my guys' night with Applejack's brother, Big McIntosh, and Discord; however, I don't have many friends to spend time with.

Empress Ember and Thorax are ruling their nations and don't have much time for me. My pool of friends is slim, and since Twilight Sparkle hangs with her friends and excludes me, what's the point of staying when I'm unhappy? That's the other topic of this discussion.

Unhappiness.

Recently, I haven't been much of myself. I feel like Princess Luna imprisoned on the moon, isolated, quiet, and with no one to interact with. Unfortunately, before I decided to achieve something new in life, I had perfected the fake smile to ensure that my demeanor was calm with no worries whatsoever. I would lie about my feelings to Twilight Sparkle since she would ignore me whenever I wanted to talk. It was a defense mechanism to avoid my internal struggles and fight off my demons whenever they poked me and reminded me of my appearance being different. If I had the body of a pony, Twilight would be more attentive to me and more welcome to join the festivities. Maybe not. I don't know anymore.

All I want in my life is to strive for greatness, and being Twilight Sparkle's Number One Assiant would only hold me back; therefore, I will be leaving Ponyville and venturing into the Crystal Empire since I'm known as the Brave and Glorious among the crystal ponies. I want to live up to the name, become an active hero, go on adventures, make new friends, and enjoy life.

Thank you for understanding, Princess Celestia, and if you're reading this to Twilight Sparkle or if Twilight is reading the letter loudly to every pony in the room, throne room, or breakfast hall, don't come and change my mind. There's nothing you can say to divert me to the Castle of Friendship; I have nothing to gain in Ponyville. I'm just wasting away with tedious jobs and cleaning messes.

Sincerely,
Spike the Dragon

P.S. Don't guilt-trip me or make any promises to change and bring me back to Ponyville; Princess Twilight Sparkle has her destiny to someday rule Equestria. I would have nothing, just a spectator to her accomplishments as I have none. Also, send help to clean the freaking castle, it's too much for one creature to endure, and I've done it alone for years! It kills me when I'm too tired and do it again the next day without help!!

Spike takes a breather after slowly writing for an hour, his heart pounding and his mind racing. He stares at the ceiling, weighing his thoughts to send the letter now or wait until he boards the train departing Ponyville.

"I should send it during the train ride; if I do it now, Twilight will teleport here and ask me a flurry of questions, giving me an earache about staying instead."

Spike puts on his backpack, glances at his bedroom, and shuts the door to begin his new path into greatness rather than darkness. He walks down the corridors of the Castle of Friendship and ponders the replacement to uphold the cleaning, cooking, and performing the tasks necessary while Twilight enjoys her life. Spike wonders if Princess Celestia would send new hires to the Castle of Friendship and become Princess Twilight's new maids and butlers to help around after realizing how brutal one creature endured the chore list.

Opening the Castle of Friendship's doors, Spike gets blinded by the bright sunlight hitting his face, like a new chapter is about to begin. The sun rising on a sweet spring's day, the smell of freshly mowed lawns, the sounds of fillies and colts playing, every pony enjoying each other's company and going along with their business; Spike sees everyone enjoying life blissfully and will uphold the same experiences at the Crystal Empire, with some weapons training from Shining Armor and the crystal guards, if permitted by Princess Cadance after hearing his side of the story and reasoning for not appearing at Princess Luna's birthday party last night. Many neighbors greet him and ask how the Princess of Friendship is doing, wondering if Twilight is on a friendship quest or commencing the acclaimed School of Friendship, one in which Spike didn't want to partake, knowing more responsibilities that'll delay his growth on finding his path for succession.

Spike buys his ticket to the Crystal Empire, although when the station pony notices Twilight's dragon, she wants to give him the ticket freely since Spike is somewhat royalty; however, Spike insists on paying, making himself feel better that he did something on his own without Twilight's influence. It made Spike more free from Twilight's shadow than he'll ever know when taking the first step into the new chapter of his life.

The 8:37 train arrives at the station, and many ponies depart and board the train. Spike sighs in relief after having anxiety about meeting Twilight and her friends on the same train. He believes everyone is having breakfast before leaving Canterlot by train to enjoy the scenery and resuming their duties in Ponyville.

Spike boards the train and hands his ticket to the conductor; he goes to the front of the train and sits down, placing his backpack next to him like a friend, staring out the window, waiting for the engines to ignite and move. Staring at the skies while the weather team moves clouds for a supposed rain storm later in the day, Spike holds onto the resignation letter and rereads what he wrote.

"Well, here goes something," Spike wraps the scroll nicely and addresses the title as urgent importance to display the seriousness of his decision-making. He breathes his fire at the scroll, magically teleporting the resignation letter to Princess Celestia in Canterlot, wherever she is with Twilight and her friends.