• Published 15th Jan 2024
  • 725 Views, 32 Comments

My Little Rogue Trader - Tyrannosaurus_Tux



Nothing about this is as I remember... but then, again, I don't remember anything about being a space privateer with a pony retinue.

  • ...
4
 32
 725

13 - Stuck

The memory sensation of my first-ever kiss with Twilight was still on my lips as the fog of the dream rolled away. I opened my eyes to see... darkness. I tilted my head to see... anything, but my head wouldn't budge. I tried my hands. Nothing. My feet too. I curled my torso and tried to lean forward, or back... useless. I was stuck, wherever I was. I could still breathe, and still move my jaw, but that was about it. As I began to calm down, I became aware of... needles jabbed into my back. Oh, I hate that. I breathed. Finally, I rolled my eyes.

Nothing else for it.

"Hello?" I called out, my voice sounding all the louder in my ears

as if I'd stuck my head into a bucket and screamed. I winced.

Nothing... at first. I waited for several long seconds. I couldn't even relax. I've been bound down by something I can't see in a box. Time to think. What was happening?

There was... Old Edo, standing there. Then, he burst as a lot of multicolor pain hit him... me, at once. Then he disintegrated into a golden mist mid-air and slammed into me. I lost consciousness and then had a good dream, all things considered. I closed my eyes. Maybe if I fell asleep again, I would remember more of that day. Then, a light. It was a screen, right in front of my face. It displayed... outside of my... cell.

They think I'm possessed by a daemon. ...Maybe I am. How do I tell? I should ask.

"How do I know... I'm not possessed by a daemon?" I asked, quietly. I looked around on the screen. It was the room Twilight had set aside for my protection. I saw an excessive amount of decoration and gold anywhere. I could not see anyone else here, though... I could see more that was piled on top. Strips of parchment, glued to the walls by red, stamped wax. Images of skulls, ponies, humans... I saw a symbol. I remembered... something, but my brain didn't itch this time. It consisted of a letter P over a letter X. It was... a Chi Rho.

A Christogram. I remember now. I saw some on the Word Bearers and their... non-Astartes soldiery. I should ask about that, too. No, wait... Church Warbands. Brothers and Sisters of Battle. Quorums of Commandos, carrying scriptures and explosives. Some felt that our Imperium did not have enough armies of Astartes, Men, and Imperium-kin under arms, so some congregations started to... arm themselves. I shivered at the thought. Tithes can pull in enough money for an army and then some.

Finally, I saw somebody else in the room. It was... not Polarscale. It was a dragon techpriest, but not as large. A descendant? She... she had pink scales. The same kind of robes. She was walking around, swinging an incense burner as she went. I listened. I... couldn't hear anything in here. I had to make myself heard.

"Hey!"

The dragoness stopped and looked at my prison. I shouted again, as hard as I could. I deafened myself with the sound.

"Hey!"

This time, the dragoness responded but did not address me. Instead, she said, coldly, "Subject is awake. Beginning scan."

A white light flooded my prison, blinding me. When it faded, I could see this new dragon stare off into space. She was... reading my vitals. Good... I think.

"Can you hear me?"

She nodded. She noted, "Subject is attempting communication. Logging..."

I sighed. How clinical. Although...

"Report, techpriestess," I commanded. I actually heard how my voice was transmitted outside.

She nodded, before shaking her head. "Negative. I answer to Magos Polarscale and the Rogue Trader Edo Von Hassia, not to metaphysical squatters."

I laughed, bitterly.

"You mean the potential daemon stuck in my head," I clarified.

She nodded.

"How..." I thought, trying my best to diplomatically assess the situation. "How would I know? What can I even... do?"

The dragon blinked. I heard a slight buzzing from her skull. She paced, swinging the incense-burning golden orb back and forth. I listened. She was... praying. Praying... for me. I listened, hands flexing uselessly. Her words were reverent, but her voice... almost fearful. Desperate.

"From the predation of the foe, our Emperor deliver us.

From the darkness between stars, our Solarch show the path.

From the ignorance of old night, our Omnissiah teach us.

From the ashes of war, our Primarchs unite us."

She looked pointedly at my prison, shivering. Her mechadendrites flexed around her waist. I closed my eyes, feeling the light try to bleed through my eyelids as the words settled into my mind like flakes of blackened soot.

"From the thorny path, our Rogue Traders prosper us."

I heard a mechanical door opening, but it didn't stop the dragon from continuing to pray. I'll call her Raspberry. I heard many beings step into the room. Definitely hooves. Definitely steel-clawed toes. Definitely ceramite-armored boots.

A crowd began to gather around me. I could... feel it. I opened my eyes, barely able to see even a portion of the crowd. In the corner of my eye, I could see a red speaker symbol. None could hear me in here. I gasped.

Twilight was there, in the back of the crowd. I looked closer, then around the limited field of vision. Silver Sword, Cherry Heart, Azure Fire, and Forest Grace. I saw them all. They stared at my tin-can coffin.

No, not a coffin. I won't stay in here. I flexed again. I strained. I saw my crew, my Princesses, the Word Bearers, and the Church Militia. They all knelt... to pray. Their voices droned as one. It was a prayer practiced in unison, with many voices speaking as one.

"From the predation of the foe, our Emperor deliver us.

From the darkness between stars, our Solarch show the path.

From the ignorance of old night, our Omnissiah teach us.

From the ashes of war, our Primarchs unite us.

From the thorny path, our Rogue Traders prosper us."

I felt... the sensation of warmth course through my veins. Here, at last, I could feel my extremities.

My Light Within! I could see it reflected in their closed eyes! What was happening?! I looked, and even my Princesses were praying! They were chanting, pleading! I felt... glorious, ruinous light! The only time I felt like this was... the Psykhanium! I overexerted myself then, but I could hear the prayers of my followers!

"Father in Heaven, deliver the Rogue Trader Edo von Hassia from darkness.

Lamb of God, redeem us and the Rogue Trader Edo von Hassia.

Spirit of Heaven, whisper to us the way forward for us and the Rogue Trader Edo von Hassia.

Emperor of Mankind, shield the Rogue Trader from the predators of unreality.

Solarch of Ponykind, guide the Light of Hope upon us and the Rogue Trader Edo von Hassia.

Omnissiah of Mars, shield us and the Rogue Trader Edo von Hassia from ignorance.

Edo von Hassia of Earth... prosper us. Walk the path of thorns with us towards a bright home."

I twitched violently, unable to control these impulses I now feel. What was happening?! Belief... the warp! It makes belief real! Old Edo! What was your plan!? Why did you teach your faith to the space marines!? Why did you accept the title of Rogue Trader?! Light and electricity raced up and down my veins. I screamed, but nobody outside heard!

"From the predation of the foe, our Emperor deliver us.

From the darkness between stars, our Solarch show the path.

From the ignorance of old night, our Omnissiah teach us.

From the ashes of war, our Primarchs unite us.

From the thorny path, our Rogue Traders prosper us."

I screamed out loud, spitting blood spattering the screen in front of me. "Help! Help me!"

But nobody heard. They continued their prayer.

"Father in Heaven, deliver the Rogue Trader Edo von Hassia from darkness.

Lamb of God, redeem us and the Rogue Trader Edo von Hassia.

Spirit of Heaven, whisper to us the way forward for us and the Rogue Trader Edo von Hassia.

Emperor of Mankind, shield the Rogue Trader from the predators of unreality.

Solarch of Ponykind, guide the Light of Hope upon us and the Rogue Trader Edo von Hassia.

Omnissiah of Mars, shield us and the Rogue Trader Edo von Hassia from ignorance.

Edo von Hassia of Earth... prosper us. Walk the path of thorns with us towards a bright home."

I shook uncontrollably. "Stop! Stop it!" I screamed, my voice becoming hoarse!

Remember your ambition, Rogue Trader!

"And what even is that?!" I hollered, feeling moisture coat my face. "To get rich?! To marry a lot of ponies with horns and wings!? To conquer a hundred planets!? Tell me! Tell me, you damn ghost!"

The crowd continued to pray.

Heaven was denied to us, Edo! All our faith, all our work, for nothing! There is nothing after death! No heaven, no eternal life, no reunion with our families and our ancestors! Nothing but hell, but the warp!

"I... have a family!" I strained.

You have a new family now, yes! What of your father!? Your mother!? Your brother, and your sisters!? Do you even remember them?!

I wept bitterly. I saw their faces?

That damned serpent, that traitor took all that from us! Made us his pissant pawn! A weapon to wield against dark gods!

"What... What do you want from me?!" I screamed.

To play your part! Help the Imperium cast down the idols of the immaterium! After we raze hell, we'll make our new garden! Our new Eden! We'll build the correct afterlife from the corpses of the gods!

My skull rang from strange, blasphemous words.

Let the Warp burn!!

"Alright, alright, alright! Stop screaming!" I shouted, losing my voice. "Out! Out, stupid ghost!"

I had no choice. I drew on the Light.

"Out!"

The overpowering sound reached outside, silencing the crowd. Silencing Old Edo. Finally, it was quiet inside. I breathed heavily. My outburst broke the screen. I was bathed in darkness. I closed my eyes. Moisture irritated my eyes anyway. I tried not to think about what the moisture even was.

I breathed. In... out. In... out. I remembered the words of the prayer.

From the predation of the foe, our Emperor deliver us.

From the darkness between stars, our Solarch show the path.

From the ignorance of old night, our Omnissiah teach us.

From the ashes of war, our Primarchs unite us.

From the thorny path, our Rogue Traders prosper us.

Amen.

A voice, from outside.

"...Edo?" It was Twilight. She spoke softly as if she wasn't sure I was even in here.

I straightened out the best I could. I swallowed, and let my voice be heard.

"Get me the hell out of this thing!"


I tried not to think about it. I tried not to think about it. I tried not to think about it.

I failed.

Sighing, I took another bite. Green leaves crunched beneath my teeth, along with a cheesy, saucy taste. I swallowed. I took a moment to steady my hands.

I was back in my Captain's quarters. Eating salad. The most mundane of things, but mundane was all I could hope for. The chandelier of the room was replaced by a hanging Gellar Field Generator, a soft humming affirming the reality around me. Daemons cannot touch me here. They cannot hurt me here.

I took a moment to steady my hands. I hope that includes the ghost of my past.

"Rogue Trader to the bridge," called out the intercom. I recognized Polarscale's tired voice. I stood up, preparing to depart. I looked at my half-eaten meal, then took the carton.

Nobody would defy my decision to eat on the bridge. No one.

The door opened to the bridge, and everyone stood to attention.

"At ease," I commanded, through a mouthful of salad. "Commence warp translation."

Polarscale rushed to my side, helping me up the steps to my Throne.

"Thank you, my friend," I said softly. He nodded.

"Very professional, Lord Captain," he chided. I shrugged. He sighed. "But you've... been having a rough time of it. I won't hold it against you."

I had a giggle fit. "How gracious, Magos," I teased. I shoveled the last of my salad into my gullet as I felt the ship leave the warp. I held onto the box, but Steelmane had other ideas as my box lifted out of view. To be honest, I was... rather distracted with the new view.

Home. Hassia. A blue orb with continents I instantly recognized. We arrived on the night side of the planet, and I could see the glow of my hive cities, the biggest being... Hassia Prime. A series of spires and towers that touched the sky. Naturally, the ship was headed towards the tallest one. The planet itself was covered in a veritable cloud of starships. Defense screens, merchant convoys, Imperial Navy cruisers, and even a few Legion Astartes ships were present.

I commented, "These are much better digs than our manor in Harmony Den, Quartermaster."

Polarscale glanced at me, eyes widening. "You remember," he remarked.

"I dreamed it before I came to in the daemon pod... thing," I explained. Speaking of explaining... "Where are the Princesses right now?"

Polarscale paused, then said, "They're making preparations for our arrival. Come," he beckoned.

Time to face my nephew... whoever that was. And the other Rogue Traders, as well. I breathed in. Their names were... Ricarda Cremont Lomathier, and... Cota Braidi Vlucht.

The first was somebody that nobody aboard liked. The Lomathier Dynasty carried with it the old Aquiliean trappings. A carry-over from Ricarda's time in the land of the griffons. She had a... reputation. I wasn't sure I could believe any of the nasty things being said about her. My family insisted that I should believe it, though.

The Vlucht Dynasty, however... I was glad to hear that we were good friends. I saw what I was told was a very Zebrican style to his portrait. He was a redhead, wearing his red mullet long, and his mustache was opulent and imperial. He wore aviator shades, a flight jacket, and carried a pilot's helm. I'm told he is very fond of flying.

Both of the portraits I had seen spoke to their arrogance. Something that might've impressed upon me magnificently had I not seen my own arrogant portrait next to theirs.

Three continents of Equus, three Auric Rogue Traders. I was told there were more, but not how many more. I saw more portraits, but could not recall their features.

"Edo," Polarscale urged. "Your shuttle waits."

I rose from my throne.


When I stepped out of the shuttle, I was not expecting a memorial garden. There were many statues, many trees, many well-kept paths, flowering bushes, and lawns. I was... dumbfounded. The shuttle had not gone to the tallest spire, after all, and had set down well away from any civilization. It seems I was on my own personal island mansion. Still, I was able to see a great many things in the far distance to the east...

The Hive City of Hassia Prime. I gasped. It called to mind the painting of the great city I had in my room. It was... magnificent. A pyramid of spires, all in pale colors. A living city, housing, feeding, and employing billions of people. It was one of the greatest achievements of man... and even this shining city in the distance was bent towards the purpose of war. Its academies, factories, foundries, and arsenals all labored for one purpose; the destruction of the enemies of man. I shook away the thought and walked my grounds.

"I'll be fine," I had said before taking some "me" time. Truthfully, it would've been nice to have at least my Princesses to accompany me, or even the Magos. No, I just needed to be alone for a while, away from the warp. Away from... it all. I saw a six-winged butterfly zip on past. I smiled. A pleasant surprise. One among many nasty ones. I looked at the healthy gardens. I saw a stone bench and sat down on it. Despite being made of stone, it wasn't all that cold to the touch. I leaned back against the carved back-rest, and just... watched. Listened. My Princesses were off hanging out by themselves, as well. Polarscale was nowhere else to be found. Must be taking care of something. Seneschal Spike, too. Steelmane was still serving her sentence.

I should order some downtime for the crew. They've earned it. I should... I sighed. I leaned back and closed my eyes. I can worry about all my "I should"s later. I took a deep breath. I smelled the woods, the grass, and the flowers. The fresh air was... intoxicating. The air inside the Mercy's Nature Temple was amazing, but this...? It was almost... no, it was worth all the torture. I shivered. I have to believe. I must have faith. It all means something. It has to. I noticed my shaking hands. I breathed to steady myself.

I looked around again. Perhaps I will see another one of those Hassian butterflies. However, a purring, rumbling noise to my left caused me to look. I stood up because it was clearly an engine of some kind. My eyes widened. Not just an engine. An aircraft. It buzzed overhead suddenly, a mundane sort of thrill overtaking my senses as the buzzing wings carried this dragonfly-like flying machine away, banking to the left. An insect-like flying machine with buzzing wings? An... ornithopter? After seeing all that I had since I woke up, this didn't seem so strange.

It was after the buzzing had gone that I heard a cheery laughter from behind me. The sort of laughter that one hears after hooking a large fish. I did not turn around yet, instead intently searching for where the almost alien craft had gone.

"Did the latest toys from Vlucht Aerospace spook you, Uncle?"

The somewhat mocking voice called me... uncle? He called me uncle. I froze. That could mean... only one thing. One of my nephews was here. I was about to find out why my entire crew seemed to conspire against me knowing just who or even what they were. I turned around.

On the path, walking towards me... was a red-skinned giant. He stood well twice my height, somehow even taller than the Astartes I met before. He wore simple white robes and some jewelry, but... an image of golden armor sprang to mind. That and... astounding powers. Powers that rivaled even the Emperor. His crimson red hair was long, cupped by a golden hairpiece. He only showed me one of his eyes... the other was closed. As he approached me, this... crimson king, this... arch-human, this... Primarch oppressed me without his even intending to. As he approached, I could see him give me a soft smile, clearly unaware of the stress I was under. The stress that manifested in me saying aloud the first thing that came to mind.

"Dang, nephew. You've grown. What the hell have I been feeding you?"

Author's Note:

A wild Magos Polarscale appears, drawn by none other than yours truly.

Who should I draw next?